Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

NaDy posted:

I especially loved how Howard screamed "JUMANJI!" as he climaxed.

I had a friend who used to do this. Never really got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
The Rich Hall thing was brilliant. I am now very angry about everything.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, uh, no one told me Aliens vs Wizards is basicly the Steel Ball Run of the Doctor Who universe...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

justcola posted:

He also did a show a few years ago about the portrayal of the deep south in film and television, that was also quite good. He seemed pretty on the ball throughout, good mix of respect and jokes. I'll give it a watch.

Both that show and this new one were absolutely fantastic. He really is good at this kind of thing

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
High praise from Kevin McCloud on the shed in Skye, one of his favourite houses.
The 2 girls came across really well and the builder fella looked reliable and conscientious which is quite a change from most of the builders they seem to have on Grand Designs.
Can't say I liked the house that much but the view was amazing and I liked that they had tried to make the building fit into the landscape rather than stand out like big a white elephant. I guess just the fact that the whole thing wasn't a vanity project like most of the places on the program made it appealing.

PlantHead fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 1, 2012

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Do we need a Young Apprentice thread?

Apprentice Goon Group assemble? :ohdear:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The Young Apprentice makes me physically ill, they are all such little cunts.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Metrication posted:

Successful little cunts.

I enjoy it, probably more than the regular Apprentice.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I'm surprised there isn't a young apprentice thread already.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Successful little cunts.

This is what makes it even more unwatchable.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Xachariah posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a young apprentice thread already.

I work evenings now :smith:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I didn't wanna start one since no one's really been talking about it anywhere. I can do it if people are interested though!

They are all incredibly awful this year with the possible exception of Tiny Bieber (Sean). I'm so happy Patrick stayed, his boardroom strop was great.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Metrication posted:

This is what makes it even more unwatchable.

I'd like to think that after the show once they start university that they'll grow up a bit and become reasonable people, though instead I'm imagining they'll go to university and be absolute wankers, insisting that capitalism is the best thing in the world and poor people just need to work harder and that, yes, that was them on that apprentice show, and they did shag that fit one, let's go to Spearmint Rhino and leer at the plebs whilst snorting over-priced cocaine and desperately needing their father's acknowledgement as the vomit burns up through their noses, Alan Sugar's face appearing in their peripheral vision as they have a flashback just before getting voted off. Upon graduation they start a business based on boiling the piss of diabetic pensioner's in order to extract the sugar, valuable commodity in the Wodehousesque cities of future England, probably in loving space or something.

Anyway, Danny Baker was fired from Radio 2 today but nobody told him about it until he turned up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/nov/01/axed-danny-baker-bbc-rant

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

thehustler posted:

Both that show and this new one were absolutely fantastic. He really is good at this kind of thing

I caught the one about the south a while ago and happened to catch this one with my girlfriend a few days ago. Both were excellent. Although me and the missus both noticed that he was guilty of quite a few of the things he was criticising. Namely having a lot of the Native Americans playing second fiddle to himself. But then again I probably wouldn't have given it the time of day if his name wasn't attached to it. So maybe I'm the problem...

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I'm always a little surprised there isn't more Fresh Meat talk in this thread, since it's one of the shows I most look forward to every week.

This most recent episode was pretty terrific, especially JP making out with Kingsley while holding him at gunpoint. All of the scenes with JP were pretty great, a nice balance between him being an insufferable entitled snot, and actually empathizing with his hosed up childhood ("is it normal to have two crying steps?" and "I know my dad loved me, even though he never said so, or implied it, or did anything to demonstrate it").

Also Josie's little story about the neck rubs (with her ex-fiance) is maybe the first genuinely sympathetic moment she's had in the whole show; it's clear that the reason she's so horrible and manipulative is because she's insecure, it was nice seeing at least a flash of human vulnerability there, rather than her endlessly trying to deflect everything.

