Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kin posted:

Does anyone else feel the age of the "star" has faded a bit. It seems like 'the franchise' or director has overtaken as the most important thing for viewers.

I mean, i can't think of the last film i was super hyped to see just because Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp or "name" was in it.

Normal people have no loving clue who directors are. You can see this by watching say pointless where their 100 people usually 10 or so will know directors unless it's maybe Spielberg.
Loads of people know actors.

Even if it's "that guy in that thing" they're way more visible than directors ever are or will be. Knowing the director of anything is still kind of a "film nerd" thing although that demographic is a lot bigger than it was in the past especially since IMDB exists.

Franchises yea, that's a nice easy thing to advertise so that gets a lot of traction. People get "it's marvel" and can go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/pacdude/status/1290848387416432642?s=19

At least it's not as bad as those shows that go to commercial then never return.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

echoplex posted:

I wholeheartedly endorse your proposal to have Gorman, and while you're there, Danny Wallace, brutally murdered in order to make career space for Buckles, and then have their bodies ground into some form of nutrient paste to keep him alive for longer.
Last time I saw a Dave Gorman show it included a segment where he was offering to send live bees to celebrities as some vaugue bit about people liking good causes on twitter. He got completely owned by Chistine Hamilton who was super up for live bee delivery but was too much of a coward to actualy send anyone live bees.

I remember him beeing funny in the past but his Goodish show seems pretty rubbish to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I liked Dave Gorman Show and Googlewhack (live, in particular) but stuff where he's just thrown in with a days prep and nothing more isn't as good. Annually Retentive probably being the best non-standuppy thing he's done, but he wasn't super essential for that.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Dave Gorman's problems are twofold 1) His comedy style is fairly unique and an acquired taste and 2) He peaked too early. The finale of Dave Gorman's Important Astrology Experiment was one of the best TV moments I've ever witnessed and hes never quite captured that again, and that was purely by chance.

I still think hes good though. I liked Goodish. Its not amazing but I enjoyed what I saw of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s long ago enough that I remember seeing it, but not sure whether I saw all of it and certainly don’t remember the reveal so maybe I should revisit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

e; wrong thread

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 6, 2020

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The thing with Gorman is, if you've seen 30minutes of him, you've seen his entire range.
I think everyone thinks the first Gorman thing they see is pretty decent, but then it's never changing.

I don't know how many times I've seen a variation of "Well you see audience, you'd think it was [good thing], or perhaps even [ok thing]... but no, it's [bad thing]"

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Mr Phillby posted:

Last time I saw a Dave Gorman show it included a segment where he was offering to send live bees to celebrities as some vaugue bit about people liking good causes on twitter. He got completely owned by Chistine Hamilton who was super up for live bee delivery but was too much of a coward to actualy send anyone live bees.

I remember him beeing funny in the past but his Goodish show seems pretty rubbish to me.

I think he's very much of a time. I've never re-visited Mark Thomas' work - I used to love Mark Thomas Product - but I suspect it might be the same.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

echoplex posted:

I think he's very much of a time. I've never re-visited Mark Thomas' work - I used to love Mark Thomas Product - but I suspect it might be the same.

The other day I saw that Mark Thomas was doing shows at that theatre next to the PCC pre-covid (and it reminded me of his existence). I remember him fitting a very similar slot to Mark Steel, whose radio show I saw being recorded a couple of times.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://twitter.com/pacdude/status/1290848387416432642?s=19

At least it's not as bad as those shows that go to commercial then never return.

Pedantic but CW hasn't cancelled taskmaster, they have decided to not air any more episodes. They have no control over the existence of the show.
Taskmaster is still being made.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

Pedantic but CW hasn't cancelled taskmaster, they have decided to not air any more episodes. They have no control over the existence of the show.
Taskmaster is still being made.

Cancelled as in "it's not airing in the US any more" I don't think anyone misunderstood otherwise because of the context.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
“Come watch foreign celebrities you’ve never heard of in Season 7 of the British version of a show that nobody liked,” was never going to be an easy sell.

That they’ve stopped is only surprising to me in that it’s a little part of the broader surprise: that they bothered trying in the first place.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

But why stop after one episode? How can you possibly build word of mouth if you never give it a chance? Is the opportunity cost of trying out a show really that high?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The CW execs thought they were getting a Marvel Taskmaster series and didn't bother to watch the tapes they were sent.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Mark Thomas is good politically of course, but I really don't rate his comedy at all. His format is to do an explainer of the terrible injustice, and then move onto the climax which are all his political stunts. But, by definition, the stunts are all things that happened in the past. So the actual stand-up bit of this is Mark Thomas animatedly telling you about the hilarious thing that he and his hilarious friends did, and he assures you it was definitely hilarious. And of course the actual stunts are usually completely anaemic rubbish, where they probably just hassled some receptionists and security guards. He also clearly misrepresents situations, turning one of his awkward hangers-on sidling up to a receptionist and haltingly asking them something into "oh, and then my mate Dave - he's hilarious - went up to the front desk and in a super witty and smooth way asked the receptionist which floor the war criminals are on!! Her mind was completely blown and no one there had any idea what to do! It was definitely hilarious, take my word for it."

