Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Raeg posted:

For years I've been trying to remember what this show was called for the exact reason of child murder via space death. I could never find anything through googling it because all I remembered was some kind of giant swinging spiked ball that getting hit by sent you to the cold depths of space.

I'm genuinely surprised more than one person remembers it.

Also there seems to be zero footage of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
The adventure game had a talking pot plant sucking kids into the eternal void of space.

Knightmare used to off kids in all manner of different ways, a swinging spiked ball sounds totally on brand there but it was medieval themed.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

Haven’t had chance to give Gladiators a proper try yet, but really glad they leaned into the ‘let’s do everything the same as the 90s’ aspect, from logos and music to presumably the same arena.

It is gloriously wholesome and ridiculous and the homoerotic subtext from the 90s is now text in mile high flaming letters, and this is wonderful.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Switched on ITV for some of their Oscars coverage before I went to bed and what a dire state of affairs it was. Bunch of people who didn't really seem all that interested in movies trying to struggle for something to say and all oddly agreeing that OPPENHEIMER wasn't that good and was the weakest of the nominees. It was pretty clear that they hadn't all even seen the movies that were nominated. I get none of it is serious but it's wild that you can't even throw together some people who might be interested in whats going on? They didn't even learn the right way to pronounce most people's names.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 11, 2024

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I thought one of Johnathon Ross' things was liking film, was he bad as well?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Pottery throwdown spoilers
Absolutely obvious from day one who was going to win. Still felt nice I guess - honestly if she'd hosed up and Dan had won I'd probably have been kinda annoyed. I know that you can't go "well you did really well before and yea you hosed up once but you deserved the win" but when it DOESN'T happen like that it often feels lovely. When a person is the best in 10 episodes but ruins it in episode 11 it feels like a bit of a bad narrative.

Watching things like Throwdown and Masterchef and Landscape Artist does make me wonder how much input the show producers have on who actually wins. With Landscape you've gotta present the final episode so if they picked one of the mega awkward people it'd probably end up with a really uncomfortable episode - that sorta thing.
I know that in gameshows that have returning people - say for example Blockbusters, or Pointless - they'll often 'fix it' in a way by putting up someone stupid so the person who the audience likes gets a better story. I just wonder how much of that happens in these other things.

The Apprentice nowadays is basically all fixed and about the story now, doesn't seem unreasonable that other shows might also be.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

I thought one of Johnathon Ross' things was liking film, was he bad as well?

I read another discussion elsewhere which was that, given his Ditko documentary, his Kamen Rider collection, and all that poo poo, he absolutely loving knows but is compelled to pretend he doesn't so the unwashed masses don't feel intimidated/stupid/sincerity/educated/etc.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Taear posted:

Pottery throwdown spoilers
Absolutely obvious from day one who was going to win. Still felt nice I guess - honestly if she'd hosed up and Dan had won I'd probably have been kinda annoyed. I know that you can't go "well you did really well before and yea you hosed up once but you deserved the win" but when it DOESN'T happen like that it often feels lovely. When a person is the best in 10 episodes but ruins it in episode 11 it feels like a bit of a bad narrative.

That's true, though I was still rooting for Dan. It hasn't been this one sided since season one. Pretty weird that Donna didn't tell her kids. I wonder what story they told them.

Overall, I think they've been handling the judging well the past few seasons. I remember being quite upset about some of the decisions in the early seasons. I'm still mad about Elaine's elimination in season two.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

moosferatu posted:

That's true, though I was still rooting for Dan. It hasn't been this one sided since season one. Pretty weird that Donna didn't tell her kids. I wonder what story they told them.

Overall, I think they've been handling the judging well the past few seasons. I remember being quite upset about some of the decisions in the early seasons. I'm still mad about Elaine's elimination in season two.

