Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

is he any less annoying in this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I'm glad there's more, it's not the best but it's content with a lot of effort put into it and it avoids most of the worst cliches of the genre. Gonna watch it after work.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Do we have a comprehensive list in thread yet of retro-y creepy pasta YouTubes that don't suck a lot? Or do people just wanna dump their favorites? I am feeling the itch and want to spoop myself :v:

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Quidthulhu posted:

Do we have a comprehensive list in thread yet of retro-y creepy pasta YouTubes that don't suck a lot? Or do people just wanna dump their favorites? I am feeling the itch and want to spoop myself :v:

I just got done watching the Crow 64 video on Nightmind. That one, though full of cliches, is super well done

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
Nexpo just did a video on Drowned God, which is probably the closest video games have ever come to a true-to-life creepypasta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU4MgeOb-cc

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

SkeletonHero posted:

Nexpo just did a video on Drowned God, which is probably the closest video games have ever come to a true-to-life creepypasta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU4MgeOb-cc

It was a bit meh - the game sounds interesting, but there is no connection between the game and the creator's descent and eventual murder-suicide. Just sounds like a guy with anger management issues who couldn't handle his wife wasting into nothing due to disease, oh and also he made this weird game once.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I watched (well, listened to) that whole thing having not read the post about it closely enough and spent the whole time thinking "Man, this ARG's writing is bad."

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Puppy Time posted:

I watched (well, listened to) that whole thing having not read the post about it closely enough and spent the whole time thinking "Man, this ARG's writing is bad."

Yeah the voice of the narrator was so uninteresting I turned it off after about twenty minutes.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Duderclese posted:

Yeah the voice of the narrator was so uninteresting I turned it off after about twenty minutes.

Nexpo definitely thinks he sounds cooler...

[dramatic pause that goes on just a little too long]

...than he actually is. At least Inside A Mind and Night Mind know how to emote.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've watched nexpo for a while, and he's one of those people with a narration that got worse over time as he leaned into it more. But at least he hasn't gone as far as the one that used to cover similar topics, but turns all their videos in hotline miami larps now.

Hrist fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 22, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Scratch-O posted:

Nexpo definitely thinks he sounds cooler...

[dramatic pause that goes on just a little too long]

...than he actually is. At least Inside A Mind and Night Mind know how to emote.

Night mind leaned way, way too hard into that breathy speaking style that I couldn't deal with it anymore

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Binged a bunch of nexpo videos since it seemed interesting initially and I think I'm done, five minutes of content crammed into a half-hour

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Oh thank God other people notice it too. I thought I was alone in... Hating... The pause.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

What is it with all these horror dudes and having obnoxiously stilted delivery? It's almost as bad as the reddity whilst dialect.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Puppy Time posted:

What is it with all these horror dudes and having obnoxiously stilted delivery? It's almost as bad as the reddity whilst dialect.

I'm pretty sure most of them were inspired by Night Mind. It's a big ol' circle of copycats. Or should I say...

cat-copies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Barely Sociable is the only one I can really stand anymore, it helps that he's one of the only who will actually do real research such as I don't know calling a drat "Haunted" hotel and see what's up instead of creating elaborate internet speculation based on nothing

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Scratch-O posted:

I'm pretty sure most of them were inspired by Night Mind. It's a big ol' circle of copycats. Or should I say...

cat-copies.

:golfclap:

It's annoying because Night Mind's success was because there isn't a lot of decent horror analysis content, so you could easily just swipe the content idea and do well if you have any ability to analyze things, but apparently we have to copy things wholesale here like we're lovely movie studios or something.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Night Mind is also kind of a creep, to my knowledge? Or at least strongly ignorant of social cues. And he inserted himself into the Jack Torrence ARG which is lame as poo poo. And yeah, all of the people who've popped up since, barring Barely Sociable, insist on this horrific super-stilted delivery.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Night Mind was super weird with May from Nyxfears when they hung out, but it seems like the hatchet has been buried there. I checked out on his videos when he did his big, masturbatory House of Leaves thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You know I'll also shout out whang as not being awful. Dude is super surface level. I found this thing on reddit or /x/ or whatever but he's got enthusiasm and isn't boring to watch, and gives you enough you can dice deep on your own

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gaius Marius posted:

You know I'll also shout out whang as not being awful. Dude is super surface level. I found this thing on reddit or /x/ or whatever but he's got enthusiasm and isn't boring to watch, and gives you enough you can dice deep on your own

I don't wanna do a deep dive on messy tails

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Bogart posted:

Night Mind is also kind of a creep, to my knowledge? Or at least strongly ignorant of social cues. And he inserted himself into the Jack Torrence ARG which is lame as poo poo. And yeah, all of the people who've popped up since, barring Barely Sociable, insist on this horrific super-stilted delivery.

I'd been on the fence with him for a while re: how self-aggrandizing he is, but the Jack Torrence thing finally made me unsubscribe. He had a quote that was something close to, "And now I, Nick Nocturne, Night Mind, will personally go solve this mystery myself, watch out, because I'm coming for you." Like, dude, you make creepy YouTube videos. This isn't God Himself descending from Heaven, you're just here to gently caress up somebody else's thing after spending years talking about how people shouldn't intentionally gently caress up other creators' things.

