Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The best parts of that story were definitely the unexplained parts. Still the best 1973, for one, and the strange, nonsensical levels. Oh, and selling the demon haunted cartridge on EBay for some sucker.

Chapter 8 went all downhill for me, though. As usual, I think trying to explain everything, and forcing in dead girlfriends / evil spirits, was its downfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rocketlex posted:

For what it's worth, my creepypasta continues to crawl along in spite of my work requiring me to work an assload of overtime.

Part 3! In which The Princess' horrible powers break Blogger's tables a bit.

Part 4! In which I finally get all the worldbuilding out of the way so we can get back to the scaries.

I'm digging the series. Looking forward to the next parts.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked that one. Nothing supernatural, no BLAST PROCESSING, just a really, really weird loving game. I'm sure someone around here could whip it up in a couple hours even.

If you feel like editing it, you might as well. I don't think anyone will fault your etiquette in either case.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was basically the first RPG I played. Quality of the game notwithstanding, I played the hell out of it, until I had pretty much every map and every encounter put to memory.

I used to also keep all my game boxes in as pristine condition as I could, displayed on a shelf like a collector, I guess. Now, on the back of the Mystic Quest box came a big mystery to me. All of the in-game screenshots featured new supporting characters, in dungeons that I've never seen. After seeing the new characters, who were at max level, I figured that there was some post end-game adventure waiting to be unlocked. I scoured the game trying to find how to unlock it - talking to every NPC multiple times throughout the game, looking for hidden paths in every wall and pressing A against everything solid.

I found a few weird things in the process. There were some tiles that should be passable, but where considered obstructions. This annoying but pretty simple bug frustrated me to no end. Ultimately, the search was fruitless, so I had one option left. The game ends with you and one of the supporting characters sailing off to lands unknown, for adventure and treasure hunting. The final shots of the game are of your ship sailing away. This would be the perfect place to have a post-game adventure, so I beat the game, and watched the end scene. I left it run for hours, waiting to see if they ever reach a new place, which they didn't.

Turns out the screenshots were just from a prototype copy of the game before the maps and characters were finalized...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been on a few hard Tetris Attack binges before, and that story reminded me of a lot of the side-effects. At the point where I could beat the very hard vs mode easily, and take down the highest level CPU vs opponent regularly, I'd visualize the game whenever I closed my eyes. I couldn't concentrate well on anything else because combos and reaction combos kept popping up, no matter what I was doing. I'd even get odd Tetris Attack nightmares where I'd just be dreaming vaguely about the game, and I'd gently caress up a combo or I'd get dumped on by a full-screen block, and jolt awake. After getting bored and putting the game away for a day things were back to normal.

gently caress, that game was awesome. And I bet that's what autism feels like...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm gonna get people mad at me for this but I have the same issues with the re-translation of FFT.

Yeah it's better in a lot of places but it's also hammy as poo poo and adds a lot of words that don't need to be there so it can sound fancy

I feel they went a little too far in that style for FFT, but their Tactics Ogre localization for PSP felt a lot more natural. It still had that pseudo-old English feel going on, but I think they had it at the right spot. Either way I like both translations of both games.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, he was pretty essential for a few parts. The best part was he was going to be replaced by the author's self-insert character, because it would be more lore-friendly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

NonsenseWords posted:

Since it just came up again, for anybody who doesn't know about the Secret of Evermore 'original plot', you can find it here. It's another of my personal favorites-- pulls in that era of old magazine screenshots and a story that juuuuust plausible enough (although the actual SoE developers have actually come out to deny it-- you can see one of them mention it in the comments of the blog).

There was also more exposition about the fictional Ed Kann in another blogspot story, interesting for being a similar bit of fictional lost media that hinges on obscurity and time to be just plausible enough to feel a little chilly.

(Bonus points that one of these blogs has a comment section where a guy named Ed Kann gets very angry and announces the story is false because he's Ed Kann, apparently unaware that people sometimes have the same name.)

There's also (presumably) Alan Weiss, producer of the game, also saying that the rumors were false. He brings up some other development trivia about the game further down the page. Mostly brief tidbits about the actual writer (George Sinfield), the lead art director (Daniel Dociu), and the composer (Jeremy Soule).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Friend posted:

Is there an origin for the "hyper realistic skeletons that looked like my family" thing or was that just a made-up example of garbage that someone might put in their story?

I think that's from an old super mario 64 creepypasta, but that might have been ribbing on that phrase by then.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I made Duke3D multiplayer maps like that. I'd have hidden control rooms around the map that had cameras looking in various hallways and rooms, and it was full of switches that would bring the ceilings down and crush anyone in them.

Also, air vents. Air vents everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is there a good writeup of PT anywhere? That pause screen thing was great, and I've always heard of the game in passing, but don't know all that much about it.