Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

but can the ps1 memory card save inputs from the future and play them back in the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Seshoho Cian posted:

but can the ps1 memory card save inputs from the future and play them back in the past

I think so. It deleted my 100% save of Deathtrap Dungeon before I finished the first level because future-me knew how terrible the game was.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So I'm further in but not caught up completely.

The day I see it there's too says this can go:
1) the entire game was programmed and "meant for someone". Programmer on dev team had some issues, made his own part of the game, it got into the hands on of a previous recipient. The mystery is then who was this programmer and who did he mean to give it to, and how exactly Paul got the game.
In this case the newmaker case is an influence in the ideas of the traumas explored in the game that it wears on its sleeve but it's not directly about that.
This is supported by the nature of that "girl with no eyebrows" text, or the description of that bird that seems to indicate this is the case and Mike is another guy on the dev team.
2) the responses aren't preprogrammed. Parts of the game are making me suspect that it's not haunted but more advanced somehow than a psx game is supposed to be, perhaps reprogramming its own data... Or it's online somehow and Paul is interacting with another player somehow, who is changing the game like a game called "sleep is death". The conversation with the tool in particular is making me wonder if that's the case. In this case the newmaker cases date is a hint that the software is learning from the web or something.
How this would work irl with a CD or a normal psx that can't go online is questionable but it is a web series and how the world works is up to artistic license.
In this case the mystery is why it does that and if there's something bigger.

I think if it's 2 things would escalate to Godzilla or Ben drowned levels but who knows

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
PS1 save talk reminded me of: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DaveBaggett/20131031/203788/My_Hardest_Bug_Ever.php

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Actually Night Mind did a poo poo ton of really good analysis videos for stuff like Twin Peaks, Donnie Dario, Black Mirror, etc. but all that poo poo has been excised from YouTube so the only super good videos he still has up are on Alan Resnick properties.

Basically he hit his stride as a media critic who did long form videos about genre topics other people weren't posting good videos about. But now you don't even get demonetized your poo poo just disappears, no matter how old or how many views. So recently he had to stick with original content or other things on YouTube and the product has suffered.

If I ran a network like Fuze or MTV2 I'd pay this guy to produce 11min segments like The Soup for weirdos, just navel gazing the poo poo out of occult symbolism in super bowl performances and stuff.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I like his video content but I cannot stand his voice longer than one video at a time

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I quite like his voice but he has an odd Microsoft Sam inflection going on.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The mystery of Yeah Yeah Beebis I might have been solved. This was a game listed in two mail-order catalogs for NES games in 1989, and no one has even been sure if it was an alternate title for a real game or some odd misprint. People have noticed that even though the catalogs were American, the lists include some games only released in Japan, and recently someone suggested the mystery game was something called Rai Rai Baby Kyonshi. The Japanese rendering of "baby" is more like bebii, and it uses the ー character, which in the box art is just a horizontal line that could be mistaken for the character meaning one. So maybe whoever compiled these lists acquired some Japanese games, somehow translated the titles, and added them to the catalogs. It is a bit odd they could translate the titles but didn't seem to know that you can't play them on an American NES.

Here's a description of the game, which was actually for the Power Pad:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/579388-family-trainer-rai-rai-kyonshis-baby-kyonshi-no-amida/faqs/72904

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Boo Boo Bienis I

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hee ho?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Action Jacktion posted:

The mystery of Yeah Yeah Beebis I might have been solved. This was a game listed in two mail-order catalogs for NES games in 1989, and no one has even been sure if it was an alternate title for a real game or some odd misprint. People have noticed that even though the catalogs were American, the lists include some games only released in Japan, and recently someone suggested the mystery game was something called Rai Rai Baby Kyonshi. The Japanese rendering of "baby" is more like bebii, and it uses the ー character, which in the box art is just a horizontal line that could be mistaken for the character meaning one. So maybe whoever compiled these lists acquired some Japanese games, somehow translated the titles, and added them to the catalogs. It is a bit odd they could translate the titles but didn't seem to know that you can't play them on an American NES.

Here's a description of the game, which was actually for the Power Pad:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/579388-family-trainer-rai-rai-kyonshis-baby-kyonshi-no-amida/faqs/72904

Those kinds of stores/catalogs would also sell Famicom 60 pin to NES 72 pin adapters, so it's not too surprising they'd list an as-yet-Famicom-only title. If you really go through their old catalogs, they would have games listed usually several months before American release, which would have needed to be Japanese imports.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's actually an H-game called Yo-Yo Bepis, the title is pretty self-explanatory

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Crosspost from the Awesome/Awful Mods thread:

The Kins posted:

This isn't released yet, but here's an interesting upcoming Doom mod thaaaaaa-a-a--a--a-a--a----- <NO CARRIER>

quote:

The Author posted:
fÍle read lilith.pk3

index entry lilith.pk3 in index $I74 of file 637 is incorrect.

rebuilding lilith.pk3 for zdóom 2.8.1. processing

who am i

errors ƒound. cannot continue¿

Who wants to bet there's a sprite that looks like a red-haired girl in a white dress somewhere in there? :v:

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

Petscop 10 is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAM0bcJnijg

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

These censored endings are getting a bit lame.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Raxivace posted:

These censored endings are getting a bit lame.

