Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, I didn't know what I expected from that description, but it wasn't 'accuracy'. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That game sounds rad. I'm gonna track it down.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
my mom even bought it for me at a garage sale, I'm a little concerned I may be a ghost story IRL

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Here's a good video going over everything in the Mario 64 Iceberg image:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK4L4wR3-pU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Here's a good video going over everything in the Mario 64 Iceberg image:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK4L4wR3-pU

Seconding this video

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If two Samuses agree how can I refuse?

Thirding

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
wanna see some fake poo poo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x61X5RLFw14

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I don't like it tbh, heavy Ben drowned, over the top vibes. Mario64 is already wierd enough

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I appreciate the effort, tbh.

Tracking on a VHS :allears:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SUPER MARIO 64 MYSTERIES GUIDE posted:

There is no doubt that the Mirror Room is one of the paramount mysteries in the
gem that is Super Mario 64, perhaps only rivaled by the L is real 2401 mystery.
The difference between the two, however, is that the huge amount of evidence is
supportive of the notion that the Mirror Room is two separate rooms, and Mirror
Lakitu and Mirror Mario are mimics, whereas there's no real definitive evidence
that Luigi is somewhere in the game, or that L is real 2401 even refers to some
secret, or even that the plaque even says L is real 2401! Who knows... maybe in
the future, on some fateful day, Mirror Mario will jump through the mirror just
to say hi, or the puzzling structures will be able to be Butt-stomped down into
the floor like tree stumps, or something will actually appear in the room with-
out being reflected in the mirror, as Toad has said all this time. Is it likely
that any of these things will come true? No... but for the time being, my appe-
tite for the mysterious is satiated enough by marching into the Mirror Room and
knowing that the Mario I am looking at in the mirror is not a reflection...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Points for Mirror Room Theorists, that's basically the only SM64 mystery that actually did develop, they did more with it in the DS version.

Did most of those people just... not realize the purpose of the mirror was to point to Snowman's Land, though? Did they just learn about Snowman's Land elsewhere and completely fail to notice the mirror clue, so it was just parsed as 'weird mirror room that happened to have an unrelated world in it'? Do they also think there's a Medium-Medium Island because of the normal-sized painting in Tiny-Huge Island's room?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cleretic posted:

Points for Mirror Room Theorists, that's basically the only SM64 mystery that actually did develop, they did more with it in the DS version.

Did most of those people just... not realize the purpose of the mirror was to point to Snowman's Land, though? Did they just learn about Snowman's Land elsewhere and completely fail to notice the mirror clue, so it was just parsed as 'weird mirror room that happened to have an unrelated world in it'? Do they also think there's a Medium-Medium Island because of the normal-sized painting in Tiny-Huge Island's room?

lol the dude (it's always a dude) who wrote it is just insane

https://web.archive.org/web/20180306090944/https://www.sm64.com/misc/Mysteries%20Guide.txt

insane SM64 sperg posted:

In the third level of Super Mario 64 is a sunken ship. After this ship has been
emptied of water, causing it to rise, a wooden crate mysteriously appears, sli-
ding back and forth across the deck as the ship rocks to and fro. This crate is
not visible on or in the ship while it is sunken, so where does it come from? A
skull-and-crossbones logo (or a "jolly roger") appears on it, so perhaps it's a
symbolic talisman of Jolly Roger Bay. Interestingly enough, the crate harms you
if you touch it, and it cannot be destroyed or affected in any way. It seems to
exist as a constant hazard, one whose origins will forever remain a mystery.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Do they also think there's a Medium-Medium Island because of the normal-sized painting in Tiny-Huge Island's room?
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1281671046102482944

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Motherfucker. Welp, off to become a Medium-Medium Island truther.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cleretic posted:

Motherfucker. Welp, off to become a Medium-Medium Island truther.

