Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Stupid or no (okay, just stupid), I like "ooooooh spooky haunted video game!" stories. At this point they're uncommon enough that the cliches are more amusing than annoying.

Besides, we've gotten a few interesting urban legends and whatnot so far. Killswitch is actually pretty cool on its own, the Fallout number station just needs to sound less like a Lovecraft freakout for the last entry... and, uh, that Majora's Mask romhack was pretty well done.

Here's an interesting one: a Nintendo event had a flier going around with "bring your DS for a surprise mystery gift!" added to its bullet point list o' functions. This, it turns out, was added after the fact by someone who wasn't a Nintendo employee, because the free mystery Pokemon was a Gengar named "friend of the family," with the Truant ability and a movelist that included Thief. Terrible joke, yes, but this has the advantage of actually being played on an unsuspecting public: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jshiYIGbFk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Indigo Prophecy is an apt comparison, since this went from small, self-contained horror to "Woah, woah, wait a minute. When did psychic hobos factor into this, again?"

It's one thing to have fiction that starts local and winds up cosmic, but you gotta have some windup to it, you know? It's a little abrupt going from "spooky romhack that may be haunted" to "only a hero from another universe can save us from Drownboy the Munificent, and it's up to you to guide him!" in three updates. That and the handful who thought it might be really probably did so due to the story being fairly self-contained and as realistic as a haunted-game story could ever come off. Adding extradimensional warriors and whatnot totally busts in suspension of disbelief.

Also, if he actually did go through with the whole Romhack Link Adventures thing, it'd just degenerate into "retrieve arms from chest" and ">Zoosmell Pooplord: Aggress Missingno."

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Eversion is probably as complex as a "the game is secretly scary!" ARG could be nowadays, which is a pity, since I love horror games and would love to see more "oh hell, what's happening to the game?!" twists.

Let's see if I can find an old PWOT article that illustrates what I'm thinking of...

EDIT: drat, can't find it. Long story short: two guys rent an NBA baseball game. One of them turns on every cheat code possible. They beat the game so badly the other team starts suffering lasting injuries from constant fouls brought on by superhumanly strong player characters, and eventually some of them die. The announcers start cursing the names of the players. By the end of the game the crowd has stopped responding and merely screams at the top of their collective lungs while the gamers achieve some absurdly high score, like 999-nothing. At which point everything falls silent, the crowd graphics and announcers vanish, and a white-haired woman sits alone in the stands to replace them. She whispers "Silencio," then the game disc bursts into flames and ejects itself out of the system.

They try to return the game and claim they dropped it. Rental store owner smells the burned disc and leers at the gamers: "Seriously, 999 to nothing?"

EDIT 2: Seriously, Pointless Waste of Time Dot Com had some of the best video game comedy-horror stories, mostly due to John Cheese cheating like a maniac and trying to become an in-game deity (and usually succeeding).

TombsGrave fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 20, 2010

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

I always heard the hillbilly was supposed to make the game stand out from every other SNES game whose cover had spaceships blowing up or epic fantasy heroes swinging swords at dragons or whatnot.

That and as Chunderbucket pointed out there's just plain not much to the game other than "fly around and shoot at stuff."

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Of all the "haunted/spooky" game stories, that one's the best / only one that's actually cool. Its plausibility helps a bit, but it also just plain sounds like a cool game.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

I saw Slenderman in my pokedex once.

So... what type was it? Or was it just sort of looming behind the trainer in the height comparison.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Kurui Reiten posted:

Pfffffffffft, that was amazing.

"It's me, your dead girlfriend! This EVIL VIDYA GAME! is holding me hostage! The power of love can save me though! Here, I'll unlock your Super Saiyan monster and you can use your AMAZING GODZILLA SKILLS to save the day!"

It's a good thing seemingly ancient, amazingly powerful evil can be defeated by some punk kid with an NES controller, right?

Hey, you wouldn't know until you tried, right?

N'thing that the sprite work is really well-done, especially the grotesquely biological stuff near the end. That was really unsettling even though the phrase hyper-realistic kept running through my head. The writing is like something out of a pre-editor Goosebumps book, minus the quickly-solved cliffhanger at the end of each chapter. Oddly it's not the ghost Troubled Girlfriend In Need Of Saving and also she's a golden spike angel monster that kept kicking me out of the story, it's the sheer unlikelihood of the player kicking that much rear end in an NES game without cheap shots giving him a ton of game overs.

TombsGrave fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 10, 2011

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Does anyone else remember reading the David Wong story where he and his friend John play a basketball game for (I believe) the genesis, but they cheat to make their players impossibly good, and then just keep scoring more and more points? All I remember is that the yelling of the crowd keeps getting louder and more distorted, I think the screen starts to get red, and then when the timer runs out the game just turns off. Basically, he knows when to cut it short, unlike so very many of these other authors.

