Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

fuf posted:

Poor Robert Webb. It must suck being the less successful (less funny?) half of a double act.

Please let him be on the telly

He just wants to be on the telly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Ddraig posted:

I don't know about that. David Mitchell seems to like doing panel shows, and Robert Webb likes getting money for old rope.

Both are pretty good at what they do, and both are pretty successful. Besides, we never got to see David Mitchell do this

One nil to the Webbster I believe.

Webb is probably the funnier in all honestly i loathe David mitchell's routine that he does on every single loving panel show which is say nothing for 25 minutes of the 30 then make some rant about, footballers or musicians that he doesnt "get" and then cheekily looks to the camera and calls them "...fuckers" or something like that.

Tee hee he is old fashioned and likes to get on his soapbox, its ok i guess but the 5 minutes of forced audience applause he gets makes me want to turn the channel right away that sit through it.

he should stick to peep show.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
Coppers is surprisingly good for a documentary about rozzers. The cops themselves seem pretty decent, and it's fun watching drunken arseholes getting lairy in Leeds.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

LE0N posted:

Webb is probably the funnier in all honestly i loathe David mitchell's routine that he does on every single loving panel show which is say nothing for 25 minutes of the 30 then make some rant about, footballers or musicians that he doesnt "get" and then cheekily looks to the camera and calls them "...fuckers" or something like that.

Tee hee he is old fashioned and likes to get on his soapbox, its ok i guess but the 5 minutes of forced audience applause he gets makes me want to turn the channel right away that sit through it.

He's usually pretty drat good on QI. Contributes a LOT of obscure knowledge, points out amusing logical flaws in things and, while definitely still a "ranty" persona, doesn't come across badly at all.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

He's usually pretty drat good on QI. Contributes a LOT of obscure knowledge, points out amusing logical flaws in things and, while definitely still a "ranty" persona, doesn't come across badly at all.

When he is doing that its fine, its just when he gets into soapbox mode. Its usually on stuff like 8 out of ten cats or never mind the buzzcocks where he looks woefully out of place.

I swear he was once, still doesn't change what im saying, you know what i mean.
\/\/\/

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 26, 2010

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
David Mitchell has never been on Never mind the buzzcocks. Paul Foot probably came closest.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I've just seen Robert's Web and Graham Norton make fun of the same Yahoo Answers 'Is there such a thing as gay hips' question.

I'm so loving sick and tired of comedy shows plundering the internet for cheap laughs. The internet is no doubt chock full of hilarity as most of us are aware, however it seems that every comedy show now uses youtube clips and website comments to replace actual content. I'm looking at you Russell Howard's Good News and Have I Got News for You.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

reality_groove posted:

I'm looking at you Russell Howard's Good News
Good News gets a very, very tiny excuse because a lot of its stuff is user-submitted so of course it's gonna be from poo poo like failblog.

Of course, this still leaves the huge problem of a stand-up comedian getting the general public to tell him about funny things instead of, you know, the exact reverse of that.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Russell Howard is poo poo and I hate him.

No one seems to agree with me :(

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
I don't like all the negativity in this thread :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

lionlegs posted:

I don't like all the negativity in this thread :(

Seriously, we're all being arsey now :(.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You know what is and was great? Attention scum. That's what.

Wonder if it'll ever make it to DVD.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Beeswax posted:

I loved that but my friends found it bewildering.

Easier to follow was an original show he did on (I think) the Paramount Channel - Either/Or

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously, we're all being arsey now :(.

There's a lot of us English types in this thread, it's to be expected.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Beeswax posted:

this. track it down if you can.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

DaWolfey posted:

I loved that but my friends found it bewildering.

Easier to follow was an original show he did on (I think) the Paramount Channel - Either/Or

It was on UKPlay. The best gameshow where the winner lost...

If you're ever in Edinburgh for the fringe try and catch his AGM. About an hour of FutrTV/Attention Scum stand up and poetry, then off to an art gallery (which seemed a lot more like just one of his mates houses), for wine and a nice game of Chess-Pool.

reality_groove posted:

The internet is no doubt chock full of hilarity as most of us are aware, however it seems that every comedy show now uses youtube clips and website comments to replace actual content. I'm looking at you Russell Howard's Good News and [b]Have I Got News for You.[b]

The worst part is it used to be quite good rather than just 'Oh look at this funny youtube clip'. Good news is a format built on lazy, HIGNFY is one that slowly descended.

reflir posted:

David Mitchell has never been on Never mind the buzzcocks. Paul Foot probably came closest.

