Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They're a whole field of ponies and they're all literally running towards this job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If they were even remotely serious about finding good people to invest in then the very first episode would be the interview episode so they could weed out the chaff. But they don't, because they know the interview episode is one of the most entertaining (e.g. Solomon) so they stick it near the end.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

SeanBeansShako posted:

You assume they seek normal people out instead of entertaining train wrecks.

No I know what their goal is I'm just impressed how good they are at it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
In the past few years it's seemed more like half the people on the show are actually seeking careers in media/TV rather than genuinely wanting investment for a business. Same as how Big Brother contestants used to be normal lads and lasses and now are predominantly people signed up to talent agencies

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Getting a bit bored of how silly the showpiece challenges are becoming in Great British Bakeoff but I think Rahul is probably the best baker the show has ever had on.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Paperhouse posted:

In the past few years it's seemed more like half the people on the show are actually seeking careers in media/TV rather than genuinely wanting investment for a business. Same as how Big Brother contestants used to be normal lads and lasses and now are predominantly people signed up to talent agencies

As with a LOT of things, blame Katie Hopkins.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

£250k for half your business would mean you think your business is worth about 100k a year aye. Either you’re thick as gently caress or you know you’re useless and your business sucks rear end. A one man band window cleaner or half decent gardener would be worth about that ffs.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bape Culture posted:

£250k for half your business would mean you think your business is worth about 100k a year aye. Either you’re thick as gently caress or you know you’re useless and your business sucks rear end. A one man band window cleaner or half decent gardener would be worth about that ffs.

I wouldn't invest £100k for a share of somebody's bucket tbf.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Pissflaps posted:

what if the bucket was full of diamonds?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

I’d invest another tenner for one more go of yer mams bucket

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

After a while of catching bits of it and not really knowing who a lot of people are, I’ve finally got my wife hooked on Taskmaster. Mwahaha. So now I’m finishing s3 by myself, caught up with s7 with her, and doing s4 with her all simultaneously.

Curious as to what the status of Noel and Bake-off was when s4 went out. Just a massive coincidence that he’s sat next to Mel and it hadn’t been announced/booked by that point? It never came up during episode 1 and curious if it does later.

E: oops forgot to include the bit where my wife hated the show to begin with. I remember she went from being so grumpy while I watched an ep, to not being able to hold some laughter back. Knew the tide had turned then.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 25, 2018

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bape Culture posted:

I’d invest another tenner for one more go of yer mams bucket

I had a go on your dad's squeegee and it left smears.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Paperhouse posted:

Big Brother changed because they had that season which Cameron won (season 4) was considered really boring so they held auditions instead of having people send in videos.
That's why Big Brother 5 was so intense and had so many fights - because it was engineered that way. I'll admit that I really enjoyed BB5 but it was definitely the last good season of it.

I'm sure the Apprentice does that now too. Which is also why they usually have two or three normal people who barely ever get into fights and last until the end even though they're not great at tasks!

Last season's ending really loving annoyed me. As did who they picked!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I really don't get the Apprentice. If I wanted to watch City pricks being City pricks I'd spend my time in literally any pub near Bank/Monument.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Julio Cruz posted:

I really don't get the Apprentice. If I wanted to watch City pricks being City pricks I'd spend my time in literally any pub near Bank/Monument.

We don't all live in London so it's nice having the reminder that the City is brimming with total loving ringpieces.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
So I posted a little bit about Line of Duty in the Bodyguard thread as I didn't start watching LoD until 4 days ago. Haven't been well so pretty much mainlined all four series, not sure about spoilers so I'll tag it all but spoilers from 1-4 ahead:

Season 1:
Cast is amazing, they all get a chance to show off their craft and given the last thing I'd seen Lennie James in was the Walking Dead to see him play Gates was just great, he actually got to do something. apart from squint and sweat.

Storyline sets great base for series and the way everything matters reminds me heavily of the wire.

Season 2:
Probably my favourite season out of the 4, the twists and turns with Lindsay were heartbreaking until the end with the money showing up and me feeling like a fool for believing Lindsay.

I didn't realise that there was going to be any connections to the previous season until the Tommy Hunter reveal.

