Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

So I just got contacts for the first time in my life now that I'm pushing thirty. Seem to work well, but I'm plagued by the feeling of something in my eye. I realize that there is now a hunk of plastic resting on the surface of my eye, but is this something you get used to over time? If you've worn contacts for a long time, does it ever get to the point that it feels completely normal to have them in?

Also, any protips from any nice goons would be greatly appreciated.

It will most certainly take some time to get used to, but if you're wearing soft contacts you shouldn't be feeling them in a few weeks' time. If you've got hard contacts, you will always feel them when you first put them in and when your eyes get dry at the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Goddamn posted:

If it's any help, this is what's on the bottle:

(different bottle design though, taken off some photo site)

The stuff to the left of the balls is wheat crops, and the text on the bottom (just noticed it, should've mentioned before) is "Gurih & Kental"

Based on the bottle and underflow's rough translation I think it's just kechap manis, but maybe a bit stronger. I'm Dutch, but I've never seen anything other than 'regular' kechap manis. Can you taste it?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

kapalama posted:

Beacuse I don't know anything about temp agencies, I am not sure what to ask, but can you explain that?

If you do badly at interviews it reflects on the temp agency since they were the ones who sent you there in the first place. Companies do not want to do business with temp agencies who send bad applicants.

That said, like TheAngryDrunk I have never been on an interview through a temp agency, I've always started work straight away.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Not A Vet Yet posted:

I just volunteered to make my company a new website. Nothing complicated, just a few nicely set out pages about the business and whatever. I assumed it'd be easy but am now unsure where to start. Whats a good program for this? I looked at Wordpress but that seemed to be all about blogs, and microsoft publisher didnt look the best. I dont really want to learn HTML and kind of assumed there'd be some easy to use software.

You can easily set up Wordpress for non-blog use, because it uses normal pages like any other website. I do recommend it, I find it super easy to work with, and it's got loads of plug-ins if you need something special.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

kapalama posted:

"Chicken Skin" is a Hawaii term for goosebumps. Do non-Hawaii Englihs speakers use the term Chicken SKin?

Not really what you were asking, but to contribute: in Dutch the term is chicken skin rather than goose bumps, as well.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

buy a hotdog! posted:

I've always had issues with shaving my face/neck. After shaving I'll always develop acne all over my neck, and it gets so bad that I basically can only shave once or twice a week (usually once). I've tried switching between various blades/electric shavers (while giving my face enough time to adjust to these changes), along with different kinds of electric pre-shaving lotion/shaving cream/aftershave. I'll usually shave after taking a shower to soften up my facial hair but that doesn't really work either.

Am I doomed to a life of pizza neck or should I surrender, go full on :goonsay: and never shave again?

Have you tried wetshaving? There's a thread floating around somewhere and it's very useful.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Zegnar posted:

What is the best bolognese recipe?

Check goonswithspoons.com

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Travakian posted:

This past summer I was "denied leave of entry" to the UK. Had fingerprint/photo taken and all that fun stuff -- was an issue with work visas (the lack thereof, really).

Anyhow.

Would this be a problem were I ever to head to the UK as a visitor / to work, with an actual visa? How about applying for a visa for other countries -- would this have to be mentioned, or can it be swept under the proverbial rug?

Possibly. In my experience, when you apply for a visa they usually ask you whether you've ever been denied a visa, so that is when it could come up.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Emmjay posted:

A quick question about accents in movies and on TV. When a foreign actor speaks in your native language, are you always able to tell that they are not native speakers? I'm Australian and I've never seen an actor do a convincing Aussie accent - is that because the accent is difficult to do or because a non-native speaker can never totally get an accent right?

As a Dutch person, I can tell you that most 'Dutch' accents I've heard on TV or in movies more closely resemble Russian than Dutch. So yeah, I hear it too, and it's not just the slang, it's the pronunciation.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

change my name posted:

There's one banner ad I keep getting for coupons in nyc, and the picture on it is a stack of multicolored burgers(?). What are they?

I haven't seen the banner, but they're probably macaroons.

Question: we recently bought a barbecue which we put on our balcony, covered in a hood. A few days after we bought it a pair of pigeons decided to build a nest underneath it. They haven't laid any eggs (it's summer here, I don't know if they will lay any eggs for a while) but they are making GBS threads up our balcony and waking us up at 6AM every morning. We scare them away every time we hear them and clean away their nest every day as well. Last weekend we were gone for a few days so we put everything from the balcony inside, but they were back again this morning. What can we do to get rid of these birds?

For reference, our balcony is covered and shaded by horizontal metal bars that are maybe 6 inches apart. We've tried tying string between the bars to limit the space but they sneak in anyway. We're thinking of getting one of those fake cats with the reflective eyes but the sun doesn't get to our balcony until about noon, so nothing will reflect off that. We can try tying cds to the bars but again, there won't be a reflection in the morning and quite apart from that it is freaking ugly.

Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

baquerd posted:

A pellet gun and 30 minutes of waiting for them to hold still will solve your problem.

