Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ookiimarukochan posted:

The only Japanese thing in Bake Off's Japanese week was the posh bird's soufflé cheesecake. The casual racism was bad enough that it's just hit the news in Japan. Not a huge shock given how casually racist that C4 "Paul Hollywood in Japan" show was.

Lmao just discovered that the pancake thing they made is French. What a shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

stev posted:

Lmao just discovered that the pancake thing they made is French. What a shitshow.

No, they put matcha on it. It's the most Japanese dish ever invented.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

stev posted:

I remember the gypsy tart coming up on the Off Menu podcast, and they discussed whether it was OK to say. They agreed that it's probably an old fashioned name which isn't great but there doesn't seem to be any other name for it so there's not much you can do about it.

As an American I certainly lack the context to say whether or not the name is offensive... but surely it could just be called a condensed milk tart?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Anyways forget the various racial and ethnic minefields of this episode for a second, because what was up with two different people not knowing what the word "crescent" means??

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

showbiz_liz posted:

Anyways forget the various racial and ethnic minefields of this episode for a second, because what was up with two different people not knowing what the word "crescent" means??

Even better was no one telling them. I guess contestants aren't allowed to help each other.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

thehustler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb7pJxUZNgl7dMmXm-iGDCX0n648U7FyD

Put a bunch of TV Nerd stuff there, will add to it over time I guess.

Neat, added to my YouTube subs list. Thanks

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

showbiz_liz posted:

And then Hollywood complaining that the crescents should have been semi circles. Wtf

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
No worries. The highlights for me are the director track from:

* The Challenger Disaster from NASATV, director audio with him doing the pooled world feed (edit: 12 cameras!)
* CNN on 9/11
* Jake Humphrey being an absolute loving pro on BBCF1 (take note of when they cue the opening video compared to when the count actually hits zero. Have to account for comms delays!)

Broadcast tech is fun

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Strawman posted:

The word gypsy is a racial slur.

The people featured in ‘big fat gypsy wedding’ etc. are not a distinct race.

showbiz_liz posted:

As an American I certainly lack the context to say whether or not the name is offensive... but surely it could just be called a condensed milk tart?

Yeah, or we could just not rename foods because people who aren’t in the allegedly offended group decide they’re offensive.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

wooger posted:

I thought Irish travellers were recently recognised as ethnically different from settled Irish people?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

stev posted:

There are a few chains that sell macha mille crepe in Japan but Prue Leith's recipe that they had to cook was literally unrecognisable vs the Japanese thing. They may as well have had them make Mont Blancs, they're very trendy in Japan right now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Japan does a lot of fusion food that is western influenced in general and have their own takes on some things.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ObamaAkbar. posted:

I thought Irish travellers were recently recognised as ethnically different from settled Irish people?

Because I was interested in knowing more I found this parliamentary report that is pretty thorough on terminology

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmwomeq/360/full-report.html

Probably not worth extending the derail by discussing but might be interesting to some

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

wooger posted:

Yeah, or we could just not rename foods because people who aren’t in the allegedly offended group decide they’re offensive.

European Roma Rights Centre: "Amongst most Romani communities this is an offensive racial slur"

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Paladinus posted:

They've made a big mistake of including two similar tasks in the first episode (statue made with things that start with the same letter and cocktail made with things that rhyme). Episode 2 had a better variety, and the host felt more comfortable with making GBS threads on contestants. A huge improvement.

I never watched Scandinavian versions, but I know the American one had tasks from the original. Are Kiwis the first to buy the format and come up with their own tasks instead of just using Horne's?

NZ version does seem to be doing the best job of being original. From what I've seen

- Denmark TM is about 90% Horne tasks
- Norwegian TM seems to be mostly original tasks in the house, but the studio tasks are all from the UK show
- Swedish TM from what little I've seen has never been more than minor Horne variations

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I want to see these Japanese news reports. Is this the second diplomatic incident caused by TV this year after that bbc3 sketch "Jamaican countdown"?
Also, bbc4 was playing an episode of Bob Ross the Joy of Painting, if you want to know how much money that network has anymore.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Heavy_D posted:

NZ version does seem to be doing the best job of being original. From what I've seen

- Denmark TM is about 90% Horne tasks
- Norwegian TM seems to be mostly original tasks in the house, but the studio tasks are all from the UK show
- Swedish TM from what little I've seen has never been more than minor Horne variations
The Norwegian one had a task sort of showed up here after; the task being based around a tea set fixed to the table. The Norwegian version ended up funnier, with them either attacking the table or using some random item found in the garage as an intermediate pouring step. The UK version was a team-task that didn't work nearly as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CosD8HU_3bU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge3jycrCQJ8

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

The Norwegian one had a task sort of showed up here after; the task being based around a tea set fixed to the table. The Norwegian version ended up funnier, with them either attacking the table or using some random item found in the garage as an intermediate pouring step. The UK version was a team-task that didn't work nearly as well.