I've been trying to find a link to it for a while, but I think it may have been on his old site. :(

It was a PS1-era basketball game, actually. They made their own characters with maxed-out stats and obscene nicknames. Since they maxed out their players' strength scores, when they intentionally fouled by pushing the other players the other team eventually started coughing up blood and vomiting onto the court. They played so well that the audience started booing, the announcers started threatening the players directly, and the final quarter was just the audience and announcers standing up and screaming at full volume.

When they beat the game (by some ludicrously huge number to zero), there was a single blue-haired woman in the stands, who made the "shush" gesture and whispered "Silencio." Then the disc exploded in the console.

They tried to take it back, but the guy behind the desk sniffed the exploded CD and said "You won by how much?"

There was also a story about a Grand Theft Auto III game where getting caught by the police after a rampage resulted in being taken before a jury, then sentenced to thirty years in prison, then being stuck in prison that long in-game.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

When I first read the creepypasta and was expecting dumb twists, I thought that Solomon was a previous player of the game who beat it but somehow got absorbed into the game or something, which let him create a superpowerful character. The date on the victory screen is his birthdate, obviously.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Rocketlex posted:

TONIGHT, ON A VERY SPECIAL EPISODE OF "THE PRINCESS," ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTERS...WILL DIE!

Part 7! Wherein an epic battle against The Princess occurs. I wouldn't place any bets on who wins.

Crap, I already did. Now I owe my stupid friends twenty stupid bucks. Thanks a lot, Adam.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

A friend of mine says that when he was a kid he played a video game called Supermartian. He remembers some stuff about it: you played as a caped martian in a cat-shaped or cat-earred space helmet, flying around and saving cats. He thinks it was an adventure game, either Apple II or Commodore 64. He swears that he played it a ton in his youth, but has never seen hide nor hair of it on the internet.

He hasn't said anything about it showing his family's photorealistic skeletons, but it's safe to assume they were present.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

This is from like a week ago, but I needed to reply.

I owned this game; it is a real game (which I also have never been able to find any information about). It was an adventure game on 5.25" floppy, and I played it on my LASER computer (a crappy Apple IIe clone). Super Martian had his initials on his chest, but reversed: "M S". His head looked like a cross between Moomin's head and a motorcycle helmet, he wore all white, and he did have a cape. I never beat the game; I would always get lost and bored in an orchard outside of the starting area. Ask your friend if any of this rings a bell; like him, the lack of any online record made me wonder if I'd made the whole thing up.

This jibes with what he remembers, though he also remembers the character's helmet having cat ears. He's glad somebody else remembers it, too. No other info yet, though.

Sadly, I've not bumped into any creepy or scary game glitches or esoterica. The oddest thing that's ever happened to me in a video game was in Knights of the Old Republic 1, where a glitch froze every character's legs in the middle of a running position. I just glided around spamming the "clear actions" button, which made your character twirl their lightsaber(s) around and declaring to the world that the world premier of Jedi On Ice had officially begun.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

You were very brave to post this, Little Ninja Brothers. I applaud you, though you are dead.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

The recent Ghostbusters game will trigger an unwinnable situation about 3/4ths of the way through the first level if it detects it's been pirated. There are these really annoying early enemies called candelabrum crawlers, little spidery things that are hard to hit but don't take a lot of damage to destroy. If the anti-piracy kicks in, their hitboxes shrink, they take 1/10th normal damage, and your proton stream becomes insanely inaccurate. Since they attack in packs of about four or five it becomes impossible to destroy even one before they take you out.

There's also a sim FPS whose name evades me that starts off playing as normal, but gradually decreases the accuracy on all firearms until you can't hit even at point blank. I seem to recall hearing that several games used that style of anti-piracy.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

The puzzle you're thinking of only became impossible as computer technology improved. It was a competitive puzzle which I'm not remembering fully at the moment. The game's AI was tied to the computer's processing speed, so the computer would play aggressively but not perfectly. On a modern computer it thinks so fast and responds so perfectly that you may as well not even start.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Every time you ask about when the story's going to be done, the ghost of Randy Pitchford delays it another two weeks.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

In my headcanon the Princess's modus operandi is contorting real-life physics and anatomy the same way she can contort video game physics and anatomy. The only reason the bodies she leaves behind are recognizable is because they tend to die before she gets too far into it. If she had sufficient practice on living subjects... well.

Mind, in the Ghostbusters game I ran with her as the villain, she manifested glitched-out video game characters as enemies and blasted people with danmaku while "Septette for a Dead Princess" blared in the background. She also had a techbane power that forced characters to roll two ghost dice instead of one, doubling the heroes' chance of something going hilariously wrong when they opened fire on her... but alas they rolled too well for that to really kick in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Rocketlex, I was at work last night when I suddenly realized the whole joke behind The Princess. She's an information entity from an unfinished video game. She's a simulated being without an original thing to simulate. She's a signifier without a signified. She is literally hyperrealistic.

This is why I spent four years getting an English degree: to realize obscure puns.