Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ChewyLSB posted:

Lair and Ninja Gaiden Sigma are also 1080p.

Also, one accessory that I love for my PS3 and should be included:

HIGH HEELS FOR YOUR GOD drat CONTROLLERS

No but seriously I love these things. I remap everything to the shoulder buttons and these really help. These alone upped my Warhawk game by quite a bit.

Just got these in and drat do they own. Feels so much better than stock and I can actually sit the controller down in Demon's Souls without worrying about accidentally wasting some npc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

dis astranagant posted:

Just got these in and drat do they own. Feels so much better than stock and I can actually sit the controller down in Demon's Souls without worrying about accidentally wasting some npc.

:gonk: I actually killed Stockpile Thomas like this once.

paradocks
Jul 8, 2006
It's driving me crazy; it's like a mind puzzle, an awesome mind puzzle.
Does anybody have any info on when Sony will release the firmware update to support 3d blurays? Up until recently I've heard and read it would be sometime in September, but I just saw an article on cnet saying the update has been delayed until sometime in October. Anyone have some more solid info on this?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Bloodnose posted:

So the long and short of my question is: Is it safe to plug my CECH-2101A PS3 into a Hong Kong wall socket without one of those very expensive 500-amp step-down transformers?

In case it helps anyone else, I sucked it up, held my breath, plugged it in and it turns out it's good to go.

Phew.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008

MUFFlNS posted:

They laid off a buttload of staff and the remaining ones got sent to work in the same building as Evolution Studios (Motorstorm series). So unless Sony ever gets bored of Motorstorm games don't expect another Wipeout game ever :(
That officially bugs the snot out of me. Wipeout HD + Fury is one of the best games I've ever played and probably represents the best value for money you'll ever going to get on PS3. The treatment it got (being used to push PSN as a download platform and then released unceremoniously on disc a year later) was ridiculously bad and if it was properly marketed I'm sure it would be just as much a hit as something like Motorstorm.

Tanri Fen
Jan 9, 2007

by toby

Yechezkel posted:

Here is another accessory that many people may be interested in:

Power A's Pro Elite Wireless Controller with concave L2/R2 buttons, concave analog sticks, and swapped positions of the directional buttons and left analog stick. It has rumble and Sixaxis support, but no Bluetooth. It uses a USB dongle, and it has a built-in rechargeable battery that can be charged up with a USB cable.

Both Amazon and Toys R Us have it for $35 this week.

drat that's nice, think I will be getting one of those when I have some spare cash.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Yechezkel posted:

Power A's Pro Elite Wireless Controller
It feels great and seems to be built pretty well. The only reason I wouldn't buy this is that there's no switch that lets you swap the functions of L1/L2 and R1/R2 for games that don't let you map "Fire" to L2/R2 which, for me, defeats the purpose of buying a 360 clone controller in the first place. I don't think the Nyko Raven has a switch for that either.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Roman posted:

It feels great and seems to be built pretty well. The only reason I wouldn't buy this is that there's no switch that lets you swap the functions of L1/L2 and R1/R2 for games that don't let you map "Fire" to L2/R2 which, for me, defeats the purpose of buying a 360 clone controller in the first place. I don't think the Nyko Raven has a switch for that either.

Playing Uncharted using the bumpers on a 360 controller for aiming and firing would get old pretty quick. I'm not sure the stiffer sticks and weightier feel are worth it for the few shooters (which is the genre where the 360 controller really shines I think) only available on the PS3.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've never personally had a problem with the triggers but for stuff like fighters they're annoying as hell. The PS2 had the excellent InterAct Storm Chaser 2, but I think they were bankrupt by the time the PS3 launched.

Does anyone know how bad the debug hack is? I heard someone say that it only plays games up to early 2009. Is that true, or is the platform irreparably rooted?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 6, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Does anyone know how bad the debug hack is? I heard someone say that it only plays games up to early 2009. Is that true, or is the platform irreparably rooted?

That was me who said that and progress on this has been rapidly growing. Leaps and bounds pretty much. Newer games are totally playable now.

