Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

hooah posted:

Are questions about emulators automatically :filez:?

For what system? If it's old it's probably cool.

2c. What about Roms/Abandonware We allow whatever is allowed on the underdogs to be posted here (within reason). We also allow anything that isn’t commercially available or easily purchased, within reason. Check with a mod before hand. However we do not allow rom sets or random torrents and anyone REQUESTING files will be punished. This is not a file forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

fishmech posted:

Additionally though, if it's just loose money on the ground there's no real way for the police to find whose it is (unless the person who lost it meticulously recorded all the serial numbers). Turning in a wallet is expected since there can be secondary identification and all that, but loose money on the ground belongs to whoever finds it.

Within reason. If you come across a sack that fell off an armored car or an ATM spitting out cash, no, you can't legally keep that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Probably doesn't fully answer your question, but you can expedite your passport so you can get it much quicker than usual - It just costs more.

Unless you are really hard up against a deadline during a busy time of year this is a waste of money. When I got a passport a couple years ago (even shortly before you needed one to go to Canada) I got my birth certificate back in a couple days and the passport itself in like a week.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

dsh posted:

I want to go to a NFL game, never having done this, what's the best way to buy tickets? Is stubhub my best option? That's all my friends know.

In what city? Some stadiums are sold out for 20 years, and some in places you could get tickets below face value outside the stadium on game day.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Wagonburner posted:

Still I'd prefer no petroleum involved at all but I was hungry and paper wasn't working on its own this time.

One of these is by far the best way to get a charcoal grill going

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Spermando posted:

I'm looking for a gaming website that had a stark black and white design. The reviews they uploaded were long-winded rants about nothing in particular. Does anyone remember that place?

Old Man Murray?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

haveblue posted:

They're from the new My Little Pony show. There was a TVIV thread where lots of adults defiantly proclaimed their love for this cartoon for little girls by buying avatars for themselves and others, then it got to be too much and the topic was banned.

Was this ironic or meta or something? I couldn't figure out why those threads existed and sure as hell wasn't going to try and read one to find out. The fact that the topic got entirely banned makes me think I made the right decision.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Knightmare posted:

In Germany you can definitely get a ticket for calling a police officer "a loving nazi" and such. I think tickets go up to a couple thousand dollars too if I remember right.

That's Germany. In the US, it's 100% legal to give the finger to a cop or tell them "gently caress you" or whatever.

Some police departments have even gone as far to train their officers about this because they were tired of writing settlement checks to people who got cited for "disorderly conduct" or something when they mouthed off like that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

Are you near vegas? You could take it to Gold and Silver Pawn Shop and probably get on an episode of Pawn Stars. That seems like the kind of thing that would make it to air, especially if it has some signatures of people who are super famous now but got their start working on soaps.

Other than that I'd advise you to check ebay t or see if there are any memoribilia shops near you.

They bought a guy's original script to Goldfinger for $500. Don't they always say that scripts are hard to sell and not worth that much money even when they do sell them? Yes, they want to buy things as cheap as possibly but I don't think they turned that Goldfinger script around for like $5,000 either.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

Was the Goldfinger script signed? With something like a script that's signed by the whole cast, you're selling the signatures more than the script. It could be worth something if, like I said, it's signed by someone that's an A- or B-list celebrity now but was working bit roles on TV back when that script was produced.

Of course I'm by no means an expert, and everything I've learned about selling Hollywood memoribilia has come from third hand stories or episodes of Pawn Stars.

Another time a guy brought in a Heat of the Night script signed by a ton of people including Carroll O'Connor (Archie Bunker) and they didn't even make him an offer.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Elijya posted:

Disbarment. Lawyers are supposed to give their clients the best defense possible, even if they know they are guilty.

Defense attorneys are still prohibited from suborning perjury, however. They can't put someone, even their client, on the stand that they know is going to lie.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Ego-bot posted:

If someone were to get their achilles tendon completely severed, are they pretty much hosed for the rest of their life? Or can a person go back to normal after surgery and healing?

According to the show Oz, they'd be hosed.

