Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I think GBBO with Alan and Lyn as the people who walk around and talk to the contestants would possibly be the best thing ever on TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

crispix posted:

I think GBBO with Alan and Lyn as the people who walk around and talk to the contestants would possibly be the best thing ever on TV

Alan would work really well in that kind of setting where he has to judge something. I'd love to see him filling in on a competitive cooking show and just passive-aggressively demolish every contestant.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Unkempt posted:

Boop boop

Uniform pope
I have my quibbles but it's undoubtedly developing better than the previous series.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"Join us after the break, when some comedians will be getting hurt" is perhaps the best summary of Taskmaster.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The cling-film/gaffer tape task felt half-baked. They came up with a clever conceit then finished it with the most basic of challenges.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pablo Bluth posted:

The cling-film/gaffer tape task felt half-baked. They came up with a clever conceit then finished it with the most basic of challenges.

That's the pattern with those two stage tasks; like in season 7 when the task was to make it as hard as possible for Alex to untie you, and everyone bar Rob tied themselves to the chair before a bell chimed to get them to put on a pair of overalls. Once Rob remembered what it was, he just walked over and got it.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Unkempt posted:

Boop boop

Uniform pope

On the topic of No More Jockies, this week's episode featured one of the all time great opening categories (and challenge thereof). Then it ended with one of the worst plays in a long time, bowled twice in one delivery...

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Stare-Out posted:

Alan would work really well in that kind of setting where he has to judge something. I'd love to see him filling in on a competitive cooking show and just passive-aggressively demolish every contestant.

I also dearly want Jumble! to be a real thing

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like the TM problem of instant disqualifications could be solved by having them lose points from their total if they gently caress up - but still have a reason to keep going and salvage something from the task. Jamali's reaction to being disqualified was great though.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Heavy_D posted:

On the topic of No More Jockies, this week's episode featured one of the all time great opening categories (and challenge thereof). Then it ended with one of the worst plays in a long time, bowled twice in one delivery...

I would argue that Dick Dastardly is a sportsperson, so really it's thrice

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Tsaedje posted:

I would argue that Dick Dastardly is a sportsperson, so really it's thrice

Oh yeah, and appears on TV with a dog, and probably on the cover of a book. Just an utter brain explosion.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Vintage Key all over. Undoubtedly the most dangerous player of the game, albeit often to himself.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

tsob posted:

I think the best ones are the simple ones with some time for the various contestants to think. Sausage/finger
I was in the audience for Sausage/Finger, and the actual length of time that was played was a *LOT* longer than the bit that made it to the broadcast.

I'm sure it wasn't, but it felt like a solid 30 minutes of sausage/finger goodness before it came to an end - I remember Alex and Greg joking on stage that the editors were going to have a field day with it.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

GazChap posted:

I was in the audience for Sausage/Finger, and the actual length of time that was played was a *LOT* longer than the bit that made it to the broadcast.

I'm sure it wasn't, but it felt like a solid 30 minutes of sausage/finger goodness before it came to an end - I remember Alex and Greg joking on stage that the editors were going to have a field day with it.

An extended version of "Sausage or Finger" was uploaded on Dave's YouTube.
Someone saved it to Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/302886741

There was a lot cut, so I appreciate that production uploaded it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I recognise the name: that someone is the lead editor on the show.

Cheers for sharing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh my god.

Not even going to say what I’m talking about. loving hell, Mike.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The latest Series 11 TM ep is loving gold.
I was thinking this is really scrapping the barrel if they are doing a fart contest, but holy poo poo.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Also, when you really think about it, Jamali quite literally stomped his way to victory, the prize task was the only time he didn't crush anything underfoot

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
Since we're talking about No More Jockeys does anyone know if the precursor series is online somewhere? It was a "digital bonus feature" for "We Need Answers" called "No more women". There were a series of ten matches between Key and Watson, with Horne as referee/timekeeper. Strict time controls, with a chess clock, but otherwise the same game. The matches were really fun but they don't seem to exist on YouTube any more.

