Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

onesickvdub posted:

How do I export the PDF to I,ages and recompile it to a PDF? Which software is ideal for this?

Can you just reprint it as PDF or XPS (then XPS back to PDF)? Do this through whatever PDF software you have.

Purple Rain Man posted:

Hmm. I just checked my online banking again, and noticed something else. My account lists both a "balance" (this is what's shown as a result of the list of charges), and an "available balance". My available balance is my balance minus the cost of the three Amazon orders, to the penny. What does this mean? Is it my bank that isn't posting the charges? Because they obviously know that Amazon charged my account the exact amount.

Debit accounts let you take funds out of your account (obviously), but some accounts let you go over your agreed 0 or overdraft limit. If you spend more than is in your account in a day, you have until the end of that (banking) day to pay monies into your account to cover the cost.

You are shown an available and a current figure because of the way banks process accounts. They do this at the end of each day (so your current will become what your available was the day before) and they process all reciepts before all debits to make sure you don't get screwed.

This is UK advice though, so it may be different where you are.

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
If you use an umbrella on a sunny day, yeah a little odd but I'd assume you haven't got a parasol. If you want to do it regularly, get a parasol - they're lighter and look nicer.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Purple Rain Man posted:

I'm looking into getting a smaller-sized HDTV (somewhere around 32 inches) for my room, mainly for use with an Xbox 360, but I may look into getting a cable box in my room as well.

I was wondering, what's the difference between LCD and plasma? Which would be better to buy? And what do the HD numbers and letters mean? (for example, 720p and 1080i)

Thanks. :)

You want to be in the HDTV Megathread in A/V Arena.

Basically:
Numbers = number of horizontal lines of the native resolution: 480, 720, 1080.
The more you have the higher the resolution and therefore sharper images. Most Xbox games are produced with 720 in mind - look at your game cases to find this out.

Letter = the way of displaying those lines: i = interlaced, p = progressive
Interlaced means half the horizontal lines of the image are displayed followed by the other half and the speed at which they do this makes up one image when viewed by the human eye. I believe Interlaced has been the American standard since forever. PAL systems have always used progressive signals which refresh the frame line by line but always show a full frame.

1080p is probably going to be sold to you as the full-HD solution as it gives you the maximum resolution and the better signal output method.

A lot of TVs that are 720p can output in 1080i, so take that as you will.

LCD and Plasma are the technologies behind the screen display. Plasma allows more natural blacks (higher contrast ratio) and typically fade faster than LCDs (we're talking ~6-8 years full time use compared to ~10-12 though). Plasma doesn't refresh as quickly as LCD though, so if you watch a lot of sport, you may end up seeing ghosting of players (haven't seen a plasma in a few years, so I don't know if this is still much of an issue). Plasmas use more energy and get a lot hotter than LCDs.

Pick LCD and you'll be happy.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I'm looking for the name for a type of music.

It's kind of like a saloon/burlesque/silent movie happy piano sounding type of music.

It sounds kind of like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwVKDP8nzQ

Anyone know what I should be googling?

Parlour Music. Adding 1930's to your search term isn't going to hurt.

Where can I get a brown suit with blue pinstripes, like David Tennant's Doctor in the UK? It's for a Halloween costume and so far the only reasonably priced one is discontinued. I've seen the two replica ones for $200 and $500+ dollars, but don't want to spend that much on an import.

It doesn't have to be a replica, so long as its close enough. Any ideas?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

fishmech posted:

Tailored suit doesn't have to mean a nice suit. I went to a local tailor one year to get a gaudy purple Joker from Batman type suit for Halloween and he whipped one up for me for about $40.

I'll give it a go but I doubt I'd get anything as cheap as that!

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I didn't know which SHSC thread was appropriate so I'm hoping someone can help with an answer or a thread link. I have an SD card full of holiday photos and videos. I've managed to break the plastic casing in the corner by the two slimmer contacts (right side) and three teeth are missing but the rest of the casing is fine and the contacts look fine too.

My camera won't read the card and I've been hoping that my computer would, but it doesn't. What can I do to get my data off the card before resorting to a data company?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

jackpot posted:

See how the red powder seems to jump off the screen, as if it's 3D? There's a name for this illusion/phenomenon, and it's something to do with the fact that its background color is such a contrast (red on green) - what's it called? Whatever it is it's freaking me the gently caress out, I can't stop staring.

The main part of the image is flat, single tones - cartoon like. The woman has a drop shadow, but she doesn't have any shading on her. The red paint looks to be a photograph or at least, when they've tried to apply the same effect as they did to the woman, they couldn't get rid of the heavy shadows on the clumps of paint. It looks more genuine and, with the added drop shadow "pops" out from the background.

