Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Ashley's the only one of the main characters who isn't utterly terrible.
Who thought this was a great basis for a comedy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Cerv posted:

I'm about to start watching it on 4+1, but i think the concept has promise. Like, imagine the IT Crowd, but darker and set around an ambulance/hospital without a laugh track.

I think it's trying to reach for the Four Lions type of humor but isn't providing the right balance of wacky absurdity against the serious undertones.

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 5, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Kin posted:

I'm about to start watching it on 4+1, but i think the concept has premice. Like, imagine the IT Crowd, but darker and set around an ambulance/hospital without a laugh track.

I think it's trying to reach for the Four Lions type of humor but isn't providing the right balance of wacky absurdity against the serious undertones.

I'm going to give it another shot next week, I'm not quite sure what to think yet. I was expecting something more Scrubs-ish, so I went into it wrong.

some fantastic
Oct 29, 2010

Cerv posted:

I think it might've been a decent basis for a comedy if more than one of the 4 main characters was at all interesting. And if there were jokes in it.

The main paramedic guy and the policewoman are just a chore to watch because they're both so flat and miserable, and their conversations with each other are just depressing, trite bullshit about their various issues.

I want to like it because of Robb Stark but I don't think it's happening.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

ChuckDHead posted:

Channel 4 have put it up on 4OD, if you feel the need to make yourself very angry.

Watched a bit and bookmarked for later - it seems like it's going to be a good episode, but still showing a bunch of horrible people in a terrible light which is what it does so well. I hope they get their comeuppance.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

some fantastic posted:

I want to like it because of Robb Stark but I don't think it's happening.
Can people not just use the actor's name? Or the characters name?
Because not everyone watches your nerd poo poo you know. And it's not helpful when google returns pages of apparently irrelevant spergapedia stuff.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Cerv posted:

Because not everyone watches your nerd poo poo you know. And it's not helpful when google returns pages of apparently irrelevant spergapedia stuff.

Just a general description of who they mean would help, I basically don't learn character names till a few episodes in.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
IMDb tells me he is talking about Richard Madden, who apparently comes from the town next to mine. Now I'm wondering what school he went to.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

goatface posted:

Most of my student landlords (I've had 6 in the last 7 years) have been pretty decent. A couple have been feckless, moronic and useless, but I don't think I'd describe them as malicious. I know people with stories though.

People who become landlords generally see it as a surefire way of making money for little to no effort. They general take what money they have, buy a property for that exact amount, stick an extra £100-£200 on top of the mortgage payments each month and charge that as rent.

Best case scenario, someone moves in straight away, the rent gets paid, they're happy. Then the boiler breaks and the landlord hasn't got the money to cover it and it all goes wrong.

Worst case scenario, the property is vacant for a couple of months, the landlord gets a tenant, but falls behind on the mortgage. A few months into the tenancy the bank forecloses on the property and the tenants are chucked out.

But the landlord on Dispatches was heading a proper company, with some mad turnover (he had a mansion!). Greed and contempt were evident throughout everything. Landlords across the board generally dissolve into uncaring money-grubbing arseholes, never able to appreciate that the house they are letting might technically be theirs in terms of ownership, but to the tenants it is their home

By the way I work for a landlord company, so I see this behaviour bursting through every day. You just have to hope people work for your landlord that have an ounce of compassion, and that the landlord/company has the money to set things right.

Cerv posted:

He used the name Robb Stark not only as an identifier for people who know who Robb Stark is, but also as that's the only name he has for the guy, and as well as that, the fact this guy is Robb Stark is what makes him want to watch and like it in the first place.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
This is why I refer to people only by their hairstyles.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
At least he said "Robb Stark", unlike Zorba who just said "That guy who plays Robb" which was completely unintelligible even though I've seen a couple of episodes of A Game of Thrones.

Then again he not only doesn't like Babylon 5 but also acts with astonishment when people say they like it so who knows what's going on

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Padje posted:

He used the name Robb Stark not only as an identifier for people who know who Robb Stark is, but also as that's the only name he has for the guy, and as well as that, the fact this guy is Robb Stark is what makes him want to watch and like it in the first place.
Could have looked up the actor's name. *shrug*

Shame the characters in Sirens don't all wear name badges. Would make things easier.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

At least he said "Robb Stark", unlike Zorba who just said "That guy who plays Robb" which was completely unintelligible even though I've seen a couple of episodes of A Game of Thrones.

Then again he not only doesn't like Babylon 5 but also acts with astonishment when people say they like it so who knows what's going on

Well oh well. I know the actors name now so I'll use that. Chill.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Cerv posted:

Shame the characters in Sirens don't all wear name badges. Would make things easier.

Can't we just call them "the sociopathic one", "the gay one", and "the really dickish one" till we actually know their names?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cerv posted:

They do :ssh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kin posted:

Woah!!!

Zorba the Greek posted:

Well oh well. I know the actors name now so I'll use that. Chill.