I also approve of Sabine and Howard hooking up, especially since it was clear they both had a good time and there weren't any huge awkward undertones (and I love the JUMANJI! thing) Sabine is a great character because she's basically the best housemate imaginable, while still being oddly grating and annoying.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
If anyone is wondering whether they should bother catching up with Hebburn or seeing whether it's gotten any better, don't bother.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

7seven7 posted:

I caught the one about the south a while ago and happened to catch this one with my girlfriend a few days ago. Both were excellent. Although me and the missus both noticed that he was guilty of quite a few of the things he was criticising. Namely having a lot of the Native Americans playing second fiddle to himself. But then again I probably wouldn't have given it the time of day if his name wasn't attached to it. So maybe I'm the problem...

I liked it. Especially when he got slapped. That was hilarious.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

h_double posted:

I'm always a little surprised there isn't more Fresh Meat talk in this thread, since it's one of the shows I most look forward to every week.

I love Fresh Meat too, it's consistently fun, and Jack Whitehall is just so ridiculous, yet perfect, as JD. (And Howard is glorious too, Greg McHugh is a marvellous actor)

I think it's great that all the housemates have their sympathetic moments as well as their really horrible ones. And I kind of like the fact that Josie is rather awful. In these type of shows there's generally some typically bland, nicey-nice female character we're meant to root for, but here there's none. There's just a bunch of average, stupid, insecure that gently caress up a lot and then panic over it, just like any 19 year old would.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Fresh Meat is groundbreaking for its ability to give Jack Whitehall an appearance that is actually quite enjoyable to watch, rather than allowing him to be an insufferable shite like he was on everything he'd appeared in previously.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Captain Mediocre posted:

Fresh Meat is groundbreaking for its ability to give Jack Whitehall an appearance that is actually quite enjoyable to watch, rather than allowing him to be an insufferable shite like he was on everything he'd appeared in previously.

He was fine in his other show about him being a schoolteacher?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Stewart Lee did a thing in one of his shows where he talks about being invited to do standup at Pestival and how he was going to do it in a giant insect costume but couldn't.

I always assumed it was bullshit but then someone showed me this video and just made it all the more magical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IldJrguK0C4

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

h_double posted:

This most recent episode was pretty terrific, especially JP making out with Kingsley while holding him at gunpoint. All of the scenes with JP were pretty great, a nice balance between him being an insufferable entitled snot, and actually empathizing with his hosed up childhood ("is it normal to have two crying steps?" and "I know my dad loved me, even though he never said so, or implied it, or did anything to demonstrate it").

Also Josie's little story about the neck rubs (with her ex-fiance) is maybe the first genuinely sympathetic moment she's had in the whole show; it's clear that the reason she's so horrible and manipulative is because she's insecure, it was nice seeing at least a flash of human vulnerability there, rather than her endlessly trying to deflect everything.

I also approve of Sabine and Howard hooking up, especially since it was clear they both had a good time and there weren't any huge awkward undertones (and I love the JUMANJI! thing) Sabine is a great character because she's basically the best housemate imaginable, while still being oddly grating and annoying.

It's really grown on me, especially this season. And I agree on all of your points. They're sympathetic fuckups, often dicks but all relatable. The storylines aren't too detatched from reality, which makes them all the funnier.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Irisi posted:

And I kind of like the fact that Josie is rather awful. In these type of shows there's generally some typically bland, nicey-nice female character we're meant to root for, but here there's none.
This, in the first few episodes I think we're supposed to be rooting for her, I loved it when the rug was pulled out and we find that she is actually a manipulative, self absorbed, selfish person and not so perfect.

I also like to think that Kingsley is actually Simon from 'Inbetweeners' and he's changed his name to make himself cooler and it hasn't really worked. It's hilarious seeing him walking around in a fedora and reading 'The Game'. Such a goon.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Leon with a Zero posted:

He was fine in his other show about him being a schoolteacher?

Yeah, Bad Education was actually pretty good. Well-written.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Ddraig posted:

Stewart Lee did a thing in one of his shows where he talks about being invited to do standup at Pestival and how he was going to do it in a giant insect costume but couldn't.

