Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
That goofy lad has just read through the whole thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Does the Daily Star quote itself in the little graphic insert every time? That's rather endearing in a "Pat me on the head, I dun good see," way.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Richard Hammond is looking more and more like Richard Madeley every day.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.
Just watched the US Shameless pilot... it's actually very good. Despite being pretty much a carbon copy of the UK pilot. This shouldn't work.

Megaterium
May 5, 2009

Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!

Irisi posted:

I love One Born Every Minute. The fixed camera & lack of narrator mean that everything feels incredibly natural, the women aren't too selfconscious, the midwives are wonderful and the little stories that unfold are incredibly moving.
I enjoy it too, it's kinda bizarre seeing the hospital I was born in as well. I think the whole series of small stories that are wrapped up by the end of the episode format lends itself well to reality TV, lack of work the last few weeks has had me watching a lot of repeats of Airport on Dave.

Did anyone else check out Episodes? I quite enjoyed it but not as a comedy, I'm more intrigued as to how the show just gets progressively worse.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Irisi posted:

I love One Born Every Minute. The fixed camera & lack of narrator mean that everything feels incredibly natural, the women aren't too selfconscious, the midwives are wonderful and the little stories that unfold are incredibly moving.

Just watched it for the first time and as I'm going for an induction on Thursday it was pretty interesting. I felt really sorry for the young girls boyfriend though, he was obviously trying to be there but she just seemed to hate him. Not that he wouldn't annoy me but still.

And those two midwives....how patronising were they?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
My Mother has been studying Nursing in Uni for the last few months and I swear that program has finally convinced her to go into Midwifery which she has been kicking around in her head all these years.

Good TV changes lives.

Bishy
May 2, 2003

Come on now Master Eugene
I'm loving the poo poo out of Tool Academy. All of them, the blokes and their girlfriends, are utter bellends. Great car-crash tv.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Bishy posted:

I'm loving the poo poo out of Tool Academy. All of them, the blokes and their girlfriends, are utter bellends. Great car-crash tv.

I'm watching it too, because I can't be bothered to change the channel. I'm not watching too closely, but the girlfriends seem way worse than the lads- massively jealous, insulting and unreasonable (one of them was complaining their boyfriend was angry, after she put him on this show? Serious?)
I hope the one whose girlfriend keeps calling him gay makes out with one of the other lads, it'd serve her right.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

My Mother has been studying Nursing in Uni for the last few months and I swear that program has finally convinced her to go into Midwifery which she has been kicking around in her head all these years.

Good TV changes lives.

Best of luck to your mum. I went into midwifery (though I left the profession years ago), which is why the programme interests me so much.

Have to say though, the lovely, smiley midwives on this programme weren't much like the ones I knew in real life. There's a hell of a lot more bitching and backstabbing on a high-pressure inner-city birthing unit than is shown on One Born Every Minute. A lot of my old supervisors didn't think they'd done a proper days work until they'd made an junior member of staff cry. :( Probably it's better these days though.

Bishy
May 2, 2003

Come on now Master Eugene
Liam, the guy shown at the start fingering another girl in the toilets, passed the 'commitment' course. Tool Academy is utterly batshit.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bishy posted:

Liam, the guy shown at the start fingering another girl in the toilets, passed the 'commitment' course. Tool Academy is utterly batshit.

Yeah it's loving offit. Everyone involved is a massive attention whore though. I feel sorry for the 'gay' lad. I don't know why he doesn't just tell his mrs to get hosed.

Also did anyone else notice that the fella on take me out this week having his date reviewed, Fabian (Long hair bit tanned, teacher), was the same guy that was on Derren Browns show some years back killing zombies? I didn't notice but my girlfriend did and I'd like to know if it's true.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Did anyone else catch Episodes? I thought it was a fairly promising start. The first episode didn't do anything incredible but it seemed to set itself up well enough that I look forward to watching where it goes.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
The lad on the bike who knocks Frank over at the start of shameless is my Cousin!

Other than that, enjoyed shameless a lot tonight, better than the last few season's has been.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So things look like they're calming down at Eastenders after all the scanda....

