Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I have a question about choosing an ISP.

I live in rural Alabama about 50 minutes outside of Birmingham so options are limited as far as I know. Right now I'm using dial up which is horrible and I'm desperate. I'm moving into a new house in a week or so. Here is what I know are options:

Dial Up, Charter Cable, Hughes Net Satellite, and mobile broadband.

I called AT&T and they say DSL isn't available. I've had Charter before and know what to expect and it's obviously the best option. I know they service my road, but they have been picky in the past with me about how far off the road my house is, This new house is about 100-150 feet from the road. A guy is coming Tuesday to look and see if they can because they weren't able to tell over the phone if my house was serviceable.

Just in case they aren't what is the best option? A friend has a USB modem and has a mobile broadband plan from AT&T and says it runs good, but all those plans seem to have 3/5/10GB a month caps and I'd require 40-60gigs at the very least.

I've heard horror stories about Hughes Net about how it works good sometimes and sometimes crawls like dial up. I read it's usually better at night when I usually get on and I could honestly deal with wildly fluctuating speeds as long as it's better than dial-up. I can also deal with the latency.

I'm thinking Hughesnet>mobile just because the data cap. From what I understand it's pretty much impossible to get an unlimited or large data cap when it comes to mobile although I had a friend claim tethering a phone with an unlimited phone data plan would work, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm having an issue with my Windows Media Player on my new laptop.

I have about a 50gig collection of music, and it was originally on my desktop which also runs windows 7 like my laptop. On the Desktop, I populated the library just by dragging the music folder into it and it took it a good several minutes to populate, but once it was done it was fine as long as I didn't mess with any file location.

I copied my music folder onto my laptop, but I'm having issues populating the library. I can go about it two ways, drag the music folder into it and let it populate, or go into the options and add the music folder to the list of folders. Doing both will work, however after I close media player, when I reopen it it has to populate again everytime and this is irritating because it takes a several minutes for the 50 gigs are so to populate.

Is there anything I can do besides getting a new media player? I like the format of WMP's library on vista/7 where you can see the album art with the information displayed beside it easily.

I'd prefer just to fix it but I'd possibly consider a new media player if it had as visually appealing a library like I just explained I prefer.

Thanks for any advice.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Not going into detail to avoid a drawn out post. I mix drinks with 95% grain everclear, usually in sweet tea. My roommate took the bottle somewhere and I put a bit into this tupperware type container. I've read nothing should really break down that fast, but my drink I just made tastes typical plus a distinct dirty dish/pasta sauce taste. I'm guessing the high proof alcohol leeched out some of those flavors that have been in that bowl.

It's still probably safe to drink though right? It's only been in the container 2 or so days and was refrigerated and the container was clean.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah it's 95%. It even has big flame warning on the bottle. With all the alcohol regulations I'm surprised it's even legal to sell.

It is mixed with sweet tea about 20/80. I'm pretty sure the bowl was sterile, it just was stained orange from pasta sauce over the years and my drink tastes heavily of a dishrag now. I still want to drink it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Alright, stupid me who sucks at life needs a job. No college, etc. I figured a good start would be applying for cable/satellite companies doing installs or something, so I applied for a Direct TV installer ad I saw on craigslist.

It was like 10:00pm my time, and I literally got a call to come in to put in the app/interview at 9 on Monday morning. It struck me as really weird they'd just call that late, that quickly. Also craigslist. Although he did apologize for the time and his excuse was "I saw you had just put the app in so I figured you weren't asleep"

The actual company I assume I'd be working for that is contracting the installs is http://www.dplus.us/contact.html (holy poo poo is that scripture on that web page?)

