Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Some more suggestions for the OP, based on threads that are long running and of frequent interest, or questions that we get a lot in here.

Life stuff:
Sex Questions Megathread
Engagement and Wedding Megathread - You paid what for what?
Ask about kinky sex, BDSM, and other fetishes
Birth Control Megathread = Preventin' Babies since '09
Gettin' Knocked Up
Pregnancy Megathread: Prenatal thru 3-month-old babies
Parenting megathread: they didn't tell me it would be like this

Professional:
Lawyer & Law School Megathread #12: Started Out Barrister, Ended Up Barista (CE, yours links to an archived thread)
Ask us About Becoming/Being a Teacher MEGATHREAD
Teaching English in Japan: JET and private companies
Nurse & Nursing School Megathread: Do go, lots of jobs, die loved

Book Learnin': (Be sure to also check S&P for various field- or language-specific threads)
I want to learn a foreign language - the MEGATHREAD
Ask linguists about languages and linguistics.
Ask Me About Student Loans!
Tell Future College Kids About Your School
The 2010 Grad School Megathread

Skills:
GWS General Q&A Thread: for simple questions, recipe requests, newbies II
Fix it Fast: quick questions that don't deserve their own thread
Don't burn your house down: the wiring thread.
Veggie and Herb Gardening - You are what you eat (DIY forum)
GWS Gardening Thread 2010 - "I kill everything I touch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Changing the oil is super easy. I'm not a car person (I don't even own one), but I've done it. However, once you factor in the cost of the filter & oil, you end up spending about $20... the same price you'd be charged at a shop.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kapalama posted:

This is so very true. Add to that the fact that you have to pay to properly dispose of used motor (or commit a felony by illegally dumping it) and there is no reason to ever change your oil yourself.

I'm not sure if this is widespread, but in Massachusetts at least, I believe any place that sells motor oil has to take it back for disposal. So you just funnel the old stuff into old bottles and bring it back to Autozone or where ever you bought it.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Sometimes on sunny days I see people (okay, women) (okay, usually Asian women and usually older) walking around with umbrellas to protect them from the sun. I have very fair skin that burns easily (never tans, just burns & goes back to pale) and this seems like a great idea. Sunscreen is okay, but it itches & makes me sticky, and also sometimes I'm not expecting to be out very long and welp 15 minutes later I'm burned so it'd be easier to carry a small umbrella in my bag just in case.

My question is: just how eccentric/stupid does it look to you? I know this shouldn't matter, but I'd like to get some other impressions regardless.

I suspect the answer is "stop being such a loving goon"

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 2, 2010

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

A Violence Gang posted:

Not going to argue that but it's anything other than dumb conformity but if you're an American dude carrying an umbrella in the sun, you're absolutely going to get made fun of by like every single person who sees you. Many people might not even get that it's for the sun and would just assume you're a lunatic.

Exceptions: if you're willing to tell everyone it's a legit medical necessity, or if you travel in a something like a fashionista/hipster crowd and can pass it off as trendsetting.

Does it help that I'm a chick?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

alan negative posted:

I have a new social security card coming into my new address. But at the social security office, i forgot to specify the apartment number. I'm freaking out, what do I do?

Is your name on your mailbox?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Purple Rain Man posted:

I ordered a book from a seller on Amazon Marketplace, and when the package came, it appeared to have been torn in shipping, exposing the book (particularly the jacket) to quite a bit of wear and tear. It was ordered from an individual THROUGH Amazon, not from Amazon directly, and the package was not insured (to my knowledge). Is there anything I can do about this?

You can email the seller and say you wish to return the book since it was damaged in shipping, and you'd like a refund. It's easy to do on their end, and all you have to do is ship it back.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kapalama posted:

This should be true, but since there is no time search for one once there, the hope is that someone from NYC who knows the area will say 'this here is nearby' and open. Notary are always avaialable during weekday business hours at business hotels, but generally not avaialable on Sunday or nights etc. This is probably the case for most other locations. I also have no idea what's close to what.

A google search gets mobile notaries, but for whatever reason, this person wants to go to a location to get it done rather than have them come to her.

I just looked for the convention center & searched for UPS & Fedex stores nearby.

