Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, there's probably still some stuff buried in the OS related to PS2 emulation even in the Slims that they haven't removed. Doesn't mean Sony is holding anything back from people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ham posted:

Couldn't this just be off one of the software BC PS3s? Like the 80GB MGS4 packs. If it isn't, then Sony's decision to remove the function isn't really immoral at all, they just removed some value from the system so as to cut the price/make up for the lower cost with higher PS2 sales.
Those were still only partially software. Sony has better use for their R&D dollars than coming up with software emulation for hardware they can still sell at a profit.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Backwards compatibility? If you have savegames from your PS2 or something. Who knows :)

Yeah, that is so never going to happen.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

teekun posted:

Yeah, that is so never going to happen.

Oh I wasn't trying to imply it was even remotely likely.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Happy 15th birthday Playstation. :toot:

15 years of Sony dominating (in my opinion) the video game market with the best exclusives of any game console since the Playstation first came out. Plus the Playstation 2 is still, even a decade later now, on store shelves and has sold over 120,000,000 units world wide.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 9, 2010

Hugh Grant Superfan
Nov 13, 2008

What a hottie
I just got a PS3 Slim 160 GB and set everything up. I turned it on and plugged in the controller and pressed the PS button as instructed. Then it took me to language selection where it hovered over English for a second and then began quickly alternating between the first two options (Dansk and Deutsch). I restarted and quickly pressed X while it was hovering over English and this took me to the HDMI selection screen. I selected yes the first time but subsequent times I noticed I could only select yes. The issue seems to be that the triangle, square, circle and X buttons work and nothing else. I've tried both the included AV cable and HDMI and neither works. Did I get a defective controller? If so, what should I do about it?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Hugh Grant Superfan posted:

I just got a PS3 Slim 160 GB and set everything up. I turned it on and plugged in the controller and pressed the PS button as instructed. Then it took me to language selection where it hovered over English for a second and then began quickly alternating between the first two options (Dansk and Deutsch). I restarted and quickly pressed X while it was hovering over English and this took me to the HDMI selection screen. I selected yes the first time but subsequent times I noticed I could only select yes. The issue seems to be that the triangle, square, circle and X buttons work and nothing else. I've tried both the included AV cable and HDMI and neither works. Did I get a defective controller? If so, what should I do about it?

Depends on your store's policy. If your store permits you can probably just return the whole console and get a new one. If not, call sony and they'll replace it.

Doc Cylon
May 5, 2010

This is John Crichton paging Doctor Cylon, pick up the phone imperious leader.
Oshi-

New KB trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sTiyeQ2bI&feature=sub

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
Girlfriend's PS3 stopped reading Blurays. DVDs work fine.

Google tells me it's probably the laser, but no definitive answers.

This is sad, the console is only a few months old. Thankfully, they have a warranty at the store they bought it (Fry's) that I made fun of them for buying at the time, so it should be easier than sending it to Sony.

edit:

Doc Cylon posted:

Oshi-

New KB trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sTiyeQ2bI&feature=sub

I love this. They are definitely going for the Wii's head. At least they showed some FPS (was that Killzone or Socom?), but they should still start to emphasize the stuff for the hardcore gamer a bit more.

Sco Dylan fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 10, 2010

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I said come in! posted:

Happy 15th birthday Playstation. :toot:

15 years of Sony dominating (in my opinion) the video game market with the best exclusives of any game console since the Playstation first came out. Plus the Playstation 2 is still, even a decade later now, on store shelves and has sold over 120,000,000 units world wide.

To me, the PS2 was the "second SNES". To me [and most, I think] the SNES dominated the market during its time with its amazing selection of titles and developers. I'd say, while the PS1 was one hell of a console with some legendary titles, we didn't see that kind of astounding selection of titles again until the PS2. Soooo much good stuff.

Goddamn PS3, don't you know I have PS2 stuff to beat still? Stop sitting there mocking me with your impressive library and gorgeous graphics and sound. :argh:

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 10, 2010

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Code Jockey posted:

To me, the PS2 was the "second SNES". To me [and most, I think] the SNES dominated the market during its time with its amazing selection of titles and developers. I'd say, while the PS1 was one hell of a console with some legendary titles, we didn't see that kind of astounding selection of titles again until the PS2. Soooo much good stuff.

