Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Is there a site or database somewhere that catalogues nineteenth century steel engravings?

I mean of this kind:

Click here for the full 740x455 image.

Click here for the full 483x650 image.

These both happen to be somewhat romantically orientalist, but there's a lot of them of different buildings, animals, persons and whatever.
Though they were basically the photographs of the 19th century, I'd hope that someone somewhere would have at least tried to make a list of what's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

nesbit37 posted:

Short answer is no. This type of thing is a huge undertaking, not only because of the amounts of materials but also even knowing just what exists. Cataloging on the magnitude you are asking about is nearly impossible, especially for a sole institution. Add to the number of potential images to the extreme difficulty of describing images via text (graphics cataloging) and you have something that will probably never be complete and consolidated, even for one particular type of medium and period.

Yeah, that's about what I expected. There's little hope then that I'll be able to find the same engraving that was in my hotel room in Bahrain last week.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

change my name posted:

If I could somehow time travel, let's say, 30,000 years into the past and wanted to leave a message for someone in our time to find, how would I do it without whatever it's on decaying? Assuming it's too large to just carve into stone or something.

Give a vastly understated oral account of it to the natives. Hopefully they'll expand it into an epic that has grown to include whatever elements you didn't give them yet. They're going to expand on it anyways, so it's basically a guess which way they'll run with it.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Mongmonghi posted:

Hello I got a photo of a place where it has a sign that says how distant is from some major cities and I want to confirm the excact location of the place.
I think it's in France in the northen part east of Paris somewhere but I was wondering if anyone recognises the flag or can help me out more!
Thanks in advance!

Click here for the full 538x700 image.

The distances check out as being somewhere around Paris. I can't be any more specific, because the distances and the locations from which they are measured are not precise enough. You can check the distances for yourself at http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Yeah, especially in some of the Arab states where it is illegal to enter if you've been to Israel the immigration officers are obliged to literally check every page in the passport.

You can ask the Israelis to stamp a separate piece of paper instead of your passport if you explain your situation. They're quite used to this.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

SnowblindFatal posted:

Hmm, I may need to figure out something else, then. I'm thinking about a cheap way to make a reusable grid for some sweet D&D. I thought the whiteboard thing was a good idea, but if this is true, then it just might not do.

Use thin strips of black tape? Depending on what type you use, you could remove it afterwards.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

digitalscribbles posted:

I've looked online, but I'm having a hard time finding an answer.

My husband just got back from Qatar and brought me back a ring. We noticed it has what looks to be a swastika on the inside of it. What would this mean on the inside of a ring? It shows the weight of the diamonds, as well as the type of gold, and that seems fairly normal...but the swastika..not so much! lol

Can someone help explain it?

It also has a backwards K on it which I can't find info for as well. Is it possible these are marks that basically name the jeweler?

edited to add a question.

They could very well be jewellers' marks.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

greazeball posted:

Is there a page where you can find whether a first name usually belongs to a man or a woman? I live in Europe now and I just have no clue when I receive emails how to reply. I felt like an rear end when I called Maxime Madame last week and now I'm a little stuck on Rudi (he's from the Netherlands, so he's most likely a guy right?).

Now I'm just putting the names in GIS and seeing what comes up and I've also found this but does anyone know of something better?

In Holland, Rudi is a guy's name. If by any twist of fate it turns out to be a woman, she'll be used to people addressing her as if she were a man.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Anjow posted:

The name Wouter, is it pronounced:

a) Wooter
b) Wowter
c) Other

I heard it pronounced like both a and b today, but each of them by people who often get things like this wrong, so I don't know which it would be. I assumed a but I'm not sure.

It's a Dutch name and is always pronounced more or less like b.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
How long will normal computer speakers last in my bathroom?
I want to listen to the news while I take my morning shower, and use speakers the with my phone (that has a normal headphone connection). The problem is that most ultracheap speakers I've seen are all USB powered because it's the new big in electronics thing or whatever. But I want to use my phone, instead of exposing my laptop to all this moisture. This forces me to spend more than fifteen euros on this plan, and if I do that, I want the speakers to last.
So let's say I get some cheap Logitech 2.0 speakers (like these) and put them in the bathroom, will they still work in three months?

Edit: and let's say ventilation is just a little below what I'd want it to be. Just a little though.

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 13, 2012

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

randyest posted:

Wouldn't a cheap waterproof shower radio work? Or if you're listening to an Internet radio news thing maybe some cheap waterproof outdoor speakers? Seems like it'd be cheaper in the long run. Or maybe wrap your cheap speakers in plastic?