As far as I know they aren't asking for any shady "start up fees" mainly just wanted to know if I had my own truck/suv for doing installations which I assume is normal for that sort of work. I just need a job and don't want to miss any opportunities, yet don't want to get ripped off either. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask in here. Any opinions?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
About how long would it take for a regular letter in a regular sized envelope to come in the mail from northern Kentucky to middle Alabama? I figure right about 4 business days but I honestly have no idea.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
They make wifi boosters that plug into an outlet and retransmit the signal you could put in the middle floor. We used one when my aunt moved into a small apartment across the yard and it seemed to work okay. There may be better options though.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Sometimes my Facebook does weird poo poo with personal messages. Sometimes, when particular people send me a message, it won't show up or notify me right away. Sometimes closing the tab and reloading it will make new ones show up. Today, I sent a few with no responses, then later on when I looked at the chat windows, it was as if I never sent any of those messages at all, as in they didn't show up in the history. Anyone else get this kind of fuckery?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I have a friend who has a crazy religious family, and he's been experiencing sleep paralysis a lot lately. They pretty much have him convinced demons are after him and he needs to repent or whatever. I tried explaining to him what it was, but he usually just says "But I was awake!" Well, yeah. Of course you feel/ are half-awake, that's what makes it scary. I don't want to go euphoric atheist on him, but I don't want him to be afraid of demons either.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
In regards to the heroin/orgasm button discussion on the last page, I can tell you guys from experience that heroin and other drugs don't feel anything at all like an orgasm, and in general it's not as intense either(rushes from shooting can be intense, but last only a few seconds). Imagine a super comfy chair and great mood in drug form and you have an idea. Whether or not that changes the comparisons, I'm not sure, but there you go.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Dudebro posted:

Interesting. I have heard injections of heroin being described as "the best feeling in the world" though, especially the first few times one does it. You think being able to have these feelings at a push of a button would be greatly destructive to society though or would it be just like any other destructive drug? I realize this is going into some strange sci-fi hypotheticals so maybe it's better you don't answer.

Honestly I'm not sure. However, I will say a lot of the "destructive" properties of illegal drugs are caused by their illegality and stigma to begin with but I really don't want to start a derail about that and I'm definitely not saying they would be harmless otherwise. I guess it's a complicated situation really. As with drugs, the orgasm button's effects would depend a lot on the person too. For instance, a lot of the worst addicts are the ones who use mostly for self medication for depression, anxiety or whatever.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've got a bit of an embarrassing problem and not sure where to post this, so I'll try here for now. A while back I moved out of my mom's whom I was staying with temporarily and to begin with I got a really cheap apartment until I could save money. These are fairly slummy apartments, and of course there are roaches here. For a long while, I didn't have too many issues. I made sure no food was laying out, etc and I didn't see too many. Fast forward a few months, the apartment next to me vacated and they brought in a pest control guy the other day and I think that drove the roaches from there into my apartment because I'm seeing like 4 -6x as many roaches as usual. I did some research, and spread around some boric acid, but just simply getting rid of roaches isn't my main issue here.

I just recently got a new desktop PC, and I really don't want the gross loving things shacking up inside it. For the uninformed, they are attracted to electronics because of heat or something. I did some googling, and found out a lot of people tape things like scouring pads, dryer sheets, etc to the vents to keep out dust and this works for roaches as well. I tried dryer sheets, but apparently they are really flammable, plus the smell gave me headaches. I picked up some generic dry swiffer sheets and duct taped them over all the holes/vents. It seems to be working well, but I'm still paranoid it might make me computer overheat. They've been on there for a couple days now, no issues and the computer hasn't felt more than just comfortably warm anywhere, including the power supply. Is this a bad idea to do? A roach getting in there and shorting out my power supply or something could straight up kill it, but if it overheats from lack of air flow, it should at least shut itself down right? So I figure that's the safest option.

e: also any programs I can download that are able to monitor the temp of the CPU or other things? I know a lot of the GPU overclocking programs are able to detect the temp of the GPU, but my GPU is down near the bottom where heat probably wouldn't build up anyway

E2: maybe a screen like that goes on screen doors would work better?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 6, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Memento posted:

For your last problem, CPU-Z HW Monitor will be able to tell you the temp, voltage and fan speed of every component in your machine that has sensors for them.

Thanks, it seems to be working for my drives, cpu and gpu. What temps are acceptable? Right now it's saying CPU is at 30-35c average, with 44c being the absolute highest. Hard drive is similar.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

photomikey posted:

I don't know anyone with more tech gadgets than me, I have found myself in your shoes several times. I am always convinced that it is a bad charging port, I have always (so far) been wrong. It has always been a shoddy USB cable. Even when I've tried multiple, reversed directions, tried "known-good", etc. At least buy yourself a new USB cable (monoprice is good for cheapies) and try that one last time.