Here's the closest FedEx store that's open on Sundays. Call and find out if they have a notary.
500 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10018
(646) 366-9166

Here's the closest UPS store that's open on Sundays:
328 8TH AVE
NEW YORK, NY 10001
Tel.: 212-337-3104
This one's only open from 12-pm-5pm, but it definitely has a notary. Again, you might want to call ahead and make sure the person will be there at the right time.

Amazingly, I used google for all of this.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Does anyone know of a place, online or in NYC area, where I can sell Japanese-language manga? Obviously I'm trying SAmart and I'll try eBay next, but failing that, I'd like to have some options lined up. Any big anime forum that has a sales section would be great, too... I just don't know where the happening anime places are on the internet anymore :P

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Xanin posted:

Is anyone else getting popup ads on the forums? It's quite annoying. I emailed support a few days ago but it's still happening, I'm not sure how long it'd take to fix.

You might want to run a scan for adware on your computer, or try a different browser and see if it happens there.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kapalama posted:

Isn't this a job for Microsoft's own MSE? (Is it still free?)

Seconded. I have been happily using MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) for several months. It's quick, non-invasive, free, and doesn't seem to slow down my computer appreciably.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
My apartment has carpet, not too deep but not berber either. I have an area rug that is in the living room. It moves around and bunches up a lot, though. Is there anything I can put under it to keep it in place? I know, "don't put carpet on carpet, idiot," but it really ties the room together.

My roommate won't let me nail it in :mad:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Brigadier Sockface posted:

There're these cooking videos on youtube.

First one is of a really nasty fat girl making the most disgusting thing - I think it's pasta salad and she uses a whole tub of mayonnaise and tons of sugar.

The other is a series of videos by some guy who lives in a terrible disgusting filthy house and he is cooking omelettes or something with nasty utensils.

Does anyone remember any of these videos and could you give me the links? Much appreciated!

The first one is Simply Sarah, or Simply Sara. She did take down the video but there're plenty of copies.

Why do you hate yourself?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Gravity Pike posted:

I'm making a lazy-assed crockpot curry that's basically a step + Golden Curry blocks. Toss potatoes, carrots, celery, peanuts, curry-blocks, and meat in, and leave it for a day. Is chicken and beef in there together going to work, at all, or is it just going to be kinda gross?

It'll be a hell of a lot better if you brown the meat first, I'd think. I don't know how well chicken & beef would go together but it sounds like overkill to me. Repeat this question in the GWS small questions thread and you'll get better answers. You'll also get yelled at about "curry blocks," whatever those are.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Land's End, which sells through Sears as well as online/catalogue, might be a good idea. LL Bean is good too.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

change my name posted:

Yeah that seems like exactly what I want, thanks!

Get Chopin instead. His hair looks dashingly windswept!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Anjow posted:

There's what I think is a sort of food that I have heard mentioned on several American TV shows. The problem is I've only heard it in an American accent so I don't know how it would be spelled so that I could look it up. Please could someone tell me the correct spelling of the thing that is phonetically spelled "blahb jahmens"?

Could it be this Indian dessert, Gulab jamun?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Sooo I have braces and a palate expander and I forgot to tell my great aunt. Why does this matter? Because my great aunt sends me a totally sweet tin of Popcorn Factory popcorn every Halloween-ish :cry: It arrived today.

So what I'm asking is, what's the deal with braces & popcorn? I know I'm not supposed to eat it, but is it a crunching thing or something more insidious? Because I can totally chew carefully or just suck on it I guess.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

fishmech posted:

In retrospect we'll probably just refer to 2000-2009 as "turn of the century" again.

I have even heard people doing this, on NPR for example. It confuses the gently caress out of me because I am an idiot. "WHAT BUT BUSH WAS NOT PRESIDENT IN 1900" :downs: They have switched to "the turn of the previous/last century." for the old one.

As a decade, I mostly hear "the two-thousands" for 2000-2009ish.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Anjow posted:

Ignorant question about genetics follows.

If there are two men who are identical twins and they both bone the same woman and she gives birth, can some manner of DNA test determine which one is the father?

Raoul is right and here is a fun real life example.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

thomawesome posted:

Could someone please translate? It's in Japanese, we know that much. It looks like only one word is different between the two.