E: v Video shows as unavailable/private for me

Undead Hippo fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 23, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Undead Hippo posted:

Since we're talking about No More Jockeys does anyone know if the precursor series is online somewhere? It was a "digital bonus feature" for "We Need Answers" called "No more women". There were a series of ten matches between Key and Watson, with Horne as referee/timekeeper. Strict time controls, with a chess clock, but otherwise the same game. The matches were really fun but they don't seem to exist on YouTube any more.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/we_need_answers/videos/1247/no_more_women_round_1_the_shed/

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I think this should be it:
https://mega.nz/folder/G2IxGaZJ#7XvWKifSCe1KKwkqJY484A/folder/S2RSwAoa

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Nice, thanks.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
I now have the "Let's Meet the Contestants" song from We Need Answers in my head

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heavy_D posted:

Also, when you really think about it, Jamali quite literally stomped his way to victory, the prize task was the only time he didn't crush anything underfoot

The episode in general was pretty mean-spirited. Between Jamali's outbursts, making a vegan eat an egg and bite into a leather wallet, and torturing Mike Wozniak until he dislodged a haemorrhoid, I don't know what's nastier. Not that it's necessarily bad in terms of viewing experience.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Paladinus posted:

The episode in general was pretty mean-spirited. Between Jamali's outbursts, making a vegan eat an egg and bite into a leather wallet, and torturing Mike Wozniak until he dislodged a haemorrhoid, I don't know what's nastier. Not that it's necessarily bad in terms of viewing experience.

the wallet wasn't leather (according to an ashamed Alex) but yeah the egg was not great, and tbh I'd be raising questions about the batter itself too

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Some incredibly strong Partridge energy from Richard Madeley at the start of This Is My House this week with his OJ Simpson story.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Richard has been more Alan than Alan for the last few years at least

I would watch anything with him in it :/

https://twitter.com/MarieAnnUK/status/1385343888018350083?s=19

crispix fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 24, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had to laugh when I went to the wiki entry for presenters of Good Morning Britain that I couldn’t see a mention of him. When I went to his wiki page it says

quote:

Since August 2017 Madeley has been a relief presenter on ITV's breakfast programme Good Morning Britain.[citation needed][/citation]

How has nobody been able to verify this in 4 years?!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've recently gotten into watching Yes, Minister and I think I'm in love with Nigel Hawthorne. Humphrey is just delightfully obstructive.

Then I saw they tried a reboot with David Haig and it was awful. Haig can play subtle madness really well, but they just had him going full ham.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've recently gotten into watching Yes, Minister and I think I'm in love with Nigel Hawthorne. Humphrey is just delightfully obstructive.

Then I saw they tried a reboot with David Haig and it was awful. Haig can play subtle madness really well, but they just had him going full ham.

The bbc went throught a phase of rebooting every classic comedy and every single one was bizzarely more slapstick and broader than the original.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

"So many wrong'uns you know. We did OJ Simpson, Judy and I, yeah, about 6 months after he was acquitted, it was obvious within about 3 or 4 minutes. That isn't the same as proof in a court of law but in terms of that" *slaps chest* "It was obvious he was lying"

Two days later I am still thinking about this and it brings me a lot of joy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Extremely "Accidental Partidge" here!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Channel 5 is a trove of them

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

the channel 5 backlog is my guilty pleasure

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Me and the wife have recently gotten into the current series of Taskmaster. Which are some good past series to binge?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PriorMarcus posted:

Me and the wife have recently gotten into the current series of Taskmaster. Which are some good past series to binge?

All of them. Seriously, this show has the golden touch when it comes to picking cast members.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Even the ones that people widely agree are the weakest seasons still usually have at least a couple genuinely great tasks and moments. There's enough dissent on which ones are the weakest that your mileage may vary as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

All of them. Seriously, this show has the golden touch when it comes to picking cast members.

All of them, then find a copy of Taskmaster NZ. It’s just as good.