With regards to the shower radio, I maybe should've said that I really hate screwing around with batteries. And I just want to be able to play whatever from my phone or an mp3 player. In my search I've only found waterproof speakers that you have to build into something (a boat or something like that), so I guess standalone waterproof speakers aren't available in my market (the Netherlands).

But thanks for your suggestion of wrapping the speakers. I guess even just a layer of adhesive film would keep out a lot of steam.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Try looking for patio or pool speakers. A quick look at Google gets plenty of hits for sets that should be more than waterproof enough for your bathroom. You're probably looking at prices in the $50+ range though.

The only things like that that I can find for sale in the Netherlands are more expensive systems (wireless, bluetooth). For the price difference, I think it's worth a shot to try how long normal speakers with some plastic film on the front last.

It's always the same: the stuff I want is widely available in the US but not in Europe.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

What font is this? It looks really familiar to me, but I can't find it. Font identifier websites don't work because it's such a dark picture. It's a screenshot from Band of Brothers (as you might have guessed from the sign) with what I assume to be a typeface that was developed well after the war.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

WillieWestwood posted:

Will this help?

It did, but the identifier website didn't come up with anything useful.
Maybe I should just consider not turning this into an obsession.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrgjufJhmwk

Is the song playing in this video (the chromeweblab announcement) a song by someone, or is it just made for the commercial? Because the exhibition lets you make music, I'm having some trouble googling for the answer.

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 25, 2012

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Yeah, that's it. Thanks!

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I have a new tv (Samsung, last year model, 41 inch) and a very old stereo (Philips, from around 2000 with cheap speakers). Would it make sense in terms of sound quality to hook up my tv to the stereo, or would the sound quality of the tv itself be better?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
If an ancient amphora (of the shape shown in the top right picture on this wikipedia page and about four feet tall) were to be partially filled with coins, how full could it be in order to still allow it to function as a basic flotation device for a grown man? Assuming the amphora has a watertight seal. It doesn't have to support his whole weight, just enough to keep itself afloat and something for a near drowning guy to get at least some support from.

And yes, I do realise how oddly specific this question is. But I'd value anyone with the basic grasp on physics that I so dearly miss to make sure I don't write complete bullshit.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

alnilam posted:

The quickest way to approach it is this: To stay afloat, you have to have a combined density less than water.

Add up the mass of all the things (you can neglect the air inside half of the amphora).
Add up the volume of all the things
Divide the mass by the volume, and is it less than 1 g/mL (or 1000 kg/m^3)? Then it'll float.

So let's try a very rough approximation. Let's call the amphora a cylinder, 1.3m tall and 30 cm wide (going off of your height and they look to be about 1x4 or so). Let's say it's got a wall thickness of, I dunno, 3 cm of terra cotta.

Total volume of the cylinder: V_cyl = 0.092 m^3

Total empty volume of the cylinder: this is a cylinder that is 3 cm smaller on all sides
V_empty = 0.057 m^3

The total SOLID volume of the terra cotta: V_solid = V_cyl - V_empty = 0.034 m^3
We use this one to find the weight of the pot. The density of a brick (the best ref I felt like looking for) is 2,000 kg/m^3.
mass of amphora m_a = 69 kg :69snypa:

The empty portion is half-filled with coins. You'll need the "bulk" or "granular" density of coins - this means, when you throw coins in a pot, the pile doesn't have the density of pure metal because there's air in between them and stuff.
This gives us a density of 4900 kg/m^3 for perfectly stacked pennies. Let's cut that down to 3/4 of that value cause I'm assuming they're filled into the pot randomly.
The total mass of coins is going to be some fraction, F, of the empty volume.
m_coins = F * V_empty * density_coins
= F * (.057 m^3) * (3675 kg/m^3)

Finally, the human being!
m_guy = 69 kg :69snypa:
V_guy = 0.0664 m^3

Final calculation! Sum all the masses, sum all the volumes (not the empty volume, cause that's contained within the amphora).
m_total = m_guy + m_a + m_coins = 69 + 69 + m_coins = 138 + 211*F [kg]
V_total = V_cyl + V_guy = 0.158 m^3

Divide these to get a combined density. Set that equal to the density of water (1000 kg/m^3) and you'll get what fullness value F will drown your dude.

1000 = (138 + 211*F) / .158
F = .096
In other words, it has to be LESS than 10% full of coins. And that's even a gracious estimate, because that's the threshold at which barely anything (hopefully the dude's mouth) will be poking above the water surface, and also because a real amphora has a less favorable geometry than a perfect cylinder.

This all depends on how realistic my amphora geometry was, and how realistic my coin density was. But right now it looks like you can't have too many coins. Let me know if you want my excel sheet to play with the values yourself, or you can make your own.

...I like doing these kinds of problems.

Wow, this is great!

