Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What's the cheapest and best way to get a background check on someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have the following picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/dingly/Screenshot2010-12-01at95859AM.png

and I want to cut out all the background and just have the cooler and the cord as the picture. How can I do this in Photoshop Elements?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

gwar3k1 posted:

Magic Wand

Select your background with the wand, hit the delete key on your keyboard. You may need to make a transparent layer beneath the image.

I found the magic wand tool and cut out the background but how should I make a transparent layer?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Here.

For reference, just create a new image with a transparent background (instead of White), and copy your image to it.

Thank you, but it still seems to have a white background.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

It had a background for me too:

Click here for the full 799x710 image.

I dunno why you'd need another layer.

Thank you!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
A while ago I stumbled upon this picture titled "Democrats VS Republicans" and it was split into a blue side and a red side. On each side, it listed the various characteristics of democrats and republicans. Does anyone have this image?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

That's it! Thank you so much.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I remember there was something you could type in your address bar when you're on your Facebook login page where it will reveal your password. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I sold something as-is and broken on eBay. I made it very clear that what I was selling was not guaranteed to work. The buyer is not threatening me to ruin my 100% feedback by leaving a negative feedback and filing a claim. I am not worried about him filing a claim since I know I will win. But what I am concerned about is him leaving the negative feedback. Can the buyer leave me negative feedback even before he files a claim / loses the claim?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

marshmallard posted:

Yes, but you can get it removed if eBay agree that it's defamatory (which pretty much only requires you filling a defamation form and faxing it to them).

I had a right bitch leave me a negative because even though the TV I sold her was in great working order and she was happy with it, her husband argued with my boyfriend when he picked it up because her husband parked in the wrong place. This according to her was enough reason to ruin my 100% rating by saying I was a terrible seller and no one should deal with me!

I got it removed but annoyingly once the bad feedback is gone, the negative score remains - so no one can see the comment but they can see that you got 1 negative in the last 12 months or however long, and you no longer have 100% positive.

Wow is that so? I have 400 feedback at 100% that I've kept at for the past 7 years.....

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a 8' x 3' window in my bedroom loft. It has blinds, but in the morning the sun just goes right through them. What do you think the most cheapest and efficient way to cover up the window would be? I'm thinking of buying sheets of construction papers but I need a second opinion.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm looking to lease a car that has a very short lease term. Preferably, 12 - 24 month terms. The shortest I have found is 27 months from BMW.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I will be traveling from Japan to China for in June. My Japanese passport expires a month after I get back to Japan from China. Are they going give me a hard time for using a passport that expires on in July?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what sense does it make to have a hard expiry on a passport if countries will get more and more qualitatively uneasy as the expiration comes up? Wouldn't it make more sense if it were honored right up until the end? I can't see how having extra time left on the passport would prevent any of the possible immigration / illegal-stay issues that might arise.

This is what I was thinking. Also, since I have a Japanese passport I am eligible to stay in China for 15 days without having to apply for a Visa. Would they really turn me around just because my passport expires in a month?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
My friend sent me some money he owed me via Paypal. The money is sitting in my Paypal account right now and I need access to is as soon as possible. Bank deposit takes a few days, so I'm thinking the best option is to use my Paypal debit card and make a withdrawal at an ATM.

1) What would be the most I could withdrawal at an ATM with my Paypal Mastercard?
2) I've been thinking that it would be better to get cash back somewhere. Where can I get a large amount of cash back from a debit card?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is there a Vancouver / Canada thread anywhere on SA? I can't seem to find it.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have no idea how light spectrum or color works on a light bulb but recently my desk lamp light stopped working and I have the following options:

2700K color
3000K color
3500K color
4100K color
5000K color
6500K color

Honestly, I don't even know what those numbers mean... which one should I buy?

