Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Stephen King of all people did a pretty good grounded techno-haunting despite (or maybe because of) being a Boomer with a very quaint and outdated view of technology. In Mr Mercedes the antagonist is a psychopathic Geek Squad tech who installs a backdoor on an old woman's computer and uses it to gaslight her as part of an ongoing campaign to drive her to suicide. One of the sequels is more videogame focused but also explicitly supernatural in that it's about one of the games on a failed line of tablet computers being a simple casual fish-tapping game that inadvertently puts people into a hypnotic state thanks to the combination of movement and colors and sound and how a series of coincidences leads to it being weaponized by a psychic to possess people.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. Everything from the characters being named after Greek gods to the Christian summer camp setting to the big secret true ending being "whoaaa what if the devil is actually the good guy and god is actually the bad guy?!?!" felt embarrassingly amateurish for a commercial product let alone one that got a minor amount of acclaim for superficially featuring LGBTQ characters back when that was still a novelty.

Those are Roman gods, and in any case I seem to recall they were named after Sailor Moon characters.

E: Also, from what people in the LP thread said it was very good at evoking the feeling of a Christian camp meant to deal with troublemakers of whatever sort, so it's not exactly a twist that God would be portrayed as an unjust authority figure.

Zandar fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
also the dev team is like all queer people

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I finally remembered one of the worst example of a creepy game story out there, with emphasis on the "not understanding how games or computers work":

"I never thought that one day I would throw my computer away. And not just throw it away. Throw it so hard into the dumpster, it shattered, sparked, and caused it to catch fire. Just thinking about it brings me anxiety. I trust right now my once very expensive, custom designed computer is sitting somewhere, destroyed in a landfill collecting trash scum. Good.

A few months back, I upgraded my system. I had just downloaded a new MMORPG game and I had to buy an entirely separate processor because I had modified my game so much (plus I have multiple games on my system). I’ll admit right here and now: I had done some dark things to get my computer to where it was then. Nothing evil or inhumane. Just illegal. Okay?

Normally having several games will slow your game system down dramatically but I wasn’t having that. I had spent all my hard earned money modifying my system so I could continue to rein power over all the n00bs and wanna-bes. I was king. I was to have the best system. Slow wasn’t an option. I named my system “Iquarus” because it was my favorite name. It was an older name, and it was ironic to have a modern system with an old name. It was always in my username too for my games. Granted I almost never got just “Iquarus” for my username so it was usually like “Iquarus32049812” or “IquarusKingOfLands” or something like that."

That's like right in the beginning of the story with the same name as the dumb computer in it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Something about the over-magnification of detail in most pastas just puts me right to sleep.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I've really liked the 999 doors series or whatever it's called. Crazy plot with a lot of surprising references in the story. I'm going to have to sit down and play zero time dilemma at some point.

What did you like most about 999, the interesting mystery slowly unfolding as you went or the unlikable characters smugly explaining game theory to each other? Because if it's the former you'll be pretty disappointed, but if it's the latter you will LOVE the later games and they will hopefully take away some of the pain of you not actually existing except as a theoretical ideal consumer in the imaginations of the Zero Escape game devs.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Bee posted:

Something about the over-magnification of detail in most pastas just puts me right to sleep.

They've been told that good writers describe things to set the scene, but they don't know why, or which things are important to describe, so it just turns into More Details = Bettar Writing

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

fishmech posted:

I finally remembered one of the worst example of a creepy game story out there, with emphasis on the "not understanding how games or computers work":

"I never thought that one day I would throw my computer away. And not just throw it away. Throw it so hard into the dumpster, it shattered, sparked, and caused it to catch fire. Just thinking about it brings me anxiety. I trust right now my once very expensive, custom designed computer is sitting somewhere, destroyed in a landfill collecting trash scum. Good.

A few months back, I upgraded my system. I had just downloaded a new MMORPG game and I had to buy an entirely separate processor because I had modified my game so much (plus I have multiple games on my system). I’ll admit right here and now: I had done some dark things to get my computer to where it was then. Nothing evil or inhumane. Just illegal. Okay?

