Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

MattTheDoctor posted:

My god, I am stunned this thread is still going all these years later and still has the same fantastic title.

That's because it's still the best!!!

And thank you for the cool post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Bogart posted:

That's because it's still the best!!!

And thank you for the cool post.

Not a problem! And thanks everyone, glad you all enjoyed the post.

As an addendum to it, I realized I forgot to mention the significance of the PaRappa The Rapper costume in the Seaside video. It also counts as a weird rumor that eventually was proven true. Basically, back when LBP was being concepted and pitched to Sony they included a set of potential costumes you could dress your Sackboy in as concepts, one of them being PaRappa. Now, plenty of costumes for Sackboy were released, but never PaRappa...except for in PlayStation All Stars Battle Royal of all things, where Sackboy had a PaRappa costume in that game. This is notable because all of Sackby's other costumes are taken straight from LBP. So the prevailing rumor was that because they had the rights to PaRappa in that game they were able to use the old unused costume files for PSABR, and when the beta build was found so was the old PaRappa costume. Wild.

Furthermore, there was evidence that there was a scrapped level kit for Final Fantasy 7, similar to how Metal Gear Solid got a level kit. The FF7 level kit would've been Midgar themed, and it's another until-then totally unknown piece of content found in a beta build. It's unfinished as there is no ambient noise, just the noise that plays on a blank stage in Create mode. It's funny, until they change the fog to green this whole thing doesn't exactly scream Midgar to me, but I suppose it would've been better when finished and with an actual set of levels built on top of it. It's wild how many LBP rumors and secrets are coming out just in the past year and a bit. This was previously only seen in concept art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yrvDsSAK5Y

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Rise and shine, thread! We've got some Content here! Video's about someone's search for a strange, dark, half-remembered indie game about a kidnapped princess in a tower.

The video itself is pretty light on actual disturbing content, though there are a few mentions of the frankly twisted subject matter. Gonna give some content warnings for mentions of rape and suicide, albeit censored ones, just from the Reddit posts looking for the game being quoted. However, I'd definitely caution looking into the game itself, because it sure is a disturbing one.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 18, 2021

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
That was fun, I was half expecting a Whang video a la "the evil farming game" but no, here's a game that was actually real and was just on the edge of being lost media. The fact it was "taken off" the app store for one reason or another reminded me a little of PT or Flappy Bird

It's a bit melodramatic with fresh eyes but I can definitely imagine it being mildly traumatizing to a kid just innocently downloading what looks like is going to be another basic "knight rescues princess from tower" mobile game

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I really appreciate that this video didn't try to overdramatize the search, the game or it's content - it's a very disturbing take on the subject matter, but it very much feels like an overblown Newgrounds-tier Art Game™ albeit higher budget and at least one with interesting intentions. Can definitely see someone being freaked out by it and I appreciated the comparisons to The Path (though I was thinking The Graveyard). Fun watch.

It's crazy how many games are just barely remembered and could potentially be lost were it not for the vague memories of one or two people. I hope it gets found because while I'm sure the "good" ending is also pretentious or bleh it'll be nice for it to be archived.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MattTheDoctor posted:

I hope it gets found because while I'm sure the "good" ending is also pretentious or bleh it'll be nice for it to be archived.

Someone in the comments mentions that the good ending wasn't actually paywalled, just pretending to be; if you actually pressed the button it let you through, because it just wanted to see if you really cared about her.

Someone else replied to that with an actual description of the good ending. According to them the 'good ending' has the knight actually bust in to rescue the princess, but because of the tonal shift and weirdly anticlimactic fight, it's speculated that it might've been the princess' fantasy rather than the truth.

Still, at least the 'fake microtransaction' confirms that if someone does stumble on the app on an old device, the good ending's still possible.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 20, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh, I had that game!

I uninstalled it after day one because it was boring and annoying

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

MattTheDoctor posted:

I really appreciate that this video didn't try to overdramatize the search, the game or it's content - it's a very disturbing take on the subject matter, but it very much feels like an overblown Newgrounds-tier Art Game™ albeit higher budget and at least one with interesting intentions. Can definitely see someone being freaked out by it and I appreciated the comparisons to The Path (though I was thinking The Graveyard). Fun watch.

It's crazy how many games are just barely remembered and could potentially be lost were it not for the vague memories of one or two people. I hope it gets found because while I'm sure the "good" ending is also pretentious or bleh it'll be nice for it to be archived.

Izzy also has a video about The Path and The Graveyard and the company that made them, it's pretty good. Also an hour long.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
:yeah: her video on The Path is great, was a fun watch for me since I only barely remembered the premise, would definitely recommend

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

R.L. Stine posted:

Izzy also has a video about The Path and The Graveyard and the company that made them, it's pretty good. Also an hour long.