I always assumed it was bullshit but then someone showed me this video and just made it all the more magical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IldJrguK0C4

I think he goes into this in his book, which I recommend to anyone a fan of Stewart Lee or interested in stand-up comedy/performing.

I'd like to catch up on Fresh Meat but I wasn't massively into the first few episodes I watched. I'm guessing it gets better?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Anyone else watch 'The Year the town hall shrank' on BBC4? (now on iplayer)

It shows the grim (Stoke really needs get more focus in urban decay documentaries it's a wonderfully grim place) reality of NOBODY WINS in government cuts when there's nothing easy to cut.

David Cameron was going to make Stoke one of his fancy ENTERPRISE ZONES then he saw the current bus station and changed his mind.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Oh man, I need to take a look at this. As if I'm not depressed enough about living in Stoke on Trent.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

justcola posted:

I think he goes into this in his book, which I recommend to anyone a fan of Stewart Lee or interested in stand-up comedy/performing.

I'd like to catch up on Fresh Meat but I wasn't massively into the first few episodes I watched. I'm guessing it gets better?

It does. They start to come together as a group, which is nice, and they each come into their own in terms of comedic potential. There're a couple of fun 'theme' episodes, notably the student riots one and the 'revision' retreat one. I watched the first four with a friend, and wasn't sold, but then watched the last four a couple of months later back to back with same friend, and got much more into it. Watching it weekly now in season two is a lot of fun, and I look forward to it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Bloooooooooody hell that HIGNFY was abysmal, literally the least amusing episode ever, I think. That Canadian guy was particularly wank - I think he got one genuine laugh in the whole episode, the most he managed prior to that was polite acknowledgement that he'd made a joke.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Yeah, he was poor. Shame, because I saw him do stand up a while ago and it was great. Don't think his act would transfer well to a panel show, though.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Tony Law is my favourite standup right now but I have no idea what he is doing on a panel show. Haven't seen the episode yet but I'm not surprised to hear his style of humour falls flat.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

The most recent QI is amazing.

It was hilarious when Stephen Fry won with 8.06581752 × 10^(67) points.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Just watched the second part of Derren Brown, finally realised why he looks so familiar...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Xachariah posted:

The most recent QI is amazing.

It was hilarious when Stephen Fry won with 8.06581752 × 10^(67) points.

Not seen that yet, I just watched last weeks off the Sky+ with my family. As we had just cleared out space on the box, Mum pointed out there probably wasn't much point in recording QI in HD. Then we got everyone messing around with smoke and vortex cannons which was beautiful.

Really strong show as well, probably to be expected when you have Johnny Vegas and Ross Noble on, as they can make just about anything funny. Like a story about cremating your Dad.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
"Horsing your speed up" is a brilliant phrase,

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Having neat little demonstrations by Stephen at the end is a new thing this season, isn't it? The strandbeest and vortex cannon were especially cool.

exmarx fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 4, 2012

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Just watched the second part of Derren Brown, finally realised why he looks so familiar...

That hat kind of evoked Ed Harris in The Truman Show for me. Perhaps mostly because of the context.

Metrication posted:

It's too funny to not watch, but their overriding want for personal accumulation makes me feel a bit ill. And this is celebrated :smith:

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Young Apprentice kids are grown in a lab from the DNA of past contestants. It's the only way to explain how there's always one of each category and they always act the same... well besides lazy casting.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Car Stranger posted:

It's too funny to not watch, but their overriding want for personal accumulation makes me feel a bit ill. And this is celebrated :smith:
Was fairly amazed that Young Tory got booted out. Still, he'll have his revenge when he's the mayor or London and continually shuts down Fashion Kid's boutiques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

Bloooooooooody hell that HIGNFY was abysmal, literally the least amusing episode ever, I think. That Canadian guy was particularly wank - I think he got one genuine laugh in the whole episode, the most he managed prior to that was polite acknowledgement that he'd made a joke.

Yeah, it was spectacularly awful.

I'm torn about the Young Apprentice so far; even though the candidates act like utter twats at times, I find it hard to be as annoyed as the "proper" apprentice, simply because they're young. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age...