Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

The E-Wagon of the I-Future

Flython posted:

The second was a completed story that had two halves. The first dealt with a biker protecting his girlfriend or sister from a vampire/monster. I believe he looked very much like the main character from God Hand. The second half followed a student several years later. I can remember him being attacked by giant spiders and defeating the main villain with a mathematical formula. The biker from the original story also appeared wearing a zippered face mask.
This one is Majin Devil by Oh Great! of Tenjou Tenge and Air Gear fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Good lord, I vaguely remember that show. The only thing I remember at all is that one of the monsters was named "Fried Ricer", and he would constantly yell "FFFFRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIED RICAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!"

That's pretty much all I remember about it too.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Bandwidth Wagon posted:

This one is Majin Devil by Oh Great! of Tenjou Tenge and Air Gear fame.

Thank you very much. Would you recommend his other works? (Sorry if this is too far of topic)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm a huge fan of Oh! Great's work, especially Tenjou Tenge. It's got its upside and its downsides parts, but it starts off pretty good, then gets really amazingly good, then stays pretty drat good for a rest of the run. I recommend giving it a chance up to the "past arc" and seeing what you think. It's certainly my favorite "There Are Fighting Kids At A Fighting School And They Fight" manga by a long shot.

I don't think Air Gear lives up to that level of greatness, but it certainly is at least 120% as insane, and I wouldn't say I regret reading it so far.

Basically, his other stuff is mostly good in the same ways that Majin Devil is good (fights, backgrounds, humor) and bad in a few of the same ways it's bad (contant t&a, occasional misogyny, inability to resist complicating the setting).

(On a related note, I had actually never heard of Majin Devil until it was mentioned in this thread, and now that I've read it, except for an early :gonk: moment, I approve. It's short, and it's nothing spectacular, but I found the characters likeable and the story tolerable.)

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Thank you Hawkins, I'll be sure to check them out. It was nice reliving the fond memories I had of the Majin series and of the Professor character so thanks again Bandwidth Wagon.

Flython fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 18, 2011

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm a huge fan of Oh! Great's work, especially Tenjou Tenge. It's got its upside and its downsides parts

Upside: Art
Downside: Plot

Seriously, I love his art, but eventually I just can't take his (lack of) plot.

I keep hoping that one day he'll partner with a good writer and make something that absolutely blows everybody's socks off.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Tenjo Tenge has an awesome plot (and story), though?

I admit that said plot very clearly changed over the course of the comic, and that it's more than a bit ridiculous, but the same can be said of even better works.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Some years back I saw an AMV done with Evanescence - Going Under that had footage from an anime series I've never been able to identify. The images that really stood out were small girls standing in fields with red flower petals falling/blowing in the wind all around them. It went very well with the music, but unfortunately I don't have the video any more and my efforts to find it based on the music track have been unsuccessful. I do know that it is NOT Revolutionary Girl Utena, which seemed similar at first but I'm sure it's not it.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Daryl Surat posted:

Broken Saints wasn't anime :colbert:

It's not about dreams, but the only thing post-Paprika anime title I can think of which involves theft and alteration of people's thoughts would be the TV series Kaiba. To my knowledge, a show like that which was never released in the US was never discussed on NPR proper, but perhaps you were listening to a local show.

It's not that... Maybe I'll figure it out somehow. Thanks for the reply though.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Some years back I saw an AMV done with Evanescence - Going Under that had footage from an anime series I've never been able to identify. The images that really stood out were small girls standing in fields with red flower petals falling/blowing in the wind all around them. It went very well with the music, but unfortunately I don't have the video any more and my efforts to find it based on the music track have been unsuccessful. I do know that it is NOT Revolutionary Girl Utena, which seemed similar at first but I'm sure it's not it.

Probably Shamanic Princess, which shares quite a bit of staff in common with Rayearth's animated series as well as Outlaw Star.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

I guess there's a lot of animes with small girls + petals flying around, but it could be from the Higurashi opening :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHKmiRwyBU

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

GoldenNugget posted:

It's not that... Maybe I'll figure it out somehow. Thanks for the reply though.

I looked into animes that were supposedly like Paprika and I thought that these three sounded the closest to what you could be thinking of:

Kuuchuu Buranko

Yume Tsukai

King of Thorn

Flython posted:

Thank you. I knew it wasn't obscure like the others but I just could not recall the name.

I hate to do this but thinking so much about series I never finished has left me with one more request. It was a manga with a battling system based on summoning monsters from cards or possibly souls. I believe each character had only one or a small number of monsters. I can remember their being an attack inside a shopping mall and a deadly tournament inside a tower with artificial environments. I think the evil organization used robotic monsters to attack the protagonists home at one point.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on the thread in the unlikely event that I can help someone else as repayment.

Bakegyamon maybe?

AfroGunsou fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 5, 2011

jhennauchan
Apr 21, 2010
What's the manga about the robot girl who's waiting for her master to come back and it's vaguely post-apocalyptic?
I read the first chapter at one point and I know the title was really long. I wanted to actually read more of it now.

VVVV That's it! Thanks! VVVV

jhennauchan fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 5, 2011

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

jhennauchan posted:

What's the manga about the robot girl who's waiting for her master to come back and it's vaguely post-apocalyptic?
I read the first chapter at one point and I know the title was really long. I wanted to actually read more of it now.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Sir Gladu posted:

I guess there's a lot of animes with small girls + petals flying around, but it could be from the Higurashi opening :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHKmiRwyBU

Nope.