Here is the light bulb: http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-PL13-...CDQCPXN4CM09S8Z

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is anyone familiar with what a background check when starting a new job actually entails? I know they check your criminal record and what not. But what else do they check? Are they able to get information on what business licenses you've received if you started your own business?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is there a software or a website that I can overlay two images from Google maps over each other? For example, if I want to compare the size of San Francisco and Seattle by putting both the Google Maps image over each other.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm currently sick and my family doctor recommended that he prescribes me amoxicillin. However, I looked through my medicine cabinet and I found an unopen bottle of Amoxicillin, still sealed, in the back of the cabinet. It was prescribed in July 2010, and on the Walgreens label says to use before July 2011. It was in a cool and dark place, probably did not even move from the spot I found it in today, so I'm assuming it's still safe to use?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Florida Betty posted:

It won't hurt you, but it will be less effective. Why wouldn't you just get a new prescription? Antibiotics are dirt cheap. Some pharmacies even fill them for free.

Because my doctor charges a ridiculous co-pay due to my lovely insurance and will not, under any circumstances, fill me a prescription over the phone.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've recently started simmering vegetable oil with ground up marijuana to mix in brownie mix to make brownies with. It's worked out really well. However, I would like to find a healthier alternative to mix the oil with instead of brownies, does anyone have any suggestions? I end up getting way too high from the brownies, getting the munchies, and then eating more brownies and getting more high, sometimes uncomfortably high.... yes... it's a vicious cycle.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 19, 2012

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I will be going out of town to San Francisco next month for little under a week and I was thinking about just booking a hotel through kayak.com / hotel.com websites but I remember hearing something a while back about people renting out their apartments / condos for a few days on a website. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I was eating a sandwich a few days ago and all the oil from it dripped onto my khaki shorts. I didn't clean it for a few days and when I did, my pants smelled like absolute poo poo. I was able to get all the oil stains out but even after using stain remover and washing it two times, it still smells. What can I use to get rid of this smell? I was thinking of soaking the specific area in Isopropyl alcohol or something like that but I wouldn't know if it would ruin the shorts?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Make a thick paste with baking soda and apply to both sides. Wait at least an hour the wash. It will not harm if you leave it on longer.

That worked! Thank you so much!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Weirdly, it is $300 cheaper to buy a roundtrip ticket to China that departs from Vancouver with a layover in Seattle then it is to buy directly from SEA to China. Same airline and everything. My question is, if I purchase the roundtrip ticket that leaves from Vancouver - Seattle - Shanghai but miss my Vancouver flight and catch the Seattle flight, is that possible?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've been walking around in 100+ degree weather and got some salt sweat stains on my shorts. Best way to remove it without taking it to the dry cleaners? I really like these shorts so I don't want to just throw em in the washer and dryer. Preferably just hand wash the stained area.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

What material are the shorts? Cotton?

60% cotton / 40% polyester

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Will be visiting my friend down in Hawaii in a few weeks and wanted to bring him a bottle of liquor. I was going to purchase a big bottle from my local Costco but realized that I will not be able to bring it on my carry on and the checked bag fee is $25 for the first bag. I've never purchased anything from duty free before but even for domestic flights, is it a good deal for alcohol or should I just purchase some when I am down in Hawaii?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Health Insurance billing question:

My insurance (Premera) pays for one physical a year so I made an appointment with my doctor's office and went to get that done.

This physical covers all preventative tests and includes "Sexually transmitted infection (STI) screening and counseling for those at higher risk".

Before they drew my blood, my doctor came in and asked me if there was any concerns or questions I had with him before he left. I told him that there was a small bump on my penis that I would like for him to check out. I was not worried that it was an STD / STI and told him specifically that it was most likely an ingrown hair from when I shaved. He looked at it, said luckily it does not look like an STD, and prescribed me an antibiotic cream and sent me on my way.

A month later, I received a bill for the blood test for around $200. Contacted my insurance company and they informed me that it was not covered since it was billed as a diagnostic test rather than a preventative one even though I specifically asked my doctor if the blood work was part of the yearly physical.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about this? Should I contact my doctor's office to have them rebill the blood work as a preventative?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 23, 2014

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 23, 2014

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

thrakkorzog posted:

I've dealt with Volt on both sides of hiring, being both the guy hiring temps from Volt, and being a temp who got a job through Volt. In my experience, they just ask if people have proof of citizenship, but they never actually ask for you to whip out a Driver's license and Social Security Card. The actual employer is on the hook to keep records of proof of citizenship, but Volt never asked for any of that.

Personally, I would check out Volt.com, get the number of the local office, and give them a call to see if a job is legit.