I'm not killing birds because they are making GBS threads on my balcony, but nice suggestion anyway!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

baquerd posted:

netting no more than ~1" square per block
sonic solution b

Barometer posted:

ceramic Owls

kapalama posted:

sticks with shiny propellors on it

Thanks for all the suggestions, we'll be trying them out from least ugly to most obnoxious :)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

wigtrade.cc posted:

another question about my notifications problem I checked off all the boxes in the notifications options in skype but I still have my taskbar become unhidden with the lovely orange box that alerts me that i must click on it. Any idea on how to stop any program from doing the orange alert thing?

Kind of obvious maybe but have you gone into the taskbar properties -> customize notification area, and played around with those settings?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Zegnar posted:

Where can I find an online art history site with big pictures? Something to lead me through the basic concepts and chronology

No chronology/theory but lots and lots of images of paintings sorted by period and artist can be found at the artchive. If you can't find anything better, you could always use wikipedia for the chronology and theory part of it and this for the pictures.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

FLX posted:

Yes, you have to get your own domain and webspace(!) for your mailbox and website.

Not if you just want the email address. Most (all?) domain registration places will let you create an email address that forwards everything to an already existing email address, so you don't need any webspace.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I've got a blog on Wordpress (pretty small, mostly friends who read it), and this last week I've been getting referrals from URL shortening sites, which I've never had before.

What gives?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

When do prices for international flights tend to drop? I know you have to either book early or late, but I'd rather not leave it til the last minute and it's already too late for early.

I'm looking to travel one month from now, so should I cut my losses and book now or will it drop at all within the next 2-3 weeks?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Fists Up posted:

I would probably suggest you book now or you might find that it will shoot up in the week beforehand. Read some of this. If you dont NEED to travel at that exact time then you could just sit and wait for something cheap to come up but then you'd need to be able to drop everything and fly within a week.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3391967

Thanks for your help. I did have some specific dates that I needed so decided to just go ahead and book it :)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I'm looking for a program that'll let me do group video calls like Skype, but for free and with minimal ads. Only 3 people will be in the group.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Google just doesn't tell me anything about how good/poo poo they are.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

hooah posted:

What other movie used Billy Crystal's speech from near the end of "When Harry met Sally"? Y'know, the "I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out..." one, but one of the characters (I think the girl the quote is directed at) wasn't wooed because she knew what it was from?

This happened in a Scrubs episode (S3E21, My Self-examination)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

teamgod posted:

Do I need to give my landlord a 30-day notice if there's no contract or lease? There's a nicer apartment coming up for rent at the start of April and if my wife and I pack up quickly we might be able to move out by the 1st.

Since it's such short notice my landlord might be pissed but I don't think there's any legal action he can take, right?

Were you ever on a lease with your current landlord? If so, it's likely that both you and he have notice periods.

I live in Australia so it's probably a bit different here, but I am not on a lease with my landlord anymore, however if he wants to kick us out to put the house on the market he has to give us 2 months' notice, if he wants to kick us out to move into the house himself he has to give us 4 month's notice. If we want to move out we have to give him at least 30 days notice.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Marshmallows manufactured in Europe taste different from marshmallows. Even the plain white ones, amusingly labelled "American Marshmallows" (but made in Holland) taste nothing like the stuff from the US. Why do they make them different? Do Europeans have different tastes? Does anyone know where I can buy imported American marshmallows in Brussels?

Mind you marshmallows made in Holland taste different from ones made in the UK as well - so maybe you could try marshmallows made in different European countries if you can't find American ones?

They should be fairly easy to find online though, there are plenty of 'international' candy websites that will ship all over Europe.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

hooah posted:

Facebook seems to have gotten rid of the "Photos" link in the left pane. Is this true for anyone else, and if it is, where do I now go to see my friends' latest photo uploads?

You mean in the newsfeed? For me it shows up if I click on 'More' in the left pane.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

hooah posted:

Yeah, it's not even under there anymore. I made sure to turn off Greasemonkey and refresh the page, too, just in case.

Is there a 'see hidden' under there? If so then you can turn it on from there, if not then I'm stumped.

However you can still see recently uploaded photos in your newsfeed, if you click on the arrow next to Most Recent and choose photos.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

SlightButSteady posted:

I've come to a bit of a stumbling block over technical terminology, I think...

I have a new Kindle and I need to register it to "unlock" certain options, like creating collections. I don't have wireless - which is the only way it will connect to Amazon.

Is there such a thing as a cheap USB transmitter that I can plug into my PC, or do I need to get a wireless router for this sort of thing.

(incidentally, the two wifi hotspots near my area crash its browser)

If you can't find a wifi spot to use, you'll have to call amazon's customer service who can apparently unlock it for you (I read this on the kindle userforums somewhere)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I'm going on holiday to the US for two weeks, and will be meeting up with friends, so I want to buy a cheap prepaid sim card. What would be the best place to pick one of these up? I'd prefer to get one that I can just pay for and use immediately, rather than have to stand around in a shop waiting for them to register my details.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

RaoulDuke12 posted:

What? You can definitely buy prepaid sim cards. Best Buy has like 10 of them.