As it is right now, 47 known games cannot be played from an external drive, and 23 from internal.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
An external drive is probably only preferable to the physical disc if you're really worried about your drive motor or the game is streaming-heavy. Am I missing something?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Shumagorath posted:

An external drive is probably only preferable to the physical disc if you're really worried about your drive motor or the game is streaming-heavy. Am I missing something?

No disc swapping I'd guess.

I haven't followed this stuff on the PS3 much but anyone who runs backups on a Wii will tell you that if a game runs well from the external hard drive then there's basically no way in which the physical disc is "preferable". It really cuts down on load times for some games too.

It's pretty game specific though, and it will be interesting to see how this stuff works with DLC for instance.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bubble-T posted:

It's pretty game specific though, and it will be interesting to see how this stuff works with DLC for instance.

The games become unplayable if you download any updates or DLC for them.

Dazzo
Jun 22, 2006

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

I read a review of the Fragnstein which said it has a noticable dead zone when playing MW2 - is this true? The reviewer said he has played with XIM, fragFX, and this thing, and that the best he could come up with was Fragnstein+XIM.

Does anyone also have any experience with XIM? I have a laptop sitting next to my TV at all times anyways to play videos, so I was considering trying that out. I don't know a reliable place to pick one up though.

The XIM is as close as you can possibly get to 1:1 mouse movements on your ps3. I bought a fragnstein before I built my XIM and haven't touched it since my XIM has been operational.

When it comes to getting a XIM, the easiest thing to do is to just buy the parts and build it yourself. There are instructions online (skip to the assembly section of the directions) to help you put the thing together.

Here's a list of all components and links to where to get them (these are the same exact parts I used for mine)
$25.92 Tool stick (with USB extension cord)
$7.50 Plastic Enclosure (not required but HIGHLY recommended)
$3.29 PS2 to PS3 adapter (You don't need to buy that Yobo poo poo, this thing is dirt cheap and works just as well)
$0.60 PS2 extension cord

Total cost is $37.31 (does not factor shipping).

Once it's built go to the XIM1 section here to get the software and configurations. Plug the sucker in and enjoy using a mouse and keyboard on your ps3. Oh and protip, on your keyboard, up+backspace is the PSButton. Took me a couple of hours of frustration wondering why my ps3 couldn't detect my setup only to realize I needed to hit up+backspace to turn the "controller" on.

Dazzo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 10, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

I said come in! posted:

The games become unplayable if you download any updates or DLC for them.
Well, that's not quite as good a deterrent as losing your PSN account, but it's a start.

Bubble-T posted:

No disc swapping I'd guess.

I haven't followed this stuff on the PS3 much but anyone who runs backups on a Wii will tell you that if a game runs well from the external hard drive then there's basically no way in which the physical disc is "preferable". It really cuts down on load times for some games too.

Maybe I'm highly overestimating the bandwidth of the BDROM compared to USB.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

I've never personally had a problem with the triggers but for stuff like fighters they're annoying as hell. The PS2 had the excellent InterAct Storm Chaser 2, but I think they were bankrupt by the time the PS3 launched.

I had my first problem with them recently. Mafia 2 has no deadzone on them, the slightest touch makes you fire. I walked out of my house and very lightly brushed the trigger and that brought 4 cop cars to my door.

Shumagorath posted:

Well, that's not quite as good a deterrent as losing your PSN account, but it's a start.

They probably still will. Sony is most likely waiting to do a big wave of them.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I had my first problem with them recently. Mafia 2 has no deadzone on them, the slightest touch makes you fire. I walked out of my house and very lightly brushed the trigger and that brought 4 cop cars to my door.
But you can't equip weapons while inside your house? Did you get your gun out after walking out of your house? :monocle:

(I've only played the PC version so maybe the PS3 version is different in that regard)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

gibbed posted:

But you can't equip weapons while inside your house? Did you get your gun out after walking out of your house? :monocle:

It might have remembered what weapon I had equipped last mission or something.