It will forever remain a mystery. :ohdear:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The only entertaining part of the new wave of fake SM64 stuff is seeing how badly overdone the VHS and CRT effects are. It's like Kung Fury levels of people who are too young to have lived through an era creating what they think it looked like based off of an echo chamber of parodies.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It's too much compared to how it would "really" be, I kinda like it as an aesthetic. Plus I can see how the creator might think adding all the helps hide the fact it's fake.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Is the idea that we're watching someone's hand cam footage off of a TV that's playing an old VHS tape? Seems like a bit of overkill just to hide your footage. Also agreed that it's a bit too over the top. It's more giggle-inducing than creepy. Was waiting for Mario to turn around and have blood and photo-realistic skeletons of my family shooting out of his eyes.

Edit: Oh he has a version with just the direct video, although it still has its own wobbly artifacts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnHfDwIswRE

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Wonder what the hex codes or whatever at the end are for.

7A 78 65 66 69 72 65 74
76 7A 6A 73 63 7A 6A 6A

Probably nothing.

Edit: Thanks, Akumu!

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 14, 2020

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

XkyRauh posted:

Wonder what the hex codes or whatever at the end are for.

7A 78 65 66 69 72 65 74
76 7A 6A 73 63 7A 6A 6A

Probably nothing.

It's a Caesar shift of "ignorance is bliss"

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

It would be a lot better without the TURN AWAY AAA SCARY messages. Just remove those and the spooky face and suddenly it's an eerie exploration of an unknown part of the game, very compelling.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gloomy Rube posted:

It would be a lot better without the TURN AWAY AAA SCARY messages. Just remove those and the spooky face and suddenly it's an eerie exploration of an unknown part of the game, very compelling.

it made me laugh when the hosed up Toad's text slid down in sheets like Giygas going "LEAVELEAVELEAVELEAVE" and then Mario just impatiently rushed off to the next room in his fun lil Mario scamper

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mario is too wholesome for any creepy pasta to ever work, I feel.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

insane mario nerd posted:

The Marioverse has always had its fair share of currency. The pecuniary side of
Mario's universe has its roots with Super Mario Bros. Since then, coins of many
shapes, sizes, colors and values have appeared in many of Mario's games. To say
that coins are important in Super Mario 64 specifically would be an understate-
ment. Fifteen of the 120 Power Stars in the game are earned by amassing a total
of 100 coins in each of the primary levels. That means the coins of Super Mario
64 are responsible for 12.5%, or one-eighth, of all the Power Stars. There is a
large following of fans who strive to obtain every coin in each level. It is an
astonishing realization, then, that two coins in Super Mario 64 went undetected
until early 2002, more than five years after the game's release. I hold the ho-
nor of having discovered these two coins, and as a result, I like to think that
I have etched my name into the annals of Super Mario 64. I am also proud of the
fact that by uncovering these coins, I stumbled upon another mystery: why would
the developers include two coins that are indiscernible?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
etched my name into the anals of Super Mario 64

edit: my new album will be called Blast Processed Asses

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

*screenshots a texture overlap in a goomba's death animation*

Finally, my legacy is secured

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where our game starring Goombas, nintendo

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Randaconda posted:

Where our game starring Goombas, nintendo

the mobile dr. mario game introduced Dr. Goomba Tower, who is literally three goombas in a labcoat and it's a much funnier idea than a mobile game deserves

put em in, Nintendo, my boys are ready for the big time

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Rewatching that Mario 64 Iceberg video, I'm glad I'm not the only one who always felt uneasy when in Wet-Dry World. That Skybox always freaked me out.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Wet Dry World is actually R'lyeh

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I think with WDW it's a combination of several things - it has a drab and eerily empty setting, it is more complex than levels leading up to it what with all the water manipulation so it was harder as a child and those memories carry into adulthood, and it's just kind of at a point where you are naturally feeling exhausted if you're playing straight through. A combination of those things tells your brain that it's time to step away from a while.