You need an unlocked GSM phone though, that operates on the carrier's US bands, which might be an issue.

I agree with fishmech that buying a burner is a better option though.

We've got two phones that both support triband and quadband so that shouldn't be a problem :) Would prefer to get a simcard, so will have a look at Best Buy, thanks!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Can you pay for editions/ subscriptions of magazine apps (e.g. the New Yorker) on the iPad with an iTunes gift card?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Cukel posted:

Thanks a lot for the help! Okay, looks like I was confused about that - guess I'll just stuff all that in my backpack, and have to deal with customs when I land? Additional question: any idea how painful this procedure is, is it as simple as saying I have 5 liters of alcohol in my backpack and paying the tax at some sort of special customs entry gate?

The liquor is Koskenkorva Salmiakki, black liqorice flavored vodka. A lot of my friends expressed interest in it and I figured just 1 liter wouldn't be enough and I'd make a thing about bringing a whole lot of it.

Uh, I'm pretty sure you can't take even a 1-litre bottle of alcohol with you in your carry-on, only in checked baggage. You can bring up to 1 litre of liquids in your carry-on, but any one container can't be more than 3 ounces, off the top of my head. So definitely put it in your checked baggage.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Fists Up posted:

The first Costco is opening in Sydney in July.

All I know about costco is that its big in North America, is a place where you buy things in bulk and you pay for a membership to shop there.

How good is it though? Would it be worth getting a membership for? What do you tend to buy there? How much do you save for certain things? Is it more than just groceries/basic necessities?

I went to a Costco when I was over in America a few weeks ago and as soon as one opens up near me I'm getting a membership. Even if there is only a handful of products that you would buy in bulk from there, it's going to be worth it. Even more so if you have a decent sized freezer and buy meat in 'bulk'.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

randyest posted:

Enjoy you are ban

Sorry, and I know you didn't ask, but FYI: your. "You are your own worst enemy."

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Egg Poacher posted:

Despite being part-time, I'm paid a salary, not a wage. There is also no overtime, but instead flexi-time whereby I get TOIL (time off in lieu of overtime).

Does your contract say anything specific about public holidays? Generally, casual employees never get paid for public holidays, but instead get paid a relatively higher wage. So, unless your contract explicitly states that you will be compensated for public holidays, you're not entitled to that pay. However that also means you don't have to work an extra day if you don't have to. I'd check with your company's HR dept/person if I were you.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Egg Poacher posted:

Well the contract simply states that bank and public holidays are additional to my 25 days (pro rata) annual leave. Which obviously means I get the day off whilst paid as normal.

My issue is them moving the goal posts just because a bank holiday cropped up. I've done it in the past and I didn't mind (I enjoy my job) but on this occasion I had planned to be away for something important and so when it became an issue it felt like a bit of a cheek to be challenged about it (especially the day before).

I'll check with HR if it escalates; I was just curious whether I had a valid point. I mean, if I had another job on Thurs/Fri what would they do then?

From what your contract states it sounds like they have no ground whatsoever to ask you to come in on Thursday. If you get paid leave on public holidays it is because normally you would work that day, but because it is a public holiday, you don't. And if you would normally work that day then you wouldn't be working on Thursday, therefore they can't ask you to work Thursday now.

If you do end up working on Thursday they'd have to pay you overtime (or give you time in lieu).

Also what Eyeball said.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I'm looking for decent literature (either online or a book) on global warming/cooling, and whether or not it is worsening because of industry and fossil fuels etc. I've read short bits over the year supporting and denying this, and I'm really interested in reading an intelligent discussion about it, ideally written by people who have nothing to gain from writing about it (although I realize this may be a tough requirement).

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

isoprenaline posted:

What does this mean?

!=

'Is not', or 'does not equal'.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Etiquette question: I'm applying for a job via email. I had to ask a question about the vacancy earlier, so when I wrote the lady an email I addressed it "Dear Ms Smith." When she replied, she addressed me "Dear Mary" and signed off with "Best, Jane." This is the same person I will be sending my CV and cover letter to, so how do I address her? Last name or first name?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Why do sugar packets at restaurants and cafes have different numbers on them? They always have various numbers so it doesn't look like they're lot numbers or anything.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Dudebro posted:

How do I say the name "Michell" of Michell Wool based in Australia? I'm not sure if it sounds like Mitchell or Michelle or a combination of the two. I read about them in the book The Big Thirst (great book so far btw).

Like Michelle

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Moscow Mule posted:

I'm looking for a couple (or series) of front page articles. I've tried searching around a bit but I can only think of the most general search terms and that brings up too many results.

It was an interview with a class of kids, maybe 4th, 5th, or 6th grade. The questions were like "What would you do if you were president" and 4 or 5 kids would answer in absurd ways. It was probably over a year ago, maybe more.

Kids Say the Darnedest poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

USPS

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think most international parcels are tracked beyond the US border, so that may be why it seems to still be 'stuck' there.

That said, 3 weeks is a very long time and it should have arrived by now, but sometimes it does take up to a month for stuff to get to Australia. I've had to wait that long in the past, for sure.

I'd give it another week and maybe check your local post office as well.