So a well placed drop shadow, and high contrast between subject and background.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Are you talking about inflection or punctuation? For punctuation, the question mark goes outside the quote. For inflection you should stress the "Which character" and say the quote as it was said originally.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Zero Star posted:

My brother is looking for a free program that makes graphical visualisations to go with music, similar to those found in Windows Media Player/iTunes etc. Can anyone recommend a good program for this?

EDIT: He's using a Mac, I should have mentioned that earlier.

I'd start with Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_visualization#List_of_music_visualization_software but id depends on the needs of the software by the look of it: what type of vis does he want and does he want it as a plugin, framework or dedicated application?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

When asking how to do something which phrase is correct: "How do I..." or "How can I..."

How can I is asking how to approach a problem.
How do I is asking how to perform the solution.

How can I find out how to get to London?
How do I use the internet to find train times?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Anjow posted:

Does anyone know where I can find information or footage related to the making of the UK comedy series Peep Show? I've looked on google and youtube but just find unrelated things. I'd be interested to see how the scenes were done with views from each actor's perspective.

I'd imagine that its nothing fancy: re shoot the scene with the camera at actor's head-height, have on screen cast look down the lens.

Your best bet would be to buy or rent the series on DVD, seeing if they have making of documentaries as special features.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Not A Vet Yet posted:

I just volunteered to make my company a new website. Nothing complicated, just a few nicely set out pages about the business and whatever. I assumed it'd be easy but am now unsure where to start. Whats a good program for this? I looked at Wordpress but that seemed to be all about blogs, and microsoft publisher didnt look the best. I dont really want to learn HTML and kind of assumed there'd be some easy to use software.

If you don't want to learn how to make a website why did you volunteer?

You don't know what you're letting yourself in for either - I'm doing a website for my company (where I work as a LIMS administrator, not a web dev) and the project has gotten so much larger than I imagined it would do. I've learned a loving tonne of poo poo in the past 7 months and the site still isn't ready. Then you'll be responsible for maintenance once you're done, expect stupid requests all the time, and if you're not prepared to learn how to make a site properly, you won't be having a fun time when they ask you to create new pages or change the theme.

Own up to not knowing what you're doing and tell them to get a contractor in.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

A good boy posted:

Question regarding the English language.

What does "turned us up and turned us down" mean?

Turned down is rejected, turned up could be anything without more context. For example, if this is a lyric from a band they could be saying a producer turned them up (listening volume) then rejected them. It could be a lazy way of saying "got us excited, disappointed us".

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

marshmallard posted:

Do you definitely need a ticket? I don't know about America but in England you just turn up on the day and queue.

I miss Borders :(

But I went to a signing there for Jasper Fford and I had to get tickets, perhaps because it was an after-closing reading and signing. When authors go to WHS or Waterstones, they go during the day for photos and signing, not really as an event like Borders used to.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I've just noticed on a 2nd class Royal Mail stamp, that there is an "invisible" line down the centre, and "Royal Mail" printed in wave-y lines both of which are only visible when you tilt the stamp to an angle in the light.

Does Royal Mail actually use methods to check stamps are forged? How would they deal with counterfeit stamps - charge the recipient for delivery?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

kapalama posted:

"Chicken Skin" is a Hawaii term for goosebumps. Do non-Hawaii Englihs speakers use the term Chicken SKin?

Rather than calling someone a chicken, as kids, we'd tell people they had chicken skin if they were afraid of something. That's North UK. I suppose its similar, someone who is scared will have goosebumps?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

thehandtruck posted:

What's a free program for Windows 7 that will allow me to capture audio streamed from internet radio sites other than Audacity?

Why not audacity? If you're having problems with that, you may have the same problem with other software.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

thehandtruck posted:

It's strange, there's something about it not supporting Vista/7 with streaming audio, like you can only use the beta. But capturing mp3's and what not works fine.

Can you use video recording software and extract the audio, perhaps VirtualDub? Sorry, I don't have any other audio suggestions, only what Google says.

Is it that you don't have a stereo mix in audacity? I can't test because my laptop lacks stereo mix on windows 7 :(

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Arakan posted:

Is there anyway to blow up pictures on the computer without them becoming all pixelated and blurry? I want to be this for halloween (ignore that fact that this particular picture is probably photoshopped): http://www.wtfcostumes.com/drunk_youtube_guy_costume.php

So basically I want to screenshot a youtube page, but make it gigantically sized then print it out in pieces and paste them together on cardboard, but how do I keep the screenshot a decent quality while blowing it up?

