Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
On a scale from "Well it isn't .com, but so what?" to "Filter with extreme prejudice ala .ru/.cn," how trustworthy is India's .in TLD?

I'd like to register a CLEVER DOMAIN, and it's a .in. If I were to use it for email, how hosed would I be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

A Strange Aeon posted:

So if an album is $16 and change, the artist actually only gets like $1.60? That's insane--why should anyone feel guilty about downloading music or whatever if actually buying their album earns them so little? So what's the best way to support a band you like? Do they make more money from ticket sales to their shows and merch sold at shows?

1.60 sounds high.

Pennies on the dollar is the norm. Indie labels/bands will generally do a bit better, but not much.

The primary source of revenue for most bands is ticket sales and merchandise. Note that if you buy the album directly from the band, they keep the 'retail' cut of the purchase price too, which is usually pretty sizable.

A lot of this has to do with the fact that most of a bands revenue from album sales gets skimmed off the top to recoup the costs of recording and producing the album. It used to be the case (though this has improved somewhat, it still happens, but more rarely), that most bands didn't see *any* revenue from album sales until they sold millions of copies - whatever cut they would have received would be skimmed off the top to recoup the cost of recording the album, which the labels advance to them was considered a 'loan' for the financing thereof.

This essay by Steve Albini is pretty legendary on the subject: http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
What's the cheapest way to get a copy of Windows 7 these days?

Alternately, I do have a legit copy around, but it's an upgrade copy and I no longer have my XP discs - is there any way I can get it installed on a new MacBook without those?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Is there a good resource out there for getting the most out of juggling 20 different hotel reward points/frequent flyer programs?

Like, tips on new double point promos that are showing up or whatever?

I have, out of nowhere, become a 'frequent business traveller' or whatever, and while I am racking up tons of points on the company dime, I could use some tips for getting more out of the whole process/using them effectively.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

For questions specific to rewards, I would try this thread instead.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3252512

I don’t contribute to it because while I’m not personally opposed to credit cards or reward programs, and it is nice to get a little something back, I’m a loan officer and I notice that people get in trouble when they have the mentality of getting something form nothing, and they outsmart themselves trying to maximize the usage of a dozen separate cards. The whole thing seems flim-flamey to me. In your case, it’s cool since your company is paying for it all. Also, I would rather you use one company card that they are liable for rather than your own personal cards that you are liable for. People have been stuck when for whatever reason their company doesn’t or can’t pay them back.

To be clear, I'm talking about hotel/airline loyalty program rewards, not credit card rewards. Not accumulating them if you're going to be staying there more then 2-3 nights/year is just stupid.

Think Frequent Flyer Miles, not Amex Bucks.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 12, 2011

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gravity Pike posted:

In many cities, NYC included, cab fare is standardized by law. http://home.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

This is however only true of metered Yellow cabs in NYC. (i.e. the ones that're legally allowed to pick you up when you hail them on the street)

Independent cab companies, which handle a lot of the airport service work can charge whatever they want.

They're usually not worth it unless you are a) leaving the 5 boros, or b) need to be picked up from someplace where hailing a cab is unlikely to be successful (outer boros).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Because most people who get shot are poor and/or black, not photogenic congresswomen with astronaut husbands.

Also, quite frankly, most people that get shot in the head like that don't recover.

Admittedly, this is usually because they don't have access to the kind of care Giffords has had, nonetheless, it's pretty remarkable how well she's doing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

gp2k posted:

The news doesn't cover regular people--only famous people, major politicians, rich people, etc. What part of that do you not understand?

This is a tautology. Gabrielle Giffords was not covered by national news before she was shot. She was not, by most conventional definitions of the term, 'famous', and did not have a substantial reputation as a major player on the Hill - she was just another one of the 435, important to residents of her district, and maybe extreme inside baseball watchers, but otherwise, pretty unremarkable, and certainly not the sort of person covered by national news.

She is famous *because* her story is heavily covered by national news. She is not national news *because* she is famous. As to why she's covered? It's because it's a compelling story that people are interested in hearing. The shooting itself was major national news - this goes without saying. The fact that the intended target of the shooting is making a fairly miraculous recovery, well above and beyond anyones expectations (hell, she was being reported DEAD by many early news reports that day), is news.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Eyeball posted:

Also, regular people shooting and stabbing each other over stupid poo poo happens all the time and is therefore not particularly newsworthy. It's fairly unusual for people to try to murder politicians who they don't know personally over abstract ideological differences, so we pay attention to that.

People shoot each other all the time.

People do not shoot 20 people at once all the time. This fact, combined with the magnitude of her recovery is a significant contributing factor in her newsworthiness.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Golbez posted:

I would have thought Leo Ryan, the only congresscritter killed in the line of duty. However, that was 34 years ago, not 28.

Turns out it was Larry McDonald, who was killed when the Soviets shot down KAL 007.

The last wounding was in 1973. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress_members_killed_or_wounded_in_office

Or, if you're :tinfoil: minded, Paul Wellstone.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

maverick99 posted:

I got a letter from my credit card company saying that I have to start paying an annual fee in a few months. I'm thinking about just cancelling it and buying a credit card that has some rewards with it. Any suggestions? What about the amazon.com Visa?