Normally having several games will slow your game system down dramatically but I wasn’t having that. I had spent all my hard earned money modifying my system so I could continue to rein power over all the n00bs and wanna-bes. I was king. I was to have the best system. Slow wasn’t an option. I named my system “Iquarus” because it was my favorite name. It was an older name, and it was ironic to have a modern system with an old name. It was always in my username too for my games. Granted I almost never got just “Iquarus” for my username so it was usually like “Iquarus32049812” or “IquarusKingOfLands” or something like that."

That's like right in the beginning of the story with the same name as the dumb computer in it.

drat, modding an mmorpg is serious business

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Guy Mann posted:

Man, I couldn't disagree more. Everything from the characters being named after Greek gods to the Christian summer camp setting to the big secret true ending being "whoaaa what if the devil is actually the good guy and god is actually the bad guy?!?!" felt embarrassingly amateurish for a commercial product let alone one that got a minor amount of acclaim for superficially featuring LGBTQ characters back when that was still a novelty.
oh
sorry you didn't have a good time

the characters aren't "superficially" lgbtq, though, this game is queer as gently caress
the entire theme is that in systems that derive morality from norms, aberrance is regarded as transgression, and people with naturally divergent attributes (namely queer kids, like the protagonists of the game) internalize this treatment as negative self-image

I can understand being turned off by the good/evil subversion, but that was pretty much just window dressing. "the devil is actually the good guy", sure, but what is the devil, in the context of the story? it's not the pop culture notion of the christian devil. the game's devil is a vague, impersonal force that the characters are tasked with suppressing (that they're not even sure is going to show up, because it doesn't for most people) and, when it finally arrives, it's the force that draws out a nightmare manifestation of something that each character has been taught to fear and hate about themselves. in the three standard endings, the character who's been left alone the most often by the other two (read: the one of the three queer kids with the least social support) is literally and metaphorically consumed by an aberrant part of themselves that they've been taught to suppress. the character is forced to confront it alone, and when she can't contain it anymore, the other two essentially help drag her back into a status quo of unhealthy repression. it's the same across all three endings, and each of them has somber, melancholy overtones, because in truth nothing was resolved

the "big secret true ending" is not really a secret, so much as a logical consequence to not only the theme, but the gameplay: if the ending is determined by who was left behind the most, well, then, what happens when you make sure that nobody is left behind? the game practically begs for you to check it out.
so, yes, when nobody is forced to confront the thing that they're suppressing about themselves alone, when you make sure they all have each other's support, they discover together that they don't actually want or need to suppress "the devil"– what else was supposed to happen? the title of the game is We Know the Devil. they weren't trying to blow your mind with this information, they were confirming what you probably already suspected, as well as providing a positive coda to the theme:
in systems of justice that derive morality from norms, aberrance is regarded as transgression, and people with naturally divergent attributes internalize this treatment as negative self-image... and the way to come out of it okay is to stop hiding who they are, stop working with a system that's hurting them, and instead form a communal identity that provides them with much-needed social support that they wouldn't otherwise have had, and allows them to be themselves
basically the history of the lgbtq community over the last century in brief

I mean like I said I just thought it was O.K.

there's some problems with it
the smaller choices don't really feel like they're directly tied to the consequences at the end
there doesn't seem to be much to indicate that a character is being affected by their loneliness until it's already too late
also since the choice branches have different combinations of possible groupings, figuring out the path required to keep them in equilibrium is pretty arduous
and requiring four completions of the game to get all of the story is asking a lot. subtle details that become clearer with context are laced in to mitigate the effect, but it doesn't really save it from feeling repetitive

but I understand why the game received critical acclaim and it's not because of the "novelty" of "superficially" featuring lgbtq characters, it's genuinely thoughtful in its construction, wisely chooses to address a complex social subject by simply sympathizing with characters who are directly affected by it, and the narrative and interactivity are both carefully informed by its theme

it is ~,-'O.K.'-,~

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
:yeah:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was getting people to spend $8 on a bunch of uncolored sketches and blurry photographs when even they couldn't pretend the actual writing propping it up was more than OK.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
oh you're just stupid

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I used to live next door to a woman who legitimately thought her computer hated her. Every time she had some minor problem I’d try explaining how to fix it and she’d start muttering about how much it hated her.

One time I gave her some nice speakers and set them up for her and the volume was too loud so she ripped the wires out and was trying to watch movies with the computer tower speaker.

