Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Is there any truth to the perception that microwaved foods and liquids seem to cool down faster than normally heated items?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

WillieWestwood posted:

I don't see many women carrying a parasol or umbrella on a bright sunny day, but it's not eccentric to me.

It may be an cultural thing; I live in a very Latino neighborhood (about 98%), and it is very common to see women with umbrellas on hot, sunshiny days. I also see it quite frequently in Jewish neighborhoods. But hardly ever in predominantly white neighborhoods.

It seems very practical to me, but I'd never do it. But my Mexican girlfriend certainly has toted an umbrella with her when we have to do any significant walking on hot days, simply because that's 'what you do for a hot day, like putting on a raincoat for wet.'

Makes sense.

But even then, I rarely see men with them, anywhere.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
So I was watching a show on the Science channel narrated by Morgan Freeman. It blew my loving mind, but Mr. Freeman made it somehow feel like a gentle hug.

What is the specific name for the theory that the world loses resolution when it is not being directly observed, and is there a place or thread that discusses this in layman's baby talk terms?

Because this is seriously loving with me, guys. :psyduck:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. For instance; how then do remote cameras work? And what happens to animals? Are they observers or part of the observed?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Gravity Pike posted:

Are you talking about the Observer Effect, or something more specific in quantum mechanics? As for what "counts" as an observer, as far as I can tell, that's been vastly simplified (and, in the process, anthropomorphized) from whatever the hell is going on physically. I think the actual interpretation is closer to that a particle is in superposition relative to another particle until the first particle has a measurable (and measured?) effect on the second. I am not a quantum physicist, though, and you'll probably get much better answers over in the Science, Academics, and Philosophy form.

Thanks! But no, I'm familiar with that, Schrodingers cat and all - The segment of the show I'm thinking of posited that the real world could be like a computer. The Sims was used as an example, wherein when something is not being used it is not fully rendered. They think that the real world could be like that, where the matter at a very subatomic level doesn't fully fuse or 'render' until we look at it.

I'll pop over to SAP and see if there's anything there! Thanks for the tip!

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Mr. Crow posted:

So my friend is probably going to prison/jail for violating his probation, I want to do something for him but I don't know when to plan it... when you're sentenced to one of the above do you go straight from the courthouse or do you get a day or two to "say goodbye"?

I always assumed you went straight from the courthouse or something I guess but after seeing 25th Hour a few months ago (AMAZING movie if you haven't seen it, highly recommend it) I'm not so sure.

Once he appears in court, they will officially revoke his probation, meaning he is now officially in state custody. He will not be released.

If he is on probation he has already plead guilty/been convicted of his crime. So there's no bail, etc.

Depending on what he's been convicted of and if he has any priors, will depend on whether he goes through intake and is released on ankle monitor, or sent to do some county time, etc. If he was on probation (as opposed to parole), and he didn't violate his probation with another convition, its likely he'll only do county time (if the sentence is less than 1 year and 1 day).

All that said, have the party before he goes in to report to the revocation hearing. You won't see him again 'til hes been processed and assigned a facility.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Mr. Crow posted:

Thanks. He got a DUI and then failed a drug test (toked a little during his birthday and got nailed two weeks later or some such), any idea how that would turn out (Time/location etc.)? He's saying he's probably gonna be in jail and get out around December.

It really depends on the length/time of his probation, where you live, etc. For instance, here in California, if you get your probation revoked for almost any reason other than an additional crime/DUI, etc, You'll do about a week in jail due to overcrowding.

Other states, 90 days means 90 days. But oh boy does county time suck. Really really sucks. Prison is so much better.

Write letters, make girls write him letters. Visit when you can, put some money on his books if you can afford it so he can get coffee, have stuff to barter with, etc.

But it'll be over before he knows it. Make sure he knows everything he ever learned in movies is absolutely loving false. Just stand up for himself if provoked, fight back if attacked, don't snitch, but he needs to lay low and do his time.