I think this is the last one. He mentioned three instances the first time they appeared.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
this is getting pretty bad pretty fast. ditching the narration and all of the cuts and the whole thing just feels pointless by now

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Levitate posted:

this is getting pretty bad pretty fast. ditching the narration and all of the cuts and the whole thing just feels pointless by now

Agreed

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
There is narration, its really quiet. I watched the video thinking it was silent until I turned the volume way up. There's isn't a lot, but there's some.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

synthetik posted:

There is narration, its really quiet. I watched the video thinking it was silent until I turned the volume way up. There's isn't a lot, but there's some.

lol

the pacing is so weird. a bunch of big 'questions' are raised early on and then just...nothing, for five episodes

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
dont worry guys once the manga catches up itll pick back up again

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I am also jumping on the bandwagon that this episode was dumb.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Yeah I'm hoping this gets more interesting quick because it's losing steam fast

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
Earlier in the thread, somebody said they would be happy if Petscop just turned out to be a 'check out this weird poo poo I found' story that basically wraps up as 'well that was odd'.

Personally I'm going into the experience with this assumption, rather than expecting a broader storyline, so I'm still quite satisfied. It kind of feels like watching somebody stumble through Yume Nikki-- it's bizarre and a little unnerving without being overtly scary, things happen apparently at random and with little to no input from the player, there are some indications of symbolism and meaning but they don't necessarily seem directly related to any sort of narrative. Even the disjointed editing builds into this environment. While technically 'nothing is happening', I'm fine with that. I'm here to watch weird videos about a weird game and that's exactly what I'm getting.

(Hell, I'll actually be disappointed if some of the conjecture I see in the comments -- that the 'censoring' is because these things are very personal to Paul and he's somehow connected to all of this instead of just being some schmuck who stumbled upon a weird thing -- turns out to be true.)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

NonsenseWords posted:

(Hell, I'll actually be disappointed if some of the conjecture I see in the comments -- that the 'censoring' is because these things are very personal to Paul and he's somehow connected to all of this instead of just being some schmuck who stumbled upon a weird thing -- turns out to be true.)

Sorry, but after the line about "my mom doesn't remember" or whatever, I'm guessing the chances of this are exactly 0%.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's a personal project the dude puts out once every 9 days, I'm fine with whatever slow burn he sets until I see it end

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I showed my friend Petscop today so I'm rewatching all of it, and I can't believe I missed this in Petscop 9, and we also haven't discussed it in thread:

At the beginning of 9 after the demo, he's loving around on the staircase and halfway down it he walks out the right side of it.

He literally becomes the Shadow Monster Man.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Petscop/comments/6dal6z/the_note_with_the_game_happens_in_9/

EDIT: Was he a constantly a shadow in Petscop 9 before? I don't remember this at all from watching it last week!

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

Nope, this is the first time he's been a shadow I think.

So after video 10, some smart person on the subreddit figured out that the background skybox in Even Care matches whatever linked area it's related to in the Newmaker Plane. Pretty cool stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I noticed that too! In Petscop...7? When he goes through the door and back into the house for the first time, the "sign" attached to the (school?) door had the same symbol that was in the next room.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I wonder how he made this? It honestly does look like a PS1 game of some kind and I'm really interested how much of it is actually playable or if its all just scripted for the videos.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Probably Unity with a PS1 shader/NTSC artifact post effects. My guess if I were doing something like this would be to script these events, or just bind a whole bunch of keyboard keys to trigger specific things in these levels.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
My own guess is it's a playable unity game, reprogrammed each session.

Paul might not be the programmer, and maybe some of his reactions are genuine if he's just given a general script of what to do and try but not exactly what is going to happen

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Turns out the entire thing is viral marketing for the game after the final video.

"PAUL WASN'T ABLE TO SOLVE THE MYSTERIES OF PETSCOP. CAN YOU? nowavailableonsteamgreenlightjust$19.99forearlyaccesslikesubscribe"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

Turns out the entire thing is viral marketing for the game after the final video.

"PAUL WASN'T ABLE TO SOLVE THE MYSTERIES OF PETSCOP. CAN YOU? nowavailableonsteamgreenlightjust$19.99forearlyaccesslikesubscribe"

That's definitely something somebody's going to try at some point, but I really hope it isn't here.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Quidthulhu posted:

EDIT: Was he a constantly a shadow in Petscop 9 before? I don't remember this at all from watching it last week!

Yeah, he definitely was.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

it's gonna be difficult to assess the pacing until its done, I think

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Tombot posted:

I wonder how he made this? It honestly does look like a PS1 game of some kind and I'm really interested how much of it is actually playable or if its all just scripted for the videos.

The foreground looks very PS1 but the background image on the "game" portion is much higher resolution than anything the PS1 would allow and that broke my immersion immediately.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Tombot posted:

It's just a film, isn't it?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Peanut President posted:

It's just a film, isn't it?

idk seems like putting all of this on 35mm just to reconvert back to digital would be needlessly tedious

as a side note, I've rectified the situation with the landscaping staff, sir, and ensured that your suits for the L7 summit are pressed and bagged. Prime Minister Potato will be arriving in half an hour; I've prepared a samovar of coffee and crudités in the grand foyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

oops double