Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

betterinsodapop posted:

I'm kind of surprised there are no urban myths relating to the Trilby games. Those games just seem to invite that sorta stuff.

It'd be hard to make up a believable myth about an indie game with a small playerbase, I'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Cmosfm posted:

I just discovered this thread, I've always been fascinated by this stuff...starting with the "Hidden Chocolate Factory" level in Super Mario Bros. that my local newspaper did a small story on when I was a child. I can't find a single instance of ANYONE ever hearing about this so it must have just been extremely local and everyone forgot about it.

Well, 53 pages to read today, thank god I'm snowed in!

I remember hearing about that. It was invented by a guy who wrote one of those "How to win at Nintendo games" books that were so popular in those days.

Basically, the info was really vague, it was more of less just a a "There's also a Secret Chocolate Factory, but I can't talk about it now" passage in how to win at Super Mario Bros.

It was nothing more than a hoax designed to get people to buy his book. He made it up completely (hence why no one else ever talked about it before). I think he always said He'd talk about it in Volume 2 or 3 or whichever, basically to get people buying.

Sorry i can't give you details about the rumor/hoax itself. I think I heard about it in King of Kong or Chasing Ghosts. One of those documentaries about the 80s "Nintendo" craze...

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Hamburglar posted:

I don't know where else to post this because it's true but I thought it was bullshit because it's about an old game I love and I hadnt heard about this until recently. Again, it's totally true.

Remember that awesome SNES game Uniracers/Unirally published by Nintendo and developed by Rockstar? The game sold like poo poo because Nintendo was not allowed to print a 2nd batch of the game. Apparently Pixar once made a CGI short that included a unicycle and some braindead judge agreed with Pixar that it was blatant copyright infringement. Thus Nintendo could no longer legally manufacture the game. Because of a CGI unicycle existing somewhere a decade previously.

No mention of blood, guts, ghosts, ultra violence or garbled music. I'm having a hard time believing this urban legend.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Garbled music I can believe; I've gotten garbled music in actual games before and it sounded pretty weird (one of the various buggy results of capturing MissingNo/M in the original pokemon games was that it could garble your music). Customized blood and guts sprites is a bit harder to swallow.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Garbled music I can believe; I've gotten garbled music in actual games before and it sounded pretty weird (one of the various buggy results of capturing MissingNo/M in the original pokemon games was that it could garble your music). Customized blood and guts sprites is a bit harder to swallow.

Definitely. Especially on cartridge-based media, a bad contact or having the cartridge in at a weird angle can make creepy stuff on its own just with garbled music and messed-up sprites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VVO0W9mXQY

And occasionally hilarious stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDJ7woeAQeI

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Mister Roboto posted:

There's a hidden boss in Evermore, and anoter boss you can theoretically skip completely. Maybe it was one of those?

It was supposedly in the greenhouse part of the last world.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I don't believe that Uniracers only got one production run, although it makes sense that Unirally (the PAL version) might have.

I've seen US Uniracers carts with two cartridge styles, one like this:

and like this:

I mean here, that area below the cartridge label where the cartridge can lock in or whatever.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Definitely. Especially on cartridge-based media, a bad contact or having the cartridge in at a weird angle can make creepy stuff on its own just with garbled music and messed-up sprites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VVO0W9mXQY

And occasionally hilarious stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDJ7woeAQeI

I think I was actually looking for the Goldeneye video for this thread at one point and couldn't find it. cartridge tilting is really amusing, and always good for creating nightmare fuel material for fooling people. That said, if I'm correct frequently doing it can cause some damage.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

fishmech posted:

I don't believe that Uniracers only got one production run, although it makes sense that Unirally (the PAL version) might have.

and like this:

I mean here, that area below the cartridge label where the cartridge can lock in or whatever.

This reminds me: So what was the purple triangle that was on every SNES box and cartridge for? The one that varied in level from game to game? What does it denote? Why did they have it?

I have always wondered this, and I have just attempted googling for it only to get more people asking the same question without being answered. This is my own unsolved video game mystery.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yonic Symbolism posted:

This reminds me: So what was the purple triangle that was on every SNES box and cartridge for? The one that varied in level from game to game? What does it denote? Why did they have it?

I have always wondered this, and I have just attempted googling for it only to get more people asking the same question without being answered. This is my own unsolved video game mystery.

Well it points down so the extremely dimwitted know which way the cartridge goes. I assume Nintendo just required publishers to put it on all their carts and didn't give any specific placement instructions.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!

fishmech posted:

Well it points down so the extremely dimwitted know which way the cartridge goes. I assume Nintendo just required publishers to put it on all their carts and didn't give any specific placement instructions.

No, it keeps the ghosts out. WoooOOOOOOooooo.:ghost:

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

JammyLammy posted:

garbled music

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Metroixer/videos/71/

garbled music does happen and it can be terrifying.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Saradiart posted:

I can't believe that's real. That ROM is obviously haunted.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

saberwulf posted:

Yeah I'm salvaging this thread from page 7, with good reason.

