Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I liked the part in Boxtrolls where the guy got all puffy because of cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
yeah like im gonna listen to a podcast as long as the goofy movie when I can just watch the goofy movie. like I need to be told about the relevance of goofy dressing like a woman when.... when its already affected me...... so much.........

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Getting called slurs for homosexual people is all the payment I need!

What does this have to do with anything?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The only boxtrolls here are the PUA MRA shitlords trolling this thread
..!

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
thebigbudgetsequel, what bothers you about a man dressing as a woman

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it's perfectly fair to talk about trans representation in Boxtrolls (the old "man in dress deceiving men into sex" gag was lovely way back in Ace Ventura and it's lovely now), but waving vaguely towards an entire social network (which doesn't even represent a singular community with a homogenous perspective on this stuff) is a silly way to back it up.

It's sincerely wonderful that many people on this site are still pissy about Ace Ventura two full decades after its release.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Uh the amount of time that's passed is the entire point of choosing that example.

As in "Oh hey, movies haven't gotten any smarter about this poo poo than they were 20 years ago, that's pathetic".

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
It's insanely funny when men wear women's clothing, due to how I'll fitting and culturally uncomfortable it is.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Uh the amount of time that's passed is the entire point of choosing that example.

As in "Oh hey, movies haven't gotten any smarter about this poo poo than they were 20 years ago, that's pathetic".

have you ever heard of priscilla queen of the desert

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Judge Clayjar posted:

have you ever heard of priscilla queen of the desert

No... Marvel or DC? What are her super powers?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

About 20 miles to the gallon.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

what's a goon to a goblin tho?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Lmao

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Supply and demand

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

raspy trashfucker posted:

thebigbudgetsequel, what bothers you about a man dressing as a woman

well, raspy trashfucker, since you asked, nothing bothers me about it.

Drag doesn't bother me in the slightest when it's done respectfully. The example in this movie makes drag look to be a bad thing and that those who do it are tricksters and hucksters looking merely to fool. In most cases this is not true. Transvestites and all people of trans lifestyles should not be the butt of a joke, but this movie took the cheap way out and made humor at their expense.

Thanks for your question, raspy trashfucker.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Are you talking about Goof Troop right now?

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

Drag doesn't bother me in the slightest when it's done respectfully. The example in this movie makes drag look to be a bad thing and that those who do it are tricksters and hucksters looking merely to fool. In most cases this is not true. Transvestites and all people of trans lifestyles should not be the butt of a joke, but this movie took the cheap way out and made humor at their expense.

even children wouldnt be dumb enough to extrapolate the actions of a single character into the sweeping generalizations youre talking about, so how is this a real problem

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

how do you feel about silence of the lambs

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

lol

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

ayy lmao

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Ebert's review of Irreversible says

quote:

The party scenes, and the revealing dress, are seen in hindsight as a risk that should not have been taken. Instead of making Alex look sexy and attractive, they make her look vulnerable and in danger. While it is true that a woman should be able to dress as she pleases, it is not always wise.

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

you'd have a point if transvestites being charlatans was a real stereotype and not just a cliched plot device

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice
when i see a man wearing a dress i think, oh great, this shifty trickster is going to try to pull one over on me

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Chilled Cap posted:

when i see a man wearing a dress i think, oh great, this shifty trickster is going to try to pull one over on me

Don't have so much money in your wallet when you park in the alley with him next time.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

lol

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lmao of course

A FUCKIN BONG BOMB
Apr 6, 2006

Lmao how's that niggas arm even bend like that lol

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

James Hardon posted:

(0 Comments)

lol. every single episode of the podcast has 0

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I legit want to know if you actually think any kid seeing this will go "wow the bad guy wore a dress...every filthy tranny is out to trick and swindle me!" Like, is this just a thing where we need a reason to smugly sneer at the only kids movie studio to make a film last year with a gay character at all, let alone one posed as a totally normal run of the mill dude who happened to like dudes for not REALLY being progressive or what?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Chilled Cap posted:

lol. every single episode of the podcast has 0

Hey you got to record 81+ episodes to really break into the '2 Grown Men talk about Cartoon Movies' racket.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

I don't get it, do you like the slurs because you're a homosexual?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

lmfao

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

is this really him

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ebert's review of Irreversible says

I just think it's so weird because he's simultaneously saying both "Well, of course women should be able to wear whatever they want." and "Shouldn't have worn that if she didn't wanna get raped"

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
rename current releases The Importance of Seeing Ernest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
It's cool that actual drag performers like Divine and RuPaul have a sense of humor about what they do but Adult Man Who Reviews Children's Cartoons gets insanely uncomfortable over the idea that a man in a dress is kind of funny.

• Locked thread