Your charging port is probably soldiered to the board, if it comes to that, you're probably screwed.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing you can do to keep them out of your PC, and borax is nearly worthless. Max Force Gel, a lot of it, in every crevice in your apartment.

Ugh, didn't see this at first. So am I hosed? I'm hoping I can at least control it good enough I don't see them all the time. And what about when I eventually leave? Am I going to have to throw a thousand dollars of electronics in the garbage? I already know the answer to my next question so I won't even ask it(no I can't sue or legally withhold rent from the slumlord for this)

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Pest Control is supposed to be included with the rent, but it takes a while to get them to actually do anything. I had a water leak from the apartment above a few months ago, literally dripping into and filling up light fixtures and I had to turn off power to that part of the apartment for a whole week before they even came to fix it.

e: No point trying to put the PC on anything they can't climb, as there are so many wires coming out of it they'd just get on that somehow. That said, I really feel I have it sealed up pretty good so I guess we will see.

E: from the Peta page: "In an earlier study, researchers used computer simulations to show that, even with their tiny brains, insects have enough neural circuits to possess consciousness, and they may even be able to count" Does this mean they can feel pain? I hope they can feel pain very acutely and suffer anytime they crawl through poison I set out or smash them.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 6, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
what is it about roaches that is so gross anyway? I'm totally cool with things like spiders running around when I find them. Ants are a nuisance but not gross. Something about roaches is just incredibly disgusting. Maybe how they infest?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, thanks for the advice earlier with the roach stuff. So far my PC seems good, I sealed it up well. I have a completely different issue now, this may be better in YLLS but I'll try here first since it's more product related - I have a job working 50-70 hour weeks. It's in a factory so I'm standing all day, walking a good portion of it on concrete floors. I've been having some knee issues working out and sometimes during other times, and this was never an issue for me at all until I got this job. So I need advice on footwear to help mitigate it. Are there any specific shoes good for this? Insoles maybe? I don't have to wear boots FWIW. Just need to focus on minimizing wear and tear on my knees and feet. I've tried regular run of the mill running shoes, and now I have shoes that are more minimalist with a flatter/harder sole and honestly I feel no difference at all.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Lawnie posted:

Are you standing in place most of the day? Ask your employer if they'll get you an anti-fatigue mat if so.

We have those, and they help, but since I'm in packing/QC I'm always moving. I'm lucky if I spend 1/4 of my night on a mat hence why I asked specifically about shoes. It was a good suggestion though. I've also recently decided to start taking a minute or two every hour to stretch my quads and hammies to see if that helps as well. I'll check those links out. As far as the boots thing, that may get on my nerves. If boots with a lot of insoles is straight up the best answer, I'd be willing to try it out, but I prefer something a little more lightweight, even if I do run my toes over with loaded tables sometimes.

e: are those crew shoes specifically decided to mitigate impact of hard floors? Seems they are more an anti-slip deal for fast food type stuff but I haven't had time to really look into yet, I just got in.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 11, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

FCKGW posted:

They are the go-to shoes for anyone working in food service so they are good for people on their feet all day.

The k-swiss mentioned earlier are good too.

I'm not trying to be snarky here, I've worked nothing but food service jobs before my current job and those kind of shoes were always sought for anti-slip due to grease, not to mention being on my feet wasn't near as bad then, because now I literally work a 110 hour "work week" as in I work 11 10's straight before I get a measly 3 days off, and it's on a much different level. Not that it's a pissing match, I just want to make sure and choose correctly for my specific situation. As far as compression stuff, I have plenty of compression pants of varying thickness I use in the gym, I was considering seeing if they helped at work once it cooled off enough to layer in the next month or two.

e: So far I'm leaning toward the K swiss tubes

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 12, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

How long have you been doing this? It's probably time more than the shoes. Being on your feet a lot will feel like death until you get used to it.

