Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Why is it a convention to use the term "mark" when talking about versions or model upgrades of a product type?

ie Canon 5d Mark II etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Speaking of web hosting, is anyone here experienced with domains from Godaddy? I was thinking of flipping some URL's and was wondering had experience, I know Go tends to be the most popular because they have dirt cheap deals on domain names (no hosting or extras though). The current top one I see on Retailmenot is 85% Off .COM Domains - Now Only $1.99 (Excludes Renewals)

which ends on the 6th, how often does Godaddy do deals like this? Anyone know anyone who's flipped domain names on any sites and has anecdotes?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

There's was an incident back in the 60s or 70s I wanna say, school shooting type deal in the US. Girl in her late teens or early twenties decides to shoot at some kids with a rifle and when she was done called it "fun" (that was the most distinctive thing I took away from it besides it being a girl shooter). I'll be damned if I can remember any other details and haven't been able to find any articles since

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yup thanks

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anyone got a link for a site that archives all your old SA avatars? I remember it being offsite

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gorbash posted:

http://www.muddledmuse.com/saars/ is the old one, whicl looks to be offline.

http://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/ I think will be the one you're after.

coolioso thanks

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

When I click on docs in Google Drive it always opens a new tab, is there a way to make it open within same page? I'm already a tab fiend as it is

Mortley posted:

I need to black out my birthdate from a PDF, but it's locked out from editing. I don't have access to a printer/scanner. Ideas?
edit duuuuh screen shot

Im actually curious if there's a better way because on a mac you cant always grab a whole screen. Plus locked PDF's are loving bullshit

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I've never had that situation occur. Cmd+Shift+3 captures the entire screen and saves it as a JPEG. Cmd+Shift+4 let's you drag out a section first.

Whoops meant more than screen

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is there a way to quote someone's quote?

quote:

If you were to quote me for example this entire sentence would be gone

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

What's the name of the "cowbell" sound that songs from the 80s used a ton

like in the beginning of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm_QilrHkh8

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ror posted:

If you are using windows then USB Xbox 360 controllers are pretty much plug-and-play.

I use 360 but I don't have the USB for it so I had to buy a dongle. A lot of people swear by the new Ds4 for ps4 but that's technically using a 3rd party hack to make it work. A lot of people say it works okay for most games but not all

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Also, any sellers ever get emails from non-bidders requesting you end the auction early or lower your selling price? I had a guy email me telling me my opening price was way too high and that I would never sell the item and I should lower the price and sell to him. I told him no. I ended up selling the item at the price I wanted anyway.

I can't remember if I have gottne one like that but you'll definitely get side offers for lower. As sketchy as it sounds I've counteroffered if they do it off ebay so no ebay fees (PP still applies)

never had a problem but this is always for smaller, more niche things. You probably dont want to do it for a high ticket think like iphones, massive fraud risk

I had a Nigerian message me on Craiglist of all places.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Why do people here keep saying "heh"

is it a thing

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm seeing a lot of people with huge avatars lately, how do they get around the restrictions?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

tuyop posted:

There's a French movie where a teacher says "la pince!" As a threat before pinching the ears of school boys, who I think are the protagonists. I thought it was Devil's Backbone but that was Spain so it doesn't make any sense.

Does anyone know the movie I'm talking about?

There's a CD thread devoted to IDing movies

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is there a way to look up specific members on SA if you know their username?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

There's a german word similar to "schnell" and it's the same idea, sounds like "losz" or "zlosz" or I don't know. But means hurry or speed up

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

DNova posted:

I'm not sure if this is a question or a statement but the word you are looking for is "Los!"

?

thank you

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So I'm trying to convince my dad to use 2 factor authentication for his email since he got phished once (fortunately nothing big happened except his account was used to mass spam his contact list) but then he asked what do you do if you're outside the country without phone/service?

