Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wagonburner posted:

At a couple of Mcdonalds they have TVs on the wall on mute with a sign underneath saying "Volume must remain off per FCC regulations" What's up with that?

It reminded me of something, somewhat related, in the aspect ratio modes section of my TV manual it says something to the effect of "use of modes other than native may be unlawful for other than home use"

The second one I'm guessing is something like "you don't want to piss off james cameron for making your own 4:3 interpretation of avatar inside your bestbuy/blockbuster/whatever store". Is that close to right? I have no idea on the mcdonalds muted tvs though.

Well if McDonald's isn't paying for "business" TV service and the like, it's unlawful for them to provide the sound to their customers. It's sorta the same reason that most businesses won't have a regular radio playing in customer areas - they'd have to pay a feeeto certain groups to have the rights to play music to you.

The second sounds like it's just something thrown in there to cover their asses so they can't get sued by some jerk's media company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wagonburner posted:

Weird never knew that. It was foxnews they had on, if it was a regular air channel abc cbs fox can they have sound? there's ads on there that people see.

Also ads on radio people hear too, I always thought the reason for muzak was a restaurant would never find a radio station that didn't piss someone off so they chose muzak to ever-so-lightly piss us all off with light jazz or light adult contemporary.

Technically if you display regular broadcast TV in a business, you still need to pay someone for the right to do it - I forget who though.

Well the muzak systems explicitly include the rights to play them to customers - some places of business instead directly pay the RIAA I think to be allowed to just play regular radio.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

Pdfs are almost never just picture of the page. They can be, but they rarely are.

To add to this, having a PDF that is just a scanned image is a relatively recent development, when PDF was developed you almost exclusively would use it for computer generated stuff.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Is there a way to block mail from a certain address? I'm talking about real SNAIL mail here, not email. An ex keeps sending letters and cards in the mail. As much as I've pleaded with him to stop, I still receive the occasional birthday card or "Hey what's up girl" letter... which my fiance is not too happy about.

Can I just go to the post office and tell them to block his address and mark it "return to sender"? I've searched relentlessly on Google for the answer to this, with no avail.

(don't say get a restraining order, because I live in a different country, I'm not in jeopardy and I only receive a letter once every couple months usually)

Considering there's no way to block it, realistically, have you tried asking him to donate to a charity on your behalf when he wants to send you stuff. I mean yeah it sounds crazy but whatever.

As others have said - even if you could block his address, he can just use a different or no return address at all. He could even drive to different nearby post offices to mail stuff instead of his town's.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

change my name posted:

Does anyone here have a MiFi/ know someone who does (more specifically, the Virgin Mobile MiFi)? I love the idea of being some kind of cyberpunk nerd

I have one, on the $40 a month prepaid unlimited plan, it works great!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

alan negative posted:

I have a new social security card coming into my new address. But at the social security office, i forgot to specify the apartment number. I'm freaking out, what do I do?

Inform your landlord.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gwar3k1 posted:

Parlour Music. Adding 1930's to your search term isn't going to hurt.

Where can I get a brown suit with blue pinstripes, like David Tennant's Doctor in the UK? It's for a Halloween costume and so far the only reasonably priced one is discontinued. I've seen the two replica ones for $200 and $500+ dollars, but don't want to spend that much on an import.

It doesn't have to be a replica, so long as its close enough. Any ideas?

Call up a tailor? I'm sure any given tailor will have that style of fabric and if they don't they'll certainly be able to get some to make a suit by Halloween.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

stubblyhead posted:

Yes I am sure a tailored suit will cost much less than $200.

Tailored suit doesn't have to mean a nice suit. I went to a local tailor one year to get a gaudy purple Joker from Batman type suit for Halloween and he whipped one up for me for about $40.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Note that in quantum mechanics, "observation" and "measurement" are satisfied by merely having inanimate atoms bump into whatever is in question. You don't need someone actually going out and trying to observe/measure to have the "observation" effects occur.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

Not quite correct. The two slit in a perfect example of needing an actual measurement. Prior to the measurement on the backscreen, the particle travels through both slits (which of course in nonsensical in the non quantum world).

The two slits do not measure (because they do not locate) however so they do not determine.

It does actually need an measuring observer to collapse the wave function.

A particle to particle interaction is a measurement because it determines location and momentum.

I don't think you understand, the same stuff still happens if noone's around looking at it. It is essentially impossible for any even to go unobserved by quantum mechanics standards. If there's no human standing there, the atoms of the slit and back wall themselves are the "observer".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dandy Cat posted:

At the risk of sounding like an emo fag, I was wondering if anyone knows any good places to order clove cigarettes online from? I ordered 2 cases of Djarums from salecheapcigarettes.com and they shipped me 5 cartons of some other kind of clove. I am just kind of looking for a reliable place to order from.