Maybe it whispered things to her when they were alone. Urging her to commit suicide. Or murder..

I thought that devil game was kinda hackneyed alternateen nonsense to be honest.

edit: to be fair I think just about ANYTHING inspired by/based on Christian mythology is, in 2019, hackneyed as gently caress. Find a new book to base 99% of your literature on, western civilization. I mean sheesh.

Be Depressive fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 16, 2019

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

somepartsareme posted:

oh you're just stupid

it's guy mann, what do you expect

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was getting people to spend $8 on a bunch of uncolored sketches and blurry photographs when even they couldn't pretend the actual writing propping it up was more than OK.

We've found him

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Be Depressive posted:

edit: to be fair I think just about ANYTHING inspired by/based on Christian mythology is, in 2019, hackneyed as gently caress. Find a new book to base 99% of your literature on, western civilization. I mean sheesh.

the_point_and_you_meme.png

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Guy Mann posted:

I don't know if spending $8 on a piece of entertainment you thought was ok constitutes a "trick", but typically you pay for games before you play them, anyway, so, bit of a moot point

in any case, kind of a weird way of saying "thank you, cubone, for the thoughtful reply. i now have a better understanding of what other people got out of the game, even though that wasn't my experience"

but since we're apparently just having whatever conversation we'd prefer to be having, you are welcome.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
The real greatest trick is 2 hour steam refunds.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

This is a good post, regardless of how disingenuously it was received by the person it was written for. Thank you.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Cubone posted:

the characters aren't "superficially" lgbtq, though, this game is queer as gently caress
the entire theme is that in systems that derive morality from norms, aberrance is regarded as transgression, and people with naturally divergent attributes (namely queer kids, like the protagonists of the game) internalize this treatment as negative self-image

I can understand being turned off by the good/evil subversion, but that was pretty much just window dressing. "the devil is actually the good guy", sure, but what is the devil, in the context of the story? it's not the pop culture notion of the christian devil. the game's devil is a vague, impersonal force that the characters are tasked with suppressing (that they're not even sure is going to show up, because it doesn't for most people) and, when it finally arrives, it's the force that draws out a nightmare manifestation of something that each character has been taught to fear and hate about themselves. in the three standard endings, the character who's been left alone the most often by the other two (read: the one of the three queer kids with the least social support) is literally and metaphorically consumed by an aberrant part of themselves that they've been taught to suppress. the character is forced to confront it alone, and when she can't contain it anymore, the other two essentially help drag her back into a status quo of unhealthy repression. it's the same across all three endings, and each of them has somber, melancholy overtones, because in truth nothing was resolved

the "big secret true ending" is not really a secret, so much as a logical consequence to not only the theme, but the gameplay: if the ending is determined by who was left behind the most, well, then, what happens when you make sure that nobody is left behind? the game practically begs for you to check it out.
so, yes, when nobody is forced to confront the thing that they're suppressing about themselves alone, when you make sure they all have each other's support, they discover together that they don't actually want or need to suppress "the devil"– what else was supposed to happen? the title of the game is We Know the Devil. they weren't trying to blow your mind with this information, they were confirming what you probably already suspected, as well as providing a positive coda to the theme:
in systems of justice that derive morality from norms, aberrance is regarded as transgression, and people with naturally divergent attributes internalize this treatment as negative self-image... and the way to come out of it okay is to stop hiding who they are, stop working with a system that's hurting them, and instead form a communal identity that provides them with much-needed social support that they wouldn't otherwise have had, and allows them to be themselves
basically the history of the lgbtq community over the last century in brief

but I understand why the game received critical acclaim and it's not because of the "novelty" of "superficially" featuring lgbtq characters, it's genuinely thoughtful in its construction, wisely chooses to address a complex social subject by simply sympathizing with characters who are directly affected by it, and the narrative and interactivity are both carefully informed by its theme

it is ~,-'O.K.'-,~

The cliff notes here doesn't even sound like a good story. It's almost the same as the Jungian story archetype of confronting the shadow (devil) and overcoming it that is present in most hero narratives. Except, instead of the protagonists growing and learning on a personal level, they lean on other people to do the work for them.
It sounds like its trying to rewrite identity politics into a hero narrative... which doesn't really work.

