Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Everyone in this thread should have watched Misfits, best thing on British TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

I just wish they'd drop the live studio audience at the start when they were introducing themselves they were louder than the presenters.
I could have sworn Lauren's mic was busted but it could just be the crowd being obnoxious.

Also the other thing that's bugging me about 10 O'Clock Live is how Jimmy seems to be using the "look towards crowd then make a bewildered face to the camera" thing after at least half the jokes in his monologue bit. I mean, it's kind of funny, but it probably won't stay funny.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, it really sounded like the mics just weren't working for a bit.

'It's live a show, what are you gonna do?'

Also, it sometimes seems like Jimmy Carr either hasn't seen, or just doesn't like, the material he has do in that section. Maybe it's just an live vs. editing thing, but I've never seen him look so unsure of himself on any other show.

Fishbus posted:

I have to say the music is particularly ill fitting. I really really don't want food to be portrayed as epic.

No?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9iz3KVT0Y0

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 18, 2011

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Some Strange Flea posted:

I could have sworn Lauren's mic was busted but it could just be the crowd being obnoxious.

Also the other thing that's bugging me about 10 O'Clock Live is how Jimmy seems to be using the "look towards crowd then make a bewildered face to the camera" thing after at least half the jokes in his monologue bit. I mean, it's kind of funny, but it probably won't stay funny.

Pretty sure it was just her mic was off or the volume wasn't up.

He's done that every week. I would take that as an indication they need better writers.

Also the audience never knows when to shut up.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

DiscoJ posted:

Yeah, it really sounded like the mics just weren't working for a bit.

'It's live a show, what are you gonna do?'

Also, it sometimes seems like Jimmy Carr either hasn't seen, or just doesn't like, the material he has do in that section. Maybe it's just an live vs. editing thing, but I've never seen him look so unsure of himself on any other show.

No?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9iz3KVT0Y0

I could watch masterchef all day if it was presented exactly like that :D.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Hustle talk:

Albert :ohdear:

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I still think Jimmy Carr's dragging 10 O'Clock Live down on his own. His sketches are uniformly terrible and yeah, I've noticed his really loving annoying "pause and look shocked at audience reaction after every single joke" gimmick as well.

Honestly, I still think that it should just be Brooker and Mitchell with maybe a rotating guest or two. Laverne was beyond useless this week but tends to do well when she's actually allowed to say something, so maybe let her expand beyond her mediator role?

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Sion posted:

Hustle talk:

Albert :ohdear:

More like :smith:

Really took me by surprise, was expecting the classic Hustle out-of-the-bag-at-the-last-minute ending.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Adrianics posted:

I still think Jimmy Carr's dragging 10 O'Clock Live down on his own. His sketches are uniformly terrible and yeah, I've noticed his really loving annoying "pause and look shocked at audience reaction after every single joke" gimmick as well.

Honestly, I still think that it should just be Brooker and Mitchell with maybe a rotating guest or two. Laverne was beyond useless this week but tends to do well when she's actually allowed to say something, so maybe let her expand beyond her mediator role?

I agree. Though as much as I like David Mitchell I'm still not sure wether he's actually suited to this kind program, especially the interview/debates.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm turning into a gameshow fan or something, started watching the Million Pound Drop tonight and quite enjoyed playing along, even if some of the questions were just viciously difficult. A question about someone's twitter update on the day of the show? Really?

Apparently this is the third season, but I'd not heard of it until tonight.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

dog days are over posted:

I'm turning into a gameshow fan or something, started watching the Million Pound Drop tonight and quite enjoyed playing along, even if some of the questions were just viciously difficult. A question about someone's twitter update on the day of the show? Really?

Apparently this is the third season, but I'd not heard of it until tonight.

I always play along online. I even post an update on my Facebook wall, but nobody ever plays with me. :( . Anyone would think they had something better to do on a Friday night.

Some of the questions are very tough though. They often have questions about things which happened that day, so it pays to thoroughly read the newspapers if you're playing that night. I thought the Madonna question was a bit cruel (only a few months either way in both cases, and I would have probably gone for American Pie too if I didn't have the luxury of G**gle. Plus the fact that I wasn't playing with real money.)

I think the key to this game is to be brave earlier on with the easier questions and if you're even only partly sure of the correct answer just put the full amount on it and don't split. The later questions are often so hard that it comes down to a matter of pure guesswork and the more money you have to split at this stage the better. That is unless you're playing online where it is fairly pointless splitting at all, especially if you're playing for a Davina shout-out.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

goatface posted:

He seemed to be saying that protests work in other countries, but the British government ignores them so protesters in this country are stupid.