I had no idea what was happening either. I wasn't looking at the character at the time and heard gunshots going off, then noticed I was shooting at my car for no reason.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Shumagorath posted:

If worse comes to worst, couldn't Sony just start putting filler data on Blu-ray discs to fill out space? downloading a 25gb-50gb is a ditterant for piracy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Simstim posted:

If worse comes to worst, couldn't Sony just start putting filler data on Blu-ray discs to fill out space? downloading a 25gb-50gb is a ditterant for piracy.

If the 90's warez scene taught me anything it's that filler data would not last long. If it's non-random it will compress easily, but if it's random the ripping groups will find ways to strip it out. Making the game actually check that code will introduce console gamers to the wonders of early SafeDisc versions, which knowing Sony will sound like a great idea.

There would still be the rental and used market, although Gamestop would probably benefit from making used games a final sale and forcing people to sell back instead of returning.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 6, 2010

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

french lies posted:

That officially bugs the snot out of me. Wipeout HD + Fury is one of the best games I've ever played and probably represents the best value for money you'll ever going to get on PS3. The treatment it got (being used to push PSN as a download platform and then released unceremoniously on disc a year later) was ridiculously bad and if it was properly marketed I'm sure it would be just as much a hit as something like Motorstorm.

Truth.

The announcement of Wipeout HD was the primary reason that I bought a PS3. Now I write for a playstation-specific site and the back of my business card is a shot I took in Wipeout's photo mode (it's a sweet pic of the Fury version of Goteki 45).

Wipeout should have been treated like a system seller. I'm talking TV commercials and ads in movie theaters. I mean seriously, hearing that 5.1 mixed music on a theater sound system? gently caress yeah.

It's so drat good, and Fury is just ridiculous in how much value it adds.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Pretty much sold me my PS3 and 5.1 system. The constant delays and lack of information were so agonising though.

I'm pretty sure it's by far my most-played PS3 game. I've put over 30 hours into it and I'm still nowhere near done with it.

The multiplayer community seems to have resurged though recently. There was a period where I could never find games, but every time I've started it up in the last two months there have been a good dozen or so lobbies going.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 6, 2010

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

teethgrinder posted:

The multiplayer community seems to have resurged though recently. There was a period where I could never find games, but every time I've started it up in the last two months there have been a good dozen or so lobbies going.

Yup, and they're full of race wizards who completely annihilate me every time. That never makes me quit, though. I'll just keep banging my head against it until I feel like I make a less shameful showing. Then I'm like "yeah, fastest lap, dawgs" :smug:

Nevermind that I still came in last.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Shumagorath posted:

New anti-piracy measure: Ship every game with a fatal bug and patch it out on day 1.

Shumagorath posted:

Maybe I'm highly overestimating the bandwidth of the BDROM compared to USB.
Nah it's quite possible that Blu-ray accesses information fast enough that you won't get any transfer benefit from USB. I don't know much about all that stuff.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

New anti-piracy measure: Ship every game with a fatal bug and patch it out on day 1.

Nah it's quite possible that Blu-ray accesses information fast enough that you won't get any transfer benefit from USB. I don't know much about all that stuff.

USB connections are fairly slow and unstable, so I have my doubts that they make all that good of a substitute. I don't know the data transfer specs on the ps3's BD-ROM drive, but it has to be pretty drat fast with how big some of the games are. e: Wikipedia says the BD drive is ~9 MB/s, which is well within USB 2.0 specs, though USB devices are a pretty comical array of never adhering to spec so you never know what you really get. It should work decently enough.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 6, 2010

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Something interesting I just read about PS Jailbreak is that the next release for it (firmware or whatever) will allow you to play backups of PS2 games on any model of PS3, even Slims. I guess Sony really were just holding back backwards compatability to try and make a little cash with HD rereleases of games such as God of War and Sly Cooper :(

Edit: Apparently the next update will also add support for playback of .MKV files and the update after that will bring back Linux support. I wonder how long until they bring us crossgame chat too? At this rate the PSJailbreak people are bringing out the features PS3 owners have wanted for years in a matter of weeks :pwn:

MUFFlNS fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 6, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MUFFlNS posted:

Something interesting I just read about PS Jailbreak is that the next release for it (firmware or whatever) will allow you to play backups of PS2 games on any model of PS3, even Slims. I guess Sony really were just holding back backwards compatability to try and make a little cash with HD rereleases of games such as God of War and Sly Cooper :(

This sounds like bullshit to me, I would be really surprised if this were true. I suppose it is possible, but putting that one in the category of over excited freeloaders that just want to pirate games. You have to be careful what you read on a lot of these homebrew websites, their communities can be pretty dumb.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

To be honest from what they're saying (which is basically "Hey we'll have PS2 emulation shortly!") I'm under the impression that they know what they're doing and aren't bullshitting at all. I just hope that they make some real progress here with the PS3. I mean playing backups is one thing sure, but if they're gonna be bringing back PS2 support, .MKV playback, Linux and hopefully more stuff (emulators for old home consoles and MAME etc) then I'll gladly pick one of these things up. Originally I assumed they were just setting out to allow people to play copied games but now that they're demonstrating an interest in actually bringing really useful features that PS3 owners have been wanting for years I'm interested in what they're doing.

We've already seen great things come from PSP custom firmware (one example being custom soundtracks for every PSP game) so I'm hoping the PS3 really opens up to a lot of great things now.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Judging by muscle nerds Twitter, you can now jailbreak your PS3 with a calculator!

MuscleNerd PS3 jailbreak has been ported to common classroom calculator (TI-84+/SE), courtesy of @brandonlwilson http://is.gd/eXju3
about 2 hours ago

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A PS2 is still cheaper than a Jailbreak.

I said come in! posted:

This sounds like bullshit to me, I would be really surprised if this were true. I suppose it is possible, but putting that one in the category of over excited freeloaders that just want to pirate games. You have to be careful what you read on a lot of these homebrew websites, their communities can be pretty dumb.

It's possible they're just making stuff up so people will stick with the "official" product instead of making their own knock-off.

The thing's on its way to becoming officially illegal in the US too though, so unless they plan on releasing their updates for free (Which is unlikely since the official Jailbreak is clearly all about the money) it won't really matter what they claim they can do.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
So, in doing the preventative maintenance linked on page 2, I managed to do it in such a way that the PS3 is louder than ever before. I opened it again, figuring I had put too little thermal compound on the processors, when I find that I've screwed them in too tight and have apparently ruined the heads of the super-special screws that hold one of the pressure plates in place, so it seems it's gonna get louder and louder until I get YLOD.

What do I do in a case of transferring data from a functioning system, but wanting to keep the hard-drive from the first one? Would I just have to do 2 transfers, or does the data stay on the old hard drive as well and I can just change it out after it transfers all the system information?

e: Or, can I just activate the system with my account and move the HD?

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 7, 2010

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

You'll have to do the system transfer, then back up the data from the new system, then install the HDD from the old machine into the new one, then restore the backup.

It's a pain, but really the only way to transfer both the data and the HDD.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
New firmware update out today, anyone know what it does?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mug posted:

I was just coming here to ask this too. I have a feeling I already know what it fixes though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mug posted:

It just patches the bug people are currently making news by exploiting. I'm sure someone will figure out how to fake your version number soon enough, just like on the psp

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 7, 2010

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mug posted:

Disables all USB devices. :v:

I just got prompted for it myself. I'm holding off until we know the situation.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Disables all USB devices. :v:

I just got prompted for it myself. I'm holding off until we know the situation.

A quick round of googling says don't patch if you want to gently caress with homebrew, it's confirmed to not work.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I just picked up a couple of games, so I'm installing the update so I can install updates. :xzibit:

One of those is the RE5 gold edition. If this is like the Wii RE4, it will be money well spent. Well, the $50 for the move controller later this month, that is.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
So there is no way to get the newer PS3s to play PS2 or PS games? Why the gently caress did someone think this was a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

A quick round of googling says don't patch if you want to gently caress with homebrew, it's confirmed to not work.

I figure Sony is now in Nintendo's position; they've had their guts exposed and you can't put the genie back in the bottle. We'll get an arms race for a little while which will end with the modders finding an exploit that Sony can't patch. But there's no reason to help Sony along if you don't have to.

• Locked thread