I don't know if he's gotten better since then, but the point at which every video has a three minute section where you talk about How loving Cool You Are, I'm out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Whang doesn't really do creepy stuff, just weird poo poo. He's more like internet historian or the right opinion than he is night Mind.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Whang should do more videos about angelfire flamewars

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think there's a bit of a cross over. With whang. Stuff like the anime with the girls killing each other in the bathroom wouldn't be out of place on a channel like nexpo or night mind

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I think there's a bit of a cross over. With whang. Stuff like the anime with the girls killing each other in the bathroom wouldn't be out of place on a channel like nexpo or night mind

I think to me the difference is tone and framing. Night mind would try to be spooky and poo poo while Justin is just like "here's a weird fuckin thing that's crazy right?"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i say without irony i would totally watch a series of creepy internet videos done ala thorhighheels's bored-but-secretly-fascinated tone and cadence and sound design

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I got a weird postcard in the mail today that I'm assuming is video game marketing. There a thread about these here: https://www.reddit.com/r/aliens/com...utm_name=iossmf

Anyone else get one? The phone number takes you to a static message. I don't have a spectrograph so I can't run it through that. My card also had black light...tally marks, I guess, next to the phone number. I can post pics of them or what they are. Anyone have any ideas?

E: pictures of mine: https://imgur.com/a/J5WbxSR/

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I’ll put down even bets on Halo, Mass Effect, or Avatar 2 (and 3, 4, and 5, of course).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's from California, but I'm signed up for pretty much every video game, movie, and TV service so I've got nothing to narrow it down. I was thinking maybe Starfield?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
starfield hates mondays

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I watched Barely Sociable videos for a little while but then in one video he mispronounced a word so badly that I could never take him seriously again and haven't watched a video since. I can't remember what the word was though. anyway his videos were pretty good

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

I appreciate all of these youtube channel namedrops. Thorhighheels especially, he has some great coverage of janky early-2000s games.

romanowski posted:

I watched Barely Sociable videos for a little while but then in one video he mispronounced a word so badly that I could never take him seriously again and haven't watched a video since. I can't remember what the word was though. anyway his videos were pretty good

I just heard him cap off a ponderous introduction to the concept of online dating by pronouncing epitome as "eppy-tome." That would do it. He also doesn't know what "micromanage" means.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Vince MechMahon posted:

So I got a weird postcard in the mail today that I'm assuming is video game marketing. There a thread about these here: https://www.reddit.com/r/aliens/com...utm_name=iossmf

Anyone else get one? The phone number takes you to a static message. I don't have a spectrograph so I can't run it through that. My card also had black light...tally marks, I guess, next to the phone number. I can post pics of them or what they are. Anyone have any ideas?

E: pictures of mine: https://imgur.com/a/J5WbxSR/

Oh okay good I’m not the only one who got one of these weird things. I have to assume it’s a Starfield ARG or something, but the first result on Google took me to a Coldplay subreddit so who the gently caress knows!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Tungsten posted:

He also doesn't know what "micromanage" means.

... What does he think it means?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Vavrek posted:

... What does he think it means?

It's unclear. He said "our lives can be quite micromanaged with our phones in this day and age" - in context, he's not using passive voice to imply that outside forces are managing us through our phones, but saying that our phones are tools enabling an autonomy which is somehow finer-grained than previous autonomies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tungsten posted:

It's unclear. He said "our lives can be quite micromanaged with our phones in this day and age" - in context, he's not using passive voice to imply that outside forces are managing us through our phones, but saying that our phones are tools enabling an autonomy which is somehow finer-grained than previous autonomies.

He used to be a soundcloud rapper, the fact that he can string an entire sentence together is a miracle in itself

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Tungsten posted:

I just heard him cap off a ponderous introduction to the concept of online dating by pronouncing epitome as "eppy-tome." That would do it. He also doesn't know what "micromanage" means.

lmao that was exactly it. that also reminds me of some other youtube video I was watching about the Mt. Chiliad mystery in GTAV where the narrator would read the word "paradigm" in some text and pronounce it as "para-DIG-em" and he thought it was an alien/lore word that Rockstar made up and never explained. this happened multiple times throughout the video

there's a lot of bad narration on youtube is what I guess I'm saying

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

romanowski posted:

that also reminds me of some other youtube video I was watching about the Mt. Chiliad mystery in GTAV where the narrator would read the word "paradigm" in some text and pronounce it as "para-DIG-em"

I've been taught the mindset of not shaming people for mispronouncing a word they've only ever read, because at least they're reading, but also lmao jesus christ

I also think if you're making an audiovisual presentation with the intention of it being viewed by potentially thousands of people, you're obliged to perform a little editorial oversight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've been taught the mindset of not shaming people for mispronouncing a word they've only ever read, because at least they're reading, but also lmao jesus christ

I also think if you're making an audiovisual presentation with the intention of it being viewed by potentially thousands of people, you're obliged to perform a little editorial oversight

I dunno, I mean, I guess you could have someone watch the finished thing before you submit it, and then go back and fix bits they point out, but, by its very nature, you'd never think to question your pronunciation.