Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I enjoyed the Dooley thing where she stayed at various people's houses a few years ago, will give the new one a go.

Also I'm forced to watch Casualty with my missus every Saturday and I loving hate it!! Two teenagers in a barn, one chokes on a nut or something, instead of doing anything the other just calls their name over and over. Choking kid falls unconscious, other rings 999 who tells her to perform chest compressions, this doesnt immediately work so she decides to perform a tracheotomy with a pocket knife!! gently caress this dumb programme!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Casualty used to be great for the 'guess what is about to befall these poor bastards' game in the first ten minutes but it's pretty silly these days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think I’m hooked on My House after the first episode. Ended in the best possible way, and now I’m on episode 2 I spotted the connection in the intro montage which has me excited to see how this one rolls out. *

Convincing my American friends to watch it now before the inevitable remake hits the shores in a few years.

(I wasn’t massively won over by the crappy photo round, and at the time thought the partner round might reveal too much but in the end that one was fine. Only real shame is the last bit with the panel talking to them is a bit crappy but I’m guessing that’s a pandemic thing that they’ll fix in the future).

* I thought it was a bit weird when he said his full name at the end of the first episode!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

HopperUK posted:

Casualty used to be great for the 'guess what is about to befall these poor bastards' game in the first ten minutes but it's pretty silly these days.

They put a lot of effort into that back in the day. There'd be a birthday party and someone had bought cheap knock off sparklers to put in it and then at the birthday party there'd be a build up of smoke and it'd set off the smoke alarms in the family's house and the old bloke next door would put his slippers on to go and see if his neighbours were okay and he'd fall over a cat on the way over and crack his head open

or whatever

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Paul Ritter is dead at 54.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/apr/06/friday-night-dinner-star-paul-ritter-dies-of-brain-tumour-at-54

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well poo poo on that :smith:.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
drat. He was really good in Chernobyl, practically unrecognisable, the man had range.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

No Offence too was a show he was particularly good in, even if his character was just part-Martin Goodman in a forensic suit.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
People are getting three goes on Pointless now and it's doing my fuckin head in

Edit: goes? gos? go's? Turns.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 8, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Unkempt posted:

Goes I reckon. That sounds like madness, what the gently caress. I used to watch a LOT of Pointless when my dad wasn't well because he could only tolerate certain programmes and to be honest, it was all right. If you have to watch one thing for six hours a day you could do a lot worse.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Now I think they should give them all the goes, they just can't leave until they win. They can have food and water but nothing else. Completely down for haggard morons.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Changed my mind, no food

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Whole lot of uncharacteristic shouting at the tv when we hit episode 2 of This is my House.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Unkempt posted:

I'm guessing it's a Covid thing to reduce the number of contestants coming into the studio.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mickolution posted:

I'm guessing it's a Covid thing to reduce the number of contestants coming into the studio.

The repeated (tested, bubbled) guests on shows like WILTY would appear to bolster this theory

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

thehustler posted:

The repeated (tested, bubbled) guests on shows like WILTY would appear to bolster this theory

I usually miss the start of Pointless due to work and the first round being long and boring, but I assume the pairs live together? The individual pairs, of course, not everyone...

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
The Circle The OG 4 realising one of the new players was probably and old player and turning against them was so good. Nice to see all the originals should make it to the final as friends now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Annabel Pee posted:

The Circle The OG 4 realising one of the new players was probably and old player and turning against them was so good. Nice to see all the originals should make it to the final as friends now.

The last bit you said there applies to every season so far. It's a bit of a failing of the format that basically if you go in first you're VERY likely to be one of the winners just because you get chance to build up relationships.

Unkempt posted:

Wait how does this work?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Taear posted:

Wait how does this work?

It's three episodes contestants get (unless they get to the final), not three answers in a round.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Annabel Pee posted:

Manrika has been one of the greatest reality show players, but it was pretty funny how the other 3 worked it out that the newbie was old players in disguise, while she was frothing about being betrayed. tbf, anyone kicked out and not going to visit another contestant is going to be assumed to be coming back, after they put 2 ex players together last year. Next season they should be told to keep visits from departing players a secret. It's not like they don't all see the reveal video anyway.

