Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I don't think anyone on the entire planet didn't try to collect 32 soldiers in final fantasy 7 after misreading the name of the item as "1 out of 32 soldiers" instead of "1/32 scaled soldier". I think the fact that that seemed like a reasonable goal made it that much worse.

I don't think anyone on the planet understood 'someone close to you is in trouble" as referring to anything but shalea in chrono trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Rocketlex posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jail Game, by :frog:

I've always wanted to design a game that did this intentionally. Like, it would have to be part of a much larger, complete game, but just add in some obscure element that's really creepy but hard to find.

Dunwich Building in fallout 3 is pretty much exactly that and the Upside Down Sinners in WoW

edit: to be less cryptic upside down sinners is a room that is unaccessable that if you enter is fully of corpses hanging upside down from hooks underwater while the dunwich building is a fairly random building that has a short lovecraft style subplot that is very vauge and creepy.

mew force shoelace fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 31, 2010

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
In pokemon if you hold B and Up it alters the RND slightly so if you are an autistic nerd you can look in huge charts to effect catch rates but that translated to every kid ever as "hold up and B and you'll catch everything".

I still do it just as a good luck charm though.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Someone told me to do this quest in FF8 and I didn't even try because it sounded so fake and made up, (especially if you have just a dude explaining out loud and not specifics written down). Like 5 years later I saw it referenced somewhere else and it blew my mind that it was real.

You'll find Obel Lake after walking north from Timber for a while. Do this side quest if you want to earn a "Three Stars", which makes your GF learn Expend x3-1. It can also be refined into Triple x100 with the Time Mag- RF. The only way to get more of these is to modify Squall's card or beat Omega Weapon- or do more side quests.

Press X at the small peninsula. You'll have two options: throw rocks or hum.
Keep humming until a shadow appears. Choose to help him, then he will disappear. Throw rocks at the lake until you get the message "the rock skipped many times", then you can search for the monkey.

If you return to the lake, you'll get a few hints. Not all of them will lead to the monkey, but they tell you where to get good items:
Near Dollet (a little to the west) you'll find a forest. Mr. Monkey will be waiting for you. Throw rocks at him, and eventually he will throw a rock with letters (U, R, H, A, E, O) on it at you. Now return to the lake and talk to the voice for rumours.

-"At the beach in Balamb, something special washes ashore at times."
This is the first hint. Go to Rinaud Coast (the beach near Balamb) and search for a stone with the letters "S, T, S, R, L, M" on it.

-"There's also something on top of a mountain with a lake and cavern."
There's a mountain near Galbadia Garden, you'll recognize it because of the waterfall. Go to the cliff right above it and press X. You'll have to fight a Thrustaevis (ooh, how difficult) and receive another stone afterwards- which shows the letters "E A S N P D". Mystifying...

-"You'll find something on an island east of Timber too..."
This island is (now who would have thought?) somewhere to the east of Timber. It's the one without a beach. Land on it to find a stone reading "R, F, A, I, D, R".

- (..)Eldbeak Peninsula"
Oh please, don't make it too difficult. Go to the Eldbeak Peninsula (go north from Balamb) where you will find a stone pillar with ""TRETIMEASUREATMINOFFDEISLE" on it. If you remove "time" and "off", "Treasure at Minde Isle" will be left. Minde Isle is an Island south from Esthar. You'll find a Luck-J Scroll there.

Time to return all the stones to Obel Lake. You might have figured out that you have to put the letters together- read it backwards to get "Mordred Plains Has Treasure".
Mordred plains are the huge plains to the south of Esthar. Talk to the stones, but watch out, the red ones lie. Always do the opposite of what they're saying. If a red one says "The treasure is not here", talk to him a second time, you'll get your Three Stars.
There's also a forest on the Centra continent you can find an item in...

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Stringer_Bell posted:

Super Mario Brothers

I remember a hint/cheat book filled with tips for NES games. The Mario page included the steps for finding World -1. After that, the book mentioned another rumored hidden level. The book called this level the Chocolate Factory and said no one knew how to find it yet.

I have checked online and there don't even seem to be any mention of this level anywhere else.

The book How to win at nintendo games made that up

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
You know thinking about it I bet it's not just the lack of internet that made this an 80s and 90s thing, Every game I loved as a child had a ton of unfinished content and I think that both made weird crap sound plausible and made lots of seemingly useless stuff to hook rumors to.

Games got better at some point at not having locked doors you can't open and broken items that don't ever do anything. It still happens but I think MMORPGs are the last bastion of "we made this up as we went along" style design that leaves nonsense that doesn't do anything everywhere.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

SheepNameKiller posted:

I don't know man, I honestly think it's all just the lack of internet. Before information was spread around the world at light speed there was just no way to tell the difference between which wild video game rumor was true and which was fabricated. The 80s and 90s had plenty of unfounded rumors and plenty of crazy codes that did weird poo poo, and there was always that one kid in your class desperate for attention who would confirm every crazy video game rumor and let you know that he did indeed accomplish getting lara croft naked and it was AWESOME.

