Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

thehustler posted:

Yeah, production assistants and script supervisors are brilliant. When I worked as a broadcast tech at a uni I made this video which showed a load of TV students doing it. Most stuff like that is rehearsed to death and planned shot for shot.

https://youtu.be/LLHvQEtgHcc

This is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Taear posted:

It's funny how Bundy, Sutcliffe and Nilsen all managed to get away with the crimes for a while for effectively the same reason - police prejudice.

and you can add Stephen Port to that list. plus ça change

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I may have some other cool stuff from my uni work days I can dig out.

Edit: I’ve got me demoing a steadicam to a room full of students and my slides for it which is hella embarrassing and a lecture from someone who works for SIS (ex BBC Outside Broadcasts) talking about how to plan and do OBs and it’s p good.

Also one time I met a producer who worked on daytime and reality poo poo and he was a prick.

Edit: I did have the talkback from the entire last show of an X-factor season as well - that really was fascinating, lots of live OB inserts to work around. I cannot find it now and I’m quite sad.

If you’re anywhere close to being interested in this side of things The TV Forum is mostly good.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 26, 2020

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Annabel Pee posted:

Whats going on at the bit when the bands on and shes singing the numbers?

She's calling all of the camera changes to choreograph with the song

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I can’t find an example of a music shooting script online, annoyingly. But it’s just a list of shots in order in a table and the vision mixer will follow it according to the “x next” callout while the script super calls the bars out and she has the same script etc.

The x next can mean either shot or source and you need to agree depending on gallery style I guess.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

(Not that you can’t go rogue as the director (the chap) does calling for guitar later)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Strawman posted:

Trying to stop you scrolling past the good episodes to get to the really bad ones seems like a service

Goddamit they got me again, this time I had to scroll through all the way to season 4 episode 5 before the list ended. I blame, as ever, the toasters.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the cake sculpture challenge on the bakeoff season premiere was incredible

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw some of them on Twitter and honestly thought it was a joke at first.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it was the wildest ride i've ever gone on while watching a cooking show. when they revealed the final form of that lady's lupita nyong'o cake, i nearly fell off the couch

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The dramatic tension in that Schofield clip is amazing.

It is fascinating listening to this stuff and hearing how frantic and stressful it can be. I think theres a version of the 2012 opening ceremony online somewhere with gallery audio and that went perfectly but the stakes make it real I guess.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That’d be Hamish Hamilton who is not only great but also the only good recent thing to come of Blackpool frankly.

Edit: “I thought you were off it!” :roflolmao: poor sod

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Just read the book White Teeth, looked if there was ever an adaption and found a miniseries from 2002 on 4od, making my way through it now. It's a pretty corny and dated adaption, loses a lot of the nuance from the book but gets the gist of it. Some famous faces pop up including John Simm in a funny role, Russel Brand, and the mvp is a young speccy James McAvoy.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Not the usual fodder to talk about perhaps but that three-part Shipman doc on iPlayer is great.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
my parents are watching something on BBC one which appears to be an even worse version of Eat Pray Love with Eddie Marsan

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The Shipman docs were very good. Unsensational, respectful, and with an interesting argument to make.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

100% agree. Local knowledge certainly helped with the filmmaker, but the way they concentrated on the victims while still telling you what happened was excellent.

Hard recommend, goons.

Edit: also I spotted some music from The Leftovers in the final few minutes heh.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
I am so happy Spitting Image is back.

gallilee fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 5, 2020

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

gallilee posted:

I am so happy Spitting Image is back.

Me too its great I loved how they did Dom Cummings.

I do think its bullshit that its not just on normal BBC channels. Considering I am a mug who pays tv license and I dont watch anything on the BBC.

I think its a pisstake that I have to pay a monthly sub to Britbox (owned by ITV and BBC) to watch this.

