Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

jackpot posted:

I want to download simple/minimalist ringtones and sound effects for my phone. Like when I get a text message, my phone just makes this little *pop* sound, and I like that. Where do I go? Google is not my friend in this matter.

I've never used the website before but it has a large library of freeware sound effects, I'm sure if you browsed around you can find something you like.

http://www.soundjay.com/button-sounds-2.html

I tried a few and sound number 16 was pretty decent. 29 was nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

One of a Kind posted:

I need help finding a program that I know exists (I saw it) and a program I'm hoping exists:

1. A remote control for someone's PC: preferably, one without downloading any programs. There was a freeware website where you got, like, passcodes between your two pcs? I need to do some troubleshooting for a grandparent, and I doubt she could handle d/ling any programs.

I've never personally used it but I've seen join.me recommended before and it looks like exactly what you want. Let me know how it goes!

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

dirtbag posted:

I'm building a house and I'm gonna need a lot of help as far as color schemes and the sort for the different rooms. Is there a website out there that will help make this job a little easier? I seem to recall a flash site from years back where you pick a color and it shows you a bunch of other colors that would correspond with that color. Ring a bell with anyone?

Kuler is the website that you're thinking of.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I'm looking for the gif of different world treaties that shows the US abstaining from a majority of them. Anyone know where I could find it?

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

Jeffrey Colon posted:

To avoid the highly elevated cancer risk, find a place that offers spray tans (specifically Versa if you can find it). It's an instant, even tan that lasts about 4 or 5 days. It's sort of expensive, but you can get a reduced rate if you do unlimited monthly.

If you go that route make sure you don't shower for at least 6 hours afterwards or it'll wash off.

Do not get a spray tan. You WILL look noticeably tan and if you're normally pale this is not a good instant transition. Yes there is a there slightly elevated risk of skin cancer from tanning beds but if you just want to put a bit of color on it's not a big deal, the real risk is from the people who use tanning beds to stay bronze all year round. I did the exact thing you wanted to do last winter and I think I went 2 or so times a week for under ten minutes a session and I was satisfied with the results.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

Travakian posted:

:( Welp, looks like I'm building a goon cave.

Thanks for the tips, folks. Appreciate anything I can do to make this sauna of a room less sweltering.

If you don't care about looking like a drug dealer aluminum foil foil is apparently good at covering windows and keeping out heat.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

Dudebro posted:

What are good videos to play (muted) on a computer hooked up to a TV while party background music is going on? Besides visualizers, if you consider those good.

Depends on your group of friends but I always put on either extreme sports movies (biking, snowboarding, etc) or something like planet earth.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

Is this a font that has the depth to it, or was it done in photoshop? If the latter does anyone know what font was used and how the effect was done?

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

Mescal posted:

Helvetica 85 drop shadow 45 degrees 50 pixel distance. Approximately.

My first thought was one of the medium-bold futuras but the crossbar on the F is throwing me off.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

It's not a drop shadow though, drop shadows don't connect back up the letters from that distance. You have to do something like (quick and dirty):

Obviously the kerning is off and your image has a deeper z-axis to it, but that's the basic idea.

Thank you both for your help, and RaoulDuke12, I really appreciate you taking the time to write up instructions like that.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
What are those graphs called which have circles and each circles size is relative the to number it represents? Ie one circle represents 100 and is big and another circle would be 25 and a quarter of the size? It's a tough thing to google for. Thanks.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I have a Samsung Series 9 laptop with an Intel N-6235 wireless card. It has the worst wireless performance of any laptop I've ever owned (dropped packets, slow loading, etc).

Does anybody have any last advice for fixing this before I send it to the returns centre?

I've used the Intel driver and the microsoft driver so far. Bought a new dual band router, changed the router channel, played with the power options. Running windows 8.

Thanks

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

Install Windows posted:

A job can blood test you for just about anything they want as a condition of employment.

Haha not in Canada they can't. In order to legally drug test the job must have de facto safety requirements such as working in a mine. Not a single Walmart worker in our country has to piss for a job. It's called a reasonable expectation of privacy and Americans should look into trying it out.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I buddy and are want to go travelling from Canada for 3 weeks leaving in around a month. We're not super budget focused but it's always nice to have it a bit more inexpensive.

We're thinking somewhere in Central/South America or the Caribbean. We're not super concerned about where we go as I imagine we'll explore and enjoy whatever the area has to offer.

I'm keen on Costa Rica for the eco-tourism. Does anybody have any advice to help us narrow down our choices? It's overwhelming because we can't decide on a geographic area to focus on.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I am struggling with Excel.

I'm reading this article about allocating resources (http://apprize.info/microsoft/excel_4/33.html) but can't seem to grasp it.

Anyone know the best way to answer the exercise question?

I know for solver to work I need my decision variables, which will be the amount of space given to seasonal and nonseasonal merchandise

I need constraints which are Space=2000, Min Space Seasonal >=400, and Min Space NonSeasonal >=400

Objective which is Max Profit.

I am just completely unsure of how to go about setting this up to solve.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
Is it possible to create your own online 'TV channel' as a fun project? My friend and I were talking about how nice it would if you could throw on a channel with a rotation of shows and content for those days you just want something to watch and don't care what.

My friend already runs a server which he hosts plex off of so that's halfway there, but we want to go a step further and have something always playing. Pretty much we want to create the same style of channel that they talk about in Ready Player One (don't laugh its just a good example)

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
This counter is made of MDF and as you can see the top is worn.

What would be a cost effective way to to restore the finish? I was thinking vinyl or cupboard liner, but I want something that will be durable. Any suggestions?

Pympede fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 24, 2017

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
Would anyone be able to help me out with illustrator?

I used a template to make my wedding invitations and it's great, I just want the background to be transparent. Tried googling but the results seemed too complicated for what seems like an easy task.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

If your background is an SVG element, you ought to be able to just modify the fill properties of that object to empty - I think it looks like a white box with a red line through it in the palette?

If your background is an imported image, you'll need to modify that image so that it's transparent and replace it, or use livetrace/similar to convert into an SVG element.

e: if you've got indesign too, you can do a mailmerge and prefill all the names from a CSV file, it saves a lot of time

You are amazing, that worked! It was literally so easy. Legit thanks!

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I'm trying to set up an old macbook as a media center but I'm not a Mac guy so I'm struggling.

Really only needs to have plex, Netflix, and YouTube.

Tried setting up Kodi but it feels like massive overkill so my new idea is an app or browser extension that would just have three icons for the aforementioned web apps. I'm trying to make it look sleek so I'd prefer not to have a full desktop environment every time I turn it on.

Any suggestions?

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
Is there a security camera thread? I need to install a system in a business, looking for 6-10 cameras.

Costco has an 8 camera, 4k system with a 2tb server that's all powered over Ethernet that I'm looking at and wanted to make sure there's not a superior option.

https://www.costco.ca/Lorex-8-channel-4K-UHD-NVR-Surveillance-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-4K-Active-Deterrence-Cameras.product.100490428.html

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I have a set of powered speakers (no sub) hooked up to my TV as well as a chromecast with stereo mini Jacks running through a splitter. But if the TV is turned on it cuts the chromecast volume hugely.

Do I need a powered headphone amp? Any suggestions? Most of the ones I've looked at seem to take on input and amplify it for multiple outputs while I want multiple inputs to one output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

owlhawk911 posted:

what you need is called a "mixer", this is a super basic/cheap one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0824Q3WY8

That's exactly the information I needed! Thanks man, got on ordered that should work a treat.