Make sure you make him a cake before he goes in, and sing "Happy Buttrape To you" :)

When he gets out, get the man a steak and a blowjob, stat.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Mr. Crow posted:

Wait, what? :psyduck:

I always thought prison was were the bad poo poo happened and jail was :airquote: OK :airquote: if not crowded... I worked with a guy who was in prison for a few years and I didn't bring it up to often for obvious reasons but the couple times we did talk about it, it seemed pretty bad... Never heard or asked about rape or anything, again, for obvious reasons, but it seemed like it was pretty horrible.

And he was a pretty big dude. Pretty racist too, which I always attributed to his time in prison.

Nah, County Jail is the worst time for a variety of reasons, foremost being that once you get to prison, you get "yard time", as opposed to an hour a day, a job, you can shower when/as desired, the population doesn't change as much, and there are far fewer people who come in who have seen too many prison movies and arrive with a lovely attitude. You can have your "own" tv as opposed to a community one, have access to a leisure library and have books and magazines sent in, etc.

By the time you get to prison, most have accepted that they're stuck until they're released and just want to do their time and go home.

Sure its bad in prison. There IS rape, murder, stabbing, bullying, etc. But it mostly happens among gangbangers and to the conspicuously weak, idiots who get themselves in debt, and child molesters so it is easy to avoid. Its no loving holiday. But it is also the best place to do time, if you gotta do it.

Further reading without putting up with all the hand wringing, fighting, and whining in the LF thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1745759

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

DoctaFun posted:

So I'm selling a set of golf irons on craigslist, and got a pretty quick email from someone:

Scam Letter

Yup. A very common scam.

And of course: "If you have to ask, it's a scam."

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

DoctaFun posted:

Thanks for confirming my thoughts guys, I appreciate it. Maybe I can have some fun with this scammer, give him the address to somewhere funny or something...

Local police station would be fantastic.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Binowru posted:

Are there any legal hoops to jump through if a band wants to put a cover song on their CD? Like, does Led Zeppelin get a cut of the profits for every band that's recorded a version of "Whole Lotta Love"?

Yes, Lots of legal hoops depending on who the artist is that you're planning on covering; Provided you're doing a small run (under 2,500), You've gotta cut a licensing deal with their publisher or the person controlling the mechanical rights (in most major label cases that'd be Harry Fox), and pay them a set fee plus a percent of profit made from the song, generally hovering around 50%. Interestingly, you don't pay based on how many units are sold, but on how many you press. The minimum royalty amounts are set by Congress, and are about 9.1 cents a copy.

So long as the band covering the song is recording and selling it, they're liable for a lot of stuff and there's a bunch of legal wrangling where certain artists and labels are concerned. If you're dealing with an indie artist or label (Non ASCAP/BMI/SESAC), these can often be handshake deals.

Interestingly, if you're doing over 2,500 units andif the laws are still the same as they were about 5 years ago, artists and publishers are *required* to give you a quote on rights. It may be astronomically high, but they must provide one.

Edit: accuracy

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 3, 2010

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Just make sure you use a lot of frames and flashing marquee text! ;)

Marquee is deprecated :(

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Can anyone recommend a site that does independent reviews of prepaid Visa/Mastercards?

I need a card that the person I am contracted to can deposit my pay to, and I can use it as one would a regular debit card. I want one so I can keep the pay from going into my regular bank account so I can keep a handy check on what/when I am being paid for tax purposes, and also instant access.

All the 'review' sites seem to be heavily biased and shady. Also, these things appear to be loaded with fees.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Something like this:

https://prepaid.bankofamerica.com/CashPay/Pages/Home.aspx

Or something a bit more "anonymous".

Looks good, "anonymous" would be bad, I'd imagine, for tying it into my 1099, etc.

But it appears (still reading) that my employer must sign up their company with BofA?

As opposed to these, http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/aboutourcards/prepaid/issuers.html, which I simply sign up for and give my boss a routing/ACH number?

I feel woefully underinformed, so I guess that's why I'm hoping for some kind of trusted comparison/review site or resource (or even goon opinion?)

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Thank you Chubby Emo Babe. The BofA one looks least fee-intensive, so far.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm looking to buy a used car, and I've been scanning Craigslist for a few weeks just to get an idea of what's out there; I know next to nothing about cars.