You know, I was wondering where they went in the industry. I didn't expect the answer to be them going off on twitter after their commercial failure.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

R.L. Stine posted:

Thank you for this! I had completely forgotten about this game, I definitely bought and played...most of it back in 2009, but the implied sexual violence made me feel so uncomfortable that I dropped it. Glad to see someone do a critical read of everything that I saw and everything that I missed.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

In conjunction with that I was also watching some videos by whang on the evil farming game, a game which allegedly is like harvest moon but the first act involves you killing and burying your wife and the rest of the game involves a bunch of plate spinning where you tend to your dying farm while avoiding the police from finding out your crime (spoilers : it doesn't exist and is the op misremembering a vinesauce stream commentary for a game)

The most interesting part though was about this game which I remember playing briefly back in the day and then forgetting all about it, and it actually had a pretty bad follow up where the developer 's sever was being attacked by some anonymous person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ8xSrWwRpk

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

https://twitter.com/bad2sentence/status/1474469936734949378?t=nZnVn4RwempnuAdrO77Brw&s=19

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Poor CJ being stuck in the Definitive Edition is a lot more scary.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

"Hey stop controlling me with that controller"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

All you had to do was follow the drat train player

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Also I love the usage of the word "notice", instead of "saw" or "witnessed", etc.

Like the narrator has just been made aware of CJ waving at him through the TV screen and talking to him. My god he's been doing it the entire time!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

In conjunction with that I was also watching some videos by whang on the evil farming game, a game which allegedly is like harvest moon but the first act involves you killing and burying your wife and the rest of the game involves a bunch of plate spinning where you tend to your dying farm while avoiding the police from finding out your crime (spoilers : it doesn't exist and is the op misremembering a vinesauce stream commentary for a game)

The most interesting part though was about this game which I remember playing briefly back in the day and then forgetting all about it, and it actually had a pretty bad follow up where the developer 's sever was being attacked by some anonymous person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ8xSrWwRpk

That game was kinda neat when the previous player was someone taking it somewhat seriously and not saying "dick fart poop rear end" for every question.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
This thread is 12 years old and going strong.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

And that image is still inexplicably funny.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

HonorableTB posted:

I dont know if I have it in me to sift through a decade+ old thread, what in the world does this mean because it's piqued my interest

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

pretty soft girl posted:

I dont know if I have it in me to sift through a decade+ old thread, what in the world does this mean because it's piqued my interest

it's from "NES Godzilla Creepypasta" which has extremely goofy creepypasta writing along with some legit neat sprite art

(there is no further context for the image)

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

dmboogie posted:

it's from "NES Godzilla Creepypasta" which has extremely goofy creepypasta writing along with some legit neat sprite art

(there is no further context for the image)

Readings through this thread from the start, years ago, was great. I kept wondering what the title was a reference to, looking forward to seeing it in context.

And then I get to the NES Godzilla Creepypasta. And it's great! And there is no explanation whatsoever.

Still The Best

It's perfect.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I think what I love about it is that in a world of HYPERREALISTIC SKELETONS, a random image of a monster subtitled with inexplicable nonsense is just spot on accurate for what you’d see in NES games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Blue Moonlight posted:

I think what I love about it is that in a world of HYPERREALISTIC SKELETONS, a random image of a monster subtitled with inexplicable nonsense is just spot on accurate for what you’d see in NES games.

It probably made sense in the original Japanese but the haunted game only gave the ghost translator 2 hours and no context to translate

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blue Moonlight posted:

A lot of creepypastas falter because they don't understand the medium they're working within. A whole lot of text stories that try to recreate a scary scene that only works in a visual medium they aren't in.

While they may not have used it well at times, the NES Godzilla creepypasta definitely knew the medium.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I remember it doing pretty well until it goes into the game being haunted by a dead girlfriend, or was I thinking of another creepy pasta? It does have some really good sprite work

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The problem with most creepypastas is that they always go on way longer than they should, ending with some cliche like "...and then everyone who saw the cursed video game screen ripped their eyes out" instead of just letting things be eery and unanswered.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

A lot of creepypastas falter because they don't understand the medium they're working within. A whole lot of text stories that try to recreate a scary scene that only works in a visual medium they aren't in.

While they may not have used it well at times, the NES Godzilla creepypasta definitely knew the medium.

exquisite tea posted:

The problem with most creepypastas is that they always go on way longer than they should, ending with some cliche like "...and then everyone who saw the cursed video game screen ripped their eyes out" instead of just letting things be eery and unanswered.

