Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SEX BURRITO posted:

I thought he had died years ago, on stage, but apparently I'm thinking of someone else.
Tommy Cooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

SEX BURRITO posted:

I thought he had died years ago, on stage, but apparently I'm thinking of someone else.

Tommy Cooper?

SEX BURRITO posted:

I actually saw some of Ant and Dec this weekend as my parents love their Saturday night show. I was amazed at how retro it was. They even did that hidden camera thing where they surprise people at home, Noel Edmonds style. Then there were big musical numbers which reminded me of something from the 80s.

They also said that Northern Ireland isn't part of Britain, which caused a lot of knuckle draggers on Twitter to poo poo themselves, even though it isn't.

(It's part of the UK, though I'm not sure if Ant & Dec were going for this level of political pedantry)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

SEX BURRITO posted:

You're thinking of Tommy Cooper there, squire

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Who was also a bipolar as hell Welshman.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One of the streets near the one I lived in a few years ago was celebrating a bicentennial or similar, and one of the stalls was the Tommy Cooper Appreciation Society, selling fez hats. After a few minutes passing I decided to go look at it properly, but it had disappeared. Just like that. I like to think they did it on purpose.

Watched the first 3 episodes of 'The State' about British people joining ISIS from last year yesterday after seeing a tweet about someone on Amazon getting it confused with the MTV sketch show from the 90s of the same name. Good stuff, right up my alley and a shame there's only one more to go.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Total Meatlove posted:

Ant and Dec are the tent poles for ITV throughout the entire year. Bradley Walsh has a primetime game show, acts, and had the best selling debut album for 2017 or some other nuts statistic.

I meant all those guys from that generation of entertainers, not guys who do the same thing today. Should have been clearer, sorry.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Does Go 8 Bit get better after the first series?

The cycle of non gaming celebrities is quite horrible to watch. I don't really give a gently caress about people playing temple run :rolleyes:

On top of that, while i appreciate it might be due to licencing, the constant stream of old games like asteroids just isn't entertaining to watch.

Edit: the Not-Violet-Berlin woman is kinda annoying too :/

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 12, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I couldn't even finish the first episode of Go 8 Bit personally, just seemed awful.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So not worth going back after the first series then?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Another great appearance from Mandy in This Country

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

horn rage

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Rondette posted:

Another great appearance from Mandy in This Country

Nosy.old.cockwomble.

It makes so much sense that Kurtan gets all his clothes from TK Maxx. He’s so early 00s.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I didn't hate This Country but it was by far the weakest of the season, if not the whole series.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I only really watch Go 8 Bit out of habit now. Really the games thing seems to be just an excuse to have people getting competitive over silly things. Now and then there's a good one like Arkham Asylum. Dara's usually funny at least. There's a sense of just making things up as they go along every so often and those are usually the best bits. Probably a case of just watch the ones with people you like.

I wouldn't exactly recommend it but its good trashy telly to have on in the background sometimes.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

After a few minutes passing I decided to go look at it properly, but it had disappeared. Just like that. I like to think they did it on purpose.

Like you did that on purpose, you mean? :golfclap:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Couldn't resist it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SalTheBard posted:

I didn't hate This Country but it was by far the weakest of the season, if not the whole series.

I just watched them all from episode 1 to this one and it didn't feel weak. Are you sure it's not just because you've built it up in your head now?

I enjoyed it a lot but I'd really like to know how old they are. Their references make them seem like they're my age (32).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

New episode of This Country was great, don't see it being weaker than usual at all.

"The vicar's lost his head! It was a matter of time!"

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Taear posted:

I enjoyed it a lot but I'd really like to know how old they are. Their references make them seem like they're my age (32).

Daisy Cooper is 31. Not sure about her brother, he looks young, but it might just be the awful haircut.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

New episode of This Country was great, don't see it being weaker than usual at all.

"The vicar's lost his head! It was a matter of time!"

I laughed out loud at "getting rid of his dirty water".