Gearhead posted:

Probably Shamanic Princess, which shares quite a bit of staff in common with Rayearth's animated series as well as Outlaw Star.

Not this one, either.

They were tiny girls, standing in fields with red petals flying around them. Is there a good site for AMVs I could search, maybe?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

animemusicvideos.org Lets you search by song. They don't host videos though. The first one for Evanescence - Going Under is Cardcaptor Sakura which would probably be a decent guess because they do the cherry blossom peddles thing a lot.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

They were tiny girls, standing in fields with red petals flying around them. Is there a good site for AMVs I could search, maybe?

Shamanic Princess has a scene that's a flashback (kinda) where the characters are all children again. I say 'kinda' because of the sheer levels of :psyduck: in the show. And there IS a very popular scene for AMVs where they're back in that field of red flowers again.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I'm looking for a funny dojin of fate stay night where Shirou summons Berserker instead of Saber. Berserker asks Shirou for magic energy, but it's through the sphincter.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Good luck with that.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
There's nothing remotely sexual in it, if that's what you are thinking.

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

The E-Wagon of the I-Future
If it's a translated fate/stay doujin, you might find it here. Unfortunately all of the thumbnails are down but the download links seem to still work.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I remember as a kid (meaning early nineties) seeing a comedy cartoon series about a fat Godzilla-like dinosaur who ate metal and lived with a conspicuously japanese family. There was also a smaller girl dinosaur who I think hatched from an egg at some point.

It could have been French for all I know, but that seems unlikely given the premise.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mY6QXbx67Q

This it? "I'm Guzura" produced by Tatsunoko.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Guyver posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mY6QXbx67Q

This it? "I'm Guzura" produced by Tatsunoko.

Yes! This is it, thank you. It had been bugging me for a while.

Christ, this show is even weirder than I remembered it being.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

L-O-N posted:

There's nothing remotely sexual in it, if that's what you are thinking.

L-O-N posted:

Berserker asks Shirou for magic energy, but it's through the sphincter.

We may be working from different definitions of "remotely"!

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Maybe he is just a kappa. Nothing sexual about kappas.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
This has been bugging me for awhile, but what is That Anime (aka, the anime that can't be named)? All I could think of was School Days (my least favourite show I've ever watched) but this forum seems to actually have a soft spot for it. It can't be any worse than School Days, can it? :ohdear:

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

Mad Lupine posted:

This has been bugging me for awhile, but what is That Anime (aka, the anime that can't be named)? All I could think of was School Days (my least favourite show I've ever watched) but this forum seems to actually have a soft spot for it. It can't be any worse than School Days, can it? :ohdear:

it's an anime about third graders who want to have sex with their teacher. its not to be named for a good reason.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Oh that one. Well, I guess it is worse than School Days... by A LOT. Thanks for humouring me.

TabulaRasa
Nov 17, 2005

Ready to fight for right, against wrong!
I'm looking for what I think was/is a Korean animated series or movie possibly. I realize that does not narrow it down but the only scene I can remember involves a guy with a bad rear end motorcycle pulling up to the top of some stairs and a giant acrobatic fire fight ensues against him and like a zillion other little creature things as he is trying to rescue a girl. He finally kills all the little creatures and just as he's about to whisk the girl away on his motorcycle a sniper creature shoots him in the head and that's all I recall...

The art was really stylized and bizarre even.

Much appreciated!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

TabulaRasa posted:

I'm looking for what I think was/is a Korean animated series or movie possibly. I realize that does not narrow it down but the only scene I can remember involves a guy with a bad rear end motorcycle pulling up to the top of some stairs and a giant acrobatic fire fight ensues against him and like a zillion other little creature things as he is trying to rescue a girl. He finally kills all the little creatures and just as he's about to whisk the girl away on his motorcycle a sniper creature shoots him in the head and that's all I recall...

The art was really stylized and bizarre even.

Much appreciated!

I've only seen the trailer for it, but this has gotta be Aachi and Ssipak.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Mad Lupine posted:

Kodomo no Jikan

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

We may be working from different definitions of "remotely"!

As in there's no sex, no nudity, and only jokes. That enough for remotely?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

helopticor posted:

It's also gotta be next on my to-watch list, from the sound of it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's also gotta be next on my to-watch list, from the sound of it.

It's not really that good to be honest; it has one joke and runs it into the ground (which is centered around poo poo). The animation is interesting but it would have been better as a short rather than a movie.

TabulaRasa
Nov 17, 2005

Ready to fight for right, against wrong!

helopticor posted:

That's the one, thank you very much!

Edit> Woah, I did not remember the entire story line revolved around constipation and making GBS threads. This is way out there for content but the animation is certainly entertaining. I think the first time I saw pieces of it, it had not been subtitled so I had no idea what was happening.

TabulaRasa fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 23, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Pro tip y'all: the whole point of "don't talk about that anime" was for people to not talk about it. I honestly don't care if people refer to Kodomo no Jikan by name, I wasn't even the one who made that rule (it was Menacer). I just don't particularly want people talking about the bloody thing at all. Which is the point everyone seems to be missing.

Going THAT ANIME *holds extended conversation about it anyways* defeats the point.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
No idea where this gif is from but she looks :smug: and to my mind there's a correlation between at least a funny anime when there's a smug girl in it.

Anyone know where its from?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Raenir Salazar posted:

Looks like Bamboo Blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Huh. So it is, I can't believe I didn't recognize it. Thanks.

• Locked thread