What's a Credit Card with a good rewards system?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

If you can somehow get hired by a US company while still in Australia, you could come legally that way. Or you could go to university (grad school too) here, get an internship, get hired by your internship company, get work visa through them. Woop woop.

Yeah, your best bet is to pursue some sort of higher education in the US. Been thinking about going back to school for that Masters degree? Do it stateside, do an internship while in school, impress the everliving hell out of them, and get them to file for a Visa for you.

Other than that, you're hosed.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ok, what is with Goons and A Song of Ice and Fire? How come every thread about it (and the HBO series) devolves into complete poo poo?

In the beginning, there was The Bad Thread...

(Where, after 10 years without a Tyrion chapter, Goons have grown restless and hateful.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

What is a good sock to wear if I'm going to be on my feet all day? I'd basically pay any amount if it meant I wasn't in agony.

You don't want better socks, you want insoles for your shoes.

http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/massaginggel.jsp

Just one example.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Samurai Sanders posted:

What actually happens if you hit someone over the head with a (full) wine bottle, like in the movies?

A concussion.

Possibly bleeding if you hit them hard enough?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

hooah posted:

Damnit, I was afraid of that. loving MPAA.

Actually, the iTunes format probably doesn't unless it's being downloaded through iTunes.

I don't know of ANY third party DRM scheme that's compatible with iTunes.

FE: Okay, so Audible. One third party DRM scheme.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I have a bunch of anime stuff that I've been hanging on to since I was in my early teens. I'm moving again so it's time to try to get rid of it... again. What are some good websites/forums/whatever to post it on?

I have a couple of framed cels, an art book that has seen better days, a framed autographed sketch, and some misc collectibles, stickers and nonsense. Most are related to the anime/manga Fushigi Yuugi. At this point I would give them away for cost of shipping; it just seems a shame to put them in the garbage, since they cost me my parents hundreds of dollars. I've tried SA mart and got rid of some. Any ideas?

If you're in a major metro, I've had good luck with local subreddits over on Reddit.

(i.e. http://www.reddit.com/r/nyc for New York)

"Free if you show up and actually take it" works pretty well usually.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

isoprenaline posted:

http://www.pennypostcards.com/pepperoni/pc64.jpg.html

Could somebody translate this please? Looks like an eastern European language.

It reads "DRUDGE REPORT" for me.

I suspect your link is just broken though.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Barometer posted:

Well, I don't really know for sure but video was still pretty new and MTV showing up made it so music and visuals were being meshed as never before. I don't remember there being any huge Camera fetish going on, but MTV definitly changed the way music was/is presented.

"Video killed the Radio Star" was the first video played on MTV, sorta prophetic. Nobody has made a "Internet Killed the TV" song yet, have they? Someone needs to get on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx5tSmOY_iM

It's not particularly good, but it's a minor hit at the moment I guess?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pweller posted:

Are you telling me Americans without health insurance are going to start getting fined in 2014? :psyduck: I didn't think US healthcare could get any more messed up.

Yep. It was basically the only way to get Insurance companies to sign on with the new rules that they can't turn away or otherwise price out customers with significant pre-existing conditions.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

computer parts posted:

what's the origin of :catdrugs: ?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3228418

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Besesoth posted:

I think there's a market for calculators in much the same way that there's a market for pen and paper. Sometimes a calculator will do something that your particular graphing calculator app doesn't do well, sometimes you're in a situation where using an app on your device isn't practical, sometimes you just want to know what the square root of 172 is and "where the hell did I put that calculator app, it's not in Accessories like I thought it would be, gently caress I'm going to have to actually go hunting" is less desirable than "hey I have a calculator in my desk drawer".

And sometimes you just like the feel of the instrument.

I have a much-loved HP48G that I'd never give up in favor of an app for anything more complicated than basic arithmetic (oh, hey, there's another reason: sometimes you're used to reverse Polish notation and these drat kids who make calculator apps have never heard of reverse Polish). Then again, I got this particular calculator 16 years ago, so I haven't exactly been in the market for a new one.

(And sometimes you want a device that will remain consistent over 16 years of use rather than having to contend with Moore's Law every time you want to factor a polynomial.)

There will always be a market for calculators, as long as educational institutions are paranoid about students cheating.

There is a reason that there are 'approved calculator' lists at many institutions and for many standardized exams, and it is not that those calculators are minimally sufficiently functional - it's that they are sufficiently *limited* in their functions such that you can not use them to cheat, as you could your smartphone.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

God I miss the Upright Citizens Brigade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Install Gentoo posted:

Many places do this. Most of the freeways around NYC have names, and Philly as well.

A few pages late, but first off, nobody in NYC would actually call them freeways, and secondly, at least in NYC, a large part of that is that the roads 1) predate the interstate highway system, and 2) in many cases don't actually have any alternate numerical designation (either state or interstate). For example, all of the Robert Moses parkways around downstate NY are named: The Belt/Southern State, the Grand Central/Northern State, the Cross Island, just to give a few examples from Brooklyn/Queens. The Parkway network has a number of other quirks as well though.