It sounds like you got scammed. Volt has a rep to keep, and the last thing they need is scammers trading on their name.

A handy rule of thumb is that you give personal info to the people you call, but not to the people calling you.

To give you more detail on what happened:

1) Found job on Volt.com and job description stated to apply online AND send resume to recruiter xxxxx@volt.com
2) Received email a few days later from xxxxx@volt.com email with detailed information including wage & benefits of job.
3) Email had PDF attachments to sign + asked to give SS # and birthdate within email.
4) After sending email, received call and voicemail from the recruiter informing me that they have received my information and will go forward with the process. I did not give the recruiter my cell phone number within the email so only way she received that information is through my Volt account when I applied for the job through their website.

Does it still seem like a scam? Regardless, what are the next steps I should take for damage control?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone had to deal with an acquaintance that you haven't talk to in years of yours asking to take you out for coffee or to meet up so that they can discuss some business/job opportunity? It's always a mysterious topic and if you ask them about it they change the subject or steer away from the question. I have had to deal with this a few years ago and my friend just called me saying some guy came into his work at the car shop and presented him with a potential job opportunity and wanted to take him out for coffee and it reminded me of something that happened a few years ago. There's always some group meeting and the word "partners" used a lot and it just seems so cult-ish. Has anyone had to deal with something like this? I was always curious to know what they were trying to sell or present....

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 6, 2014

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I am currently in a small dispute on eBay with a buyer of one of my items and I was hoping someone could tell me what the best course of option is.

I put up a listing for an e-cig a few weeks ago. This e-cig retails for $80 and when purchased brand new, comes with a disposable cartridge + disposable mouthpiece. This is an example of the disposable cartridge that you can purchase for the e-cig: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Omicron-Extract-Cartridge-1-4-ohm-for-3-7v-/291071735258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c53a35da

As you can see, it comes packaged with a disposable mouthpiece that is meant to be thrown out at the same time the cartridge is. I consider it one item.

On my eBay listing, I clearly stated that my ecig does not come with a disposable cartridge since I threw it away. I also made it very clear on what the auction comes with. I wrote:

Included in the e-cig kit is everything it came with except for the cartridge:
1 x e-cig
1 x AC/USB Battery Charger
1 x USB Battery Charger Cable
1 x Cartridge Fill Tool
1 x Online User Manual
1 x Rugged Carry Case

The buyer of the item is upset that I did not include the mouthpiece in his order. He is calling me a liar and that I am trying to make "fast money" by not including the mouthpiece. My argument is that I consider the cartridge & mouthpiece one item since they are always packaged together. What should I do? The buyer has requested that I send him a new mouthpiece.... but as I mentioned previously, I would have to buy him a new cartridge since that is the only way to get a mouthpiece.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 16, 2014

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I am checking the resistance on two terminals on a dropping resistor for a car. The service manual says "Is the resistance between 9 and 15 Ω?". I have a multimeter and don't understand what number for the Ω section to put it on. How do I read the resistance? I've put it on 200 under Ω and it shows 60.5 on the meter. High ohms is bad = less current, correct?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
A family contract I hired a few weeks ago started working on remodeling the bathroom and when we took the wall apart he pointed out some water damage within the wall. I called my State Farm insurance agent and after he came in told me it would not be covered since it was not an accident and has been an ongoing problem. Literally 15 minutes after he left, the city inspector stopped by and gave us a fine / stop work ticket for doing remodel work without a permit. I was pretty surprised since I didn't consider minor wall repair work to require a permit but I guess it is what it is. Pretty sure my insurance agent went and informed the city?

Anyway, the city wants a blueprint for the work that we are going to do and someone told me they would do it for $3000 (!!!!!) for a blueprint... that's going to cost more than the remodel it self!! Should I really expect to pay that much for a simple blueprint?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm planning on going to a location a few hours away from my house which is considered some of the best light pollution free area in the country.

What would be the best ideal time to see the stars? Full moon? No moon at all? Obviously a clear sky so I would go when the weather is supposed to be nice and clear. But besides that, anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
When I was cleaning my room I found a check that was written to me last year and I'm not 100% positive if I cashed it. I've used mobile deposit in the past so I'm not sure if this check can still be cashed or not. Is there an easy way that I can check?