Luckly I have a "friend" that let me watch this on his sub

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Can't believe anyone enjoys the poo poo centrist wank of the new spitting image. Every joke is so unbelievably forced because how can you make a joke about a government that's out there murdering people every day?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The original was viewed with rose tinted glasses for the most part anyway. The new one is more amusing than funny, it’ll do. The puppets are pretty good for the most part.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Is it true they made a puppet of Greta Thunberg? Because that's a bit lovely.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah she’s a weather girl who shouts ‘hot!’ and that’s about it. Not exactly the most cutting edge writing but hey.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Rubbing tickly satire.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah she’s a weather girl who shouts ‘hot!’ and that’s about it. Not exactly the most cutting edge writing but hey.

I saw that bit earlier and it's literally the Family Guy Ollie joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nvm_rq2fMg

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So I expect next we'll have a poo poo CG Blackadder too then.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The_Doctor posted:

I saw that bit earlier and it's literally the Family Guy Ollie joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nvm_rq2fMg

It's got Matt Forde, stealing from MacFarlane is pretty par for the course, given he's gotten by on the coattails of Russel Howard doing the same.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I thought they had some really convincing American accents this time around, but it turns out they just had half of Futurama's cast doing almost all American characters. It was enjoyable overall.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I saw that bit earlier and it's literally the Family Guy Ollie Fast Show joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZMUAd7OJc8

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I saw the ad for Spitting Image and they have a Billie Eilish puppet? Sure striking while that iron's hot, eh.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/danwootton/status/1313041190166683649?s=20

Haha, she handled the pandemic well and is a woman.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

My pushing sixty in a few years dad thinks the clips of this are good, I suspect we might have a generation split over mid tier generalized satire.

Or I am just a grumpy bastard who has accepted British media won't ever have the guts to do it properly because profit and appeal trumps actually doing it. Little from both columns.

Also, there is the fact we're past the point where our whole situation cannot be farcial now.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Bit redundant that the satire of Johnson is just a facsimile of the character he affects for the public eye.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Shipman docs were very good. Unsensational, respectful, and with an interesting argument to make.

watching this now and it's very good but it does suffer from the problem 99% of modern documentaries suffer from which is excessive padding

nearly finished episode 2 now and so far the 30-second clip of the woman talking about Shipman being made a coffee has been shown 3 times

also the notice board with the "American Wrestling" flyer 3 times and the cat jumping up on the fence twice

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 7, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

After stumbling onto the horrifyingly out of touch The Watch trailer I really do wish we had a poo poo CG Blackadder instead.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

watching this now and it's very good but it does suffer from the problem 99% of modern documentaries suffer from which is excessive padding

nearly finished episode 2 now and so far the 30-second clip of the woman talking about Shipman being made a coffee has been shown 3 times

also the notice board with the "American Wrestling" flyer 3 times and the cat jumping up on the fence twice

I did enjoy the documentary but yea that repeat footage is absolutely wild, I don't think I've seen any documentary that did it quite so much.

The conclusion the guy reached at the end I thought was dumb, that shipman killed old people because they didn't matter. All the people had families and people who loved them, it was more a case that society thinks it's okay to die after say 75 and "old age" is a perfectly acceptable form of death, so he got away with it. It kinda proves that with the younger people he killed too - it was just anyone he could easily have an excuse for.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 10, 2020

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

After stumbling onto the horrifyingly out of touch The Watch trailer I really do wish we had a poo poo CG Blackadder instead.

I think if it wasn't The Watch then I'd enjoy it, it looks fun, it's just not The Discworld.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Not So Fast posted:

it's just not The Discworld.

It's a shame they didn't come to this conclusion halfway through shooting.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
That Enslaved thing with Samuel l Jackson last night was pretty interestingly. Quite shonkily put together and jarringly edited, but each of the individual components was either interesting or heart breaking or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I finally watched the Live Inside No. 9, and man, that would have been wild to see as it aired. I watched Ghostwatch live back in 92*, and this had heavy shades of that all through its core. Using the actual lore and history of the studios was a masterstroke. I’ve not actually felt tense like that in a long while watching something.

*mostly through my fingers.