Well I suppose if someone did it with a prison shank it might be different but Dan Marino, for example, had his completely ruptured during an NFL game and came back just fine after surgery.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Pressure posted:

How do sites like StubHub operate?

I'm going to be travelling around the US and had a look at their site for baseball tickets. As it looks like there are some tickets below face value. Will I have any trouble using them? Or should I just spend the extra $10 and buy tickets from mlb.com?
Also there are a lot above face value. Is it not against the law to sell tickets above their face value? I have tickets for college football (bought normally, not off stubhub) and they specifically mention that it is illegal to sell these tickets for a profit. How have they not been sued and shutdown? I know it mentions that ticket holders set the price, but how can this remove the responsibility of the site, especially in the view of the courts?

StubHub is perfectly legal and safe for you to use. I've gotten good deals on tickets below face value and they always came on time (or downloaded instantly) and always worked at the gate.

As for the legality of what they do to begin with, welcome to corporate America. Stubhub's hardly the first or only big-time ticket broker.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Wagonburner posted:

Do cable companies report that up somewhere for tv ratings to get based on any of that? Or they still using the weird small sample nielsen thing?

You really don't need that big of a sample size to generate statistically significant and accurate findings even on a scale as big as the U. S. population.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Gravity Pike posted:

Are there any professional sports leagues that do not prohibit performance-enchaining drugs? Part of me realizes that I'm monstrous for this, but I kind of want to see what a team of the best football players that science can build looks like.

You're already seeing it. The absolute best PEDs aren't discovered by the testing that sports leagues use. And the NFL testing program has been mocked as being more of an intelligence test than a drug test, since it's easy to beat no matter what you are taking as long as you are smart about it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

You might want to set your DVR too, it's going to be re-run late at night starting September 5 on Teen Nick, along with Rocko's Modern Life.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

marshmallard posted:

Why is eBay making these changes?

The previous system prevented some buyers from leaving honest Feedback since they feared retaliation from the sellers if they left a negative. This made the Feedback system less reliable for buyers as a means of identifying the best and worst sellers. In addition, many buyers who received retaliatory negative Feedback reduced their activity on eBay, which in turn harmed sellers. [read 'our bottom line']

This is why. Negative feedback was used by poo poo sellers to threaten/retaliate way, way more than was being used on non-paying bidders or whiners or whatever. Some assholes even had it in their listings. "CONTACT ME FIRST with problems. DO NOT leave negative feedback! I will leave it for you NO MATTER WHAT!"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Wait, I thought the extent of Dick Cheney being "for" gay marriage was that he thought states should get to decide. Not exactly "apply Loving v. Virginia to gay marriage".

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

In the 2010/2011 NFC wildcard game between the Saints and Seahawks, why were they playing in Seattle? The Saints had a better record and they beat the Seahawks in regular season, so why didn't the Saints get home field advantage?

The Seahawks won their crap division

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Where do you go to university that hasn't banned smoking virtually everywhere?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Also people who complain about the post office not making a profit drive me nuts.

I bet these people complain every time the cost of stamps goes up a penny or two as well.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

2508084 posted:

Question: I just upgraded my phone with sprint and picked it up in store (in California, if it matters). The phone totaled $0.00 (free upgrade, it retails for 399.99 according to the receipt), but I paid ~$30 in tax on it. Why?

You might have gotten ripped off. Apparently, California is no longer supposed to collect sales tax on pre-discount prices.

http://www.limonwhitaker.com/2012/01/sales-tax-for-online-coupon-in-california-axed/

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

recon_etc posted:

Why do soccer/association football clubs seem to have so many players? Eleven on the field and three substitutes is fourteen. And yet Arsenal has 29 on their first-team squad, and Manchester United has 34, which is more than double the minimum amount of players. Am I just really underestimating the frequency of football injuries or something?

So they can con Americans into paying hundreds of dollars to see them play a friendly against an MLS team and then have only the scrubs play :v:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

BonHair posted:

I think maybe you didn't think this through. The obvious answer is to do a headstand with some nachos.

Mr. Wizard did this once, although not with nachos. It still worked

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Golbez posted:

Right. The band sees the same amount of money, the fans pay more. Which means fans get pissed off, and the band sees less money than they would have if they'd either priced the tickets higher. Do they care about this lost goodwill and money, is my question.