Goddamn PS3, don't you know I have PS2 stuff to beat still? Stop sitting there mocking me with your impressive library and gorgeous graphics and sound. :argh:

I think the PS1 was the first successor to the SNES, simply because at the time of its life, there really wasn't any alternative other than the N64, and PSX had literally like 3 times the library of the N64.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Fuzz posted:

I think the PS1 was the first successor to the SNES, simply because at the time of its life, there really wasn't any alternative other than the N64, and PSX had literally like 3 times the library of the N64.

Playing ports on both PSX and N64 really astonished me because they were like night and day.

Imagine my surprise when I owned Duke Nukem 64 on the N64 and then when I played the PSX port of the actual PC. It actually had music, and naked ladies, and different weapons, and different map layouts!!

Also the PSX ports had better music (compare the WWF Warzone on both systems and laugh at how the N64 one uses midi) and usually had FMV

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
I keep seeing boxes for Slims that seem to imply that a NetFlix client is installed on them. Is that the case? Either way, has there been any word on when it's going to be converted to an installable application?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ColdCock posted:

I keep seeing boxes for Slims that seem to imply that a NetFlix client is installed on them. Is that the case? Either way, has there been any word on when it's going to be converted to an installable application?

No, they're just advertising it because it's a bullet point they need to get their disc like everyone else.

No precise word on when we get an application but its supposed to be this fall so soon I guess.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

These jailbreak dudes need to stop focusing on porting the app to all sorts of weird poo poo and instead focus on coding a new Firmware that will let me get back onto PSN, dammit.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Fuzz posted:

These jailbreak dudes need to stop focusing on porting the app to all sorts of weird poo poo and instead focus on coding a new Firmware that will let me get back onto PSN, dammit.

But...my graphing calculator needs the app...:qq:

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Fuzz posted:

You could just update your firmware and not worry about it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Which one did you go with?

Also did sony lower the price? I just noticed a ps3 is $250 on costco.com, seems like it went down $30 or so.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Fuzz posted:

I still don't get why anybody would lock their PS3 in time and disable online functionality just to be able to copy vanilla single player games.

You won't get DLC, online, or updates. And sometimes those updates are crucial, see Bayonetta and Red Dead.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

Also did sony lower the price? I just noticed a ps3 is $250 on costco.com, seems like it went down $30 or so.

That is for the now-discontinued 120GB PS3. It was replaced with a 160GB PS3, which is still $300.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Sco Dylan posted:

I still don't get why anybody would lock their PS3 in time and disable online functionality just to be able to copy vanilla single player games.

You won't get DLC, online, or updates. And sometimes those updates are crucial, see Bayonetta and Red Dead.

In theory, you can do things with the jailbreak besides pirate games. And if you're in it for the piracy, you'll get your updates and DLC...and probably online play too.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Civil posted:

You could just update your firmware and not worry about it.

B-but my nintendo games. :qq:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Bob Cthulhu posted:

In theory, you can do things with the jailbreak besides pirate games. And if you're in it for the piracy, you'll get your updates and DLC...and probably online play too.

I dont see much for homebrew on the PS3. The wii and DS have a healthy legitimate homebrew market because of their unique control schemes. Until people can develop for the move there's nothing the PS3 can do a PC cant do all the same.

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
Im in the market for a new PS3. Should I get one now or will there be anything new or bundles released in the near future?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Move bundle comes out in just over a week, that's about it.

You don't get a discount versus buying a PS3 and the Move bundle separately, but it does come with a bigger hard drive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Toolband posted:

Im in the market for a new PS3. Should I get one now or will there be anything new or bundles released in the near future?

A Move bundle is out next week.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sco Dylan posted:

You assume it will lock you out of PSN and they won't figure out a firmware that can spoof PSN and fool it, and you also assume it's for copying games... gently caress that, I want some goddamn emulators! Being able to take just my PS3 and 4 controllers to a friend's house and suddenly we have a full on MAME box hooked up to an HD TV in the living room via 2 wires in 5 seconds = win.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dont see much for homebrew on the PS3. The wii and DS have a healthy legitimate homebrew market because of their unique control schemes. Until people can develop for the move there's nothing the PS3 can do a PC cant do all the same.