Yes, I'm emo. Let's just get that out of the way.
FYI:
As of September 22, 2009 the clove cigarette was no longer legal to sell or distribute in the US, and cigarettes purchased overseas are subject to seizure by U.S. Customs.

As I assume you're American, you should realize it's been illegal to get clove cigarettes for almost a year now. You need to start looking for clove cigars or clove mini-cigars.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BorderPatrol posted:

Since this is the small questions thread, Arriviste do you use some kind of weird WYSIWYG editor to post on SA? From your post history, all your links are bolded or italicized, you use [super] and [sub] tags moe than a normal human should, and you even use citation notes on some of your posts.

What I'm saying is, are you infact Wikipedia.org posting as a goon?

SALR lets you easily do all the markup, if that's what you're after.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eyeball posted:

How do I figure out what generation a Kindle is?

If it's all angular and wedge-shaped it's first generation.

Otherwise:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Sidewalk biking is rarely illegal outside of cities, and usually much less dangerous than street biking outside cities.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Anjow posted:

How do you pronounce DDoS?

If you need to say it, it's best to just say the full thing (distributed denial of service).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

So my ISP, Alltell, decided to screw me over by selling the only tower near me to AT&T--and then they discontinued my service without notice because I'm "roaming". After calling no less than two 800-numbers and asking them what the gently caress, they turned my access back on until the end of the month and reduced my bill.

Only two providers, Verizon and AT&T, will work out here in the boonies. Problem is, they have a 5GB a month limit and will charge you astronomical fees if you exceed that (one guy I know lost track of his data usage and got a $3,000 bill). In the magical age of 2010, when all websites have at least a megabyte of flash bullshit on each page, 5GB is a loving joke. However, Virgin Mobile's 3G network barely works. I only get one bar, and it takes nearly a full minute just to load Google. But Virgin's access is unlimited and it costs half of what I would have to pay those other pricks for 5 gigs. Is there any way I can boost the signal on this thing, or am I utterly hosed until I move closer to civilization (which won't be happening in the foreseeable future)?

Actually these days, both Verizon and AT&T charge you $10 per extra gigabyte of usage, they no longer do the kind of overage charges that lead to a $3000 bill domestically.

I don't get it though are you using cellular as your only internet access? If you can't get cable or DSL look into an actual wireless internet provider, one that doesn't use cell service. They usually have better plans, usually don't have data caps, and usually are more reliable.

And you don't really have a hope of improving your connection to Virgin Mobile (they use Sprint for their actual network by the way). if you had land-based broadband you COULD get a femtocell, a device which you out in your house that creates access to the cell network through your broadband line, but that's really not an option if the cell service is your broadband.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

No cable or DSL in my area. In fact, the landlines are so awful that dial-up isn't even an option. The only way to transmit data here is to transmit it over the air. Alltel was working pretty well, but not anymore I guess. The pisser is that Verizon would charge me exactly the same amount as Alltel, but they would cap my service.

Well Verizon IS Alltel, seeing as they bought them and all. But yeah, they've loosened the overage charges on it. Like I said though, try to find an actual wireless ISP, I'd reccomend one but they're pretty much all regional not national.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

change my name posted:

How does the Droid marketplace work? Is it true there's just no guidelines at all? That'd explain things like the psx/gba emulator and the hotspot creator apps (when sprint normally charges $30 a month to "officially" use it)

They'll kick your app out if it's malicious. Or if it just doesn't work at all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Expired Condom posted:

Do freight trains run every day of the year, or do they take holidays?

edit: I'm primarily interested in America.

It depends on the operator, the railroad, the customers, and so on. For example, I believe some coal power plants require coal to be delivered by train every day to keep the plant running, those would have to have freights rolling on holidays.

Anecdotally, there's a rail line that passes about a mile form my house that is both for passenger and freight service. I have heard and seen freights using it on various holidays, including Christmas and Labor Day.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kitsch! posted:

What would be the simplest way to do this, for someone who is generally computer-ignorant:

The small business I work for just switched nameservers from GoDaddy to Dreamhost. We've been using Outlook for viewing/receiving/sending mails with IMAP. What would be the best way to import the folders that are on the GoDaddy server, "close" the connection with that account (without deleting the folders in Outlook) and then setup the new email (mail.ourbusinessname.com)?

I have to do it with 4 separate email account and I have a feel it's going to be annoying and tedious. Thanks!

Did you enable Google Apps through Dreamhost? If you do that you can maintain Outlook compatibility, but the Google Apps mail interface also has a function that imports all mail from the old mailservers to the new accounts.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

Bad stuff about CFLs: big time toxic waste when they do finally die.