I'm in the same boat. Working 60 hour weeks on my feet at a construction job and it's just barely becoming tolerable after a month. At least you don't have to wear steel toed boots with heels :v:

Also aleve is good poo poo. Works way better for the foot/leg pain stuff than anything else.

A little over a year now, and for at least another couple at best. However, I only started back lifting again about 4 months ago. It's definitely gotten easier. Aleve helps but it just really helps pain instead of solving/preventing the issue.I t's not an issue of "this pain is unmanageable!" but rather my hobby is lifting/working out and this job feels like it runs me down and makes it hard to keep my body from feeling all broke sometimes. Since I've been stretching and also doing weighted lunges on a doctors recommendation to help strengthen my knee stability, it's much better. I used to could not squat at all, even light weight, and the past few times I've managed it without too many problems. I was asking about the shoe stuff because I need every advantage I can get to mitigate all that.

As much as I hate to admit it, a lot of it was excessive drinking. I had gotten to where I was drinking 4 16 oz beers every single night, so not getting smashed every day, but I was getting a strong buzz at least and I think that was contributing to my joints staying inflamed more than they normally would. I've cut down to about 2 16 oz the past couple weeks, and I'm about to drop down to 2 12 oz until eventually I drink no more than 1.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, I'm looking for a music streaming service and I honestly don't know much about them. I listen to all kinds of music, pop, rock, grunge, all kinds of metal, rap, etc. Some stuff popular, some stuff pretty obscure. I just don't want to pay money and wind up not being able to listen to a lot of my favorite stuff. Spotify looks good, I'm just not sure how their selection is. As far as features, really I just would like to build some playlists to listen to at work or when I'm at the gym. I'd be streaming from my phone but would prefer being able to sign in and doing the actual building of playlists from my PC.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
What's the best thread here to ask in if I had a question about working in industrial electric motor winding?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I just bought an ebook from Amazon, and I feel a little stupid. Normally I read on my laptop, I use calibre to convert files to .pdf and read that way. If I bought a kindle book on Amazon, am I screwed? Or is there a way to get access to the raw file?

e: I am able to refund it, but if I want to legally buy ebooks am I basically forced to read it on either a Kindle or Amazon's lovely little reader thing?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 16, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, I might could learn to use theapp. The only requirement here is I be able to read on my laptop. It's just how I'm used to it, I prop it up in bed with a little tilt and read while laying down with the mouse in my hand to scroll. I never really messed with all this before, I always just pirated when it comes to ebooks. From what I can tell, I have to add a device in the Amazon control panel somehow to be able to get it. It's late so I'll look into it more later.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Water leak issues

e: actually nevermind, I'll just go in person to talk to the landlord with a written request. That whole post was a badly written block of text plus some of it is my fault for not doing anything other than calling them several times. If that doesn't work then I'll look into other options afterward.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 24, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Can you guys tell me a little bit about mattresses? The one I have right now is really old and lovely and is causing me some shoulder discomfort as well as being generally uncomfortable. I've tried sleeping on my back and I really can't do it, but even then it's still a lovely mattress. I'd really like a foam mattress of some sort. I have a big issue with springs and bars(from futons in the past) and stuff like that digging into me and bothering me, so I'd prefer something without any hard components.

I really need to do something about this lovely mattress sooner than later. Unfortunately, the most I could probably spend right now would be about 400 bucks, maybe a bit more if it would help get bang for the buck. A guy at work thinks I should buy like a 60 dollar air mattress as a temporary solution for a month or two until I can afford a good mattress, but I'm not sure. Honestly I'm not too picky, I think I need something fairly soft though that my shoulder can sink into a bit more, I feel like my mattress sort of shoves me shoulder forward a little, plus it's getting to where it has a little sunk in canyon in the middle 50% of it which rolls me toward the middle.