What he more or less said was that the only protests that work have been overly violent, like the poll tax protests.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gram-O-Phone posted:

That is unless you're playing online where it is fairly pointless splitting at all, especially if you're playing for a Davina shout-out.

I put my name as knobjockey in the hopes I could get Davina to say it on TV. I don't think she would though. :smith:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The main thing I learned from the telly this week is that when an elephant dies, a loving million horrible maggots will feast on it for weeks, and a hyena will climb into its arse.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

I hadn't heard that he'd tweeted, but the joke stealing part of that question happened last July and was pretty well known.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Leyburn posted:

The main thing I learned from the telly this week is that when an elephant dies, a loving million horrible maggots will feast on it for weeks, and a hyena will climb into its arse.

I think I may have accidentally jumped into that show at the wrong time. On a slightly unrelated yet related matter, a few weeks back I went to take the bins out at my house. I walk them down a 20 metre driveway and when I've done so, I look around and think "gently caress, that's a lot of rice everywhere". Except it's not rice. It's maggots. All over the other dozen or so bins, and the pavement and road. loving unseemly, and my neighbours are dirty fucks

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

More like :smith:

Really took me by surprise, was expecting the classic Hustle out-of-the-bag-at-the-last-minute ending.

I was expecting him to go with them so they can start to phase Albert out of the show. Every week he does less and less and he seems old and tired (not looking to sound mean - the bloke's fairly clocking in at this point since he was Napoleon 'The loving Man' Solo in The Man from UNCLE). I thought they'd pick him up, move him to the states and then leave him there for a christmas special where he is all "Guys I am in trouble in the states with my daughter and fiancé. Can you all come out to the US and do a big con here please?"

Honestly that would be a goddamn brilliant thing to have as a Christmas special.

Also the show's getting packaged hard for the American market. They were even having chinese food out of the little white boxes rather than proud British silver tray things that you cut your loving finger on whenever you need to open them.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I think I may have accidentally jumped into that show at the wrong time. On a slightly unrelated yet related matter, a few weeks back I went to take the bins out at my house. I walk them down a 20 metre driveway and when I've done so, I look around and think "gently caress, that's a lot of rice everywhere". Except it's not rice. It's maggots. All over the other dozen or so bins, and the pavement and road. loving unseemly, and my neighbours are dirty fucks

I switched over to that program at a fairly inopportune moment too. 'As you can see the flies are feeding on the leaking feces coming from the hyena's rectum' *extreme close up of hyena's bollocks and backside*.

I was quite put off my digestive.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
^^^
Is that you guys say instead of "I lost my appetite"? I found it funny because I've never heard that saying before.

Is this where the Hustle discussion is? I have a thread, but it's pretty dead. I think that was the first Albert subplot that I found interesting. You saw it coming, but it was still quite sad. The song at the end felt out of place though. A little too cheesy. But I loved that episode. It was just one of the more solid ones imo.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Nah a digestive is a biscuit. I didn't want to eat it anymore after seeing a hyena getting its ring piece cleaned by bloatflies.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Adrianics posted:

nah, they both do their own thing and it works. Especially Laverne's slightly more serious parts where she she is giving some spotlight to some serious issues that the news hardly touch. The bankers in need thing has been pretty good aswell and Laverne's sketch this week was well done. She also seems like the only one with strong convictions/political opinions or maybe that's just me.

Getting her to take part in the guest interview seems like a step in the right direction (despite that guy having horrible ideas) but I agree that she doesn't get much to do outside of her role as presenter.

How many people would watch a programme with just Brooker and Mitchell? (except for this whole thread)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

le chat posted:

nah, they both do their own thing and it works. Especially Laverne's slightly more serious parts where she she is giving some spotlight to some serious issues that the news hardly touch. The bankers in need thing has been pretty good aswell and Laverne's sketch this week was well done. She also seems like the only one with strong convictions/political opinions or maybe that's just me.

Getting her to take part in the guest interview seems like a step in the right direction (despite that guy having horrible ideas) but I agree that she doesn't get much to do outside of her role as presenter.

How many people would watch a programme with just Brooker and Mitchell? (except for this whole thread)
loads of people I reckon. Laverne is definitely not reeling in many viewers herself and I would imagine Carr isn't either really. Brooker and Mitchell are the selling point

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Paperhouse posted:

loads of people I reckon. Laverne is definitely not reeling in many viewers herself and I would imagine Carr isn't either really. Brooker and Mitchell are the selling point

I'd agree with this. All of my friends who watch 10 o clock live don't like Laverne or Carr. The only reason they watch it is for Brooker and Mitchell...