I'm crossing my fingers for an XBMC-type thing, and maybe some competent emulators. Mostly things that would make my (entertainment) life a little bit easier.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bob Cthulhu posted:

I'm crossing my fingers for an XBMC-type thing, and maybe some competent emulators. Mostly things that would make my (entertainment) life a little bit easier.

No man, don't you see? Only the Wii and DS make sense to use for emulating. Apparently our friend above thinks that nothing good has come out of any of the other systems.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe a bit off topic, but I figure this is the best place to ask. Does anyone have any experience getting a sixaxis controller to work on their PC? I have Vista 64 bit, I've downloaded a program that allegedly loads it up, and my control panel->game controller window does show the PS3 controller, but it won't recognize any button inputs. Anyone have a similar experience and know what I can do?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Bob Cthulhu posted:

Firefox FIREFOX FIREFOX FIREFOX

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Palleon posted:

Maybe a bit off topic, but I figure this is the best place to ask. Does anyone have any experience getting a sixaxis controller to work on their PC? I have Vista 64 bit, I've downloaded a program that allegedly loads it up, and my control panel->game controller window does show the PS3 controller, but it won't recognize any button inputs. Anyone have a similar experience and know what I can do?

I assume you used Motioninjoy? If you did the whole unsigned digital drivers deal it should be fine, it's worked for me in FFXIV.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

sentrygun posted:

I assume you used Motioninjoy? If you did the whole unsigned digital drivers deal it should be fine, it's worked for me in FFXIV.

I hadn't before, but am trying that now, having problems installing even though I did do the disabling signed drivers step. Trying it again, maybe I messed up. Is it supposed to take several minutes to run?

Edit: I'm getting it to say it's successfully installed now, but then when I got to the "about" page, it say it isn't.

Edit: 2 resets later, it magically works. Don't know why, but I'll take it.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 11, 2010

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Fuzz posted:

You assume it will lock you out of PSN and they won't figure out a firmware that can spoof PSN and fool it, and you also assume it's for copying games... gently caress that, I want some goddamn emulators! Being able to take just my PS3 and 4 controllers to a friend's house and suddenly we have a full on MAME box hooked up to an HD TV in the living room via 2 wires in 5 seconds = win.

I understand there are other cool things, but none of them seem to top the benefits of a legit PS3 out of the box, at least so far.

As of right now it's an arms race, and if they do figure out a way to get back on PSN it will be patched out somehow.

I just see way more cons than pros.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

This Is My Story, Bitches

Sco Dylan posted:

I understand there are other cool things, but none of them seem to top the benefits of a legit PS3 out of the box, at least so far.

As of right now it's an arms race, and if they do figure out a way to get back on PSN it will be patched out somehow.

I just see way more cons than pros.

Agreed, if speaking strictly of the here and now. If I can emulate SNES games on my PS3, no online CoD might be a fair trade-off. I play mostly single player games anyways.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fuzz posted:

If you liked Capcom fighters or the last generation of 2D games, the Saturn was actually way better than the PS1 due to the larger (V)RAM.

Of course, you weren't going to play much else.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

DiminishedAngel posted:

Agreed, if speaking strictly of the here and now. If I can emulate SNES games on my PS3, no online CoD might be a fair trade-off. I play mostly single player games anyways.

Thing is, I just played SNES on my laptop an hour ago and it took a total of 5 minutes to get it going from scratch.

I wouldn't trade online functionality, especially add-ons and updates for something I set up in 5 minutes on my laptop.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sco Dylan posted:

Thing is, I just played SNES on my laptop an hour ago and it took a total of 5 minutes to get it going from scratch.

I wouldn't trade online functionality, especially add-ons and updates for something I set up in 5 minutes on my laptop.

Yeah I really dont get it. My toaster can practically run a SNES emulator at this point, why mess with another device to do it?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Sco Dylan posted:

But, my HIGHDEFINITION.

Because plugging my computer into my HDTV to act as a monitor is so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So, I haven't used my PS3 very much at all in the past year so I was considering selling it. Does anyone have any idea of what they sell for nowadays? It's an old, fat 40 gig from just before MGS4 came out (2008?). Gamestop.com is selling the same model, used, for $249 but that seems hard to believe considering you can get a much newer model with more HD space for $50 more.

Edit: If I did sell it and buy another in a future where I am employed and not in need of money, I'd be able to just redownload all my PSN purchases, right? No fancy Xbox license transfer stuff?

• Locked thread