Season 3:
Did this one come out right after the Saville stuff blew up?

Once again can't fault this series, was amazing to see how long Dot got away with his ruse. His demise was a bit crappy as I was hoping for a full info dump from him about contacts etc but that's not this show I guess.

The Lindsay stuff hit right in the gut, after the previous season I was expecting her to discredit Arnott but the way it played out and her dad end was a hell of a ride and between this and Bodyguard Keeley Hawes is just killing it.

Season 4:
As soon as the Balaclava man popped up I was feeling like the smartest man in the room I was alone in thinking Nick Huntley was the killer. Boy was I wrong. Hilton looked like a dodgy fucker all the way back in Season 1 but they really laid it on thick with the hotel meetings.

Thandie Newton much like Hawes before her just kills this role, she's really good in Westworld but her work here impressed me far more.

Some questions, covering the aired seasons and 5:
After becoming a total Hastings, like the battle, fanboy the last look at the last end of series 4, I'm conflicted if this was a look at Arnott as in he's not fit for service. Or has he put together a team that's going to catch him out as "H"?

Each series exposing more and more of this network of corruption is heady stuff and each series you think that it's done, apart from 4, it rears its head again.

Nick Huntley lawyer may be the smartest character on the show, no statement and refused witness protection. He knows how high it goes and it's better to shut up than talk and risk the repercussions.

I was annoyed as per my comment in series 3 that Dots dying declaration was a little underwhelming but I understand why they did that as it's probably a far more interesting story the way they are planning to tell it.

It's great to see a series where they really keep a pretty tight cast as well, you do have a few orbiting characters that pop up a few times but keeping the main cast so small has let them tell a much more effective story. It feels like so many of the top drama shows have a massive cast they need to work into story's and I feel like LoD is a much stronger for having.

TL:DR Show is loving awesome and I can't wait for more.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dimebag posted:

So I posted a little bit about Line of Duty in the Bodyguard thread as I didn't start watching LoD until 4 days ago. Haven't been well so pretty much mainlined all four series, not sure about spoilers so I'll tag it all but spoilers from 1-4 ahead:

Season 1:
Cast is amazing, they all get a chance to show off their craft and given the last thing I'd seen Lennie James in was the Walking Dead to see him play Gates was just great, he actually got to do something. apart from squint and sweat.

Storyline sets great base for series and the way everything matters reminds me heavily of the wire.

Season 2:
Probably my favourite season out of the 4, the twists and turns with Lindsay were heartbreaking until the end with the money showing up and me feeling like a fool for believing Lindsay.

I didn't realise that there was going to be any connections to the previous season until the Tommy Hunter reveal.

Season 3:
Did this one come out right after the Saville stuff blew up?

Once again can't fault this series, was amazing to see how long Dot got away with his ruse. His demise was a bit crappy as I was hoping for a full info dump from him about contacts etc but that's not this show I guess.

The Lindsay stuff hit right in the gut, after the previous season I was expecting her to discredit Arnott but the way it played out and her dad end was a hell of a ride and between this and Bodyguard Keeley Hawes is just killing it.

Season 4:
As soon as the Balaclava man popped up I was feeling like the smartest man in the room I was alone in thinking Nick Huntley was the killer. Boy was I wrong. Hilton looked like a dodgy fucker all the way back in Season 1 but they really laid it on thick with the hotel meetings.

Thandie Newton much like Hawes before her just kills this role, she's really good in Westworld but her work here impressed me far more.

After becoming a total Hastings, like the battle, fanboy the last look at the last end of series 4, I'm conflicted if this was a look at Arnott as in he's not fit for service. Or has he put together a team that's going to catch him out as "H"?

Each series exposing more and more of this network of corruption is heady stuff and each series you think that it's done, apart from 4, it rears its head again.

Nick Huntley lawyer may be the smartest character on the show, no statement and refused witness protection. He knows how high it goes and it's better to shut up than talk and risk the repercussions.

I was annoyed as per my comment in series 3 that Dots dying declaration was a little underwhelming but I understand why they did that as it's probably a far more interesting story the way they are planning to tell it.

