Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
This Zapped worth checking out? I need something to chase away the winter blues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I showed my mum how to watch Taskmaster on the app about ten days ago and she came to me last night to ask if there was any more, and it turns out she's watched literally all of it now. I mean she's mostly bedridden so she has plenty of time but still, holy poo poo. Thanks thread, I probably wouldn't have bothered checking it out without you lot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SeanBeansShako posted:

This Zapped worth checking out? I need something to chase away the winter blues.

I’m sure it’s worse than the original CITV version.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

HopperUK posted:

Not available in the UK! Tsk. I might have to resort to shenanigans.
TM Norway aka Kongen Bafeler has just started it's third series. :filez:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Pablo Bluth posted:

TM Norway aka Kongen Bafeler has just started it's third series. :filez:

I think I rate this as the best "foreign language Taskmaster"* so it's welcome news that it has returned.

* very careful language so that I don't have to pick between this and TM NZ yet

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
How many Tasksmaster are there? The US (bad, cancelled), and the NZ, and Norwegian one. Is there a Japanese one yet?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mr. Squishy posted:

How many Tasksmaster are there? The US (bad, cancelled), and the NZ, and Norwegian one. Is there a Japanese one yet?

According to the Wikipedia entry:

Wikipedia posted:

International versions of the programme have been made in Belgium (as Het Grootste Licht) [The Greatest Light], Sweden (as Bäst i Test) [Best in Test], Norway (as Kongen befaler) [The King Commands] and Spain (as Dicho y hecho) [Said and Done]. In Denmark the programme is titled Stormester [Grandmaster] and premiered on 25 August 2018. In April 2017, a US version with Reggie Watts as the Taskmaster and Horne as the assistant was announced, made by Avalon, the same production company for the UK version and originally aired on Comedy Central on 27 April 2018. A German version featuring Atze Schröder as the Taskmaster was commissioned by RTL in 2017; two episodes were recorded but not broadcast. In 2019 it was announced a New Zealand version would be produced, hosted by Jeremy Wells and Paul Williams. This was broadcast in 2020. Finnish network MTV3 started airing a local version Suurmestari [Grandmaster] on 12 April 2020.

So there are Belgian, Swedish, Norwegian, Spanish, Danish, US, German (unaired), Kiwi and Finnish versions. Which is 9 aired versions, and 1 which was never aired; including the original.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The Finnish Taskmaster is strange. They decided to experiment with the formula, and maybe there is some cultural context I'm missing, but I don't think it was a particularly good decision. Instead of pompous chairs and red velvet, the studio set is a weird mix of a talk show with the host behind the desk and guests on two sofas, and your old-fashioned boss's office where his secretary also has a desk. Instead of having five contestants throughout the series, they only have four permanent ones, and one guest contestant each episode. Jaakko is also a bit off as Taskmaster. He doesn't come off as a whimsical tyrant, and instead more of a funny judge. On the other hand, in the NZ version, it also took some time for Taskmaster to get into the role. Pilvi (the assistant) is pretty good, and the contestants had some pretty different and hilarious takes on tasks, so I'm willing to stick with it at least until the next episode.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pilvi is great. She's going for an "unflappable strict arbiter" persona and immediately gets flapped in the very first task. :allears:

tsob posted:

German (unaired)
And thank God, cause, y'all probably won't know who Atze Schröder is, but let me tell you: it would have been utterly dreary. Contestants were complete and utter no-names, too. Germany just doesn't have the kind of comedy culture that works well with Taskmaster I think. or being funny.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Paladinus posted:

The Finnish Taskmaster is strange.
...Instead of having five contestants throughout the series, they only have four permanent ones, and one guest contestant each episode.

The Swedish TM also does this, not a fan...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
^^^ Now that you mention it, it's obvious that Finns could be more familiar with the Nordic versions and try to lift more from there. The Finnish name of the show is also based on the Danish version, as far as I can tell.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Pilvi is great. She's going for an "unflappable strict arbiter" persona and immediately gets flapped in the very first task. :allears:

She's a very solid character that you just immediately get. Perfectly fits with the formula.