He's got me there

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I have randomly had Windows Media Player open at random intervals (once a day, twice a day)

any idea what that's about?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

there's a bunch of free watermark apps on iphone, can anyone recommend one over another?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Does anyone know the name of the science device that generates electricity, looks kinda like a tesla coil but isnt? Usually brought in for science demonstrations in college classes, like the prof asks a volunteer to put their hands on it but the electricity doesn't kill them

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

noob question, how do you look up a user on the forums by name? I've honestly been googling but if you get a generic name that's a problem

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

thanks, is this implemented in the UI page somewhere?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I always see these captchas that are checkboxes saying "I am not a robot"

wouldnt that be the easiest thing to beat?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I have a bunch of pics on my iphone I want to send to someone. What's the best way to do that? They are on android so I can only do direct like 2 at a time

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

My Facebook both mobile and desktop stopped giving me notifications when someone likes or reacts to my comments on other people's posts. I still get them for posts on my own wall and comment notifications if they reply to it. I checked settings and apparently you can't even turn off like notifications (there's some really broad thing about anything involving you but it's not switchable anyway) let alone get specifically into turning off certain likes. I don't think it's anything I did in the settings that I know of. Anyone got any ideas? It seems to work for event pages fwiw

It's just weird to see some notification that someone replied to my comment and then surprise there's reactions on it. I don't care if you think this is the dumbest problem ever had gently caress a duck

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

anyone have to have a garbage disposal fixed lately? Kitchen sink pipe is leaking and wondering if a malfunctioning disposal is contributing

how much that run you

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is there a way to disable the left-swipe-camera on facebook mobile app? Using an iphone and it's a bitch when im thumb browsing and that drat unwanted camera gets brought up

inb4 "delete facebook"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Has anyone messed with pepper spray? How noxious is the stuff for someone not getting hit? Like if someone has it on them and you approach would that that stuff get all up in your respiratory

Is even a little bit of downwind backblast going to give you a bad day too

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Lmao that explains why when a cop pepper sprayed my shirt nothing happened. Must have freaked him out when I started licking it. Sadly this story ends in Tazers :( lots and lots of sub dermal burns.

This probably deserves its own thread but I have so many questions s

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

How do I stop white people from confiding there racist thoughts with me. It's always in this conspiratorial way and I'm not really sure what I'm doing in my day to day life and if there's like a thing white people do that tell other white people it's ok to be racist around them.

have you tried punching fashes?

you clearly don't like cops anyway but being white you probably will get off easy so take one for Team Woke

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

speaking of laundering credit cards, if you buy gift cards does every store pretty much deactivate if it's reported stolen or are there any that wash their hands and say "liquidity is liquidity?"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

well more if the credit card used to purchase it is reported stolen

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm trying to remember the name of a woman who was notorious in the UK for being a killer and treated with kid gloves (how she did it I can't remember). I believe she was a medical or law student and can't remember if she got convicted but the judge was like "oh poor widdle baby" and didnt sentence or for whatever reason she got off. I believe the victim was her bf. A boat may have been involved though it might just be she was in a picture with one? I know reddit was citing her as an example of double standards in criminal law and pretty sure she was blonde. Think this happened 4+ years ago?

yeah who is this?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Qubee posted:

I sprayed Raid (insect killer) into my kitchen, a good 10 second burst. I'd removed all food items and covered my dishes and cutlery on the draining board by the sink with a tea towel. I stupidly forgot to cover the salt.

Is the salt safe to eat or will I die a horrible death seeing as there's probably a light film of dried insect killer on the top of it. I don't even know if this stuff becomes inert after a few hours exposed to air, or if it stays deadly.

Reminds me of a Broader question I have myself

If I you've seen cockroaches around your apartment over the course of once or twice this year (been quite lately otherwise) is this an indication of a nest hiding somewhere or do these thing just sorta happen.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Amazon question: if you want or buy a thing that qualifies for free same day prime shipping but it's only 20 buxx
While $35 is the minimum for it, can you add anything to it that's just regular prime and still qualify (and have both ship separately) or do you have to add something that is same day shipping

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

How did the word "babe" go from

"You remind me of the babe. The babe with the power"

To

"Whoa hot babes with big boobs awoooooga!!!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Found this thread on reddit, with this post
https://www.reddit.com/r/povertyfinance/comments/9nhbhu/quick_warning_to_any_single_women_looking_to_cut/

quote:

In my country, if the woman is engaging in sexual relations and isn't paying rent, she is entitled to spousal benefits including half his wealth, if this type of relationship continues for 6 months or more. If the woman pays her share of rent and does not engage in any sexual activities with the co-tenant she's clearly a tenant. I like this law. Gives women power.

genuinely curious if anyone knows what country that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Has anyone bought name brands off Wish app? This is so sketch but apparently I need my rear end kicked because I want to believe