Thanks.

Looks like the guy in my story is going to end up on the other side of the Adriatic with a lot less money than I originally planned.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Baron Bifford posted:

I hear plenty of stories of Asians who pay snakeheads thousands of dollars to smuggle them into Europe or America, riding in appalling conditions in the backs of trucks. If they have so much money, wouldn't it be simpler to just get a tourist visa, take a plane and then overstay? What is stopping them?

Nationals of most countries can't get tourist visa on arrival in either Europe or the US. This still happens, though.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Highly Unnecessary posted:

A week ago I uploaded a youtube video and today I got this PM in my inbox.

I'm trying to work out if this is some sort of scam to get me to give up the rights to my video so they can claim adsense, I also received two other messages similar to this from other companies.

I have no idea how they found my video as it only has 150 views.

Yes, it's a scam. Don't do it. Just about anyone who ever uploads anything to YouTube will get these. They're automated messages and they've found your information by having a bot trawl all of YouTube, so the number of views on your video is not really relevant.

Edit: I don't mean everyone gets the same emails, but there's a similar scam for any kind of content.

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 16, 2013

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Serious Sam posted:

On an airplane: When are we going to stop turning off our electronic devices while takeoff and landing? It's getting kinda silly now in almost 2014. :downs:

Very soon. Like, in a couple of months soon. At least in the US and the EU. Both are in the final stages of making this possible.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

tuyop posted:

Well, I hate saying it but Evernote would let you do this. You could also probably use google drive and that way you'd be able to see who made what changes.

Anything that allows document collaboration should work for what you want to do.

Yes, you can very easily do this with a form in google drive. You can even choose what questions/choices to make optional and mandatory (though not conditional on each other, unless you want to do a lot of work). People will definitely be able to see that you used google drive, but you still have some options on layout.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I enabled Google Drive Offline on Thursday, and now in the 'All items' view, I see hundreds of documents I don't recognize. Like random scripts from various users, text books in Telugu and spread sheets in Vietnamese that I can't make any sense of either.

Are these just all public documents in the world or something? Or is something happening here that shouldn't?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
There has to be a list somewhere of something like the 50/100 most well known Western paintings from history, right? Probably quite a lot of them as people make different lists with different choices.
I'm looking for that, but because of stupid about.com articles on art history that don't have actual paintings or titles in them I can't find any.

Am I just bad at searching, or can you guys help me make a point on art literacy to my stupid friend?

Edit± found a couple, but they're all poo poo. I think I'm going to give up.

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 16, 2014

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
What's the deal with the random sliver of non-Italy coloured territory in the Anglican archdeaconry of Italy on this map?

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 12, 2014

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Flipperwaldt posted:

San Marino, is that what you're talking about?

I looked at San Marino, but it seemed a bit big for it to be that. And San Marino doesn't border the Adriatic. I guess it could just be the guy creating the map enlarging San Marino to make it clear that it's different from Italy.

It's still strange. The Vatican is part of the Italian deaconry, and Monaco is part of the French one. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to do with the Italian borders when the diocese was founded, since the borders around Venice and Slovenia are 1945 rather than 1862 borders. Seems strange that they'd correct the borders of Italy but keep San Marino part of Eastern Europe.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Namarrgon posted:

In some countries in Europe in the last few years men are now only permitted to wear tight swim clothing. The problem with loose shorts with one of those nets in them is that you can't really see from the outside whether it actually has a net, so for hygiene purposes pools are starting to straight up ban them.

Also, people were wearing underwear underneath shorts. Because how else are you going to pull up the waist band of your underpants above the waistband of your shorts. Apparently it's not good for pool filters to get a lot of cotton fibers in them or something. And then there's also the day old lovely track marks that might be in normal underpants.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

greazeball posted:

How much would it cost to buy all of Ayn Rand's works and then just never publish any of it again ever? Throw in a law firm on retainer or something to sue illegal distributors as well and I guess some kind of buy back or swap program. Would this actually work as a form of free market censorship?

The Bavarian government does this with Mein Kampf (sans the buyback programme). It works pretty well in Germany.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

thrakkorzog posted:

Meh. It would still exist out there on the internet. The best solution for bad speech is free speech.

I know plenty of people who have tried to to read Mein Kampf to see what was the big deal. Even if Hitler was crazy he must have had some nuggets of politically incorrect truth in there somewhere. Something that would maybe explain why Europe went apeshit over Fascism.

Nope, it's like trying to read up on Time cube theory. It's possible that it lost something in translation, but I doubt it.