Gameshark only made this worse because there were legitimate screenshots of people doing things that weren't possible within the confines of the game code and there were always wild rumors about ways to do it that didn't involve Gameshark.

The internet is a big factor, but video games don't feel like they have that weird unpolished "everything is kinda broken" feeling they used to. AAA Games used to have so much cruft in them, with so much unfinished systems and plots and stuff all through the 90s especially. MMORPGs seem like the last bastion for this sort of thing.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

fullroundaction posted:

For actual content: Can't believe this hasn't come up yet, but 100% of my elementary school was convinced that you could - and they had seen someone - jump over the flag at the end of the first level of NES Super Mario Bros.

You can jump over some of them and you just make the level unwinnable and have to wait for time to run out.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Does anyone remember street fighter 2: rainbow?

It was a hacked arcade game that had all sorts of crazy crap that made it sound like you were making stuff up if you ever talked about it.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

The Entity posted:

Back in the late 90s, my friend told me that Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation had a boss which could wipe your memory card. I actually believed this, and it didn't help that some retailers were selling MGS bundled with a new memory card. This rumour was most likely a corruption of the part in MGS where Psycho Mantis reads your memory card.

With how crappy ps1 memory cards were I wouldn't rule out that reading the memory card didn't crash and corrupt it some small percentage of the time. PS1 memory cards loved to get corrupted.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
This is the best pokemon rumor because once you see it you instantly know it's true:

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think that could just be chalked up to all those pokemon being drawn by the same guy, hence features like the mandibles and antennae being similar.

Well if you look it up the caterpillar is a real sort of caterpillar and it really does turn into a butterfly that looks like that so really what happened is they switched them so the weaker looking one was weaker and the stronger looking one was stronger. I mean it makes more sense the way it is now, since only one of the two looks poisonous but it definitely is switched from the original intent.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

His point was since it's the same designer/artist, there will probably be similar features on unrelated Pokemon. Also, convergent evolution. :p

Is it really hard to believe they switched artwork though? It's not like people took two random pokemon and compared them, there was only two butterflies and both have the exact features of the other one's previous evolution. It's really clear they drew it one way but switched at some point, probably because the current butterfree looks much weaker than the current venonat and way less poisonous.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm nearly certain there was no "original story" at all. Keep in mind that this game was Squaresoft USA's fist big project and they had a development window of only one year. Combine that with hiring an experimental musician as the game's composer and I think what you have is a poorly designed world with out-there music. That kind of comes off as creepy - just like other games with less-than-cohesive design like Equinox. I guess it also doesn't help that the game's story has a psychological twist to it.

edit: as far as the "dark" commercials go, we have to remember that this was a time when game companies were specifically trying to expand their sales to the 18-24 market. I was looking at my Gamepro that has the review of SoE in it, and the thing is full of dark adverts for otherwise innocuous games such as a distorted close-up picture of a dude grinding a roach in his teeth in an ad for the family-friendly Gex.

The game has some pretty awkward "no wait she was a robot/evil twin" crap happening. It seems really really likely that sort of "no we take it back" stuff wasn't the original intent.

I mean there is a ton of times you kill someone then it turns out they were a clone or a robot then for the rest of the game the 'twin' just stands there and never has anything to do with the story ever again. It's pretty easy to assume you really did kill the person and the nonsense explanations how it wasn't them was added after.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I think it's pretty easy to guess what the original story of evermore was too.

I mean the basic plot was that 4 people got to create a magical land where their dreams created their personal utopia but they became stuck for 30 years and lead their utopia as kings/queens/whatever.

Pretty much every plot with that setup ever in every story ever has the utopia crumbling (like bioshock). But instead there is a totally left field plot twist that a robot butler is sabotaging things and the leaders are really evil clones now.

Like every area has the hooks for 'this vision of utopia has failed because of the leader's personal failing in creating it and here is why: _______" but instead just went to "uhhh, the leaders turned evil because uhh... they are evil clones now".

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Danger Mahoney posted:

The whole robot twin thing is the entire plot of the game, though. It wouldn't make sense if you actually killed the people, and the plot wouldn't make sense if the rulers of the land were actually evil.

It's the entire plot in the final version of the game, and seems pretty tacked on overall. Every character is set up with a Utopian vision and a character flaw and a plot that they got stuck in the utopias they created for decades.

I don't think you ever FIGHT the evil clones, do you? I am pretty sure they all just sort of randomly explode or kill themselves for no particular reason when their part is over.