And, weirdly, it wasn't Ticketmaster. I hate to say this, but Ticketmaster would have handled it better than AXS did.

Didn't LCD Soundsystem buy back a bunch of tickets to their final show and raffle them off to their fan club?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

On a scale of Columbus Day to Christmas, how common is getting a holiday on Presidents Day vs. having to go to work?

Columbus Day. Don't expect the day off unless you work in government or banking.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Golbez posted:

Now that I'm in Iowa, here's a fun regional grammatical weirdness: Needs xed. For example, straight from a billboard outside: "Does your sign need serviced?" Iowans don't notice this as being wrong at all, but my outsider brain sees the mistake of not saying either "Does your sign need servicing" or "Does your sign need to be serviced?"

It's all over the place. "That server needs fixed." augh it just grinds at my soul.

I didn't know this was such a midwest thing. It's really high up on the Pittsburgh dialect lists too, perhaps only behind "yinz" and "dahntahn".

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Do you have a solar cover? Those work wonders for heating up a pool and keeping the heat in at night.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Even if the camera saw you, they're going to blur your face.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

b0nes posted:

What's up with all the fake Air Jordan sites that have been popping up lately? I assume they are fakes, but good ones. I see them posted all over facebook. I thought the US cracked down on people importing fakes, unless they are made in the US.

It's whack-a-mole. ICE can't possibly keep up with everyone selling fake sneakers, handbags, sports jerseys, etc.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I'll never understand why the Capalert guy thinks harry potter is Satan in a wizard's form but Mary Poppins is the only movie to ever get a perfect score.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

A while back I found a Christian film review site with insanely high standards, more often than not finding children's movies totally unacceptable. Anyone know what they're called?

CAP alert?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Do you live in a small enough town that the just the fact that someone went through your car is of even the slightest interest to the police? As part of some kind of pattern, maybe?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Wandering Knitter posted:

What's the best way to wash a baseball cap? I have to wear one while I work and after a single day it's mostly soaked in sweat. Difficulty: I have to turn it in at the end of the season so I can't do anything that might wreck it.

What's it made out of? Cotton, polyester, wool, acrylic?

Those hat stores at the mall also sell spray bottles of cleaning stuff.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

Don't get me started. I'm all for privatizing liquor sales, but this was a lovely, lovely referendum. The sooner I move out of this godawful state the better.

Don't come to Pennsylvania. As far as I can tell, all the "privatize liquor sales!" poo poo here means "Oh, you're still hosed about what you can buy and where you can buy it, but the liquor stores will be run by whoever bids the most instead of the PLCB". So it will mean jack poo poo to consumers, not have any long-term financial benefit to the state, and really only serve the purpose of busting the union of the people who currently work at the state-run liquor stores.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Hoops posted:

I know there are huge stores of silver dollars, Presidential coins and Sacagawea coins that are legally required to be produced but the treasury just can't get rid of. There was a big scam running where you could buy them at face value on a credit card, and get the airmiles, but they've shut it down. There's an episode of the Planet Money podcast (more than one, I think), that describes it.

99% of the people selling coins on tv also have no connection at all to the government. The US Mint does sell retail coin products but there are other "mints" that are either producing replicas or selling a private collection.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

On the TVIV weekly 24 threads, Chloe went from psycho spergin' bitch to awesome nerd girl to yeah, yeah, we get it already.

The actress IS awesome, though.

She said on a late night show (Conan, I think) that she stopped reading 24 message boards after people started calling her "potato face"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Eggplant Wizard posted:

There's a gif thread in PYF that has some guidelines in the OP, and you can ask gif making tips there too.

Why is your (and many other posters') custom title Walgreens-brand peanut butter?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Tony Bologna posted:

I work in Texas and I was wondering what is the legal stance behind not having any official breaks, most of the time I'm lucky if I can finish a smoke, let alone take a poo poo while on the clock. Should there be two clerks on duty and should I contact the Texas Workforce Commission?

In Texas your employer is not required to give you any. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

If you scroll to the bottom a lot of them have a link for "view desktop site" or "view full version" or something like that.