The one with the little old dude says "Ojiichan na(ga)ikishitee!" and the old lady one sayd "Obaachan nagaikishitee!" The "ga" on the first one is in parentheses because I think they left out most of the character, but left the little ditto mark/diacritical mark for it. My Japanese is more or less limited to reading the basic alphabet... "Obaachan" means grandma, and "Ojiichan" means grandpa. I have been attempting to make sense of the rest with google and I'm not getting terribly far beyond that. "Nagai" might mean "for a long time" and I feel like "ikishitee" means go or live or something basic like that, but that's more of a feeling than anything else. Hopefully someone else will do a better job :shobon:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Tostito posted:

I got a fortune cookie message that says "All generalities are false". But wouldn't that statement be a generality itself? I'm not sure how to interpret this fortune.

That fortune cookie is loving with you. I hope you taught it a lesson.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
In ancient Rome at least, all major marketplaces would have a set of weights against which merchants/customers could calibrate their own wares/purchases. They were pretty good at standardizing stuff so I imagine the soldiers that built the roads had some method of making sure they made them the proper width, too.

Fun fact: a cubit is so called because cubitum is the Latin word for elbow, and a cubit is the length of a man's forearm from his elbow. When you're not dealing with super precise tiny mechanical things or computers, close enough is good enough.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kapalama posted:

What's the brand name of the once a year period birth control?

Google tells me Lybrel is the first FDA approved no period pill. There are a lot of other options if you want to limit or plan for when your periods will be, though, so it might be a good idea to browse through the Birth Control Megathread a bit.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm trying a sentence, "I ___ (verb-ed) the cat", in English, but I want the sentence to convey the subject and object but be cut off before the verb. Kinda like how in German you can say "Ich habe die Katze ____" (or something like that) or "私はその猫を" in Japanese. Is there a way to do this?

You can kind of do it if you use the passive voice: "The cat has been _____." English relies so much on word order though that it would be nonsensical to say "I the cat (verbed)."

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

change my name posted:

There's one banner ad I keep getting for coupons in nyc, and the picture on it is a stack of multicolored burgers(?). What are they?

I've seen that too, and I'm pretty sure they're cookies.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
If I bring my own travel mug and my own tea (usually loose in a teaball), is it a dick move to ask a coffee shop for hot water and use a dash of their milk to finish it off? I assume no if I'm buying other things, but sometimes I feel like a jerk if I'm not buying anything. OTOH, my tea is better and I don't want to pay to drink crap. :ohdear:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kapalama posted:

Someone mentioned this already but yes, absolutely bringing your own food and drink to a place of business is a complete and total dick move.

1. Their health certificate can be pulled if eating and drinking utensils have not been washed according to commercial standards (And yes this is a very strict part of a health inspection, they put themometers through the machine to verify the temp, and if it is not correct, the place is liable for immediate shutdown. For good reasons.) Your mug has not been sterilized.

2. Plus the whole this is a business not a park thing. Bringing your teabag is borderline, but seriously, they are paying bills to keep the place open. Pay them, or don't use their space. Pay for hot tea and secretly swap in your bag/ball. Why not petition them to carry your brand?

Thank you for giving me actual reasons. I've never gotten a negative response on it (actually last time the guy was really impressed that I had loose tea and talked to me about a trip he took to England once), but I don't like to be rude. This is generally in food court type college cafes, btw; I'm not walking into free-standing coffee shops and doing that. Good to know-- I'll just pay for hot tea in the future.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Does anyone have opinions on a free software that I can use to make a file that is an .avi right now watchable on a DVD from a DVD player? I would like one that doesn't put on a watermark or anything, and I'm not a big AV person so it needs to be semi-simple. Any opinions on Avi2DVD, or suggestions for other programs? Thanks.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

BorderPatrol posted:

DVDFlick is a free, open-source program that will do exactly what you want.

Thank you :)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

change my name posted:

Why wouldn't you thank the bus driver? Nearly everyone does it.

It's not as common as it should be where I am (college campus, lots of busses). Also more props to gmail.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

The Aphasian posted:

Is there a way to globally change the tenses in a document from Future to Past easily? My wife is in a grad class and they made all of the students change the first draft of their documents to future tense because their projects weren't done yet. Now that the projects are done, their making them change back to past tense.

She can't just revert because there were edits made in the interim.

No. She should woman up and do it properly. It's not like an automatic one would even work well.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

A good boy posted:

Why do english speaking countries call donuts donuts? Yes there is dough, but where does the nuts enter the picture? They should really be called dorings or dobagels.