Can 400-500 get a decent memory foam mattress? Also I get hot fairly easy when sleeping, not sure if that's just me or the crappy mattress though. What should I do? If it helps, I'm 6'1 and about 200 lbs.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 9, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Leal posted:

What is the story behind the :chloe: emote?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGhuLkjl4iI

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

socketwrencher posted:

I picked up this one for a guest bedroom and liked it so much that I ended up using it for few years:

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Memory-Green-Mattress-Queen/dp/B00Q7EPSHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497027837&sr=8-1&keywords=green+tea+zinus

I'm about your size and was diligent about rotating the bed regularly (like weekly; unfortunately one side is the top so it can't be flipped) and not sleeping in the same spot all the time. Some lumpiness eventually developed but nothing too serious or uncomfortable. I sleep hot too and it was about the same as other memory foam mattresses I've slept on- slightly warmer than regular mattresses but not a big deal. It was more comfortable than any regular mattress I've had, though I've never had any high-end ones. It might be a good introduction to memory foam without breaking the bank.

Thanks man. I went with that, the 12" version. I see people saying it's firm, but I have no base of reference other than my crappy spring mattress where I literally feel like I'm sleeping on top of just the springs. Are you a side sleeper? I feel like my current mattress is jacking my shoulder up. It's hard to say how, but I feel like it's not letting my shoulder sink in, and just jamming it out toward the front of my body.

I also bought a memory foam pillow as well with a lot of good reviews.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

socketwrencher posted:

It's an interesting kind of firmness, like you sink into it and then are firmly supported everywhere. I loved it from the start and hope you do too, but it's going to feel different and may take getting used to.

I sleep mostly on my back and occasionally on my side, and didn't have any problems. I thought it was really comfortable, and a great deal at that price.

It came today. I haven't laid down in it yet, waiting until bedtime so I can let it fully adjust to atmosphere. It's way softer than I expected though. I'm guessing the foam at the bottom is a bit more dense though. I can already tell it'll be better than the garbage I was using before though. It's weird though, I'm not sure what size my old one was. I bought full size sheets for it on a guess, and they were a little too small, so I'm like "well, must be a queen." I ordered the queen size memory foam mattress expecting it to fit my boxspring, but it hangs off about 4 inches all around if I center it up. Not too bad though but I'll need new sheets.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys quick question about notebooks/netbooks/whatever. I haven't kept up with stuff like this as I've always either used my old laptop or a desktop. Basically, all I use my old laptop for these days is to read books. I know a lot of people use kindles, phones, tablets, etc but I just prefer something with a keyboard and that sits up by itself. I like to read laying down in bed with the laptop on a chair so I can just hold the mouse in my hand and scroll. The laptop is about to die and I'm wondering what a good cheap replacement would be. I don't want a really small screen, although it doesn't have to be quite up to whatever my laptop(Acer Aspire, about 6 or 7 years old). Most of my files I read are .pdf converted from .epubs and such with calibre. I also wouldn't mind if it had basic capabilities like browsing the web/netflix and such because I'd take it with me if I traveled for a few days.

I'm mostly posting in here instead of sc/sh because I don't even know what a lot of the basic differences between all the new devices are to know what I'm looking for because I've never cared about things that aren't a straight up PC. I feel old.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, cool I didn't even realize straight up laptops are so cheap now, I was just browsing some places. I'll check those out, and 150 is affordable.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've had a water leak in my bathroom ceiling from the apartment above me for a couple of months now. It's an on and off leak, it happens when they shower or something like that. My apartments are ghetto and lovely and this isn't the first time a thing like this has happened. They've always swapped property managers/owners about 7 or 8 times in 2 years. I've called them, talked to them at the office more than 10 times. It took them about a week to come out, he said he'd fix it. Never came. The drywall started to come off in pieces so I called again and told them it was getting bad. Guy came out again, saw the hole and said "whoah, we gotta get you a plumber out here". Plumber never came. I went to the office a few days later and their excuse was "He came, but we couldn't get into your apartment since you weren't home" I asked them what about their copy of the key, and I guess it got lost. So I gave them one of my extra keys. A week or so goes by, still isn't fixed. A lot of times when I call during the day no one answers now, so I've just left a message on the emergency line a couple times since.