The exact same thing happens with the Beast Makers world in Spyro the Dragon, at least that's how it is for me.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I think a lot of early 3D games had a sort of environmental uncanny valley effect going on. The 3D and textures were pretty limited, so you got things that could look enough like something to remind you of it, but were still far off enough from reality to look wrong, and that overlap does weird things to your brain. Simple things like green hills or snowy landscapes weren't too bad, our brains are fine with a grassy field being a big green polygon with some vague textures on it. Or more abstract levels like the bowser worlds that were just a bunch of shapes that don't really remind you of anything are sort of OK. But something like WDW looked enough like a city in some places to remind you of one, but not nearly close enough to feel right. And for what did look kind of like a city, there were no people around, which is naturally a bit unsettling on its own. (Where's my Mario Odyssey creepy manipulations where New Donk City is abandoned and signs say GET OUT?)

I got a bit of the same feeling from Action Half Life, and I don't just mean the maps that leaned into it like Hondo's. Just the regular ones running around an office or a mansion or city block or whatever were still a bit unusual. And going further back to the ancient days of Action Quake 2, it was strong in the uncanny feeling. Chunks of city in the Q2 engine that were mostly just a lot of square boxes, sometimes with an office or two cut out of them, and a classic big blurry city skybox in the distance. When you took a step back from the constant fragging, it was pretty weird.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
One Mario64 thing that always kinda freaked me out when I was younger that I haven't seen covered is the fish in the moat outside the castle. If you stand where the unlockable cannon is, but face away from the castle, jump into the water and swim to the opposite bank. Hop out of the water and run up the slope to push against the invisible clipping pane at the end of the moat, then go into the C^ "over Mario's shoulder" lookaround mode, and look straight down, over the edge of the brown dirt to the little corner of water below. The fish from the moat are circling Mario's location pretty aggressively, making figure eights and seeming to be more agitated than when Mario is in the moat normally.

I think part of what makes Wet Dry World so bizarre and unsettling is that you have to go outside the typical square bounding box of the level. Most other levels are pretty obviously contained within a giant cube/square area. Lethal Lava Land has the immense square of lava; Snowman's Land, Tiny Huge Island, and Shifting Sand Land are clearly square-ish areas. But then with Wet Dry World, you shoot yourself into the very corner of one of those square areas, and then leave it behind. Suddenly you're diving lower than the introduced bounds of the level--and then there's a little city out there! It messes with your expectations of what's in bounds and out of bounds.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Randaconda posted:

Mario is too wholesome for any creepy pasta to ever work, I feel.

You could not be more wrong.

You can't run from the funk and 'Why-a you-a no-a stop-a playing-a my-a game-a' cause me a to belly laugh every single time I read it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain_Indigo posted:

You could not be more wrong.

You can't run from the funk and 'Why-a you-a no-a stop-a playing-a my-a game-a' cause me a to belly laugh every single time I read it.

I forgot about that :saddowns:

"Also, blast processing" always makes me laugh

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I never liked Wet Dry World because you have to rely on enemies to fling you to higher parts of the level. Do it wrong, and you miss the ledge and get damage. I remember them being finicky too to get them in just the right position or you're going to get the angle wrong or be too far from the ledge. They took so long to line up and I got a bit of anxiety waiting for them to get to me and fling me, and seeing if I made the ledge or not.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

IUG posted:

I never liked Wet Dry World because you have to rely on enemies to fling you to higher parts of the level. Do it wrong, and you miss the ledge and get damage. I remember them being finicky too to get them in just the right position or you're going to get the angle wrong or be too far from the ledge. They took so long to line up and I got a bit of anxiety waiting for them to get to me and fling me, and seeing if I made the ledge or not.

Been playing Mario 64 again due to these videos and yeah, gently caress these dudes.

I don't find the music in WDW melancholy though, it's just a chill tune.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The music gets pretty creepy when you visit the sunken town though.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Honestly haven't gotten back to that part yet, I'll keep an ear out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If two Samuses agree how can I refuse?

you should stop letting video game characters influence your decisions