Even with good writing, I doubt this kind of story would be interesting to most people who don't ascribe to and internalize social identity theory.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

twig1919 posted:

The cliff notes here doesn't even sound like a good story. It's almost the same as the Jungian story archetype of confronting the shadow (devil) and overcoming it that is present in most hero narratives. Except, instead of the protagonists growing and learning on a personal level, they lean on other people to do the work for them.
It sounds like its trying to rewrite identity politics into a hero narrative... which doesn't really work.

Even with good writing, I doubt this kind of story would be interesting to most people who don't ascribe to and internalize social identity theory.
I wasn't writing "cliff notes", I was specifically posting a queer reading in response to somebody who specifically said that the lgbt content was superficial, with the understanding that we'd both played it.
probably not a great basis upon which to develop a critical reading of a game you haven't played

but if we were to take my post as a comprehensive critique, the most it could do for somebody who hasn't played it is give them a better idea of whether or not it would appeal to them, and, it sounds like I succeeded, so, you're welcome

good day

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

twig1919 posted:

Yikes my dude, thanks for revealing your blatant homophobia. Very cool dog whistles about “identity politics” and “social identity theory.”

Get hosed

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Why y’all gotta poo poo up this thread about hoaxes with slapping piss fights over this?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
We Know The Devil is good and this wacky “I cant understand why this could be good cause I hate queers” trolling is not.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Black August posted:

Why y’all gotta poo poo up this thread about hoaxes with slapping piss fights over this?

Because people who build their identity around the media they consume take any criticism of said media as a personal attack. Doubly so when they consume said media as a substitute for actually engaging with or contributing to a community or issue in any meaningful way.

There are so many legitimately experimental, beautiful, and interesting works of interactive fiction by and about LGBTQ culture on places like itch.io and Twine but they're not written at a middle school level and about a bunch of completely non-threatening anime girls being sad that Christians don't want them to hold hands so they'll never inspire this degree of totemic attachment from boring cishets who just want validation that they're good ethical consumers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the queerphobic bullshit being spewed in this thread is truly the creepiest video game of all

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

somepartsareme posted:

oh you're just stupid

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Take it to PMs

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Guy Mann are you queer or are you a straight person gong around telling people what queer fiction to like or not

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Blockhouse posted:

the queerphobic bullshit being spewed in this thread is truly the creepiest video game of all

You're basically one of those people accusing Boots Riley of being racist for criticizing Spike Lee, except We Know The Devil is more akin to a Green Book or The Blind Side than even the weakest or most problematic Lee movie.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Black August posted:

What I hate is when someone calls out bigoted behaviour or language and then someone else, you in this case, comes in and says, “ugh, both sides are bad!!! Shut Up!!!!”

No, one side is, and the conversation wouldn’t be happening if they weren’t being rude.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I don’t give a poo poo which side is right or wrong in this debate take the conversation to PMs and don’t drag it into a loving Games thread

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
seriously though, your intentionally stupid reading of the game reveals a level of contempt for the idea of an expression lgbt angst that doesnt conform to your apparent standards that makes me not give a poo poo what you think about it. it's fine that you don't like it (no one cares) but then you had to start attacking people for thinking it wasnt trash. your criticisms about it being "superficially lgbt" are nonsense. nobody said wktd was the best gay visual novel ever or anything but when people pushed back on your criticism suddenly you decided everybody was a bunch of cishets who were personally offended by your brave posts. i am A Queer btw so that won't work with me.

id be interested in the recs for what you consider to be the truly experimental, beautiful games on itch.io that the plebs won't understand though

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

ffs. gas

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
just ban guy mann from ever expressing an opinion and the forums will be better

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Please don’t. Apart from whatever’s happening now, I really like this thread. :ohdear:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

so uh... how about that Petscop

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I really like this thread too which is why I keep asking people who want to have a loud political debate about a very valid topic to kindly take it to PMs or D&D or a related topic thread in Games instead of doing it here

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Petscop, like love, is over

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I actually read recently on the NES Godzilla guy's Deviantart that he still has plans to finish that sequel. I have no idea if there's genuine plans he's been too busy to pursue or if he just says it to get commentators off of his back, but I ain't complaining about the possibility of more spritework and weird designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Godzilla makes me sad because it had all the colors of being a REALLY cool and creepy idea, but the execution just saw it fall really flat towards the end