Here is the thing - I work 60 and 70 hour weeks, and I'm dealing with a good bit of medical bullshit right now so I really don't have the time to fight them. I guess I will if I have to, but here is what I want to do- My brother needs a roommate in a month or so and I'm tired of paying for rent by myself anyway. Seeing as there is definitely mold in there now, I'm hoping if I just get a hold of the property manager or whoever is in charge right now I can explain what's been going on if they aren't aware, mention the mold and tell them I want out of my lease in a month. Do you guys think they'd probably go for it just to not have to deal with me? And if so, how does it work? Do they just print out something official saying "you are free"? I don't want them to say "sure" and then they turn around and screw me over. I should have been documenting it this whole time, like sending them letters in writing but like I said, I've had a ton of other crap going on, and in the past they've put off fixing crap like this for a couple of weeks but they've always gotten around to it. I had assumed they'd fix it after I pestered them enough, but at this point with the mold I can't really stay. I did ask my doctor, she said the mold shouldn't really hurt me in the short term like this but long term is a problem. So far I just keep the door shut and have a sheet wedged in the crack to try and keep it out. I have been having to shower at my mom's and poo poo at work. E:And I didn't mention it, but the drywall is super hosed up by now. It's a really small bathroom, and probably the whole area over the tub is missing, you can see the rafters and there is rubble in the tub I refuse to touch so it's gotten pretty bad over the past couple of weeks.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 3, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
But you can literally see it, I can take a photo. Either way, doesn't matter, I'm just looking for the easiest most pain free out here. Also I'm mostly worried about taking any hit to my credit than the deposit. As far as poo poo that's my fault, I did have an embarrassing moment where I knocked a hole in the drywall, but I'd be willing to even let them keep the deposit so long as I'm done with the place. I'd like to buy a house in a year or two.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Cool, I don't mind fixing it. What about paint though? Do I just find some that's the closest color(it's an ugly rear end light, pale blue) or is there a way to do that? I'm guessing it should be easy to google anyway. And I haven't missed any rent payments, btw.

e: My brother told me he is renewing his lease Aug 31 and wanted me to be on it. Do you guys think there will be any issues or how should I handle that in regards to the app asking about current/previous rental history?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 3, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm in the US. My lease says to get out of it I have to give 2 months notice and pay like 600 bucks. But I'm hoping the fact I don't even have a place to shower or poo poo is enough to break it, and I'd still be giving a month or two notice anyway.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Here are some photos of it. I'm off this weekend, going to fix the drywall hole and go buy a disposable camera or something to take a photo with. I'm guessing just printing these photos wouldn't be good.

Literally the only thing I can think of I could be accused of doing wrong is just people asking "Why aren't you calling them every day and raising hell?!" I've been calling about once a week, a little more. Some were messages on the emergency line, some were to the lady. The maintenance guy has been in here and literally seen the ceiling caving in one time, so I feel like I've done my due diligence. I'm not contacting them again until I have the letter ready to turn in in a few days.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 4, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

greazeball posted:

No one should ever stop paying rent before taking the appropriate legal steps for their area. It almost doesn't matter how hosed up a situation is, it's very easy for a landlord to get a judgement if you haven't honoured the contract you signed to always pay $X on a certain date. That contract must be properly challenged BEFORE you stop paying.

Yeah, I just paid this month and I'm going to talk to my brother tomorrow. It's looking like I'll be able to move in with him by the end of the month, if so I'm going to put Aug 31st as my date that I'm leaving by on the letter I print up.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Where is a good place to buy a cheap computer desk? Last time I went to Walmart they barely had any choices at all. I'm packing my poo poo to get the hell out of this apartment tomorrow and don't want to bother taking my current desk. I was thinking trying Big Lots

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

That desk is a nightmare. For like, $150 you can get an open box Ikea countertop and some of their Bekant table legs and it's actually really good.

It's going to need to be a brick and mortar place. I'll need a desk tomorrow to put my desktop on, I don't really have anything ghetto I could use for a few days either. I'll try Big Lots since it's closest, then if not, staples. No Ikea around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
quick question - I posted about my apartment situation a couple weeks ago in which the bathroom ceiling is falling apart from water damage. I'm planning on moving in with my brother tomorrow. I put in an application to be on the lease, which renews at the end of this month. I actually don't know if I've actually been accepted yet or not, but I do know he is allowed to add occupants so I figure worse case we just do that. I don't have any felonies or anything like that. So this shouldn't be too bad an idea, considering the situation where I am now is pretty grim, right?