Google for high res images of the you tube logo. Text doesn't take effort to resize. If you have the patience, you can redraw the frame yourself in an image editer thats better than Paint.

If you don't mind about quality, you could always Rasterbate it.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Why did America become so litigious and is there any chance that people will ever chill the gently caress out and not sue each other for the slightest of things?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

JasonV posted:

I think it's a side effect of the whole American idea of what being an American is.

The idea of The American Dream seems to imply that no one has the right to get in the way of that goal. If you work hard you *will* be successful.

Seems like a good starting point. The UK seems to be adopting more American practices into its own, I'm waiting for us to lose our common sense and sue for every little thing that happens to us. It's already begun: "where there's a blame, there's a claim" but its not as high profile as it appears to be in the US.

Converseley, congratulations America for not being a nanny state and over concerning yourselves with political correctness. Perhaps they're contributing factors to the difference in our approach to justice.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Immortal Wombat posted:

Does anyone know where I can find this little indie film called Ninja Man? It's got British school kids in it, one of whom is 'ninja man' and he at one point tells a teacher to "shut up you wanker" also his girlfriend gets tied to a bed with an iron duct taped to her chest.

Also can anyone suggest a better thread to ask this in?

IMDB says the official site is https://www.ninjamanmovie.co.uk but that's not available at the moment. I Googled Ninja Man Movie and got the director's site http://www.jacksonfilm.co.uk/ninjaman.htm

fishmech posted:

The same way the law calculates tax. Remember that you usually don't pay sales tax on items bought from other states, you probably only got taxed on one book that originated in your state.

That sounds like a good deal. Is there a way for people in the US to search for products explicitly from other states to avoid paying tax?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
If your instructor says he can't teach you anything, you must be ready for the test. You're letting anxiety get in the way of signing up for the test - do you really think you're going to kill someone or cause an accident at your current ability?

Take the test. If you fail, take some more lessons.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

FogHelmut posted:

I found 3 larval stage carpet beetles in the last two days. Two of them in the bathroom, the other in the bedroom. There's no carpet in the bathroom, maybe they were thirsty.

What should I do? I am a clean person! I have no pets and everything gets vacuumed, mopped, dusted, at least once a week.

Are you walking them into your house? If you have a thicker/more rigid brush on your hoover, start using it to make sure you're loosening anything that's sticking to your carpet.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Physics lessons were a joke at my secondary school, so I'm not too sure about this thought that just occurred to me:

I have a full sink which I then drain. Does the weight of the liquid contribute to the speed at which it drains i.e. it drains faster initially then slows as the volume decreases? If the liquid drains in a vortex, it'll drain faster, so does that counteract the difference in flow rate resulting from a decreasing volume?

I feel dumb for not knowing this :(

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Alderdash posted:

My girlfriend just spend the last 16 hours puking her brains out because of a stomach bug she got from taking care of little kids that are sick.

She slept/puked/was generally sick in my apartment and we hung out for like 6 hours at my apartment before she started getting sick.

All signs indicate that I'm probably going to get the same thing within the next 24 hours -- but I really don't want to because I don't really want to have to skip work as I'm pretty busy right now.

When I get home from work, I'm going to wash my sheets, sanitize the entire apartment with Lysol wipes/spray, and wash/sanitize my hands constantly throughout today.

Does anyone have any additional advice that I can follow to prevent my impending doom from happening or am I pretty much screwed?

In handling the sheets you'll subject yourself to anything that has survived if you didn't already get it passed to you from your girlfriend. If your immune system can cope with it, you'll be alright, if not, sick-day.

Try drinking more orange juice for the extra vitamin C. Other than that, ride it out.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Elijya posted:

From an evolutionary perspective, what is the purpose of males being generally hairier than females, specifically in regards to facial hair? In other words, what purpose does a beard serve bilogically?

dokmo posted:

It is notoriously difficult to establish answers to "why" questions like this. But it probably has to do with sexual selection: it is a physical marker selected for by females.

To expand on dokmo's answer, hair that grows on your arms/chest/back/face etc. grows as a result of a mixture of factors, though adrenaline contributes to faster and more prominent growth. Women that look "harier" will naturally produce higher levels of adrenaline than their less-hairy counter parts.

As adrenaline is associated with fight-or-flight and therefore strength or weakness, women are naturally attracted to the stronger males, and by being hairy, men can show their "manliness" without beating up other tribes.

e: I do say this tongue in cheek, the physiology and selection is there, but I'm not saying "hairy men get all da womenz."

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
With YouTube, is there a way that I can pick a video at random from a user's channel? I want to have a video on the front page of a website, but I want it to be different when the user refreshes / visits another time.

