Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

.TakaM posted:

We goons should make one of these haunted games where it starts out normal but at some third wall breaking instance all the creepy possessed type poo poo starts.
I think it would be a genuinely interesting and entertaining experience that you have to learn to interact with it on a completely different level from what any typical game uses.

There was that game Majestic, which was like an ARG in that playing it involved receiving mysterious emails, IMs, phone calls, and faxes in real life.

*fourth wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

That Rough Beast posted:

I really think the videogame/ARG thing could be groundbreaking. It's probably niche, but it could use some exploring. And you could get a really creepy storyline out of it - the breaking of the fourth wall can be effective if used properly.

Tie-in ARGs for movies and games have really taken off, but they have the significant advantage of being free to play (supported by the marketing budget of a much larger property).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Freaky, or hilarious?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IrYfrOiCrY (especially 1:45 onward)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Silent Hill 2 did a pretty clever thing where several of the corpses you find throughout the game are James' character model only with the face obscured.

I think that's more a clever use of RAM than a clever use of presentation or psychology.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What's that monster that attacks him? It's been years but I don't recall anything like that from OOT or MM.

It's a miniboss in the Stone Tower.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is this where we put the snarky post about how the Sonic franchise having any life or value left is the greatest video game hoax?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What in the bloody hell.

He claims he's trying to get an agent to sell his tv show. I'm not incredibly aware of how television works but that doesn't quite strike me as realistic at all. "I wrote a story that scared 4chan, buy my show?"

It can happen. The @shitmydadsays twitter account is now a TV show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Saddest Rhino posted:

VVVV to be incredibly fair to shitmydadsays, that form of comedy of "my dad is crazy and makes everyone around him cringes" is more probable to strike a chord with a tv audience, as opposed to some haunted game which most people wouldn't have played. I like video games but couldn't even be bothered to find out what an "elegy of emptiness" is. Why would the average tv viewer do that?

I agree, but I doubt he's literally trying to sell this Majora's Mask story as his TV show. He's just going to use it for his portfolio as evidence that he's a creative person capable of following through and developing a good idea.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Darko posted:

It did. Oddly enough no, one believed me. That actually worked similarly with a few first gen Genesis games, I later found out, and I'm still not exactly sure how or why.

Pulling out the game during boot left data in certain places in the system's memory. The second game you put in was coded under the assumption that those places started out at zero, so when it read the leftovers from the first game and worked with what it found you ended up with the wrong number of lives.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

durtan posted:

*apparently Reggie is the first name of the Nintendo prez in N. America or something. :iiam:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Fils-Aime

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can have a bobblehead of your Mii on the dashboard of your spaceship in Metroid Prime 3. Nintendo wins.

Neither company will let your mii/avatar do anything violent or painful or inappropriate for an E-rated game in general, so both systems are kinda creatively hamstrung and turning your friends into serial killers definitely wouldn't fly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If it bothers you that much, you are literally an emo hipster.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

abigserve posted:

You can have your XBOX live avatar mii thing abomination hanging from your mirror in Dirt 2. Checkmate, nintendon't. :smug:

You can poke it with the wiimote :smugdog:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Right, the uncanny valley does not mean just "This looks creepy" but it's a phenomenon that only exists when you consider a wide range of human representations of varying accuracy and realism.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The 19th Person posted:

EDIT: If I remember correctly, there was a company somewhere in Europe that would simulate the experience of being kidnapped.

I don't understand how that business model could possibly work. Are you supposed to ignore that you hired them to kidnap you and just play along? Schedule it years it advance so it slips your mind? Buy it secretly for a friend who's always wanted to be kidnapped (thus making it a completely real, felonious kidnapping)?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Category Fun! posted:

Actually they ended up explaining away half the crazy poo poo in MGS4 or outright ignoring it (Although I heard that Kojima wanted to keep most of it in but wasn't allowed to).

The solution to every mystery in MGS2 turns out to be nanites or hypnosis or both.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

a japanese pop icon posted:

How can you hate the MGS plots? They're such obvious trolls (mixed with a coherent/serious idea every once in a while).

Some people like things they can enjoy unironically.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The first Splinter Cell had a fish tank that did that, but it was stationary.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Speaking of bizarrely detailed little touches, in Mass Effect 2 at the very beginning of Jack's loyalty mission you start outside in the rain. This is the only time in the game where it rains, and you're only outside for a few seconds, but if you zoom in close (and I was on the PC with maxed settings so everything looked better) there's this ridiculously well-done effect of water streaming off of your armor. It could just be a built-in ability of Unreal 3 that took 5 minutes to implement, but otherwise it was a gorgeous effect that served absolutely no purpose and the majority of gamers won't even notice.

Gears of War also had a beautiful rain effect, so it's either a built-in feature of Unreal 3 or a common piece of sample code Epic gives out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

I thought "Revolution" was the development codename for the Wii.

It was, but that was publicly known and appropriated by whoever made that video.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

furry drum circle posted:

I don't think this is a hoax but I can't for the life of me figure out what game I'm thinking of. On the N64 you could reset the neutral position of your analog stick, but if you set the neutral position to Down and let go of the stick, the real neutral would be like holding up. Then, hitting up afterwards in this game would result in the game taking "more up" as an input, which actually made an impact on gameplay. Like a race game going faster or something, but I forgot. Am I making this up? Does anyone know what game I'm talking about, or were there maybe even multiple games that did this?

There are quite a few games that can do this, if the programmers are a bit lazy. The stick circuitry tells the console the degree to which it is pushed, and the console biases this to figure out how far away from neutral it was. So if you let the console assume that "neutral" means the stick is at -45 degrees, and then push it up to 45 degrees, the console will tell the game that the stick is at 90 degrees. If the game determined your speed just by comparing where the stick was to 45 degrees, now you're going twice as fast as intended.

Smarter games will use different ranges of the stick to look up your speed in a preset table, so pushing the stick even farther cannot move you faster than the maximum speed the game designer chose. There's just a larger range of stick motion that means "maximum speed".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It could still be protected by punching a hole in the disk casing in the right spot, physically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ballrawg posted:

Wait what's the point of putting a code that requires you to have bought the game in an ARG? Aren't ARGs normally made to SELL products? I mean, by the time you're able to input the code you already own GUN, so why would you continue playing it?

It builds loyalty and keeps you paying attention to them. If they wanted to do a Gun 2, they would start promoting it there.