The Norwegian Greg and Alex are like a bizarro world version of ours.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

It seems that Norwegian comedians are just way more competent and have more life skills than ours.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Are their subs for these Scandinavian Taskmasters.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Are their subs for these Scandinavian Taskmasters.
The panelshow reddit has full episodes with subs.

edit: the clips also have subs if switch to Youtube instead of embed.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 31, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Starting to think Katherine Parkinson is really really thick or bad at lateral thinking.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 29, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

happyhippy posted:

Starting to think Katherine Parkinson is really really thick.

She willingly starred in a Graham Lineham show so

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Starting to think Katherine Parkinson is really really thick or bad at lateral thinking.

The catapult attempt had me in tears.

The live task was very good as well, I've always found it to be a bit hit or miss.

The new(ish) Taskmaster podcast with Ed Gamble is worth a listen as well, if you haven't heard it yet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ookiimarukochan posted:

The only Japanese thing in Bake Off's Japanese week was the posh bird's soufflé cheesecake. The casual racism was bad enough that it's just hit the news in Japan. Not a huge shock given how casually racist that C4 "Paul Hollywood in Japan" show was.

Wait, what casual racism?

wooger posted:

Plenty of people have said that it can be offensive? Why not just rename it, what does it matter to you?
It's not much different to renaming the washington redskins

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

wooger posted:

Let's all just use racial slurs because someone not in the affected group decided it was fine with no research. What do you call brazil nuts?

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Absolutely outrageous that Daisy's non-upside down film got more points than Richard Herring's.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Absolutely outrageous that Daisy's non-upside down film got more points than Richard Herring's.

Herring's film, although lacked in comedy, was technically more impressive in its implementation of the task. Daisy's was mainly remarkable because of the catchy music that had nothing to do with the task. I'm surprised Richard didn't try to protest the decision, at least for a laugh, which leads me to believe he was being punished for something with that one point. I am now a Herring truthist. There is a vast conspiracy against ventriloquists.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Gambrinus posted:

The catapult attempt had me in tears.

It might honestly be the worst performance by any contestant on any task on any season. It was absolutely hilarious.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Taear posted:

Wait, what casual racism?

First thing was Chinese, second thing was French (adding macha powder to something does not make it Japanese), third thing was just "whatever" though at least one girl did make a Japanese cake. They couldn't even be hosed to ask about the pronunciation of "kawaii", a word they repeated over and over in the show, CBeebies shows put in more of an effort than this (the wife specifically mentioned Hey Duggee and Tea Cup Tales)

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Taskmaster continues to go from strength to strength.

Had an accident at work that wasn't your fault? absolutely killed me.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Daisy May Cooper just scribbling on the revolving canvas instead of actually drawing anything had me in tears

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Daisy May Cooper just scribbling on the revolving canvas instead of actually drawing anything had me in tears

Yeah, I was a bit surprised it took the contestants three rounds to realise that the difference between this and pictionary was that you could interfere with the other team's drawing. Probably for the best though, because from that point it descends into utter farce...

On second thoughts, perhaps a better version would have had both teams drawing from opposite sides of a transparent plastic pane? Sell that one to Taskmaster NZ.

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 31, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
All I want for Halloween is a full release of Rentaghost. Fuckin BBC vault.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Herring got screwed in the same way Rhod Gilbert did when they had to measure the circumference of a caravan in Beans.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Does Graham Norton still be outrageous on his show by looking up all winky and bum type things on a web-computer like he did on Channel 4 20 years ago? I'd somewhat like to know but I can't bring myself to watch an episode

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

crispix posted:

Does Graham Norton still be outrageous on his show by looking up all winky and bum type things on a web-computer like he did on Channel 4 20 years ago? I'd somewhat like to know but I can't bring myself to watch an episode

It's very lax and a lot of American's say he's their favourite show. You'll sometimes see odd poo poo like badly translated menus to get people to crack, sometimes he'll show fanart to Marvel actors featuring themselves, but I find most of it quite pleasant to watch and insightful/cute even in Youtube reccommendations. Like Alan Cumming and Daniel Radcliffe getting blown the gently caress away by Graham and Miriam Margolyes explaining how her rented holiday home got used as a major drug dropoff. Also interesting little things like Tom Hanks being a Star Trek nerd and telling Simon Pegg he wants to play a Romulan.

I find it much better than Jonathan Ross who I got turned off of when he bullied Daniel Craig into auctioning his watch.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

crispix posted:

Nah not really, he has this red chair gimmick thing now where members of the audience try and tell a funny or interesting story

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Yeah I like Graham on Eurovision and that. I just have no interest in watching celeb chat shows because I never know who anyone is. Jonathan Ross has always just seemed like a big gobshite - he's really not a funny person imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, if you like the celebrity talk show format, Graham is still one of the better ones.

Listening to him get half-cut on wine and talking poo poo about Eurovision is still the best use of him, obviously.