THIS
http://vodpod.com/watch/936864-liveplacecityspace

This loving video has alluded me for the past 4 loving years, and I finally goddamn found it. I have spent entire nights crawling the internet for it and finally, finally my search is completed.

You may be wondering "what is so special about it?" just watch it, it was i thought was going to the best goddamn game ever with the basic concept of Second Life, graphics rivaling Mirrors Edge/Crysis and the "every room can be entered" concept of matrix online. He said it was going to be playable on anything, it was going to blow SL out of the water. And then nothing ever happened. Now THAT is a loving hoax.

edit: the rendering engine is real, and apparently there is some truth to the game

OTOY engine site: http://www.otoy.com/#/home/

Techcrunch explaining liveplace/cityspace: http://techcrunch.com/2008/08/20/the-truth-behind-liveplaces-photo-realistic-3d-world-and-otoys-rendering-engine/

The problem with this is that all the 3D is done server side, and that requires, well, servers. Which cost money. And people don't want to pay money just to have a "virtual city" on their phone.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Saradiart posted:

It kinda sounds like bad 8-bit prog rock.

SomeKindofVerb
Jan 12, 2010
What prog rock do you listen to...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS2IofhcIJY

I actually am quite infatuated with the idea of backwards engineering a lot of the things that are coming out of this thread and making them happen to people through cartridge modding and the likes. Not that I have any idea how anyone would go about that, and not that we'd ever hear about the follow ups if, say, we just dropped a copy of Pokémon: SPOOKY or Zelda: GHOSTLY into a second hand bin. It'd just be warming to know that we might really ruin someone's childhood.

Bonus points if whatever hack they are made to play somehow resets to the normal game forevermore on conclusion. They'll tell their friends, but nobody will believe them.

Edit: content

SomeKindofVerb fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 11, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SomeKindofVerb posted:

What prog rock do you listen to...?

He just said the bad kind... :v:

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

and like this:

You are definitely remembering that wrong because only very, very early SNES games had the first cartridge you showed. Uniracers came way at the end of the SNES' life.

I guess it did get me wondering why Nintendo changed the cartridge shape after a while? I know they no longer thought of pulling the cartridge out as being damaging to the system or game, but why remove it anyway? Was it bothering them or something?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Milky_Sauce posted:

I guess it did get me wondering why Nintendo changed the cartridge shape after a while? I know they no longer thought of pulling the cartridge out as being damaging to the system or game, but why remove it anyway? Was it bothering them or something?

I would assume that too many SNES consoles got ruined by people just ripping the game out while it was locked in place, so they switched to the later design which should (theoretically) push the lock out and power off the console when the game is removed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

21stCentury posted:

I remember hearing about that. It was invented by a guy who wrote one of those "How to win at Nintendo games" books that were so popular in those days.

Basically, the info was really vague, it was more of less just a a "There's also a Secret Chocolate Factory, but I can't talk about it now" passage in how to win at Super Mario Bros.

It was nothing more than a hoax designed to get people to buy his book. He made it up completely (hence why no one else ever talked about it before). I think he always said He'd talk about it in Volume 2 or 3 or whichever, basically to get people buying.

Sorry i can't give you details about the rumor/hoax itself. I think I heard about it in King of Kong or Chasing Ghosts. One of those documentaries about the 80s "Nintendo" craze...

I can definitely see where someone would get the idea that there would be at least one more hidden level (or two).

Those island on the map are used for nothing at all. And they are right next to Chocolate Island

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I can definitely see where someone would get the idea that there would be at least one more hidden level (or two).

Those island on the map are used for nothing at all. And they are right next to Chocolate Island

Wrong super mario. :)

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

21stCentury posted:

Which is odd. If my Gameboy suddenly became able to show details like that, I would suspect ghosts. How could he differentiate blood from "black"? hem entions people being bloody, but Mr Write has "Black Pixels" around his mouth? Wouldn't that look exactly like blood on a 4-color display?

Yeah, the whole "a lot of detail went into the blood and guts" thing is really the only part which kinda ruins it for me. I honestly don't know why the people who make up these stories keep doing that. It's infinitely more creepy when the spooky imagery still fits in the context of the original game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Rocketlex posted:

Yeah, the whole "a lot of detail went into the blood and guts" thing is really the only part which kinda ruins it for me. I honestly don't know why the people who make up these stories keep doing that. It's infinitely more creepy when the spooky imagery still fits in the context of the original game.

I'm trying to even imagine what blood and guts would look like on the GBC and it just was not coming to me. That's what took me out of it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm trying to even imagine what blood and guts would look like on the GBC and it just was not coming to me. That's what took me out of it.

Maybe?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Milky_Sauce posted:

You are definitely remembering that wrong because only very, very early SNES games had the first cartridge you showed. Uniracers came way at the end of the SNES' life.

You're either remembering this backwards or developers had a choice of which cartridge shape to use, because my copy of SMW has the bottom, locking design and my copy of Chrono Trigger has what you call the "old design".