Nut = tight curled up thing. The hole in the middle of many doughnuts is not inherent to their doughnutitude. What makes a doughnut a doughnut is frying a wet, eggy dough.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Mechafunkzilla posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2IHnWY-i6Y

What's the name of the song at the very beginning of this video?

Song identification megathread

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Chinaski posted:

Is it okay (non-harmful) to plug my Droid X phone into the car charger used by my Garmin GPS?

I'd check the various current ratings or whatever on the appropriate charger and see if they're different from the Garmin's. I'd err on the side of nodon't, though, just because it's an expensive thing to break.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

the posted:

If I'm including the title of a book in the title of a paper for a college course, how should I format the entire thing? Bold the title and underline the book?

Don't do anything to your title. Italicize the book title with in it.

E.g., Racism in Huckleberry Finn

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Elijya posted:

I'm fairly positive yes, because even if you aren't scamming to get insurance or get out of debt, it's still fraud. You're forcing officials to fraudulently issue a certificate of death and launch an investigation and such for one thing. I was glancing over a list of cases where people have done it, and it seems if there's no scam involved they may not bother prosecuting you or just have it be a misdemeanor, but it's still illegal.

I'd agree with this. If nothing else, it's tax fraud, right?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

change my name posted:

Is it generally considered poor form to not have read a book that your professor has written, especially when it relates to the class you're taking? I feel like that's something they'd probably draw from a lot.

Uh no. Read it if you're supposed to read it for class, but apart from that it'd just be sucking up/for your personal edification.

Honestly it's considered slightly bad form for professors to put their own work on the syllabus (unless they're pretty much the only person/one of few people who works on the topic or who works on it in the language your class speaks in).

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I looked up "go" in the Oxford English Dictionary and "go off" is meaning 85 under that. I assume the use for alarms is 85.g "To start into sudden action; to break into a fit of laughter, extravagance of language, irrelevant or unintelligible discourse, etc."

Here are the quotations it offers:

quote:

1825 New Monthly Mag. XVI. 342 The patriarch and fifty monks..go off into praises of her beauty. 1844 Fraser's Mag. XXX. 467/1 In the intervals of the most lugubrious chants..the organ went off with some extremely cheerful..air. 1879 J. C. SHAIRP Burns v. 115 The rest of the letter goes off in a wild rollicking strain.

I don't know if there is an answer to your "why," however. Alarms used to "sound" and I suppose "go off" is a more colloquial way of expressing it.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I am a grammar nazi and in my head I pronounce "xmas" "ex-mas" and :doh: "lb(s)" as in "pound(s)" "lib(s)." It's not downmarket, it's just lazy. Relax.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Is there a thread on credit reports? I've been turned down for an apartment because of a credit report through rental some or other dot com told them to deny me. I have never been in debt but I also have never had a credit card so I imagine that has something to do with it. I have no idea what is up with these things.

You can get a free credit report from each of the three bureaus once a year (I'm pretty sure this is the case, I mean, that you can actually get 3 a year if you use each bureau once). Annualcreditreport.com is the legit site; don't use another one. The three bureaus are Equifax, Transunion & Experian. You will not be able to see your credit score, but you can see what's on there.

Your credit score is calculated in a mystical way by a secret order of money druids, but I can tell you one or two things: 1) each credit card or line of credit you have is counted as GOOD for you, so if you have a credit card with a $5k limit and another one with like a $1k limit, you come across as having $6k of available credit. This is positive for your score. (2) Another thing is that it's actually good to have some debt-- or rather, to have HAD some debt and paid it off (student loans, mortgage, car, etc.-- not $$$ of credit card debt). If you have managed a long term debt or have been managing one that is still current, that is good for your credit score. So if you haven't ever had any loans or credit cards, your score is actually probably not as good as it would be if you'd bought a car or had a card for a while. A little counterintuitive, but that's druids for you.

Get a card and pay it off completely every month. Doing this will make your score much, much better. As for right now, the guy who said something about demonstrating steady income was correct-- you can write a letter explaining your income situation & give your employer as a reference, maybe show the rental agent a paystub. Also, since they looked it up, ASK THEM what your credit score is right now. It doesn't really matter what it is exactly, but hey, it's YOUR score, and you should know it.