Not really. It is a small amount of mercury in the base - less than they used in old thermometers. All you have to is find a proper disposal site which can usually be done by calling your city or county government. Usually they can be recycled into new CFL bulbs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rankine Over Gash posted:

My girlfriends' housemate has come back to the flat a bit giddy. He's found a large amount of money in notes on the pavement (three figures) and is rather excited. However, without wanting to piss off any Karma Gods, we've all agreed he should notify the local police that he has found it. Am I correct in assuming there's a set time for it to be claimed before it becomes finders keepers? Any help or experience in this matter would be appreciated.

We're in the UK, so answers might be different internationally.

Well first things first you should take it to a bank or something and ask them to check if they're counterfeit.

Additionally though, if it's just loose money on the ground there's no real way for the police to find whose it is (unless the person who lost it meticulously recorded all the serial numbers). Turning in a wallet is expected since there can be secondary identification and all that, but loose money on the ground belongs to whoever finds it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FLX posted:

I've got a stock market related question. A couple of days ago, when the rumor came up that Microsoft might acquire Adobe, Adobe's stock price jumped up by 17%. Why did that happen? If I owned Adobe stocks, I wouldn't be happy about someone buying the company. I obviously have no clue about stocks and all of this, but I thought that generally takeovers aren't necessarily a good thing if the company isn't in trouble. (Is Adobe in trouble?)

When a company look to be close to being bought out, investors try to buy shares in it in hopes of making a profit from the potential buyout, and that drives the stock price up.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Orzo posted:

attempting to do that, it's just a pain in the rear end with little space and no yard (high rise)

Put the gravel on a pan or something in your oven, with it turned to about 200 degrees or so. It'll quickly dry though obviously you'll need to wait for them to cool down later.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm sure there's a scientific or psychological explanation for why colors projected onto a pure white image come out in the exact same color...I just don't know what it is. Can anyone link me to the explanation?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but a pure white surface is one that reflects all light equally and nearly completely, so none of it is absorbed which could change the overall color.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Macys posted:

Does streaming HD video (youtube et al.) require more CPU/GPU power than playing a file from the harddrive?

I've been thinking of getting a cheap netbook, and I swear the claims of "PLAYS HD VIDEOS!" never seem to mention whether they include streaming video or not.

Before recent versions of Flash, all the video decoding in a streaming flash video had to be done on the CPU whereas the audio and video decoding when played outside of Flash usually had some level of video card and sound card acceleration involved, reducing CPU need.

The most recent versions of Flash support hardware acceleration of video and audio decoding tho, although you have some minor overhead on the CPU still. Naturally though, you need a graphics chipset capable of doing the acceleration, and the very cheap models (sub-$200) usually won't be sufficent for that. Try to find a netbook with an Nvidia ION or ION 2 graphics chipset in it, those will definitely handle high def streaming video in Flash and the like.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In retrospect we'll probably just refer to 2000-2009 as "turn of the century" again.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

change my name posted:

How does amazon calculate tax? I just bought 50 dollars worth of books, and the tax only came out to 80 cents.

The same way the law calculates tax. Remember that you usually don't pay sales tax on items bought from other states, you probably only got taxed on one book that originated in your state.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

the posted:

My work sells soda in biodegradable "eco" cups that are made from corn. Could I eat theoretically one of those?

Yes but it wouldn't taste good or really feed you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

revolther posted:

Here's a question about Android and tablets from someone with no knowledge of either firsthand, I guess it's a little about Google Voice too which I have a little knowledge of.

I'm looking into getting a cheapy Android 2.1/2.2 tablet for around the house browsing/reading and whatnot. I notice some offer built-in mics and I remember mention of the Google Voice app being an obvious for Android phones. Is there any reason to have it on a wifi tablet? Is there some sort of trickery I can use to maybe daisy chain gvoice and skype into free/cheap VOIP from the tablet or something?

I've used Google voice in conjunction with my non-smartphone as a voicemail archive and telemarketer screener, but I'm not getting if the "app" version actually handles calls like GTalks voice/video chat or just routes them?

You're better off asking here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3281154

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Drevoak posted:

We've never gotten any notice about going over the limit.

Then don't worry about it. The 250 gigabyte cap is a "soft" cap - it does not apply to everyone at all times. If you've been going over for months, and having received a notice, it's because Comcast doesn't care if you go over the cap in your location.

I also have Comcast and have been going over 250 gb every month since April, no problems.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Extensive Vamping posted:

Okay, here's a really stupid question:

How much would Gordon Freeman's equipment in the first Half-Life game weigh, assuming he is fully equipped? Obviously we don't know how much a gluon gun or a snark weighs, so there is some guesswork involved. I'm just interested in a guesstimate. TIA.