My Lovely Horse posted:

And thank God, cause, y'all probably won't know who Atze Schröder is, but let me tell you: it would have been utterly dreary. Contestants were complete and utter no-names, too. Germany just doesn't have the kind of comedy culture that works well with Taskmaster I think. or being funny.

Googled him, and I can see how it wouldn't work.

quote:

Schröder always appears in character with a large brown wig and glasses which he cultivated for his appearance on Quatsch Comedy Club and Alles Atze. His comedic style has been described as "vulgar" and centers around his self-assured "Proll" (simple working class) persona living in the industrial Ruhr area of Germany.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 6, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Danish Taskmaster is starting its fourth season soon, personally I think it's better than the original.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W3YL_4D8go

The official Taskmaster YT channel just uploaded the Finnish version, well Ep1 of them.
They add eps every week, so keep an eye on it.

Edit: VVV Weird as its fine here in Ireland. Maybe they forgot to black list us from it.

Most likely it's EU only because of EU broadcasting rules.
Same reason you can't watch Sky Go outside of the UK anymore.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The Taskmaster youtube channel is a bit weird. Some series are available outside UK but others aren't.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm amazed there are still internet people who don't regularly use VPN.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
All the Nordic Taskmasters are fine to great, all the others are poo poo. Especially the Spanish one, I didn't make it through one episode of that. Almost worth watching just to see how badly they gently caress it up.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Unkempt posted:

All the Nordic Taskmasters are fine to great, all the others are poo poo. Especially the Spanish one, I didn't make it through one episode of that. Almost worth watching just to see how badly they gently caress it up.

Stupid question maybe, but do they have standup comedy in the same way we do in anglophone countries in all the countries where Taskmaster is now produced?

I can picture it in Nordic countries, less so in Spain for some reason.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I mean Sofie Hagen has said comedy and standup isn’t really a thing in Denmark which is why she’s here. But not sure about the rest of Scandaweigia

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It only works in countries where you have a poo poo climate for most of the year that forces everyone to stay in and watch excessive amounts of television.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

so it's just gonna spring up everywhere now, is it

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Mr. Squishy posted:

US, NZ, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Belgium and Spain I think. I haven't found any English :filez: for the Belgian one yet though.

The Best foreign taskmaster pair would be Atle and Paul, imo, although I'm not sure how good Paul's Norwegian is.

thehustler posted:

I mean Sofie Hagen has said comedy and standup isn’t really a thing in Denmark which is why she’s here. But not sure about the rest of Scandaweigia

Denmark having a smaller population than London probably has a lot to do with it too.

Strawman fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 7, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
So The Masked Singer is dumb as hell but it gave me a bit of a shock yesterday because it turns out Sue Perkins has a really lovely singing voice. I'll drop a video in. I hope she sings more in public in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCdd2IpluhI

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

thehustler posted:

It’s very much a thing, but obviously a smaller scene than England or the US. I don’t know a whole lot about Sofie Hagen, but my impression is that she is a failed stand-up comedian who is carrying a grudge because she wasn’t popular.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Oasx posted:

It’s very much a thing, but obviously a smaller scene than England or the US. I don’t know a whole lot about Sofie Hagen, but my impression is that she is a failed stand-up comedian who is carrying a grudge because she wasn’t popular.

She’s definitely done better since moving here though. Perhaps her style didn’t work back home?

Edit: I mean she had decently full rooms during the last time she was up at the Fringe, I seem to recall

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

thehustler posted:

She’s definitely done better since moving here though. Perhaps her style didn’t work back home?

Edit: I mean she had decently full rooms during the last time she was up at the Fringe, I seem to recall

If 0.1% of 70 million people like her stuff it's going to be a lot more people turning up than 0.1% of 6 million, if you get me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oasx posted:

I don’t know a whole lot about Sofie Hagen, but my impression is that she is a failed stand-up comedian who is carrying a grudge because she wasn’t popular.
What a bizarre thing to say.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Taear posted:

If 0.1% of 70 million people like her stuff it's going to be a lot more people turning up than 0.1% of 6 million, if you get me.