My guess would be that the opposite happened; they admitted/realized that pulling out the cartridge during play wasn't going to blow up the console and people switched to the more "aerodynamic" shape because it was cheaper to manufacture or something. Or else it was so you could jerk out the cartridge more easily without damaging the system so that idiots who did that wouldn't break their hardware.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Zombies' Downfall posted:

You're either remembering this backwards or developers had a choice of which cartridge shape to use, because my copy of SMW has the bottom, locking design and my copy of Chrono Trigger has what you call the "old design".

The one with just a slot is older, the aerodynamic-looking thing is newer. I had a SNES from close to the original release, and all the games right around release has just a slot. It was a while before the other style even showed up.

Edit: A quick Google tells me that the old slot design was used from about '91 to '93, and the new "ramp" design was used from about '93 to '97.

Edit2: Another result tells me that they stopped including the dust caps on SNES games around the same time as the cartridge style switch.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 12, 2011

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I just assumed that, much like the intro, it was one of those slow pan-ups of a more detailed sprite picture that they tend to do every once in a while. Like in the intro, the shot of him holding onto the mast of his ship, like that.
The last line of the story was really good, too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You know what gets me about that story? He was helping a friends friend move when he found this cartridge. Instead of going "oh you helped me move" and giving him the thing it became a sale. If some guy was helping me move and found a game I didn't even know I had I would just let him have the thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Len posted:

You know what gets me about that story? He was helping a friends friend move when he found this cartridge. Instead of going "oh you helped me move" and giving him the thing it became a sale. If some guy was helping me move and found a game I didn't even know I had I would just let him have the thing.
This is what kills your immersion? Because I could entirely see this happening.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Re:The Zelda story...

Was there an insinuation I missed? Everyone was killed in a way related to their crime, but Marin died somewhat generically. Was the method supposed to insinuate what she "did?"

Pretty clever story overall, I've been thinking about it once in a while since I read it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Endorph posted:

This is what kills your immersion? Because I could entirely see this happening.

Nah doesn't kill the immersion just feel there should be a line about the guy being a dick. Still an interesting read.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Macaluso posted:

As a kid, Final Fantasy II drove me insane with all of the un-used areas. I mean, everyone went crazy about the face on the Moon but even the un-used mountains under Mount of Ordeals drove me batty. I think the After Years did something with them but I can't remember.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

My mate and a fellow SA poster started the San Andreas Bigfoot rumor over on GTA Forums.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
I don't think this is a hoax but I can't for the life of me figure out what game I'm thinking of. On the N64 you could reset the neutral position of your analog stick, but if you set the neutral position to Down and let go of the stick, the real neutral would be like holding up. Then, hitting up afterwards in this game would result in the game taking "more up" as an input, which actually made an impact on gameplay. Like a race game going faster or something, but I forgot. Am I making this up? Does anyone know what game I'm talking about, or were there maybe even multiple games that did this?

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

furry drum circle posted:

I don't think this is a hoax but I can't for the life of me figure out what game I'm thinking of. On the N64 you could reset the neutral position of your analog stick, but if you set the neutral position to Down and let go of the stick, the real neutral would be like holding up. Then, hitting up afterwards in this game would result in the game taking "more up" as an input, which actually made an impact on gameplay. Like a race game going faster or something, but I forgot. Am I making this up? Does anyone know what game I'm talking about, or were there maybe even multiple games that did this?

Sounds like the trick in the original arcade version of Spy Hunter. See, the gas pedal had a bar that prevented it from going all the way down, but it was programmed so that the real max speed was way beyond that. By removing that bar, you could go much faster than usual.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Corzaa posted:

My mate and a fellow SA poster started the San Andreas Bigfoot rumor over on GTA Forums.

Pretty sure that I started it over at the gamefaqs forums

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Policenaut posted:

Maybe?

Naw sorry I meant more from the overheard perspective of Link's Awakening.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

It probably works on several games, the only one I can think of right now is Tales of Symphonia on Gamecube, you can walk around a lot faster if you reconfigure your neutral position.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

There are quite a few games that can do this, if the programmers are a bit lazy. The stick circuitry tells the console the degree to which it is pushed, and the console biases this to figure out how far away from neutral it was. So if you let the console assume that "neutral" means the stick is at -45 degrees, and then push it up to 45 degrees, the console will tell the game that the stick is at 90 degrees. If the game determined your speed just by comparing where the stick was to 45 degrees, now you're going twice as fast as intended.

Smarter games will use different ranges of the stick to look up your speed in a preset table, so pushing the stick even farther cannot move you faster than the maximum speed the game designer chose. There's just a larger range of stick motion that means "maximum speed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Eat My Fuc posted:

Pretty sure that I started it over at the gamefaqs forums
:laugh:

As far as those little islands in the Super Mario World map, I think that the stage to the immediate left of them broke off from that area of the map. That stage was a secret stage that broke off from that section of the map.