Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgjRdSm_qmI

It's funny how Karl Pilkington has a sitcom coming out that looks a billion times more appealing and interesting than Ricky Gervais' upcoming "suicidal guy decides to be a dickhead to people" trash fire. Even if that's just damning with faint praise.

edit: Also I'm glad that Gervais' name doesn't seem to be attached to this at all.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Anything by Gervais that doesn't have Merchant attached to it is worthless.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

LesterGroans posted:

Pretty much.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

LesterGroans posted:

However much Merchant is earning as residuals off The Office and Extras isn't enough. Gervais wouldn't have a career without him.

Derek was the final nail to drive home "Gervais genuinely cannot produce anything of worth by himself"

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Matinee posted:

Also his episode of The Thick Of It is one of the funniest eps of British comedy ever made

If you were a robot you would not put bits of meat on your face

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

However much Merchant is earning as residuals off The Office and Extras isn't enough. Gervais wouldn't have a career without him.

Derek was the final nail to drive home "Gervais genuinely cannot produce anything of worth by himself"

They're as bad as each other, Merchant's HBO sitcom was abominably bad. They wrote one amazing sitcom together, learned all the wrong lessons from it and have never hit those heights again.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Gorn Myson posted:

They're as bad as each other, Merchant's HBO sitcom was abominably bad. They wrote one amazing sitcom together, learned all the wrong lessons from it and have never hit those heights again.

I thought his sitcom was fine. I liked EXTRAS for a while as well, but Gervais seemed intent on hitting the same beats since then which makes me wonder how much he was asserting himself over their previous efforts (I quite like CEMETARY JUNCTION). At least Merchant was in LOGAN, Gervais just seems intent on doing his 'Ooo I'm offensive aint I yeah?' schtick.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

There was a line in a recent Stewart Lee column about how his generation of comedians had all basically assumed that political correctness was a done deal and we were all on, if not the same page, then at least the same chapter when it came to what is acceptable/offensive and what isn't, and there was comedic mileage in poking at the boundaries of that, but that poo poo doesn't fly any more and comedians have had to regroup and rethink their approach.

Ricky Gervais either didn't get the memo or lacks the talent/inclination to rebuild his act, place your bets now.

edit: it was this column about Morrissey: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/08/how-to-treat-morrissey-stop-listening-to-him-stewart-lee

Also, Richard Bacon has been brought out of his coma after successful treatment, which is very good news but I was going to make a Girlfriend In A Coma joke to really tie this post together.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 13, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always liked that Frankie Boyle always had a big fan base that were right of centre because they thought his act was sincere. Same with Al Murray. I’m sure both comedians are grateful for the financial contributions that group made over the years.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I am glad Richard Bacon isn't dead meat.

I'll get my redcoat.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I always liked that Frankie Boyle always had a big fan base that were right of centre because they thought his act was sincere. Same with Al Murray. I’m sure both comedians are grateful for the financial contributions that group made over the years.

Every single satire of something has people (sometimes a majority!) following it because they believe it's legitimate. Because people are stupid and take things at face value a lot.
Just look at Alf Garnett, Ali G. Loads of others.

Unsurprisingly the Alt-Right loves Gervais and he seems to be right up with them too from Twitter.

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 13, 2018

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I thought his sitcom was fine. I liked EXTRAS for a while as well, but Gervais seemed intent on hitting the same beats since then which makes me wonder how much he was asserting himself over their previous efforts (I quite like CEMETARY JUNCTION). At least Merchant was in LOGAN, Gervais just seems intent on doing his 'Ooo I'm offensive aint I yeah?' schtick.

Logan was a surprise bit of good casting and Merchant showed his acting chops, but individually neither one of them has gone on to create greater things after The Office (podcast excepted maybe)

I just find this "Merchant = Good, Gervais = Bad " thing to be bollocks. Its okay to be a have a good partnership but struggle to maintain that standard after, and they're a good example of that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Taear posted:

Unsurprisingly the Alt-Right loves Gervais and he seems to be right up with them too from Twitter.

Yeah, it’s that unfortunate overlap between rationalism, libertarianism, and the alt-right. We should be able to say what we want. And that thing we want to say is loving disgusting and you can’t stop us.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hope Sacha Baron Cohen's new thing is a laugh. Sounds like he suckered a good selection of reprehensible shitbags at least.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

thehustler posted:

Yeah, it’s that unfortunate overlap between rationalism, libertarianism, and the alt-right. We should be able to say what we want. And that thing we want to say is loving disgusting and you can’t stop us.