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm a bit confused about how old they're meant to be in the series, I think they're meant to be early 20s but they do look too old for that. Kerry mentioned Kurtan's first girlfriend doing SATs and cycling proficiency ten years ago, which puts her (and presumably him) at about 21

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

I'm a bit confused about how old they're meant to be in the series, I think they're meant to be early 20s but they do look too old for that. Kerry mentioned Kurtan's first girlfriend doing SATs and cycling proficiency ten years ago, which puts her (and presumably him) at about 21

Why are they making references to Noel's House Party though? It feels like the idea is arrested development - they're 30 but stuck at 18.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always presumed a few years out of school, so 21 sits well with me. References are probably older as the show is aimed at people a bit older than them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm going with early/mid twenties too. Just pretend they throw out the older references because they raided the poo poo out of charity shops.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And with the rural areas being behind, Noels House Party only ended in 2014 there.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

And with the rural areas being behind, Noels House Party only ended in 2014 there.

I feel like the statistics that come up on the screen would suggest they're meant to be early 20s, "Young People" who haven't got any hope.

But the way the show works makes it feel more like they're in their 30s and their life has stopped because rural areas (especially in the south west) are hosed.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm going with early/mid twenties too. Just pretend they throw out the older references because they raided the poo poo out of charity shops.

I guessed late 20s, and the dated references were down to them living in such an isolated community. In the last episode we saw how hard it was to even leave the village, and other than Facebook they don't use much in the way of modern technology, so it's easy to see how they'd get left behind.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Plus, yeah, there's definitely supposed to be a degree of arrested development where they still behave like teenagers even though they're not.

Also, an amazing article about Daisy and Charlie Cooper, the creators of the show, who also play Kurtan and Kerry. It's amazing how little they had to change when they actually wrote it.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 13, 2018

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Plus, yeah, there's definitely supposed to be a degree of arrested development where they still behave like teenagers even though they're not.

Also, an amazing article about Daisy and Charlie Cooper, the creators of the show, who also play Kurtan and Kerry. It's amazing how little they had to change when they actually wrote it.

Thanks for sharing that, it was a good read. They wrote this second series in 5 months. That's some turnaround.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Aww that’s a nice story and makes me like them even more. It’s great to see actors who were successful without going to Oxbridge or having a dad at the BBC.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SEX BURRITO posted:

Ken Dodd is alive? Always mix him up with the guy who died on stage.

SEX BURRITO posted:

I went back to August to see if anyone mentioned The State at all (nope, boo) and I had to laugh as I noticed a post from sex burrito mistaking Tommy Cooper and Ken Dodd back then as well.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

EL BROMANCE posted:

I went back to August to see if anyone mentioned The State at all (nope, boo) and I had to laugh as I noticed a post from sex burrito mistaking Tommy Cooper and Ken Dodd back then as well.

That’s hilarious. I’m really bad at mixing people up and always having frustrating conversations where I insist Kate Winslet was totally the woman in the English Patient.

Big RIP to Hawking. Too sad.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah that sucked and hearing that effected me more. Then my dad followed it up with a Bullseye joke.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
they fuckin cancelled robot wars again

what the gently caress

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

what the gently caress

Just came here to say it. I thought it was doing really well, I just don't get it :(

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean it was pretty clear they wanted it gone when they scheduled it against Blue Planet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean it was pretty clear they wanted it gone when they scheduled it against Blue Planet.

Surely when it's broadcast doesn't make that much of a difference now? Even olds record stuff and don't watch it live.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
RIP robots :negative:

On the other hand Mastermind had rounds on Peep Show and the X-Men movies and I did significantly better on one than the other

e: I loving said Windsor for the place Jeremy bought special bread for Elena when obviously it's loving Hastings, Windsor is where Superhans runs to when he gets really into running, I wish I was dead

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 16, 2018

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

what the gently caress

Good.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I will not miss the robots, but I respect your right to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Does it feel bad to be wrong about literally everything?