For sure. Years ago, I wrote the story about the bizarre Fallout 2 Auger Quest, and one of the things I didn't realize was going to be so challenging was walking that tightrope between saying enough and saying too much. It's supposed to be creepy/unsettling, but people still often want all of the answers even if it spoils things. It's kind of like immediately wanting the solution to a magic trick.

EDIT: In that same vein, for the first time in 4 or 5 years I just searched "Fallout 2 Auger Quest" to see what popped up, and I'm surprised to see that it's still making its rounds on various websites. I hate googling it for some reason. Like, I want to see what people say...but I also don't want to know what they've said, because then I feel compelled to jump in and say something or answer something even though I never do. As usual, the comments run the gamut from "this is great, one of my favorites!" to literally "the font is close but not exactly right, obvious fake--gently caress this guy".

As with spooky creepypasta, I wanted the answers and it ruined the mystique.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 12, 2022

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's an excellent piece, so let it lie and have some pride in it. It scratches an incredibly specific itch with it being short, simple, and plausible, with no answer to it. gently caress answers. I'm tired of the lore-addicted internet wanting answers for everything. Let there be mystery without answer that keeps them awake at night for years to come.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I still check out to see if people have said anything new about training.bsp every so often. A few months back I had to kill all comments on the blog after an anonymous poster got terfy over a bit where the writer mentions that a character had found some new pronouns since they last posted.

Like, in retrospect it's a pretty hamfisted attempt at being inclusive and I'd probably have done it better now, but jesus christ, all the places to wage the next battle in their lovely little culture war and they picked a dead creepypasta blog about a fictitious half-life map.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vavrek posted:

Readings through this thread from the start, years ago, was great. I kept wondering what the title was a reference to, looking forward to seeing it in context.

And then I get to the NES Godzilla Creepypasta. And it's great! And there is no explanation whatsoever.

Still The Best

It's perfect.

If I had to guess, that's the year Gozilla vs Megalon was released (of MST3000 fame). Maybe it was a favorite of the author?

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

That was the problem I had with Petscop. The highlight of the early videos was the extremely low-key narrator having a "well, this is weird" reaction to the creepy elements "hidden" in the game and the sort of meta-narrative of him dutifully going through it all. Then the later episodes got all in on the "lore" and tried to create some meta-drama by having some "UNDER ADVICE OF OUR LAWYERS" post about some dispute between the narrator and the uploader and dropped the character entirely, and it was altogether not a great creative choice.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Petscop hosed up pretty early on by dropping in the Candace Newmaker and Rebirthing stuff, and then backpedaling when it was either figured out way too quickly, or when they realized it was distasteful to use an actual dead eleven year old in their story. All the plot elements after that felt like an attempt to recover their story by taking it in a direction they didn't intend for, and the dumb meta stuff all fell into that.

Ultimately I feel like they lost all the stuff that made it interesting in the beginning and ended up with a jumbled mess instead. All the interpretations I've read usually include a caveat that there's parts of it that don't make sense to fit into their theory, or that contradict it, and it feels less like the good kind of 'not everything gets explained' and more of 'they were winging it after they got found out and nothing ties together any more'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

petscop was better when it seemed like it was a creepypasta game designed to freak one specific person out, and the wrong person was playing it.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also beyond all that, Petscop's ultimate fuckup was its author revealing himself. The unknowability of its puppetmaster had been a big part of the appeal.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I generally hate "I want the audience to decide for themselves" stuff but it really doesn't work when the audience doesn't even know the limits of reality (were they IN the game? Or in a physical school that was also represented in the game? Parallel universes? Time travel?)

It also didn't help that some stuff in Petscop was just inside jokes and references to the forum he posted on 15 years ago and weren't clues or anything.

I remember him tweeting that there was going to be a real website as seen on the computer in the video, but it gave too much away so he scrapped it, which sucks. Great tunes though.

Edit:

Chev posted:

Also beyond all that, Petscop's ultimate fuckup was its author revealing himself. The unknowability of its puppetmaster had been a big part of the appeal.
IIRC, he didn't plan on revealing himself, somebody just happened to find a Let's Play of one of his previous games on this very forum and it had assets that were used in Petscop

Friend fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Petscop hosed up pretty early on by dropping in the Candace Newmaker and Rebirthing stuff, and then backpedaling when it was either figured out way too quickly, or when they realized it was distasteful to use an actual dead eleven year old in their story. All the plot elements after that felt like an attempt to recover their story by taking it in a direction they didn't intend for, and the dumb meta stuff all fell into that.

Was the stuff in-game actually meant as a reference to that? I always felt like the people saying that the game was referencing her were making some pretty large leaps of logic to get to Candace Newmakers unfortunate situation.