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I must admit, I'd happily watch an hour's worth of Mitchell and Brooker's 'Everything Is poo poo and This Is Why'.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Sion posted:

Napoleon 'The loving Man' Solo in The Man from UNCLE

loving hell, this blew my mind. I never made the connection. And I loving loved The Man from UNCLE.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

spincube posted:

I must admit, I'd happily watch an hour's worth of Mitchell and Brooker's 'Everything Is poo poo and This Is Why'.

Make this, Zeppotron!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Speaking of Brooker, it seems that How TV Ruined My Life is not on this week :(

Gotta make way for the cricket world cup I guess.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Catzilla posted:

This is correct, the next new episode is March 1 and will be called Progress

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
Katie Price is butchering Queen's 'I Want To Break Free' on BBC1. Death of a culture~

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

I put my name as knobjockey in the hopes I could get Davina to say it on TV. I don't think she would though. :smith:

I'll still be listening out for it tonight though :D

I just used my real name for my Facebook account so if she does give me a mention I'd just be 'Matt from Devon'. I mean, that could be anyone. I'll just have to assume it's me if it happens.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Somebody tell me they stay up late enough too to be loving irritated by those stupid 5 minute long Advanced Hair Studio adverts

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Somebody tell me they stay up late enough too to be loving irritated by those stupid 5 minute long Advanced Hair Studio adverts

are those the Shane Warne and the Brit who commentates on cricket in Australia ones? Because if so, they're on all day

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

gently caress everything about Episodes.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Catzilla posted:

Gotta make way for the cricket world cup I guess.

Boo, postponing one of the few shows I bother to watch in favour of tediously dull sporting coverage. Stop ruining my life, TV.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I think you guys are missing the most important topic concerning television right now, Jo Jo from Take Me Out finally got a date last night.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Crab posted:

I think you guys are missing the most important topic concerning television right now, Jo Jo from Take Me Out finally got a date last night.

Really? Without wanting to sound like a bitch (and totally failing) was she the only one left?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Apparently, Great Unanswered Questions, a hidden gem from BBC Norn Iron, is back. Two episodes on iPlayer.

I can't understand why they don't show this on the rest of the network. It's ace.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable

Rarity posted:

Really? Without wanting to sound like a bitch (and totally failing) was she the only one left?

That honour would probably belong to Zsa Zsa, ughh, what a terrifying lady. Jojo seemed like a really nice girl, she was always giving dudes a chance, even the old dude!

I'm surprised Lucy hasn't gone yet though, she is a pretty good looking welsh girl.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

thehustler posted:

Apparently, Great Unanswered Questions, a hidden gem from BBC Norn Iron, is back. Two episodes on iPlayer.

I can't understand why they don't show this on the rest of the network. It's ace.

Nice, I'd no idea they'd turned it into a TV show. I listened to the radio series quite a bit on Radio Ulster if and when I remembered about it.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

King Crab posted:

That honour would probably belong to Zsa Zsa, ughh, what a terrifying lady. Jojo seemed like a really nice girl, she was always giving dudes a chance, even the old dude!

I'm surprised Lucy hasn't gone yet though, she is a pretty good looking welsh girl.

Yeh Jojo is adorable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

le chat posted:

Like I said, Laverne is very good when she's allowed to cut loose - She's had two monologues in particular that should have been expanded on, because her material was genuinely terrifying and rousing. I really do wish she got to do more of that and less of "RIGHT LADS LET ME SEE IF I UNDERSTAND THIS".

I just don't see where Carr fits in - Everything he does feels crowbarred and forced, and completely ruins any momentum a given episode has been given by Brooker and Mitchell's contributions. Honestly, he could be chucked with no explanation and the show wouldn't suffer a jot. The idea of anyone saying, with a completely straight face, that stuff like the 'Major Cutbacks' sketch (loving hell did he seriously just make a 'problem with my privates' joke??) is what Ten O'Clock live needs to succeed is... Well, a little worrying.

I remember one thing Carr said that I think sums up his problem: He just up and abruptly ended a conversation on work conditions (I think) started by Mitchell by saying "well, sometimes life isn't fair". Thanks a lot for that stunning insight Jim, might as well pack up the satire show and go home in that case.

edit: And considering the huge, dedicated fan bases that both Mitchell and Brooker have, I think that plenty of people would watch 10 O'Clock Live if it were just the two of them. No question.