Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Splash Damage posted:

While not a game, there was a flash animation about a Red Room, which was a weird website that caused whoever visited it to go crazy and suicidal. It's fake and ever since I've been kinda scared to go to "mysterious websites". Doesn't help that there are tons of screamer websites, "creepypasta" and even one site mentioned on SA that is just a man in a costume standing in his room and you type out instructions to him.

Really old, but... This sounds like it was based on a flash game called Crimson Chamber, which was followed by Veridian (No I can't spell.) Chamber, and white chamber. (Unrelated to that space horror game.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Another one, that's not a particular hoax, but is full of urban legends: LSD dream emulator.

It's basically like a randomized Yume Nikki. There's a story to it, and it's based off of a real person's LSD experiences, but the guide had a very limited run. And the makers aren't talking.

IIRC, it was only available in Japan, for the PS1. It was quite hard to find, though collecter types can still find a few floating around. Sometimes for cheap. :smug:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Yeah. It sure is cheap alright. A whole 600 yen on the Japanese PlayStation Network

I keep meaning to buy a PSN card for there and buying it.

I totally didn't know it was released on the PSN. It was more expensive before that. I sold a copy I had for 200$ or so. :v:

As for the LSD trip thing, I'll see if I can find a statement one way or the other.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

BR0ME0 posted:

I remember when those rumors were going around, my roommate at the time and I were playing online with this well meaning, but annoying guy, and we realized those rings make sounds, and he was convinced that was the key. After about 2 hours, my roommate and I gave up for the night, since the kid was so annoying.

Cue to us waking up and seeing 3 messages from the guy sent at 4 am yelling into his mic that "OMG GUYS I FIGURED IT OUT, GET ONLINE NOW!"

We couldn't believe it when we watched him jump through hoops and sure enough, out popped a skull.

Those were the days...

I realllly hope that they do something like that with reach as well.

It played the Halo theme (backwards? I haven't done it awhile), so it wasn't THAT hard to figure out eventually.

Also: Not really part of the thread, but it's one of those creepyish games people like here, called every day the same dream.
http://armorgames.com/play/6244/every-day-the-same-dream

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 18, 2010

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

That game is really loving horrible and has the most hamfisted theme even by indie game standards why would you post it in this thread?

It was kinda different, in that you can only die in one was, as opposed to all the "inevibility of deatthhhh" artsy games.

But yeah. It's not exactly subtle, but it's short.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Unexpected EOF posted:

Story

It's true. Not sure how I can expand on it beyond trying to find a link, which I suppose I'll do.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

That second one reminds me of something. In Animal Crossing, (any Animal Crossing,) when you reset the game without saving you get visited by Mr. Resetti (and occasionally his brother who I forget the name of. Don?)

They yell at you and eventually start threatening to delete your save if you do it again. (Resetti even teases it at one point by resetting the game himself.) I swear I remember seeing proof that in one of the Animal Crossing games, they actually do delete your save. Is that just another rumor?

I'm pretty sure that's a rumor, as I've done a test to reset as many times as I could on a throwaway file to catch all his rants.

I didn't get all of them, though. I heard he curses you out (In an E game, mind), if you reset during his rants too many times. :ohdear:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

redmercer posted:

Please don't make us Google things like "toilet hand"

I last played the game when it came out, and I was like, 6, but I believe it was a guy who fell into the toilet. He reached out and wanted some paper to wipe himself with.

So yeah. :stare:

I know a local story people had was about Pikmin 2. In vesus mode, one of my friends said that when he was looking around the maps by himself, he heard a terrifying roar/laugh and a massive spider-thing crashed into the the arena. We played that level about 10 times later, and never saw anything except some mostly harmless little critters that just panic your pikmin.

He swore up and down that it wasn't a Beady Long Legs either, or the Titan Dweevil. :iiam:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 25, 2011

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Shut up and JAM! posted:

Speaking of Majoras Mask. Whats up with the circle of bushes before you enter Termina?

Which one? The one that jumped around?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

I've played this, though the name escapes me. It had an interesting mechanic where your decisions are made on a daily basis and you choose whether to spend time with your family or go off to work. You get a different ending based on how much time you spent with each, and they're all pretty depressing; even if you manage to save the world, you do so at the cost of abandoning your family when they needed your support the most.

If I recall correctly, it also had a "play once and that's it, forever, decisions are final" aspect to it, though it was enforced by cookies and could be gotten around fairly easily.

It's not that bad. You save your daughter if you go full workaholic; She's got the 'healthy' skinstone at the end vs the dead one she/you had earlier.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Nebelwerfer posted:

Okay, is the anything to do after the invasion or is the game just five minutes long and all the other buildings and powerups are there to gently caress with you? People on other forums are being assholes with "quirky" comments.

The maker made a thread on SA awhile back. I might be misremembering, but I believe You can get the upgrades but it would take an impractically long amount of time and requires you to lose the first level after rescuing people before the aliens come. You can't got the other buildings; It was made for the Toronto Games Jam, which had a theme of "What happened!?" that year. I was sad too. The game was actually really cool and I'd wanted to try more. :v::hf::(

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I liked the bit where the red dude kept coming back with different forms. It reminded me of Doctor Robotnik's "Hurrdy hurr hurr I appear in every act with my Eggman ride!" bit. :v:

Edit: I just got to the "Still the the best" part and oh my god :laffo:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 10, 2011

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've got an edit where he's doing a thumbs up but the leather jacket is proving to be problematic.

So here's a gif of The Best Around I made on some site being cool. :cool:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Getting away from scary stories and back to hoaxes for a moment, I remember another one.

Maderley's Safe in Deus Ex.

One of the details of Manderley's office is his hidden safe. Behind his bookshelf, it waits, unopenable. If you used the ghost mode cheat, you could noclip into it and find that it contained a weapon mod; Zoom, I think. But you couldn't pick it up in ghost mode.

If there's a way to get inside, nobody knows. I know I've tried everything I could think of. Explosions, cheating, trying to manipulate the NPCs into break into it. Nothing works. :iiam:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

tree fell on truck posted:

There was one where the combination was never mentioned in game, but it got either brute-forced or someone found it in the source. Is this the same safe, or a different one? I haven't played DE in forever...

I don't think it's that one, but I do remember what you're talking about.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
As I am unable to play it, can someone explain Shrapnel to me?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

synthetik posted:

Wasn't the final boss just a giant version of a regular enemy?

edit: yep

IIRC, the regular versions are drunks and that guy is Super Drunk. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

BKPR posted:

I think the challenge with making a Killswitch game would be making Ghast's story so frustrating that no on one would try to finish it. Aside from making it literally impossible, I'm not sure how you could deter some very dedicated person from reaching the end and sharing it with everyone.

That being completely impossible, they could, you know, stray away from the story a little. :v: