Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
My girlfriend bought a mobile phone from play.co.uk a few days ago, received it today, but when she opened it it's much smaller than she expected and she wants to return it and swap it for another model. However, looking at play.co.uk's return policy they say:

quote:

You may return any unopened item within 7 days of receiving it, for a full refund. We will refund your card once we have received and processed the item.

* We will only refund delivery costs if the return is a result of our error.
* We cannot refund or exchange an opened item unless it is faulty, or if the item was sent to you through our error.

Isn't this illegal? I thought the Distance Selling Act gave you 7 days to return goods, even if they'd been opened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
I've recently started a podcast with a friend, have had it submitted and accepted to iTunes, and two episodes have been released. However, i'm having real problems with understanding certain aspects of creating a podcast (i.e. even getting our episodes to show up on the main podcast page).

Is there a somethingawful subforum where I can go into alot more detail about my problems and possibly get some help?

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
I'm in the UK and I'd love to do a correspondence course on US Politics. I don't really care about the qualification itself, I just want a structured learning plan. The OU doesn't seem to do one. Anyone have any good experience with alternative correspondence course providers over here?

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
What is that word that describes why we as humans like the steady rhythm of drums so much? It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't can't think of it.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
Before Christmas I wrote a Facebook status update (only visible to 4 people that I work with) asking if they had been paid yet because I hadn't. We didn't mention salaries or how much was owed or who we work for, although some of us list our employers on Facebook (I don't).

Back at work this morning, we got a companywide email that contained:

quote:

We would therefore ask, effective immediately, that you do not mention or use the company’s name or logo on any private Facebook status’, Twitter mentions or any other social platforms, this includes any direct or indirect references to the organisation as some of you may have added [COMPANY NAME] as your employer on your profiles. Unless expressly used to for corporate branding, such as the company’s LinkedIn and Facebook accounts used for recruitment purposes, any references would be considered a breach of the company’s confidentiality policy.

In light of this incident we will be reviewing the confidentiality clause of the handbook so it incorporates social media etiquette and will communicate the updated version to you all by email.

Can my empoyer stop us from talking about them on social media? 'Indirect references' covers pretty much anything. Saying 'I had a poo poo day at work today' indirectly references who I work for, for example.

I'm not going to fight the decision as I'm not desperate to talk about who I work for on Facebook, but can they actually enforce this legally? I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
I have seen (and I follow) several Twitter accounts that have a specific kind of humour attached to their tweets.

https://twitter.com/dubstep4dads
https://twitter.com/PajamaBen_
https://twitter.com/raresecretegg
https://twitter.com/Fred_Delicious

Although I find them all funny, I have no idea what the brand of humour they adopt is called. Does it have its own descriptor, or does it fall under the banner of something like satire?

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
I've been given corporate and purchasing credit cards at my job. When filling in the application form, our Finance department took my name, D.O.B, address etc. and both cards have come through with my name and the company name on.

Will using these cards affect my personal credit rating at all?

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

nesbit37 posted:

My US passport was stolen a week ago in the United States and I am just wondering if there is anything else I should really do to prevent against identity theft or if there is anything else I should be worried about someone doing with my passport. I filed a police report, called the state department and had it cancelled, and I contacted one of the three credit bureaus to do a 90 fraud alert thing. Anything else I can/should do that would be worth it? I know there is identity theft insurance but I am guessing that stuff is mostly a scam. Since I did have a passport stolen, though, I don't know if it would be worth actually considering.

When I had mine stolen I called my bank and let them know, just in case. They said hardly anyone lets them know and they added a note to my file. I'm not sure how your banks work (I'm in the UK) but if it stops someone going to your branch and emptying your account it might be worth a 5 minute phonecall.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

Torka posted:

How come when AA or AAA batteries run out of juice you can often get a little bit more time out of them by just taking them out of the device and putting them back in?

That doesn't seem like it should work

While a current is flowing through a battery, hydrogen bubbles form on the surface of the anode. This is called Polarization. It’s important to note that batteries don’t just run out of energy suddenly, instead they gradually lose their charge until they become useless.

When you remove the batteries from whatever device they’re in, the Polarization stops and the hydrogen bubbles on the anode dissipate. This allows for better conductive contact with the circuit when you re-insert them.

