Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Fab
Jan 7, 2010

Internet Friend posted:

The game was Bio Force Ape. There's an archive of the original hoax thread here, and 1Up showed off the real Bio Force Ape a while back (also summarizes the hoax story).

This is one of the greatest things I have ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Fab
Jan 7, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

It was funny, but from the way people were talking about it, I figured there'd be more to it.

I was pretty into the emulation community a while back, so that's probably why I find it funny. v:shobon:v

Johnny Fab
Jan 7, 2010

Be Depressive posted:

I know this is from a while back, but..

The first I ever heard of Majestic, it was that they suspended it immediately after 9/11, because everybody was all freaked out and poo poo anyway, and it never recovered, or was abandoned, or something. The whole idea is completely awesome, but an ARG that autodials creepy phone calls and faxes cryptic messages to people's offices would probably attract the wrong kind of attention in this day & age.

What it always reminded me of, though, is in the internet days of yore some guy owned a domain called alienabduction.com - which appeared to be advertising some sort of alien abduction simulation business. Their pitch was that maybe you've spent your whole life waiting to be abducted by aliens, and they just aren't coming, so you pay these guys money and they take you out in the woods and.. I don't know. Maybe drug and rape you or something. This part of the website was unclear.

Besides the authentic alien abduction experience this website also advertised a sort of bonus package where they do surveillance on your house and tap your phone line and tail your car for added realism and a heightened sense of paranoia.

I was 12, and this was one of the first times I had used the internet. I'd arrived at this website by randomly putting alienabduction.com into the Mosaic address bar, as I had heard this internet thing had a lot of X-Files websites. It really seemed like they were advertising an actual service. I told all my friends about it. Even today I know that it's not real, but part of my mind wishes it were.

While alienabductions.com does exist, it's not a good idea to go there because you will probably get a virus.

Johnny Fab fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 22, 2010

Johnny Fab
Jan 7, 2010

Epileptic Nazi posted:

To be honest, although it's cool you found that and all, you should probably edit that link out because dear god I've never seen my antivirus panic like that before. Also, poor goon above me.

Oh man, I have some pretty heavy anti-virus stuff installed so I didn't even notice. Sorry I gave everyone viruses. :smith:

I'll edit it out now.

Johnny Fab
Jan 7, 2010

MizuZero posted:

since this thread's segued into microfiction, here's one I wrote a while back:

--------------------------------------

Pale Luna

I really, really liked it! I'm super glad you didn't go the THIS VIDEOGAME IS HAUNTED route.

Johnny Fab
Jan 7, 2010
It's kind of a shame that the story was so terrible, the spriting was pretty great! STILL THE BEST 1973 made me laugh out loud. Did that ever actually get explained?

Johnny Fab
Jan 7, 2010
Nthing the request for a 5am LP! I poked around and I can't find any videos of the actual map, just people talking about it.

Johnny Fab
Jan 7, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm going to be recording some Hondo stuff today. If anyone wants in on it, bug me on Steam;

http://steamcommunity.com/id/NemsMole/

Edit: In doing some research, turns out I was right about nocredit. Hondo posted here saying it ends in the last dark drowning room. Video just processing now. If I can get some people together I'll take a bash at 5AM.

Shazam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD-ISLGWfyo

Sorry for the awful audio and naff editing. Also my horrible voice.

Pretty cool! Good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Fab
Jan 7, 2010
The Helen story is both terrifying and really sad. :( What a nasty piece of software!