Mainly that comment was because I missed the whole B5/Farscape discussion and so didn't get the chance to laugh at you dismissing the best heavily serialised television programme* as a pile of poo poo or whatever that Spaced quote is.

*The Wire is fantastic but I would never have been able to watch it an episode a week as I would not have any clue of what was going on.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 5, 2011

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Kin posted:

:downsbravo:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ChuckDHead posted:

Can't we just call them "the sociopathic one", "the gay one", and "the really dickish one" till we actually know their names?

You forgot "the girl one".

Stuart, Ashley, Rachid, Maxine

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cerv posted:

:downsbravo:

It was more for Zorba's benefit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cerv posted:

If there is one thing I could change about this forum, other than the obvious purge of Star Trek, it would be forcing people to identify characters/actors properly. The scale and frequency of things like calling a woman "Lt. McTits" is absurd.

It combines low effort posting with stupidity, and often gross misogyny.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

If there is one thing I could change about this forum, other than the obvious purge of Star Trek, it would be forcing people to identify characters/actors properly. The scale and frequency of things like calling a woman "Lt. McTits" is absurd.

Hey, if the writers of SGU are too lovely to give her any other defining characteristics, then why should the viewers bother.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Which one is she?

I'm just awful with names in general. I watched most of the first series of SGU, and I basically only remember the names Eli and Rush.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kin posted:

Hey, if the writers of SGU are too lovely to give her any other defining characteristics, then why should the viewers bother.

Because calling a actress "Lt. McTits" is demeaning to her and indicative of, at best, immaturity in the viewer, and more likely misogyny ? Because finding out a character, or actor's name is the work of one minute on IMDB ?

Because using stupid and/or demeaning nick names for characters, particularly based on race or gender is the remit of the imbecile.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Because calling a actress "Lt. McTits" is demeaning to her and indicative of, at best, immaturity in the viewer, and more likely misogyny ? Because finding out a character, or actor's name is the work of one minute on IMDB ?

Because using stupid and/or demeaning nick names for characters, particularly based on race or gender is the remit of the imbecile.

Grow up.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No you.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Fatty, dorky, Lt Mctits, angry black man, bad commander, Lt. Bland Jesusfinder, Chloe, Asian Chloe, Other asian Chloe, A lesbian, Beefy lucian alliance man and Rush.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Because calling a actress "Lt. McTits" is demeaning to her and indicative of, at best, immaturity in the viewer, and more likely misogyny ?

Or it's just saying she is poorly written with no defining characteristics and the most noteworthy thing about the actress is her boobs. This does not equal hatred of women.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
On a forum where there has to be a specific rule to stop people calling female characters vapid cunts, I'm comfortable with the theory that it involves at least some degree of misogyny.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Tardstar posted:

Fatty, dorky, Lt Mctits, angry black man, bad commander, Lt. Bland Jesusfinder, Chloe, Asian Chloe, Other asian Chloe, A lesbian, Beefy lucian alliance man and Rush.

I watched almost the whole of season 1 of SGU, and honestly, the only people I could name were Eli and Rush.

I can remember most of those people, but who actually is "Lt Mctits"?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Lt. James. Her, Johansen, and Scott were the officers under Young.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Flatscan posted:

Grow up.

Yeah calling people McTits is what mature people alright

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Lt. James. Her, Johansen, and Scott were the officers under Young.

I've looked her up on wikipedia, and I still can't even remember her.

Was she the one who did paintings or something?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ChuckDHead posted:

I've looked her up on wikipedia, and I still can't even remember her.

Was she the one who did paintings or something?

No, that was the civilian who forgot a boat. Lt. McTits was the medic who had a mystical disappearing baby.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Kin posted:

It was more for Zorba's benefit.
Fair enough.

I wasn't going to say anything, but since other people have opened the sexism can of worms...
ChuckDHead - why did you list the three male characters but not Maxine?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah calling people McTits is what mature people alright

You're quite right, it isn't, but they don't throw massive hissy-fits about people doing it either.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

If "grow up" is a massive hissy-fit you must have a very quiet life.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Flatscan posted:

You're quite right, it isn't, but they don't throw massive hissy-fits about people doing it either.

Truly mature individuals just shake their head at misogyny, safe in the knowledge that as a white male it doesn't matter to us anyway

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

No, that was the civilian who forgot a boat. Lt. McTits was the medic who had a mystical disappearing baby.

No, Johanson was the pregnant blonde medic. The one people called Lt. McTits was Lt. James who was the brunette officer in the tedious love triange with Scott and Chloe.

Which reminds me I still haven't watched any of season two. Worth it if I generally thought season one was ok?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

The entire audience of Stargate U is posting in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Truly mature individuals just shake their head at misogyny, safe in the knowledge that as a white male it doesn't matter to us anyway

Correct!

Cerv posted:

If "grow up" is a massive hissy-fit you must have a very quiet life.

I'm the one that said "grow up" to Rapey Joe Stalin in response to his sperg-out about not getting characters names right.