It's great to see a series where they really keep a pretty tight cast as well, you do have a few orbiting characters that pop up a few times but keeping the main cast so small has let them tell a much more effective story. It feels like so many of the top drama shows have a massive cast they need to work into story's and I feel like LoD is a much stronger for having.

TL:DR Show is loving awesome and I can't wait for more.

I only caught snatches of it, isn't that the show were Sandie Newton manages to hide the fact that her arm got amputated?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I only caught snatches of it, isn't that the show were Sandie Newton manages to hide the fact that her arm got amputated?

Technically she hides the injured arm while it goes septic. The amputation is public knowledge and not hidden.

That being said, the smell would be impossible to hide.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Watched the circle - when did a chatroom become social media?
I mean I guess it is but the way they're displaying and talking about the format is so strange to me.

Also the older lady types like an old person, too much detail, not like a chat but like...a letter I guess?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah. It’s ace.

Also it’s Thandie not Sandie - her dad had a lisp.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Captain Mediocre posted:

How do they manage to consistently find the same group of horrifyingly deluded, narcissistic, psychopaths every year. You'd think a few normos would slip in now and then.

After starting to work more with in-house teams of large named brands down in London I think its just the culture down there.

Almost everyone in those corporate environments seems to be a self serving poo poo avoiding the accountability roulette until the business is driven into the ground from gross negligence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
RIP John Cunliffe, who created Postman Pat and Rosie and Jim.

I was such a huge Postman Pat fan when I was little that when my brother was born I wanted my parents to call him "Peter Fogg the Tractor Man".

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
I made a thread for the Apprentice because aside from bingo it's the other thing that almost makes watching it fun

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870004

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

After binging the circle I'm going to say it's amazing and everyone needs to catch it.
It's like with season 1 of big brother - it's all new so nobody really knows what they're doing and that makes it much more exciting.

Kate (alex) is my absolute favourite and I really like the thought which went into what he's doing.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Dimebag posted:

Season 4:

I thought Chief Superintendent Hilton's off-screen death was a bit of a letdown, a character that's been hanging around since Series 1, clearly up to his neck in conspiracy poo poo but then he's killed without saying a word. We didn't even get the satisfaction of seeing him crumble under interrogation.

Count me in as another Hastings fan, Adrian Dunbar plays him with such paternal charm you don't want to believe he could be a bad 'un.

Just a theory, but I don't think he is "H" specifically but may have some dark skeletons in his closet that would come out if he was looked into too closely, which could be why he was so keen to eliminate himself from the investigation. I can imagine a potential endgame of the series could be AC-12 investigating their own boss.

I loving love this show, it's so great that's it gone from a little underdog thing hidden away on BBC2 to massive prime-time success, without any loss of quality.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Taear posted:

I went to see League of Gentlemen live in Blackpool and it was really good. Some new stuff, some old. All great.
Apart from them doubling down on their transphobia, that was really sad and sort of distressing. I feel like people will watch that stuff back in 30 years (if there are any people then) and cringe like you do now if you watch Bernard Manning or whatever.

I'm seeing this in London tonight. I wonder if they'll tone down the transphosphorylation for a more "woke" audience.

Leaving in the autocorrect, because Jesus Christ.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

I'm seeing this in London tonight. I wonder if they'll tone down the transphosphorylation for a more "woke" audience.

Leaving in the autocorrect, because Jesus Christ.

They absolutely won't.
At first it feels like they're making fun of Bernice but the end of her bit you can see they're just really loving mad about people saying Barbara was transphobic. Reece is "that guy" though so it's not surprising.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
That’s disappointing and I’m now glad I couldn’t get tickets

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

HopperUK posted:

That’s disappointing and I’m now glad I couldn’t get tickets

I'll put it in spoilers just in case.

Bernice is backstage which means she's a pre-recorded bit where she's taking letters out of a bowl. The first one is about saying they're a "cisgendered something something" and Bernice kicks off at them for saying that.
Second time it's about wanting to be a unicorn instead of a human man. Again she kicks off.
The last time a man comes out and says 'Stop using this reverend character as a cover for your right wing views' and Bernice comes out of backstage, shoots him with a crossbow and says stop worrying about what bathroom you're going to when western civilization is burning down around us.