More throwdown stuff
Jan going still felt weird as hell. Not to say she hadn't done kinda badly in that episode but i felt Dave did worse.
I don't like Dan though, he has a weird divorced dad energy to him. He also comes off like he has loads of money but I guess how can you possibly be doing pottery if you haven't got loads of money

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Taear posted:

More throwdown stuff
Jan going still felt weird as hell. Not to say she hadn't done kinda badly in that episode but i felt Dave did worse.
I don't like Dan though, he has a weird divorced dad energy to him. He also comes off like he has loads of money but I guess how can you possibly be doing pottery if you haven't got loads of money

In regards to Jan, I think they did a poor job editing the episode to justify their choice. But, the choice wasn't confusing to me personally. Jan's form wasn't very good or as ambitious as Dave's. Dave's didn't turn out very well, but this was primarily because of his accident. The original form was better, and persevered to salvage it as best he could, which they acknowledged also shows skill. I think it could have been either of them, but I don't think Jan was an unreasonable choice.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

moosferatu posted:

In regards to Jan, I think they did a poor job editing the episode to justify their choice. But, the choice wasn't confusing to me personally. Jan's form wasn't very good or as ambitious as Dave's. Dave's didn't turn out very well, but this was primarily because of his accident. The original form was better, and persevered to salvage it as best he could, which they acknowledged also shows skill. I think it could have been either of them, but I don't think Jan was an unreasonable choice.

I wouldn't say it was confusing - like I said she had made mistakes and it wasn't really down to her not deserving to go. It just felt like Dave completely hosed it that week and even he expected to go.
Every week in every episode of the show I've been able to call who is going to leave, it's usually pretty clear. That's the only one where I went "Oh, huh?"

It's not at the level of Jurgen leaving in Bake Off, more just a little surprising when all the rest of the time it never is

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started the UK version of Traitors earlier and I like Claudia but I was partially clicking to see some more Alan Cummings outfits, so it was an unfair start. I did like the first line-up game, don't know if I'll see it all through but I do want to know: Do the two immediately cut people ever sneak back into the game as double secret traitors or something, or was it just a straight up cut?

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Started the UK version of Traitors earlier and I like Claudia but I was partially clicking to see some more Alan Cummings outfits, so it was an unfair start. I did like the first line-up game, don't know if I'll see it all through but I do want to know: Do the two immediately cut people ever sneak back into the game as double secret traitors or something, or was it just a straight up cut?

In series 1? Yes, they return to the game at a later date.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Man, the final series of the Crown really is loving atrocious. Granted, it's been on a downward slope since the Coleman era, but the number of times I groaned 'oh gently caress OFF...' in this one was unparalleled.

Ghosts, characters talking to their past selves, domestic staff spontaneously breaking into folk singing at the sound of bagpipes, the Hallmark quality Will-and-Kate romance stuff...just awful.
I'm very glad it's over.

...although now I hope they bring it back just for Johnson, Truss, and the current 'where's Kate' mystery...

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Watched the first episode of Things You Should Have Done last night.

Wife fell asleep immediately but I thought it was fairly original and somewhat funny in places.

Brought back memories though as it's based in Ramsgate and featured a road I got arrested on a while back.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I've been watching The Gentleman on Netflix. It's standard Guy Ritchie shlock but I've been enjoying it so far.

Could not figure out where I knew the female lead from, turns out she was Effy in Skins (17 years ago!)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Slash posted:

I've been watching The Gentleman on Netflix. It's standard Guy Ritchie shlock but I've been enjoying it so far.

Could not figure out where I knew the female lead from, turns out she was Effy in Skins (17 years ago!)

Im really enjoying this too. Kaya Scodelario plays an absolutely pitch perfect Michelle Dockery - it’s absolutely uncanny.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I wonder how much success winning Landscape Artist gives people? So far it kinda feels like the answer is "Not much" although each winner does at least seem to be working in art still.

What I've found REALLY weird is there's an actual series in 2020. They cut the amount of artists down from 8 to 6 and they're quite spaced out but they make NO reference to it whatsoever. They also made no reference to frank skinner being gone. Is this because the show assumes you're watching portrait artist and they talked about it there?
Every other programme specifically says "we've made these changes because of Covid"

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

Man Motormouth. Of absolutely no note beyond being my neophyte encounter with anime via Samurai Pizza Cats.

And that really good Mouse Trap gameshow with the guy who did that Scary House gameshow that "killed off" the contestants (both the winners and the losers) as was the vogue at the time.

More children's gameshows should threaten kayfabe death. I remember obscure family channel (?) gameshow The Big Dish because they just randomly "punted a kid out of an airlock" to round down from 51 to 50 in their 100 contestant gameshow but anything from the last ten years? Not really.