Oh wait. Whitney is getting sex exploited for Comic Relief. Wearing a Red Nose was apparently not going far enough.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a296873/eastenders-confirms-sex-exploitation-plot.html

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

J33uk posted:

So things look like they're calming down at Eastenders after all the scanda....

Oh wait. Whitney is getting sex exploited for Comic Relief. Wearing a Red Nose was apparently not going far enough.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a296873/eastenders-confirms-sex-exploitation-plot.html

Imagine. You're casually watching Comic Relief, giggling at the sketches, sipping your wine, singing along to Take That. "Ah! Eastenders! Haven't seen that in a while, must be a fun little sketch they've got set up! Maybe Bianca will do a cartwheel or... Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no." Boom. Child sex exploitation. Womp womp womp.

Jesus, Eastenders, you are testing my patience.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
But she isn't a child so I'm not quite sure how its sexual exploitation?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Zorba the Greek posted:

But she isn't a child so I'm not quite sure how its sexual exploitation?
Are you saying only children can be exploited sexually?

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Akuma posted:

Are you saying only children can be exploited sexually?

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I was trying to say she isn't involved in a child sex exploitation story.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Going by the current standards of Eastenders' she's going to pimp Tiffany.

Did anyone make the same mistake as me and watched Biggest Loser, ignorantly assuming it would have at least a tiny amount of useful diet or exercise advice, rather than being a freak, where fatties are forced to humiliate themselves, and ITV use it to promote their Biggest Loser diet website and weight loss programme? I must have spent too much time on Watch and Woot, watching it really pissed me off.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Brown Moses posted:

Going by the current standards of Eastenders' she's going to pimp Tiffany.

Did anyone make the same mistake as me and watched Biggest Loser, ignorantly assuming it would have at least a tiny amount of useful diet or exercise advice, rather than being a freak, where fatties are forced to humiliate themselves, and ITV use it to promote their Biggest Loser diet website and weight loss programme? I must have spent too much time on Watch and Woot, watching it really pissed me off.

The creepiest bit is the way that their ultimate target is to achieve Botox-infused, utterly generic, all-American 'beauty'. In the very last episode, they're all sobbing with joy because they finally look a little more like the presenter, who herself just looks like she's been cobbled together on photoshop. It's really off-putting.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The worst part is how the trainers are complicite in the bullshit. They must know the rapid weight loss in the first week is going to be mostly water weight, and they still act totally amazed that the contestants have lost a stone in weight. It's like the Pope being shocked and suprised about priests mouth raping 9 year olds.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I would love to see some kind of daily long running fattie show, where there are 2 adult fatties and 2 child fatties, one of each sex.

Basically, the show would have two slots. One in the morning and one at night. The morning one would have a trainer listing exactly what these 4 people (and in turn, you Mr. Fattie) should eat that day and when. In addition to this, the trainer lists the exercises that you are to do that day.

An evening show on the same day would consist of a follow along exercise routine thing that covers most of what was the instructed daily exercise was.

Consider it some kind of social experiment, run it for 1 year and see if there is any kind of positive outcome.

Finally, get the government involved in this endeavor by providing an incentive to be healthy people by providing some kind of tax relief or some poo poo to any household that has a bmi within healthy values.

None of that would probably work, but gently caress it, i'd like to see something that crazy be attempted just to shake things up a little.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Sigh, for some crazy reason I thought goons wouldn't watch soaps, wishful thinking I suppose.

Anyone catch Dispatches the other day? It was pretty shocking to find out that 4500 inmates of Port au Prince prison escaped when the earthquake hit. I just can't understand how these people assimilate themselves into the tent camps that were set up, and take advantage of the survivors. It did a good job of showing the other side as well, it explained how the law states that people can be sent to prison without seeing a court or actually getting convicted of anything for years at a time.

Poor Haiti.

Edit: The voiceover was done by Dominic West :3:

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 11, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Thats only the tip of the iceberg for poor Haiti, there is another quake on the way for them too.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Speaking of depressing documentaries, did anyone else catch the Storyville on BBC4 last night about the various anthropologists visiting a particular tribe in the Amazon? It was more about the disputes between the anthros than the tribe, and moments of it were utterly sickening - the sex abuse and medical experiments, in particular.