It doesn't have to be sequential, or random so long as its not always the same video.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Thanks both of you. Your suggestions appear to require a pre-known list and while that's not a problem, I'd prefer a solution that gets the video list from the user's channel.

I delved deeper into the documentation and it looks like I can do what I want with the Data API.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Dandy Cat posted:

I fell this weekend and busted my rear end. I bruised my coccyx really badly and I'm trying to find a place to buy a donut cushion. Does anyone have any ideas where I can pick one up? I tried looking online at CVS and Walgreens and I couldn't find any in stores. I have to go back to work tomorrow so I need something comfortable to sit on or I'm going to be miserable.

If you're desperate, would one of those neck rest pillows - the ones that are a C shape - be of any use? You could get one from a travel store or again, a pharmacy?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Busy Bee posted:

I have the following picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/dingly/Screenshot2010-12-01at95859AM.png

and I want to cut out all the background and just have the cooler and the cord as the picture. How can I do this in Photoshop Elements?

Magic Wand

Select your background with the wand, hit the delete key on your keyboard. You may need to make a transparent layer beneath the image.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I suggested a new layer incase his background was white, which I assume it must have been otherwise it would have been obvious the white had been deleted. New image > paste is also a quick way, as mentioned.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Breath Ray posted:

Why is the registrar's name important btw?

Some registrars will buy up domains that have been searched for on their site but not purchased. They do this so they can charge you more for the domain as there is obviously an interest (yours). loving stupid.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

DarthJeebus posted:

I usually do insert->attach file and it does exactly what you are describing. The file in the subject line, that is.

This is hit and miss for me. Sometimes it does one, sometimes it does the other.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Elijya posted:

A guy posted this on page 1 of the Cool/Not cool thread. He said he just got it from a GIS. What exactly would this be called and where can I buy one?

TinEye gives results that call it the Labyrinth Aquarium.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Drimble Wedge posted:

Friend sent me an Xbox question and I'm stumped:

He has this issue regardless of whether the other computers in the house are being used, so it's not a matter of something else eating all the bandwidth. Any ideas?

I don't know if they still do it, but I'm sure a couple of years ago Virgin offered a "Gamers" broadband package so maybe they do traffic shaping? What times of day is the Xbox being played because they definitely throttle your connection if you download x GB in y space of time during peak hours.

nunchi posted:

I want to record my skype conversations. Is there a feature in skype that will let me do this?

There's a plug in called Pretty May, and there are others that will do this for you. The guys in the Lets Play forum do this all the time so check out their Tech Support thread.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Elijya posted:

Would an area rug do anything to help a cold room stay warmer? Even if it helps insulate the floor and keeps my feet one or two degrees warmer, that's at least something. Would it do that, or would it be totally ineffective?

It will provide a greater surface area to absorb heat so yes, but as to wether you will notice or not is another question.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Akuma posted:

Why does my mouth get all watery right before I throw up?

Related thing, about 10-15 minutes before I vomit, my hands start to get more and more numb that by the time it happens I've lost all fine motor control. Why is this?

Your stomach is given priority for blood flow when you're ill, and extremities are first to be "cut off" as such. This reaction is to ensure the stomach can remain functioning when its being "attacked" by whatever ailment you have, and to help eject the foreign body.

As for your mouth getting watery, it could be an increase in saliva production to provide enzymes to help break down the vomit, which must smell good to your nasal receptors. Unfortunately as its going out not in, its a redundant reaction.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

jackpot posted:

You might know where I'm going with this already: what used to be my internet IP - the way I got into my router's config settings - is now the address for my webcam. Not http://blahblah.120:80 just http://blahblah.120. So I don't honestly know how to get back to my router config settings.

Most routers are on 192.168.0.1, no need to define a port either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Zegnar posted:

I am going to a 21st birthday party over a 3 day weekend, plan was black tie / white tie every day but the host has now declared that one day will be an 'Tim Burton themed costume party'. None of my friends like Tim Burton, it is bizarre and arbitrary.

What the hell do I wear? I am a blond man so that rules out most of his emo characters. I still need to look smart so nothing ridiculous. Budget is not a problem, but I do already have 3 metres of electroluminescent wire I'd like to use somehow. I am taking a flight to get there with no checked luggage, so nothing that won't go through security.

50 people going so there will be a lot of Ed Woods and Jack Skeletons, I need to get a little more creative.

Edit: Is there somewhere more appropriate to post this?

Lose the jacket, get some braces and maybe a skull mask or facepaint. Bingo, you keep the smart look and still come off as fitting in. You could try charity shops for cheap instruments (violin / hand accordians / something small) and pass yourself off as a macabre band member. Scruff up your hair a bit if you need to.