Late to the party here but the kids in Terror Towers weren't "killed" as such, they were told they had to live in Terror Towers......FOREVER *cue Steve Johnson wiggling his eyebrows and laughing maniacally*

Steve did however also present the precursor to Mouse Trap on Motormouth, called "It's Torture!" where the kids WERE "killed off" in particularly gruesome ways. There's pretty much no footage of it but I distinctively remember a general knowledge round where "1 Ton" weights were lowered on top of players heads and another round where they were on some sort of treadmill and answering questions incorrectly led them to falling into a vat of "lava".

All good clean fun, though 8 year old me was absolutely terrified of it at the time

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
https://youtu.be/JBIXuAMo0Ng?feature=shared

Yep. That sure is some keyfabe child endangerment happening there.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

https://youtu.be/JBIXuAMo0Ng?feature=shared

Yep. That sure is some keyfabe child endangerment happening there.

Wow, thanks for this! Last time I checked (admittedly a long time ago) I couldn't find any existing footage. The early series of Motormouth was removed from the ITV archives.

mclem
Oct 2, 2021

Dell_Zincht posted:

Wow, thanks for this! Last time I checked (admittedly a long time ago) I couldn't find any existing footage. The early series of Motormouth was removed from the ITV archives.

The Youtube channel I mentioned earlier that was uploading a bunch of Number 73s has also now uploaded a couple of full-ish (i.e. cartoons and maybe some music performances clipped out) episodes of Motormouth. Given the name, it looks like they're working through archival stuff from Maidstone specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/@Made-in-Maidstone/videos

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
drat, some of those look like they’re from the VT masters, especially ‘It’s a Mystery’ with the countdown clock at the start.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

My cub pack was on No 73 once

We sat around on the floor doing nothing all morning. Set dressing

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
(i meant to post this in Sopranas thread so here's Nandor instead)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
has anyone seen Diane Morgan's thing, Mandy, on BBC?

I wasn't sure what to make of it at the start but either it's grown on me or it's got funnier as it's gone on. The episode Nandy in the latest series lool

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Mandy is great, I would say the first episode sets up expectations on how things will go nicely.

Just watched race across the world, like a lot of these things you have no idea what the producers force or what other unseen rules they have but some seem to absolutely piss through the money.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Starbucks posted:

Mandy is great, I would say the first episode sets up expectations on how things will go nicely.

Just watched race across the world, like a lot of these things you have no idea what the producers force or what other unseen rules they have but some seem to absolutely piss through the money.

there was that dad and daughter combo in the last series where the dad had a crippling taxi addiction

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Meet The Richardson is definitely no more; Jon and Lucy are getting divorced in the real world.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Meet The Richardson is definitely no more; Jon and Lucy are getting divorced in the real world.

I've never seen a single episode of Meet the Richardsons but that's still pretty gutting. They both seem like lovely weirdos.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Never fear Chris and Rosie Ramsay are right there to pick up all the couple-led projects.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Starbucks posted:

I was completely baffled by why Eugenie and her daughter decided to take a complete detour to Sado Island, I know Japan is pretty but yeah, I wonder if some travel companies are getting kickbacks for this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pablo Bluth posted:

Makes her podcast with Sam Campbell eyebrow raising.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Joe Lycett called it 4od instead of All4 on a special intro to his show on the service, and I honestly think they'll rebrand back one day.

Edit: it isn't even called All4 anymore omg

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I thought it was just 4 now? Or did it change again?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Channel 4X
e: it's amazing that the beeb swooped on and have kept iPlayer, a name entirely derivative of another company's IP.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

I told the BBC to drop the ‘The’ and make it cleaner that way

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Channel 4X
e: it's amazing that the beeb swooped on and have kept iPlayer, a name entirely derivative of another company's IP.

Being fair its a viatigial tail of their old Interactive (red button / Ceefax replacement) services, BBCi

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Being fair its a viatigial tail of their old Interactive (red button / Ceefax replacement) services, BBCi

Oh, that's neat. I didn't know they had a justification for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Feels so weird to see it advertised everywhere and think "this is why they're divorced now"
I mean you can't say for sure it is but it's just...strange? I dunno