Can anyone recommend a few models to keep my eye on? Specifically, I'm looking for cars that will continue to reliably perform after 130,000 miles, as that seems to be what is typically available.

How much are you looking to spend? What part of the country are you in? What do you plan do do with it? (Haul stuff? In town driving? Long commute? Party with friends? Go camping? Install a waterbed and soundproofing?)

With your vangue question I shall answer:

YES: Toyota. Honda. Scion. Volvo. Late 1990s - early 2000s.

NO: Ford, Chevy, GM, Saturn, SAAB, Chrysler, Dodge.

No. loving. Miata.

Ever.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
What everyone up there said.

Go Toyota - You should be able to score a late 90's Camry or Corolla in fair nick in that price range.

Bring a knowledgeable friend. Check for rust. Take it to a shop, change fluids, rotate tires. Enjoy.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

Where can I go to find loose action figures, old and new?

I'm sort of a toy collector, but I don't give a gently caress about something being mint in the box etc... I just like the toys to sit on my desk and I'll put them into poses and what not at my discretion. I actually want to PLAY with these things, and yet Ebay is filled with action figures that have never been loved, which makes them 10 times more valuable.

You may not be looking at the thread anymore, but if you are, I found a basket full of old star wars toys in my garage.

They're "new" in that they're still in boxes, but not really collectible as they're covered in dust, spiders, and the packaging is sun faded. So I figure them to be pretty valueless.

I'd estimate by looking at the packaging that they're +/- 5 years old? If you're interested I'll brave the spiders and tell you what they are?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Is there a meaning behind white suspenders in Teen fashion?

My daughter put profound importance on acquiring white suspenders, and I got a little curious. Is it a hip hop/latin culture thing? Or are we raising our own lil' neo nazi without even knowing it? Or, does she just want a unique way of holding up her britches and I'm just a megaparanoid dad who doesn't "get it :rolleyes:"?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Thanks. Even having to ask this question made me feel every single day of my thirty-seven years.

But I'm glad to know that it's just some silly hipster thing.

Now, I can focus on encouraging her burgeoning interest in meteorology, seeing as how she's suddenly fascinated by websites that track the leading edges of advancing weather systems...

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
This has been going around facebook: Blah blah blah many great dates that have all ones in them, blah blah, also if you add the last two digits of your year of birth plus the age you will turn this year, it will add up to 111.

Whats the breakdown of math behind that as it relates to calendars? How often does it happen?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Holy crap, how could I not see that.

Thanks for that. Guh, I feel stupid. I'm going outside now to have a good long chat with me about being thirty seven and so loving ignorant in basic math.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

darkbob87 posted:

I moved to California and I need to register my car here...

1) Do I get a smog check before or after registration?

2) Do I need a California license to register my car in this state? Or is it okay as long as my out of state license is still valid?

I'm not trying to LMGTFY you, but there are quite a few variables depending on your situation, but try here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr.htm

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

stubblyhead posted:

It sounds like you are considering yourself a resident of California now, so you should probably get yourself a new license anyway.

Oh yeah, and I can tell you from experience, they that that poo poo seriously. I got pulled over for crossing a double solid yellow. Got a ticket for not having in-state license, fines + costs + whatever, totalled over $450. (But on the plus side, the cop didn't cite me for crossing the double solid.)

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
1) is there a "Doin' poo poo on Ebay" megathread?

2) If not: I have an item on ebay for Buy it Now/Best Offer. Early on in the auction someone made a bid that I counter offered, but they chose not to accept my counter offer. Is there a way to let that person know I will accept their original offer, if they're still interested?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
This may be too specific for the general AT/Small questions, but I'll give it a shot.

I just purchased a Dynex LCD TV (Dynex being Best Buy's low end house-make). I plugged an old set of computer speakers into the speaker out jack using a RCA to 1/8" adapter cable.

I assume, like my old TV, it would mute the volume to the built in speakers and control the output to the external speakers instead, however this does not seem to be the case.

When I adjust the volume, it makes both the internal AND external speakers get louder.

I've checked all the settings and don't see anything that says "Mute internal Speakers" or anything.

