Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The essence of the criticism of the criticism that has been ongoing, at least on my part, is that it is bad. It is not good. It is really not very informative. It is not that it is bad to "care".

If you actually legitimately care about film, there is a good chance you do not post about it on this web site, because if you look at the movie forum (or the book forum, etc) you see that largely there's an incredible fixation on really childish products (and they are usually products rather than films) with a corresponding lack of taste. I'm sure it's an idea that's unfamiliar to you, as a grown man who wants to surgically replace his dick and balls with a coin operated motorised Donald Duck ride who is about 3 wispy chin hairs away from being a convicted rapist, but when criticism is coming from a really juvenile place about a less-juvenile subject it can seem very superficial and difficult to respect. Like when they allow kids to do news reports on the actual news.

This is one side of the coin here. Some of the reviewers present as, essentially, children of varying extreme largeness. But even if you read what they have to say about children's movies, it's still incredibly basic analysis of a film seen through a lens of a culture who are obsessed with identity politics in all things.

For example, if you read this week's review of The Boxtrolls, all you will learn is:

- The reviewer liked Coraline and Paranorman, but this film has a worse story
- There are trolls who wear boxes, also there are two characters who have names
- The film is nominally about the trolls who wear boxes, however it focuses on one of them who isn't REALLY a troll, but is actually a boy. This is a "big problem".
- The villain is avaristic and ugly. He pretends to be a woman, this is also a big problem, but we're not told why. Just that tumblr dislikes that and they're right to do so.
- The animation is good, kids will like it.

The only thing gleaned from this review that you won't get from the trailer is a number score and at some point a man wears a dress. It's an 800 word sideways glance at a movie and it really does not do a good job reviewing it outside of conveying the general sentiment that it's sort of not bad. I don't respect this, and I don't much care what this person has to say about other movies especially if they're more complicated than this movie for 6-year-olds.

On top of which the reviews are completely joyless, on a comedy web site. It's not just that it's really out of place, it's poorly executed in its own right. I'm not trying to illegally troll or insult them so please do not electronically beat me up, but I don't think they're cut out for this.

Thank you for reading this wearying post. As a reward, here is a picture of the cast of Duck Tales taking public transport so you can finally blast the biggest load of your life you mewling piece of poo poo idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The essence of the criticism of the criticism that has been ongoing, at least on my part, is that it is bad. It is not good. It is really not very informative. It is not that it is bad to "care".

If you actually legitimately care about film, there is a good chance you do not post about it on this web site, because if you look at the movie forum (or the book forum, etc) you see that largely there's an incredible fixation on really childish products (and they are usually products rather than films) with a corresponding lack of taste. I'm sure it's an idea that's unfamiliar to you, as a grown man who wants to surgically replace his dick and balls with a coin operated motorised Donald Duck ride who is about 3 wispy chin hairs away from being a convicted rapist, but when criticism is coming from a really juvenile place about a less-juvenile subject it can seem very superficial and difficult to respect. Like when they allow kids to do news reports on the actual news.

This is one side of the coin here. Some of the reviewers present as, essentially, children of varying extreme largeness. But even if you read what they have to say about children's movies, it's still incredibly basic analysis of a film seen through a lens of a culture who are obsessed with identity politics in all things.

For example, if you read this week's review of The Boxtrolls, all you will learn is:

- The film is nominally about the trolls who wear boxes, however it focuses on one of them who isn't REALLY a troll, but is actually a boy. This is a "big problem".
- The villain is avaristic and ugly. He pretends to be a woman, this is also a big problem, but we're not told why. Just that tumblr dislikes that and they're right to do so.

The only thing gleaned from this review that you won't get from the trailer is a number score and at some point a man wears a dress. It's an 800 word sideways glance at a movie and it really does not do a good job reviewing it outside of conveying the general sentiment that it's sort of not bad. I don't respect this, and I don't much care what this person has to say about other movies especially if they're more complicated than this movie for 6-year-olds.

On top of which the reviews are completely joyless, on a comedy web site. It's not just that it's really out of place, it's poorly executed in its own right. I'm not trying to illegally troll or insult them so please do not electronically beat me up, but I don't think they're cut out for this.

Thank you for reading this wearying post. As a reward, here is a picture of the cast of Duck Tales taking public transport so you can finally blast the biggest load of your life you mewling piece of poo poo idiot

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Powerful.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Preemptively: Free Triticum Guzzler

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

client
Aug 19, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Ruddha posted:

Powerful.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Ruddha posted:

Powerful.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001
Mondo ownage.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCHbF9lG3lE&t=27s

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

why is a large piece of poop pictured directly beneath the union jack

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
it's donald duck's hat

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kPII561-GY

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
You're not allowed on the bus if you're a poopy boy.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Ruddha posted:

Powerful.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Ruddha posted:

Powerful.

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

Ruddha posted:

Powerful.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Triticum Guzzler posted:

You're a good person

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

tehloki posted:

good eye.

Did you just say "g'day"?

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

Ruddha posted:

Powerful.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Koos Goop posted:

Did you just say "g'day"?

donald duck isn't even IN duck tales

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
My idea for a sa Review section is lyle's corner:
the writer goes through lyle's post history in phiz and copys posts about which movies and books are deece in his eyes. That would be a lot better than what's going on right now.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Harsh, but fair.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
99 new posts?! How--oh wait, they're arguing.

Looking forward to this weeks review set. I don't even know about most of these movies until they get reviewed.

I have to thank CR for their Paranorman review years ago, I really need to see that movie again. Bummer to hear that the studio's latest project was a flop, but I guess they can't all be winners. And I find myself intrigued by the review of Skeleton Twins, if only because of the depression angle. Doesn't sound like something I would watch myself, but kudos to the movie for having the balls to treat depression as something that you can't magically cure.

(Somewhat unrelatedly, do you guys know when the CD thread where they are assigned a movie and a theme is happening?)

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
whoa, is that what the real posts in this forum are like
i guess that's what you get when you have a rule against criticism

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ruddha posted:

Powerful.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ruddha posted:

Powerful.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

CantDecideOnAName posted:

Looking forward to this weeks review set. I don't even know about most of these movies until they get reviewed.

I have to thank CR for their Paranorman review years ago, I really need to see that movie again. Bummer to hear that the studio's latest project was a flop, but I guess they can't all be winners. And I find myself intrigued by the review of Skeleton Twins, if only because of the depression angle. Doesn't sound like something I would watch myself, but kudos to the movie for having the balls to treat depression as something that you can't magically cure.

(Somewhat unrelatedly, do you guys know when the CD thread where they are assigned a movie and a theme is happening?)

Powerful.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

CantDecideOnAName posted:

snored loudly irl at your post

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

good grief!

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Is it fascism yet posted:

the writer goes through lyle's post history in phiz and copys posts about which movies and books are deece in his eyes. That would be a lot better than what's going on right now.

I'd read that.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Duncan ftw

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Is it fascism yet posted:

I think it'd be pretty cool if lyle did a review - something for the authors to consider.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Jesus christ

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

no they will not posted:

I think it'd be pretty cool if lyle did a review - something for the authors to consider.

if they replaced the "minority report" bits with anything written by lyle, regardless of applicability to the subject, it would be good

A FUCKIN BONG BOMB
Apr 6, 2006
Duncan is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

if they replaced the "minority report" bits with anything written by lyle, regardless of applicability to the subject, it would be good

• Locked thread