Really fascinating, though.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Megaterium posted:

Did anyone else check out Episodes? I quite enjoyed it but not as a comedy, I'm more intrigued as to how the show just gets progressively worse.

I felt this way as well. Struck me as being more of a lighthearted drama than anything else but it was still entertaining .

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
i loving love outnumbered. It's just lovely and funny.

thought it was just some poo poo daytime "comedy" first time I saw it, but it's really grown on me.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Metrication posted:

I felt this way as well. Struck me as being more of a lighthearted drama than anything else but it was still entertaining .

Alison Graham really hates it. Who's Alison Graham? She's the Radio Times' resident TV critic.

I thought it was pretty good though, but what do I know?

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

NaDy posted:

Sigh, for some crazy reason I thought goons wouldn't watch soaps, wishful thinking I suppose.
If you don't appreciate Shane Ritchie crying over cot death as he hugs an orange scarecrow then you're dead inside.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you don't say "oval office" and then vomit every time you see Shane Richie then you're scum.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Eastenders cliffhanger today was so annoying because you know this bullshit is going on for months, and the start of Thursday episode very obvious.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Just watched the first episode of Zen on iPlayer, pretty good. Spent most of the time thinking "gently caress, Patrick from Coupling's got old fast" and laughing at the bizarre mixture of accents, though. Cracking music, though.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Brown Moses posted:

Eastenders cliffhanger today was so annoying because you know this bullshit is going on for months, and the start of Thursday episode very obvious.
Like this?

"why are you giving me the baby?"

"uhm...it's...it's...it's..."

"i can't take this"

*hands baby back*

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I love how they've done that and having Kat turning up going "Give him back!" and Ronnie actually blurting out "IT'S TOMMY" when Roxy is looking at her baby, apropos of nothing at all.

I like seeing EastEnders' core audience having their intelligence insulted.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

The Perfect Element posted:

Speaking of depressing documentaries, did anyone else catch the Storyville on BBC4 last night about the various anthropologists visiting a particular tribe in the Amazon? It was more about the disputes between the anthros than the tribe, and moments of it were utterly sickening - the sex abuse and medical experiments, in particular.

Yeah, really good program.

One thing that seemed strange to me though, the entire program was about how this tribe had been massively altered by playing up to anthropologists in exchange for machetes and other western tools. But there was no acknowledgement that they might be playing up to this western film crew, its what they've learnt. Theres every chance a rumour spread that if you claim to have had anus sex with an anthropologist you'll get a free t shirt.

Shame in a program that seemed to present every side absolutely equally, but I guess its given its weight by the fact Lizot refused to give an interview.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

The Perfect Element posted:

It was, in a very irkso,e were-killing-the-world type way. Also really enjoyed that Rich hall Dirty South. Its not often a night of telly leaves you feelinging like you have learnt stuff.

On the other hand, I watched that BBC3 Oral Sex thing. My dad had a hpv licence :ohdear:

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Fatty posted:

Yeah, really good program.

One thing that seemed strange to me though, the entire program was about how this tribe had been massively altered by playing up to anthropologists in exchange for machetes and other western tools. But there was no acknowledgement that they might be playing up to this western film crew, its what they've learnt. Theres every chance a rumour spread that if you claim to have had anus sex with an anthropologist you'll get a free t shirt.

Shame in a program that seemed to present every side absolutely equally, but I guess its given its weight by the fact Lizot refused to give an interview.

Adam Curtis interviewed him for The Trap and he walked out of the interview after Curtis questioned the influence a camera crew had on the tribe.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.

Psybro posted:

I love how they've done that and having Kat turning up going "Give him back!" and Ronnie actually blurting out "IT'S TOMMY" when Roxy is looking at her baby, apropos of nothing at all.

I like seeing EastEnders' core audience having their intelligence insulted.

Now you know what it feels like the live in the land that produced Home and Away and where it is a 7pm shared television viewing experiences in most families.

I'd like to apologise on inflicting that dross on other countries that have that show in their schedules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I've only just gotten round to watching Misfits on 4oD.

Holy poo poo, is all I can say. One of the best programmes i've seen in YEARS.