It's south park as gently caress.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Pissflaps posted:

Getting a bit bored of how silly the showpiece challenges are becoming in Great British Bakeoff but I think Rahul is probably the best baker the show has ever had on.
He's like a less smug version of Brandon from Season 3.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Taear posted:

I'll put it in spoilers just in case.

Bernice is backstage which means she's a pre-recorded bit where she's taking letters out of a bowl. The first one is about saying they're a "cisgendered something something" and Bernice kicks off at them for saying that.
Second time it's about wanting to be a unicorn instead of a human man. Again she kicks off.
The last time a man comes out and says 'Stop using this reverend character as a cover for your right wing views' and Bernice comes out of backstage, shoots him with a crossbow and says stop worrying about what bathroom you're going to when western civilization is burning down around us.

It's south park as gently caress.

You could interpret it the other way as they say people should stop caring what bathroom people want to use i.e. if someone who identifies as a woman wants to go in the ladies loos then stop freaking out over it... but probably not. There were a couple of digs at things like metoo as well (always be punching down, right?).

I found it amusing that after my previous "woke" comment Bernice also used the term, but I guess it is low-hanging fruit! Show was okay but I didn't enjoy it as much as the wife.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

You could interpret it the other way as they say people should stop caring what bathroom people want to use i.e. if someone who identifies as a woman wants to go in the ladies loos then stop freaking out over it... but probably not. There were a couple of digs at things like metoo as well (always be punching down, right?).

I found it amusing that after my previous "woke" comment Bernice also used the term, but I guess it is low-hanging fruit! Show was okay but I didn't enjoy it as much as the wife.

If it had been presented alone or people hadn't laughed and clapped at Bernice I'd have gone the other way but it definitely didn't feel like anything other than an attack on trans people.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The thing with these comedians is they probably think they're already being really tolerant by not directly insulting any transgendered people, but yeah it is an insult even if they think they're being fairer about it. I imagine they think they deserve some credit for not having a Babs Cabs sketch (though they did refer to her as a him, so they probably still don't get it).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

The thing with these comedians is they probably think they're already being really tolerant by not directly insulting any transgendered people, but yeah it is an insult even if they think they're being fairer about it. I imagine they think they deserve some credit for not having a Babs Cabs sketch (though they did refer to her as a him, so they probably still don't get it).

Their social liberalism only goes as far as things that were acceptable when they were younger. They don't see how this is just the same as 80 years back music hall comedians no longer making jokes about the Irish but moving it on to jokes about black people.
Always the same.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

In other news Hilda on Netflix which is based on a British graphic novel is really cute and worth a watch.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Taear posted:

In other news Hilda on Netflix which is based on a British graphic novel is really cute and worth a watch.

Do you mean Hilda "THEME TUNE BY GRIMES"?

It's pretty neat, my kid loves it even though she's a bit young and gets scared by some of the monsters.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Geoffrey from rainbow has passed away.

I'm going to bounce my balls and play with my twanger in honour of this man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgbcQIT7BMc

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Do you mean Hilda "THEME TUNE BY GRIMES"?

It's pretty neat, my kid loves it even though she's a bit young and gets scared by some of the monsters.

I do, I found that Grimes thing weird but you barely even hear the theme tune.

It really makes me think of Moomin (although I know that's intended)

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 1, 2018

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The end of Evan's tenure can't come soon enough. Inane interview today with one of the Strictly dancers where Evans was trying to get him to slag off his partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Taear posted:

I went to see League of Gentlemen live in Blackpool and it was really good. Some new stuff, some old. All great.
Apart from them doubling down on their transphobia, that was really sad and sort of distressing. I feel like people will watch that stuff back in 30 years (if there are any people then) and cringe like you do now if you watch Bernard Manning or whatever.

Are you under the impression that society has shifted to fully accept trans people or something?

If anything, current ongoing political scandals, the whole TERF slur and the very concept of 97 different genders is losing the movement respect and sending things in the opposite direction.

Men dressed as women has been funny since at least the Viking sagas, and will continue to be so.