This doesn't last long because most devices are not designed to work below a certain voltage, so when the device detects an excessively low voltage it will turn itself off.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
I'm looking for the name of an old cartoon. It aired in the UK but I don't recall if it was British;

It was fantasy and I don't think any of the characters were 'human'. There were two planets, a nice one with waterfalls and plant life, and one that hung underneath that was where the 'bad guys' lived. The bad guys were always trying to get into the nice world above.

There was a wizard and he had a staff. The good guys would either travel around using lily pads or bubbles.

EDIT: I think the bad guys were trying to steal crystals?

Convicted Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 5, 2014

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

franco posted:

Sounds very much like The Dreamstone, maybe?

That's it! I love you.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

Cumslut1895 posted:

Yo, I'm mildly drunk, and I just realized I've taken 4 Paracetamol + 4 Ibuprofen(standard doses per tab, don't have boxes with me) today. How dead am I, given that I took the last dose at 11:40AM and it waS around 10PM that I started drinking?

You could have taken double that amount and still be fine.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

WarpedNaba posted:

A couple of times when I was in university, a few of what I believed to be large pimples on the side of my abdomen burst and ejected what I can only describe as pearls. Basically think fish tank pebbles with a bunch of sebum or some kind of calcification in the grooves. It freaked me out but getting a doctor/dermatologist would have essentially bankrupted me.

It was an isolated occurrence and some time ago, but what the hell was that? Is it indicative of some kind of more chronic issue?

Did you take any pictures?

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

WarpedNaba posted:

I should have. I did tell a friend of mine who'd recently graduated from medschool who told another friend who told him that it might be a foreign body granuloma, if anyone's ever seen one of them.

Tried googling that for a pic like one of my ejectees, but no luck. I don't recommend you try it, either, kinda nasty poo poo.

It might be sebum (oil secreated by the sebacious gland). Sebum can clog the pore and create a blackhead when it oxidizes, but in some cases it stays in the pore and continues to grow and block the pore. Usually, a cyst will form, break it down, fill with puss and dissolve the sebum, but in other cases, it just forms a rock hard waxy lump... like a pebble.

Kinda reminds me of the stones you get from blocked salivary glands (don't watch this it's NSFL https://i.imgur.com/WZPnRb7.gifv NSFL) You can hear ths stone 'plink' against her teeth when it bursts out.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

Tiggum posted:

I found a letter in my mailbox today addressed to my landlord. It's unstamped and was obviously delivered in person, and has no return address. On the front is written "private and confidential". I have no contact information for my landlord, and I've been told by the real estate agent and the body corporate for this building that they don't know how to contact him either because all the information they had seems to be out of date and he hasn't updated them. What should I do with it?

I'm thinking probably just throw it out, since I obviously can't return it to sender and I don't know any way to get it to him. Also, since it was hand-delivered, I don't think it even technically counts as mail? Is there anything I'm supposed/required to do with it? This is in Australia, in case that's relevant.

Neither you, the estate agents or the building supervisors have any contact info for your landlord? That's a bit worrying isn't it?

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

Szurumbur posted:

A stupid question and a very simplified one, but I'm curious: whenever there's some talk about psychology and psychotherapy on SA, mention of Freud is very often quick to follow with the usual caveat of him being a quack, not knowing what he was talking about and generally disparaging. However, I was under an impression that Freud's work, although flawed, laid grounds under the methodology for a proper psychoanalysis and while it's obvious that him linking most/all problems to sexuality was misguided, his work was very important and groundbreaking. Granted, I've only read his Introduction to psychoanalysis and the only critical book on him have read is an old edition of The neurotic personality of our time by Horney, which does not speak of him at length.

So I suppose the question would be just how (if at all) are Freud's theories and practice important to modern psychology?

He got a few things wrong (Oedipal complex, penis envy, id/ego/superego, 4 stages of development) and a few things right (the unconscious mind, compartmentalised brain function), but unfortunately it's the "wrong" assumptions he made that have stuck with us into modern times.

The fact that he dominated his field in the early 1900s has granted him a legacy that few others have attained.

This is a great paper that goes into further detail on which of Freud's theories are still relevant today, despite what popular consensus seems to be.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
The death of Waffleimages has led to great old photoshop threads becoming barren wastelands (like this one).

Is there any way to view old threads with images intact?

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
Why does this ebay user have loads of Positive feedback but negative reviews? How does that work?