I guess it feels like people who are super privileged that don't care what people call them assuming that applies to everyone.
Yea you might not care if people call you gay (or whatever) because you're a white male with shitloads of money who can do whatever they want but if it's been a weapon that people beat you with your entire life it's going to be a little different.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Flowers is loving powerful. I need more poo poo like this.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hopefully we'll get a special episode epilogue because that ending man was rough.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

EL BROMANCE posted:

Murray seems frustrated/resigned about it, and I think it's why we don't see the Pub Landlord much now. He definitely wishes he gave the character a different name.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

thehustler posted:

Cor. Richard Bacon isn’t too well.

https://t.co/KUq7fTTTIJ

As soon as I read the phrases "medically induced coma" & "pneumonia" my first thought was "I've seen this story before, and it didn't have a happy ending." Hopefully this'll be different, as I've enjoyed his occasional cover shifts on Radio 2

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I’ve seen that story before with a family member and it ended well so I think Bacon will be fine.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Gorn Myson posted:

Logan was a surprise bit of good casting and Merchant showed his acting chops, but individually neither one of them has gone on to create greater things after The Office (podcast excepted maybe)

I just find this "Merchant = Good, Gervais = Bad " thing to be bollocks. Its okay to be a have a good partnership but struggle to maintain that standard after, and they're a good example of that.

No that's fair, but at least Merchant is kind of doing more interesting work, even if he's not creating it himself, Gervais appears to be getting unending chances to fail.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

“Hello Ladies” was really good.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Murray seems frustrated/resigned about it, and I think it's why we don't see the Pub Landlord much now. He definitely wishes he gave the character a different name.

He’ll always be Harry Hill’s sidekick Alan to me.

“Badger parade’s off”.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sacha Baron Cohen seemingly picking up the Brass Eye reins.

https://twitter.com/mindpivot/status/1018370260846694400

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I'm surprised they are even doing conventional advertising at this point, these people seem to be generating all the buzz the show needs.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The_Doctor posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo "the pheromone Blink 182" :vince:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

It's amazing how little of SBC we've seen in these, and when we do he seems to be approaching Bo Selecta levels of prosthetics.

Got to rewatch Brass Eye now.

"Cake is a made-up drug. It's made up in labs."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's amazing how little of SBC we've seen in these, and when we do he seems to be approaching Bo Selecta levels of prosthetics.

Got to rewatch Brass Eye now.

"Cake is a made-up drug. It's made up in labs."

"It's a fookin disgrace"

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
"first grader into a first grenader" does feel like a very Brass Eye line - perhaps Peter Baynham is the missing link here? He's written for Chris Morris often and was a cowriter on Borat...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love the new Proms animation idents on the BBC. There’s something very 90s about them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Heavy_D posted:

"first grader into a first grenader" does feel like a very Brass Eye line - perhaps Peter Baynham is the missing link here? He's written for Chris Morris often and was a cowriter on Borat...

Someone in couch chat put up a screen grab with some of the crew on Who Is America, and Peter Baynham is listed.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
He’s based over there now

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Heavy_D posted:

Oh my god that last line in the first episode is both hilarious and awful.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ugh I wanna watch Who is America already hurry up monday

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Proms recording of Five Telegrams is up on iPlayer and its absolutely astounding. Full projection onto the RAH.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

McDragon posted:

Ugh I wanna watch Who is America already hurry up monday

It's on Channel 4 at 10

e: nvm you know that

I will say the first episode was kinda poo poo. His new characters are boring and poorly-defined, and the prosthetics are obviously necessary now but they're extremely Bo Selecta. The main section , Kinderguardians, is good for exposing the amorality of the gunfuckers though

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, the characters were a bit rubbish but man that gun bit found some amazing weirdos. Some good Brass Eye style get people to say stupid things stuff. And horrific things

All those Science Facts with the music references made me laugh more than I have in a while

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Really he's the straight man with a crazy character now. The crazy assholes make the comedy pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SeanBeansShako posted:

Really he's the straight man with a crazy character now. The crazy assholes make the comedy pop.

Yeah I like the two approaches: the npr guy and the truthbary guy spew utter nonsense and the marks just kinda politely nod or look confused, whereas anything involving a republican or right wing spokesman essentially just feeds them the scenario and let’s them dig their own grave.