Gotta figure and hope Andy blocks Alice tonight, given his appearance at the dinner would be interesting for all of 2 seconds. Not that anyone's gonna get a look in once Manrika meets Felix. I'm already feeling that anxious tension I used to get each year when my mum went off to Parents' Evening.

The yank one starts next week, and this time we can watch it along with the rest of the world.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Always been too much faffing about and chitchat on Pointless for my liking

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Richard Osman ruins it for me now. Smug dickhead.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

crispix posted:

Always been too much faffing about and chitchat on Pointless for my liking

Absolutely. The first round is a chore sometimes.

stev posted:

Richard Osman ruins it for me now. Smug dickhead.

How dare you!

I was actually thinking about this the other day. He should annoy me and I would probably find most other people in the same role annoying, but there's something inherantly likeable about him, especially on House of Games.

On the subject of quiz shows, there's a new (second attempt) US version of The Chase. It's much the same, except they have the other chasers (I think they all had long runs on Jeopardy) doing a weird commentary over it. The main difference though, is that the questions are worth $25,000 in the cashbuilder. Saw one guy do well and the low offer was still $80,000. Think the high offer was $300,000 or something. Madness. The Chasers don't seem as good, either.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I love the Richard Osman episodes on the Richard Herring podcasts. He's just intimidatingly smart, and has an absolutely savage wit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well that’s all the big channels buggered up till Monday at the earliest.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The_Doctor posted:

Well that’s all the big channels buggered up till Monday at the earliest.

Did something big just happen?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No, but they'll tell you something has.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The racist coffin dodger carked it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why would that matter outside news shows (which would already exist anyway; just with somewhat different content) and a few commemoration programmes? Prince Phillip wasn't even one of the more popular or respected members of the royal family. I can certainly see Queenie's death loving up every major station's programming with wall to wall stuff because she's so well known worldwide, and a significant percentage of the population adores her. Phillip though? There might be an hour or so long thing about his life on some channels, but I can't see it being more than that.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

BBC One has cancelled everything until 6am tomorrow lol

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

tsob posted:

Why would that matter outside news shows (which would already exist anyway; just with somewhat different content) and a few commemoration programmes? Prince Phillip wasn't even one of the more popular or respected members of the royal family. I can certainly see Queenie's death loving up every major station's programming with wall to wall stuff because she's so well known worldwide, and a significant percentage of the population adores her. Phillip though? There might be an hour or so long thing about his life on some channels, but I can't see it being more than that.

The BBC is desperately grovelling to tory nutters to try and not get the license fee revoked entirely.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It is currently the top story in the sport section of the BBC website.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So glad I don't watch Telly like that, now to ignore the news for a whole week.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

SeanBeansShako posted:

So glad I don't watch Telly like that, now to ignore the news for a whole week.

The radio's hosed too. Sad!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It has hosed up my ability to work. I'm having to take time picking music myself.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My housemate works at Kew, and they’ve implemented Operation Unicorn, (Liz is Operation Lion). Black armbands and whatnot.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for the "Why weren't the breakfast presenters wailing and rending their clothes? Don't they care about are country?" type complaints.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goatface posted:

It is currently the top story in the sport section of the BBC website.

watching the Grand National meeting coverage and so far they've spent more time talking about him than about horses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

:siren: The studio OBIT light is lit, man your posts! :siren:

Luckily most broadcasters seem to have handled it well. Everyone in the requisite attire, BBC with special graphics, nice early coverage.

Lots of digital multichannels are showing some captions and loops in place of ads telling folk to watch the news.

BBC radio all got merged together and got a bulletin, and a few other commercial networks all did the same.

I’m just pissed about HIGNFY and hope they move it to BBC2.

TV Live (the replacement for TV Forum) has an ongoing thread here: https://www.tvliveforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=193

Edit: that BBC Radio bulletin also on all digital channels and local stations, only the World Service remains solo. Wow.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 9, 2021