Standard spacesuits weigh 185 pounds, and the HEV suit is basically a spacesuit, so it probably weighs the same.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Drimble Wedge posted:

They've probably got some sort of traffic shaping in place so that torrents receive a lower priority over types of network activity.

He's not talking torrents. He's talking the .torrent file you download to start a torrent.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you take more than about 150% the daily recommended dose of Vitamin C, you just piss out the excess within hours of consumption.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gravity Pike posted:

Probably. However, the effect-size of placebos has doubled over the past 20 years or so, and Vitamin C might be helpful, and it's certainly not harmful, so why not?

It's a waste of your money to buy vitamin c pills for stuff like that. You get 225% of your daily recommended value of Vitamin C from drinking 2 glasses of orange juice with most brands. And like I said earlier, over 150% you piss it out basically as soon as possible.

Honestly, there's a lot of vitamin c in almost every food we eat, most people get well over the daily dose by midway through lunch/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Luffles posted:

Can my apartment complex force me into a specific ISP? I assume they get some sort of kickback and don't want me to leave it, but FiOS is available here and I hope that I'm not actually stuck with Bright House at this new apartment.

Call up the FCC and explain your situation, they can tell you whether your apartment complex can disallow you from getting FIOS.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Alderdash posted:

I realize this is a pretty specific question, but does anyone know how I can go about fixing/getting a broken neon light fixed? I looked up neon sign specific repair places and the closest one is like an hour an a half from where I live. All it is is a crack in the glass tubing that needs to be fixed.

I might be able to fix it myself, but I have NO clue what goes into this type of thing. Am I required to refill the drat thing with neon gas?

The crack in the glass is circled below.

If there is a crack in the tubing, the neon or other gas used (since some gases can be used instead of neon itself to better display different colors) has gotten out and would need to be replaced, assuming you could properly repair the thing in the first place. Likely, the whole tube with the crack will need to be removed and replaced with a brand new one. Fortunately, that tube looks like it should be easy to get replaced, but yeah there's not much hope of fixing it yourself.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

the posted:

Before computers, how did they measure things?

I mean, like, let's say you wanted to cut a piece of wood to the length of a foot.

You take out a ruler and mark off a foot.

But how did the manufacturer of the ruler know that he was making something that was a foot long? How was he so exact? What did he measure against?

And if he used something, how was that thing created to be exactly a foot? Who knew they had exactly a foot?

Protip: before they worked out all the measures there would be a different length of the foot, different weight of the pound, and different volume of a cup if you went 100 miles away from home.

For example though for a modern measure:
Currently the meter is defined as the distance travelled by light in vacuum in 1⁄299,792,458 of a second. However this is just a back definition found after a meter was attempted to be defined as one ten-millionth of the distance from the Earth's equator to the North Pole at sea level by French scientists. It turned out what they got didn't actually match a 10 millionth of that distance so they had a bar made of the size they found and it became eventually defined as the current definition.

Essentially it's just some length. The same happened with every other measure.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

My question too.

(Computers do almost nothing not 'computerish'.)

Fun fact about standard for weights and measures: The standard Kilogram varies in weight for no known reason. The standard kilogram is one measure that is specifically defined based on a specific physical object, and that object varies in weight for no known reason.

The standard kilogram varies in weight because it is a unit of mass and being in locations where the force of gravity changes changes the weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

The standard kilogram might be called a measure of mass, but since that mass is always determined by measuring its weight, to make a distinction in this case is stupid. They do not do any mass measuring tests; they use only weight measuring tests.

The weight varies for reasons that are far from clear. The most important anomaly is the fact the the weight for some samples tend to vary more than the weight of others, and they do not vary consistently. And none of the primary standard samples move from their storage location, though the comparison samples do.

Gravity varies across the earth's surface bro. Move any object anywhere and the weight changes. Not so much that most people could feel it but a sensitive scale shows it.

Elijya posted:

Question: What about the definition of a second? What phenomenon is that based on?

And I thought there was some interrelation between the SI units? Something like 1 cubic meter of water (at room temperature sea-level pressure) is equal to precisely X kilograms? If the definition of a meter is based on the speed of light, wouldn't that in turn affect the measurement of a gram?

All units are actually arbitrary things, which we later hunted down precise measurements for. The second is 1/60 of a minutes and a minute is 1/60 of an hour and there are 24 hours in a day... except there's actually a teeny bit extra time, less than a second, in the length of the day.

All SI units are supposed to be interrelated and a kilogram was supposed to be the mass of a liter of water at the densest point which was supposed to be 0 degrees celsius. But it turns out water is at its densest at 4 celsius, so noone could agree on which part 0 c or densest should be the definition, so they made a lump of iridium and other metals and said it's that.