They feel like a totally separate aspect of the game than the main plot. Very much like they are a last minute rewrite.

I think the setup is for them to be like andrew ryan in bioshock, he's not evil exactly, he just had a utopian vision that failed due to it and his own flaws. I imagine the original would have some die (the fat lady who kills herself) and some get redeemed (fire eyes). But instead they dumbed the story down at some point in development to make it "meh, evil clones took over, whatever"

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Danger Mahoney posted:

Maybe, who knows? It IS fun to think about. I love dark and creepy games, and Secret of Evermore was one of my favorite games on the SNES. I just don't think there's really any evidence of any drastic plot change or that there was some previous plot that was much darker - too dark to release on a system that carried an uncensored Mortal Kombat 2. I guess nobody can really prove that there wasn't a conspiracy to cover up a scary plot, but it takes some pretty big leaps to believe that there was.

It's also not a conspiracy to think something went really wrong in secret of evermore's development and by the end of the game the art style has changed quite a bit (bosses especially look more and more traditional, the first part of the game they were all background+sprites large format bosses and later bosses are just sprites) and the game gets increasingly glitchy to the point of basic functionality being broken (the bazooka, the dog in the final form). The whole ending part of the game is a mess and it seems pretty obvious the final game is a slapped together and unfinished for release.

edit: the more I think about it the bosses are the most clear evidence for the theory, compare the last few bosses and the first few bosses. The first few bosses have a style like nothing else in the game. Being huge disturbing monsters that are truely scary. You can see where the game quits on that style and that is probably where the tone shifted.

mew force shoelace fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 7, 2010

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

That Robox posted:

Also we had a special button-press technique for each ball as it snapped closed on a Pokemon which was:

Poke Ball-Down+B
Great Ball-Up+B
Ultra Ball-A
Safari Ball-Up+A

Pretty sad I still remember those.

That comes from something, if you are stepping through the game frame by frame for a speed run pressing up or B will advance the random seed by one step. Meaning if you want a pixel perfect game you have to do that sometimes. That mutated into 'holding up and B catches pokemon"

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Nebelwerfer posted:

For fucks sake, there's no creepy mystery behind SoE, it was just trend in that time to make cartoons and games to look odd/broody or darker than their plot gives out. Some goon already stated in this thread that this was a trick to sell "childish" products to the angst-ridden teenagers more easily.

It's not a creepy mystery, it's an obvious tone shift. Tons of games have their stories changed before release. SoE was the only game that studio ever made and it's not shocking if the development was fairly unfocused. I mean the game is glitchy as hell and clearly was not finished or tested correctly. I mean it doesn't take a conspiracy to see the first few bosses and the opening title screen are drawn in a totally separate art style than the whole rest of the game.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Rocketlex posted:

Just have fewer of them in relation to running stages.

The whole problem with the sonic franchise can be boiled down to "why do they keep making sonic do things other than running"?

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah the Brachiosaur was definitely real; I think what he's partially remembering though is that that forest was host to some of the most widespread rumors about how to revive General Leo. Something like you have to win 4096 battles there to get a special potion or somesuch insanity.

I love how 'round' binary numbers (powers of two that are powers of two: 16, 256, 512,1024) all had almost mystical significance in old games. I mean long before I knew anything about binary I knew that 255/256 was a very important number in NES games and should be looked out for.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

skipThings posted:

Could you please explain that to us lower peons, who are not versed as well as other people in the lore of videogames ?

Some game I forget the name of was in magazines as coming but then never released and someone on the internet claimed to have the only copy, they mocked up screen shots and made a decent looking game but after a while the screen shots got more and more odd until they were a bunch of crazy nonsense and people still thought it was the actual game.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Lacool posted:

He doesn't see the cosmos because he experiences a revelation, he sees them because he is literally shown them by aliens.

understanding movie plots in the most mundane way.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

RagnarokAngel posted:

Just an FYI there's a final fantasy thread already:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3351797

I think that would be by far a separate enough concept to warent a new thread.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Tossmonaut posted:

Must not be the American version since level 11 is impossible on it.

It wasn't impossible, just a large amount of the times player two would glitch out and have to lose all their lives.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Tossmonaut posted:

Well yes it's impossible if the second player cannot advance.

It takes all the player 2 lives but the game is still beatable. They can even use a continue next level.