Yeah, fair point. Maths!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

stev posted:

What a bizarre thing to say.

How so? I'm danish and I follow danish stand-up, and I know that she didn't have much success as a stand-up comedian, but is mostly known for loudly announcing that was leaving Denmark.
Her lack of success isn't due to Denmark not having a stand-up scene, but due to danes not finding her funny. If she did better in the UK then that is great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oasx posted:

How so? I'm danish and I follow danish stand-up, and I know that she didn't have much success as a stand-up comedian, but is mostly known for loudly announcing that was leaving Denmark.
Her lack of success isn't due to Denmark not having a stand-up scene, but due to danes not finding her funny. If she did better in the UK then that is great.

Fair enough, I thought you meant that was a general impression based on their work in the UK.

They're not a massive star on the UK comedy circuit but they're pretty well liked here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:toot:

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1358713076716105729

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I loved Games Master as a kid, but I don't know how much traction a similar format could get in this day and age, when Let's Plays and reviews of various formats online are so myriad.

That said, Darragh O'Briain did a similar show a few years back where celebrity guests played games against more experienced staff gamers and I thought it was fun, even if it only got one season (maybe two; don't recall). The staff gamers weren't great, which I suppose is the key in a show like that. You need big personalities, and a presenter who can play up the virtues or vices of the particular people.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It is going to have to do something radical yeah, the internet as is with Twitch, YouTube and a bunch of other outlets have it beat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The show should be based around a new generation of gamers making Dave Perry cry.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

They reckon Sir Patrick Stewart as the Gamesmaster? That's actually brilliant, if slightly unlikely.

Dream casting Sir Ian McKellen obviously

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some sort of hybrid of news, reviews and clip montages they stole from YouTube, presumably. Maybe some esports coverage?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

tsob posted:

I loved Games Master as a kid, but I don't know how much traction a similar format could get in this day and age, when Let's Plays and reviews of various formats online are so myriad.

It's Taskmaster with computer games.
If you check the original Ch4 press release here: https://www.4sales.com/latest/2021-02/news/gamesmaster-returns-seeking-brand-partner

quote:

If the show gets the go-ahead, five bold celebrities will embark on a gaming odyssey but only one can go on to become the GamesMaster champion and take home the Golden Joystick.

They’ll undergo challenges, races and fights in virtual battle across all genres of gaming under the watchful eye of the all-knowing GamesMaster.

Each week at least one celeb will be eliminated…Over the three episodes, five will become one and the winner will be crowned. They’ll play each other at everything from iconic classics to brand new releases. We’ll also be serving tonnes of extra gaming-themed content to our audiences to keep them coming back for more.

I dunno, could be ok.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just realised that Richard Herring has both an original run Golden Joystick and a Greg Head trophy from Taskmaster. He's slowly trying to make his own infinity gauntlet and needs to be stopped.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

tsob posted:

That said, Darragh O'Briain did a similar show a few years back where celebrity guests played games against more experienced staff gamers and I thought it was fun, even if it only got one season (maybe two; don't recall).

It got three series! It also got a really weird spin off called 'Go 8 Bit DLC' which was basically a low budget chat show that looked like it was filmed in the studio's storage closet.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

tsob posted:

That said, Darragh O'Briain did a similar show a few years back where celebrity guests played games against more experienced staff gamers and I thought it was fun, even if it only got one season (maybe two; don't recall). The staff gamers weren't great, which I suppose is the key in a show like that. You need big personalities, and a presenter who can play up the virtues or vices of the particular people.

It was loving awful, and for me really put into highlight the problems with the agency comedian system in this country. There are so many gamers in the tv industry, and the series even had a sister show where the two subhosts would profile a comedian who was really into gaming. But the main show would constantly have people on who would basically admit to only ever having played a phone game and we'd have to watch them go the wrong way around the track in Gran Turismo. That and really poorly devised challenges that didn't suit themselves to one-on-one play or TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

e: too soon I guess