Stephen Fry was a guest team captain once... He looked rather out of place, but it was a very good show, though if he was on all the time it may have started to grate (or just become increasingly fantastic).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Roidweiser posted:

Stephen Fry was a guest team captain once... He looked rather out of place, but it was a very good show, though if he was on all the time it may have started to grate (or just become increasingly fantastic).

I think he's quite into his music though. I remember him tweeting about Explosions in the sky once.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Twitter tells me David Mitchell and Ross Noble are panelists on QI tonight, so high expectations since they have been good contributors I think. That's Ross's third appearance this series, surprising since they are also his first appearances.
All QI seems to do now is rotate panellists. I can't wait for another episode with Sean Lock where he makes some up some amusing fact and then loudly wonders why someone actually knew the answer to the question he was asked.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

eating only apples posted:

Russell Howard is poo poo and I hate him.

No one seems to agree with me :(

I agree with you.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Really enjoyed that Buzzcocks. It's been quite a good series.

Phill Jupitus was working behind the counter at a record shop in Cardiff this week for some reason.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Russell Howard is like that friend you had in college who was mildly amusing but not hilarious and if anyone was ever asked their opinion of him, would think for a minute before always replying 'Yeah he's a nice guy'.

I don't think hes particularly funny but I don't hate him, and if it was a choice between Russell Howards Good News, or another re-run of Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, then let poor well meaning Russell have the timeslot.

chazzared
Dec 4, 2006
Have I missed everyone talking about The Trip?

It's got the three things I love the most in telly: Great food, great impressions, and two talented comic actors just having fun.

Thank god for series catch-up.

Got The Hunger Ted
Feb 22, 2007
I really like Tony!
I really like The Trip, but the general consensus here I think is that it's not as good as it "should" be. I think it comes down to "do you like impressions?" or not.

Also:

Meltdown321 posted:

Did anyone watch an odd little show on CITV called Roger and the Rottentrolls? It was a bit past my time on children`s TV but a friend had it on once and it`s a work of genius.

Nobody else said anything but yes, I loved that show, it's brilliant. Glad someone else out there likes it!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Roger and the Rottentrolls was brilliant. One of the only things I remember enjoying on CITV.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Got The Hunger Ted posted:

I think it comes down to "do you like impressions?" or not.

Definitely. But they're not impressions in the terrible Alistair Mcgowan sense, and I actually find it really interesting when they talk about the logic behind the voices.

I thought the "Gentlemen to bed" scene from the latest episode was absolutely hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxx2-lw4VY

I mean it's not an actual impression of anyone in particular, but I love how they just perfectly capture the essence of all those historical dramas.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
After The Trip watching films like Night At The Museum and whatever films Coogan has appeared in, it's kinda depressing. Probably just me though.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

reality_groove posted:

Apparently a maternity nurse from the One Born Every Minute Xmas special is giving the alternative christmas message on Channel 4. Dappy's either doing one on T4 or E4 or something like that.

Still, either is better than Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Oi.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

chazzared posted:

Have I missed everyone talking about The Trip?
No you haven't. Everyone was too busy mass debating the merits of certain US sitcoms.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
gently caress ITV. Now if I want to watch the FA Cup I have to endure their lovely coverage and lovely signal that cuts out all the time.

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008
Watched the Trigger Happy TV christmas special after a few drinks the other day after not seeing it for many years, I haven't laughed so hard in ages (although some sketches are just too repetitive).

Also wish Gervais would just shut up for two seconds, caught a glimpse of him and Karl on the one show and he kelt talking over Karl and grabbing every bit of airtime from the poor Manc.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All he does if he's on his own is talk about Karl.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

reposting from PWM but

Oh my god barry from eastenders as boy george, dreams really can come true.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Rock night on X-factor. Wonder how the distinctly non-rocky acts will manage?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
By assuming the audience don't actually like rock music and being as close to pop as they can get away with, probably.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

I think that was the least terrible performance by Wagner so far. He's still bad, but he's been much worse.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
It was just so...bad. Bad arrangement, bad staging, bad vocals.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Boy band time. What's the name of the one with short black hair who always looks nervous and uncomfortable?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Guys, there's a thread for this.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

LE0N posted:

reposting from PWM but

Oh my god barry from eastenders as boy george, dreams really can come true.

I never knew he could sing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
So does anyone else think the new Scary Asian Guy on Eastenders looks a bit like a brown Peter Serafinowicz?