It does still exist on the internet. But you need to go out of your way (well, less and less) to download a PDF.
In Hitler's case it helps that there's a pretty strong stigma against offering this kind of content, even if it's hosted outside Germany and Austria.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I was mainly replying to the logistics and legality of the matter. Those aspects work. Owning the rights makes it possible for the Bavarian government to prevent publishers from putting out, say a mass market paper back in German of Mein Kampf.

Whether or not it works (or is even necessary) on an ideological level is another matter.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Ras Het posted:

Not an answer of any sort, but wouldn't those tickets be a terrible thing to buy with stolen credit card info? Reserved seats, they'll have to pick them up or have them mailed somewhere, and scalping them seems a bit laborous too.

No. A lot of fraudulent transactions only get found out weeks after the fact, so the game would likely already have taken place.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

jon joe posted:

I do not own any sort of smart phone, but am regularly around computers that are not my home computer. I like to jot down random ideas/writings as they come to me, but a physical notepad is not always viable to carry around and I find the dropbox shuffle of downloading a file, editing the file, and re-uploading the file to be annoying. Is there some sort of site where I can just log on and log ideas into a word file to be accessed later?

Google Keep.
It's just a display with your notes. I use it for everything.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

jackpot posted:

I own my firstnamelastname.com domain. It's hosted through powweb, and the domain is registered there, too. I just noticed the domain expired back on January 14. I was going to re-register it through godaddy (I'm sure there are better places, but I already have other sites registered there, it's just easier), but godaddy's saying the domain is already taken. Sure enough, whois says the same thing - and what's more, they also say its expiration date is now January 14, 2016. As if it's been auto-renewed.

When I go to powweb, however, it's showing the domain as expired, with the option to renew it. How is it that powweb is giving me the option to renew this domain, but I can't register it anywhere else? Do they autopurchase expired domains, with the intent of selling them back to their customers?

It's in the redemption grace period (30 days for .com, I think). But it's strange that it would show a 2016 expiration date in powweb. Maybe they haven't got their whois configured correctly

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Cornwind Evil posted:

So I'm woken up at 8 AM by a phone call claiming to be from Microsoft Windows, an unsolicited phone call with a heavy South Indian accent, claiming I have downloaded 'lots of virus infected files' or something. I say not interested and hang up: they IMMEDIATELY call back. I say not interested AGAIN (I have Avast and Malware Bytes and THEY haven't found anything recently, and I just re-ran them right now to be ABSOLUTELY certain) and hang up, and they immediately call back AGAIN: I let it go to the machine and they hang up.

So, my question is, are the drat malware producers hiring their own drat call centers now? This is a first for me. It was the fact they immediately called back (twice) after I said 'not interested' that really got my attention.

They're not necessarily the ones who create malware. These are just guys who want to get remote access to your computer so they can steal anything that looks valuable (credit card stuff and passwords, mainly).
Some of them are really smart and install a new video driver that will make your screen go black while they can still see it, so you can't see what they're doing. They mainly target old people, I think, so maybe there's some reason they think you're old?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Kurtofan posted:

Did chrome's bookmark icon changed for anyone else?

Yeah, it's orange now instead of yellow, and works a little bit differently (worse)

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

KoB posted:

I want to print this sign up sheet in word but I want to print, say, 50 of them each with the sequential date on it for each day. Can Word do something like that?

Make a list of the dates in excel and use the mail merge function in word with that list as the source. It will automatically generate as many pages as there are things in your list.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

SporkOfTruth posted:

Not Scandinavian, but this is called böglyft.

The picture from this article kind of ruins it. Somehow I imagined it being some kind of overhead lift thing. Yeah, that doesn't sound logical and feasible now that I really think of it

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
They're for making fancy XTC tablets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Busy Bee posted:

Just learned about the Schengen Area - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area#Stays_in_excess_of_90_days

My understanding from reading the article is that if I spend 2 months in Spain - I can only spend a month in any country within the schengen area? So what would happen if I stay 3 months in Spain and then try to fly into Netherlands? Also, what is the deal with Romania? It shows as "legally obliged to join".

Yes, you can only spend 90 days at a time inside the Schengen area. If you want to overstay your visa and come to the Netherlands after spending your 90 days in Spain, I'd advise you not to fly but go by car.
But overstaying your visa could lead to problems once you leave the Schengen area, since immigration will see when you entered when they put the exit stamp in your passport.
So I'd really advise you to not do this. Being deported isn't a problem when you want to travel back, but possibly being barred from entering Europe in the future obviously is.

Romania and Bulgaria need to implement Schengen at one point, because they're continental EU members (as opposed to the UK and Ireland, who form their own Common Travel Area). But the Netherlands (and possibly Denmark? I'm not sure anymore) doesn't trust them to do a good job of protecting the outer borders or whatever, so they're not fully in yet.