Basically his comedy is inherently self-aggrandising, even if he really doesn't mean it to be. Stripped of political content, it's just him bigging up how funny he and his friends are.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
poo poo dude, that’s annoyingly bang on :-|

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Then again hes John Oliver without support.
He doesn't have a team of writers, lawyers, or production team to do the same sort of thing.

If he had a few hundred thousand per episode you would see him in a better light.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I liked his live show where everyone had to submit a new law that he would then add to an ongoing list. I haven’t watched much of his recent stuff, but always found him enjoyable enough.

Rob Newman I tried to like the post-Baddiel stuff, but hmph it didn’t do much for me. Which is a shame as I loved everything before that. Maybe I got unlucky with the tape I watched, but I get the feeling i didn’t.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Then again hes John Oliver without support.
He doesn't have a team of writers, lawyers, or production team to do the same sort of thing.

If he had a few hundred thousand per episode you would see him in a better light.

The problem with Mark Thomas is not a lack of research (and remember, he did have a TV show on Channel 4 at one point). It's the fundamental format of his act.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

The problem with Mark Thomas is not a lack of research (and remember, he did have a TV show on Channel 4 at one point). It's the fundamental format of his act.

How so though? I remember enjoying it on C4 back in the day at least.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I didn’t NOT enjoy them, but I can’t argue with the charge.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Since we’re doing “comedians who are poo poo” I once posted on Twitter that I thought Mark Steel was a middle class Peter Kay and it didn’t go well.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Taear posted:

How so though? I remember enjoying it on C4 back in the day at least.

Scroll up?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

thehustler posted:

Since we’re doing “comedians who are poo poo” I once posted on Twitter that I thought Mark Steel was a middle class Peter Kay and it didn’t go well.

I don't see the similarity, does Steel reference a lot of 80s stuff?
Only really know Steel from his Lectures series from the early 00s, so Blair and John Prescott jokes ahoy!

If we are talking about poo poo comedians, I have never liked Milton Jones.
Word puns are for 10 year olds.
Ruined Mock the Week.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mark Steel does talk a lot about the past, often to make comparisons with the present and how things look different but haven't changed. He does the angry carmudgeon and bemused old lefty thing well enough

A friend claims to have once seen a night that included Steel, Thomas, Hardy and Sayle. I assume it was a charity thing because Alexei doesn't gig much.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah - perhaps a bit OTT but I had just seen him at the Fringe and was a bit underwhelmed and tweeted that and then Robin Ince told me I was wrong.

Also, I *really* miss the Fringe, I should be gearing up for 24 days of fun and running a show every night and instead the city centre is empty.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Oh sorry, I didn't see that at all - must have missed it when I clicked my "X amount of posts read".

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

You do realise that he tapes a bunch of stuff and plays back it for the audience? it's not just some sort of "LOL you needed to be there!" thing.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

thehustler posted:

Robin Ince told me I was wrong.

Now there is someone who is deeply unfunny.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I’ll politely withdraw there as I hang around in those circles and I book him for stuff on and off (I do scicomm)

Edit: I think he’s funny, gently caress it. But I get that it’s not for everyone.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 8, 2020

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

thehustler posted:

the city centre is empty.

dreams.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Ehh, on and off with every passing year I live here I may think like that but ultimately it’s just not right.

I haven’t been at work since March so I haven’t seen the city centre since then apart from once and it was just nothing

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I watched one episode of Devs a few weeks back, meant to carry on but other stuff drew my attention. Think I'll give it another go after hearing an effective ad for it on the radio earlier. It will be interesting to see if one of the lines on the ad has completely given the plot away, and if they don't follow up the other line on the ad "it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen" with "all right, pass me the bomb", I'll be very disappointed.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

FWIW I really enjoyed Devs. The cinematography, soundtrack and pacing made a really hypnotic, beautiful show.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Anyone watch the new Derren Brown last night? It was so transparently obvious what he was doing, I was psyching myself up for the other shoe to drop and feel like I'd been had. But no.

I don't get how practising this exact trick he'd actually harm himself. There was no mark involved?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
What show was that? I was meant to see him at the theatre this year but that ain't happening...

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Marmaduke! posted:

What show was that? I was meant to see him at the theatre this year but that ain't happening...

Last night at 9pm till 11:10pm. Forget the name of it, but it was a career retrospective with a live trick interspersed through the whole 2 hours.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Picked up Jam on dvd for £2. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Padje posted:

Anyone watch the new Derren Brown last night? It was so transparently obvious what he was doing, I was psyching myself up for the other shoe to drop and feel like I'd been had. But no.

I don't get how practising this exact trick he'd actually harm himself. There was no mark involved?

Are you talking about all the "subliminal" messaging to influence the selection?

His explanations on how he did a thing, 95% of the time are not the way he did a thing