It sucks and it's broken and it takes away a whole continue in a game that needs them. but it's not "impossible"

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Also I really liked that Secret of Evermore talk earlier in the thread. I don't think there was actually a secret overhaul at the eleventh hour, but it is interesting to note that the "goofiness" of the game is confined solely to the dialogue. I loved that game, largely for the dark and eerie atmosphere it had outside of the jokey dialogue. I mean, the disconnect between the eeriness and the goofiness could be circumstantial evidence for a change in direction, but I do seem to remember ads really early on talking about B-movie references being part of the game's American flavor or something. The team's whole directive was to make a game that screamed "American," after all, and that's the only element that speaks to that. Plus, I feel like the goofiness balanced out the darkness. Who knows, an out-and-out dark game might have been even more awesome, but I don't feel like the game as-is suffers for the it, or seems like it wasn't meant to be that way.

I still say the fact the early bosses are elaborate background based bosses (and terrifying!) and the later bosses are sprite based AND the last half of the game is almost comically buggy indicates that at the very least the game had different plans and just got spat out incredibly half finished.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Lone Rogue posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if around the same time they were told to get their asses moving on finishing the game, they were also told to tone down the dark themes.

yeah pretty much that, I bet they were going for a much much more complex story and ran out of time and shipped a goofy story and a half finished game.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Yeah, and this is interesting, but what I was saying is that it's not as if they were making the game in story order... Probably. Early/late in game order doesn't necessarily map to early/late in the development process. Or maybe it does in this case, I dunno.

There really is no sane reason games have to be made in order, but it's odd how often it's obvious that they are.

Like nearly every game with a rushed development cycle has the last levels and the ending being the part that suffers, and games that changed a lot over development it's always most obvious from the first levels.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Doc Hawkins posted:

Here's my view of "in order" development:

You spend as much time as it takes to make the "core gameplay verbs", the things that the players will spend the most time doing, fun in themselves, even without any context/content. If the players will spend most of their time running and jumping, then the running and jumping must be inherently fun. If they will be in menu-driven fights, then selecting things from the menu and watching the numbers go down must be a pleasant experience. If they will be in conversations, the interface for choosing conversation options and getting responses must be pored over exhaustively.

Well thing is evermore DOESN'T work that way, gameplay systems that happen later in the game are incredibly broken compared to gameplay systems from earlier in the game. Most noteably ammo does not really function at all. And energy on the final dog is screwed up. The chronological last part of the game is notably less well play tested and programmed than the earlyer parts. Also the artwork goes way down hill and bosses are no longer screen filling (terrifying) alien monsters. Evermore was pretty clearly made in chronological order with the end parts of the game given much less work and a different style than the first parts of the game.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I like braid because I like the idea the stars gameplay is part of the story.

The end of the game is "obsession is bad, it will destroy you, you lost the girl and became a bad person because of obsession" and the credits roll.

But you can keep playing, there is stars to get, the first one requires waiting for TWO HOURS in a single spot to make a jump that has a window of like 45 seconds before another two hours needs to be waited. Others require coordinated jumps between like 5 enemies.

The game is already over at this point but you can keep playing, doing absurd tasks, and you eventually get another ending, an ending showing that obsession destroys EVERYTHING, that it's not just lost love that obsession destroys but human life and maybe someday the whole world. With the implication that you the player have become the obsessed, playing a game far beyond the end.

mew force shoelace fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 19, 2010

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

flatluigi posted:

A lot of the issues people have with the alternate ending to Braid seem to stem from the fact that gamers assume a harder ending to get must be 'real' or 'better' than the normal ending. Like mfs said, Braid's about obsession; if you're obsessed with the game to the point where you'll spend absurd amounts of time for absolutely nothing then everything turns out even worse than it would normally.

Hell, one of the stars is even impossible to get if you didn't know it was there before working your way through the game, so you'd have to play the entire game over to get it.

Yeah seriously, the amount of effort you need to put into getting the stars is absurd and brutal, the game is all about the harmful effects of obsession and so the 'reward' you get for obsessing about the game is a "look what you've done, look what obsession does to people" nuclear bomb thing.

Personally I think it's really clever. but haters gonna hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

13/f/cali posted:

I understand what the message is trying to say there, but I always thought it was strange coming from a video game. "Our game is fun and you enjoy exploring it and playing it multiple times and getting all out of it that you can? Well here's a message about obsession, for shame!"

In Braid it at least makes sense since for one of the stars you have to do something quite unenjoyable by waiting around for two hours, but even then because of the rewind mechanic and being able to rewind at high speeds it isn't necessary to keep an eye on it at all times. So I ended up missing that message because I wasn't obsessed- I wanted to see what would happen if I waited for the cloud, but I didn't sit there with a watchful eye at all times and went and did other stuff. The rest of the stars were fun and challenging to get but only took me a few minutes each to get.

Additionally, most of these games that try to make a statement about obsession fail to capture the productive side of obsession- we have airplanes now because people were obsessed with soaring through the skies.

That only really makes sense if you take it as scolding you personally or something instead of being the theme of the story. It's a story about obsession not a trick to make you feel bad.