Any advice?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

kapalama posted:

Does it have a Headphone Jack?

Also Video Quick Questions thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389301

Yep it does. I'll give that a whirl. And thanks for the link.

Edit: Hm. That seems to have worked, for what I need! Thanks, kapalama!

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 14, 2011

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Drew Barrymore surely has all the money she could want, a great career and is still viable. What's the advantage to a supercelebrity to do eyeliner commercials? Surely they don't like the product that much where they go pound down Maybelline's door asking to be in a commercial. Someone like Barrymore, or Horseface or Seinfeld doesn't need the exposure, And surely they're not being paid enough to make a difference against, say, a guest appearance on a series.

So what's in it for them?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Disclaimer: NOT a math guy.

However, my bosses and I were trying to figure out what the name is for the process of 1+2+3+4+5....

We both remember seeing it in math books. It's got a name like Fibonacci but, obviously not.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

I feel like this is it. Will run it by the boss and see if they agree.

Thanks!

And double thanks for the correct threads for next time we stump ourselves over beer.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Is Pinay/Pinoy considered a derogatory/racist term?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Do you mean that it smells really acidic? Because it always has smelled that way to me.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

User-Friendly posted:

Milkman's a lot like Girl Talk, but better. He offers all his poo poo for free on his website too.

https://www.worshipludachrist.com kicks sand in Girl Talk's face at the beach. And then punches him in the face. With a train. For free.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Who or what factors determine when a national commercial is replaced by a local spot?

Surely when MegaCorp Inc pays tens of thousands of dollars national spot on a local network to tell the nation about their new DysonSphereDoucheWidget, they don't want Cal Worthington and his dog Spot airing over it in a major market like LA.

Is there some kind of reduced rate for "will sometimes be aired but maybe sometimes blocked by a local advertiser"? Or is it random?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Mister Kingdom posted:

Couple of Audacity (ver 1.2.6) questions:

1. How do I make something sound like it's far away?

2. How do I make speech sound like it's coming over an old landline telephone?

1. Slightly reduce volume, relative to distance and EQ out some of the low frequency and add a slight reverb, depending on perceived distance.

2. http://www.vstplanet.com/Other_audio_tools/Other_3.htm

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 29, 2012

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

OneEightHundred posted:

This begs the question of why planes have seatbelts then.

Wishful thinking?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Who was the first person to try to live entirely off the internet? I seem to recall someone in maybe the Bay Area trying to exist solely through products and services offered through the 'net for a year [and I believe he gave up?] in the mid-to-late 90's but can't seem to squeeze it out of Google...

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Is there a font identification thread? A friend of mine wants to recreate this poster:

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Pogo the Clown posted:

This is 3 different fonts. "$10,000 REWARD" is one, the text in the middle is another, and the name and phone number at the end is a third. I spent some time poking around the font identification websites, but didn't have any luck, possibly because the movie is a bit older (1985). If you're really keen on getting the closest possible font, try asking the guys on a font ID website (like here). For a source that is slightly better than your image this video is pretty good starting around the 38 second mark.

Or just pick something that looks nice. Googling "Pee Wee Herman stolen bike" on image search brings up a few recreations that didn't use the exact font, but still look really good.

Thanks for the links. The top font definitely appears to be hand-modified.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I have a screening of several short films at my work tomorrow, and I need to grab several videos from Vimeo and burn them to a DVD.

The usual suspects (Keepvid, random sketchy programs from download.com) are not working, I suspect because the vids are password protected.

Keepvid just shows "vimeo.com 0:00" where the download links would normally be.

What else should I try? Willing to pay a small amount for software that works, as well.

Note in all seriousness, this is not :filez: - The event organizer has permission from each film's director to do this, but I do not have direct contact with the directors to ask them to enable the 'download' button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

photomikey posted:

If you don't have the password, you can't download the video.

Short film directors are not difficult to get ahold of, if you e-mail one right now and ask what them to send a download link, they will.

I do have the password. I can watch the movie til my eyes bleed. But I can't download it (no link and keepvid doesn't work with vids that are private, even if password has been entered.)