Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, the bit at the end was the best part of the episode by far, but other than that, it felt like they were rehashing some of the jokes. I'm not saying it wasn't great, just my least favourite of them so far.

The bit with Simon and the member of the production team was weird. I assume it's going to come back in a later episode, but I was expecting him to be brutally shot down by her. I like Simon, but I hope they find something for him that makes the character worthwhile.

He's there because he's in the radio show and because it shows how loving horrible Alan is. At least Lynn is a dick, Simon's just a nice person that Alan kicks about.
Also apparently as a Sky Sports joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mickolution posted:

The bit with Simon and the member of the production team was weird. I assume it's going to come back in a later episode, but I was expecting him to be brutally shot down by her. I like Simon, but I hope they find something for him that makes the character worthwhile.
Yep. Last line of the episode is "Oh my god that was like an advert for the IRA. Who are we going to blame? Find out who booked them and sack her".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The moment I realized they were going into playing Come Out Ye Black and Tans, I absolutely lost it.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, the bit at the end was the best part of the episode by far, but other than that, it felt like they were rehashing some of the jokes. I'm not saying it wasn't great, just my least favourite of them so far.

There's definitely series long stories. Interesting to note how meek Alan was asking for water in episode 1, when he was grateful for the job, and last night shouting his demands for it as soon as they went to VT. He's going through Madeley into Piers mode. I thought the series might end with him doing a Clarkson, but he already did that in Knowing Me, Knowing You.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Taear posted:

He's there because he's in the radio show and because it shows how loving horrible Alan is. At least Lynn is a dick, Simon's just a nice person that Alan kicks about.
Also apparently as a Sky Sports joke.

Simon is Alan's handpicked minion, someone sort of in sync with him but absolutely an underling. It's about as close as Alan can do to friendship.

Is this as much continuity a non-book has shown for Alan's story? In IAP they never really talked about Knowing Me Knowing Yule, just that KMKYWAP failed, and nothing about shooting a man through the heart with a gun. Likewise nothing from Alpha Papa, and the books contradict the events a bit. And after building a house in IAP2 he was in a semi in Alpha Papa.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Disgusting Coward posted:

I thought it was jumping up its own arse. Incredibly predictable sitcom shiz, coupled with a whole lot of people telling Waller-Bridge's self-insert how spectacular and wonderful she is.

Is this the first episode of the show you saw? Cos it’s always been like this. And man is “up it’s own arse” one of my least favourite phrases to use for criticism ever

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Either the reddit Taskmaster or Not A Panel Show groups have a link to a Google Drive with all of them in it.

This is late, but I just wanted to say thanks. I found a Mega link and have now watched series 1-5 and currently a few away from finishing 6.

So yeah, I like Taskmaster.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

An Ounce of Gold posted:

This is late, but I just wanted to say thanks. I found a Mega link and have now watched series 1-5 and currently a few away from finishing 6.

So yeah, I like Taskmaster.

Did you watch the Champion of Champions specials? Between 5 and 6.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Simon is Alan's handpicked minion, someone sort of in sync with him but absolutely an underling. It's about as close as Alan can do to friendship.

I just absolutely disagree, he walks all over him and they have a very....crackly relationship in Mid Morning Matters.
They're definitely not friends.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

Is this the first episode of the show you saw? Cos it’s always been like this. And man is “up it’s own arse” one of my least favourite phrases to use for criticism ever

Is this the first episode of the show you saw? Cause I can't remember such incredibly hack sitcom shizz as HO HO BE CAREFUL WITH THIS STATUE, FLEABAG, IT'S VERY IMPORTANT oh woopsie she dropped it OR the bollocks with her sister chaining Freudian slips being a feature previously. Combined with the straight-out-of-F.R.I.E.N.D.S wacky punch shenanigans in s02e01 and it kinda seems like the show is heading right up it's own massive arsehole.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Thought Fleabag was great personally.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Mickolution posted:

I saw it as Alan setting up Simon for an on air humiliation and it backfiring. Also as another goon pointed out it is likely the start of something bigger as she was likely responsible for the tortoise smuggling IRA farmers (:newlol:) being booked. A big part of Mid Morning Matters revolved around Alan doing similar things to maintain the power dynamic between himself and Simon. He clearly feels paternal towards Simon but likes to remind him of his place at any opportunity.

crispix fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 19, 2019

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I saw 2 different cars parked over two spaces today and thought, who does that? Then we watched Alan Partridge and I got my answer.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

crispix posted:

I saw it as Alan setting up Simon for an on air humiliation and it backfiring. Also as another goon pointed out it is likely the start of something bigger as she was likely responsible for the tortoise smuggling IRA farmers (:newlol:) being booked. A big part of Mid Morning Matters revolved around Alan doing similar things to maintain the power dynamic between himself and Simon. He clearly feels paternal towards Simon but likes to remind him of his place at any opportunity.

This is also an episode where Simon didn't really do anything wrong. He mastered the twitter/video stuff on the screen after he hosed it up the previous weeks and then when Alan tries to humiliate him it doesn't work. I would be surprised if it comes back up, but who knows.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

this series has been quality so far, loving some partridge

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Disgusting Coward posted:

Is this the first episode of the show you saw? Cause I can't remember such incredibly hack sitcom shizz as HO HO BE CAREFUL WITH THIS STATUE, FLEABAG, IT'S VERY IMPORTANT oh woopsie she dropped it OR the bollocks with her sister chaining Freudian slips being a feature previously. Combined with the straight-out-of-F.R.I.E.N.D.S wacky punch shenanigans in s02e01 and it kinda seems like the show is heading right up it's own massive arsehole.

I feel like the statue thing would have been like a full episode plot in a hack sitcom. The way it happened so immediately here made me laugh super hard

And I felt the punch in 201 was anything but wacky tbh

Freudian slips I wasn’t as big on tho, you have a point there

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Fleabag uses the wacky sitcom elements pretty well to balance out the darker stuff. I’ve enjoyed the episodes so far. It’s one of the more realistic portrayals of miscarriage that I’ve seen on TV and I like Fleabag’s chemistry with the hot priest.

And agree, the bit where she instantly dropped the award was great.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Anyone see Greg Wallace in the pencil factory showing how they put the paint on the ends of pencils?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0736vhb

Series 4.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Is it real?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0727392

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

crispix posted:

Yeah, he certainly likes to be dominant over Simon, especially in the book. If it does turn out to be the spoilered bit, I'm not sure how they'll work it into the show unless Simon says something.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did you watch the Champion of Champions specials? Between 5 and 6.

I did. When they put that karate trophy on the body I lost it. Great gag considering they had the extra Greg head trophy they could have given him sitting right there.

Was that just for the show or does Josh Widdicombe now own a gold sprayed mannequin?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

I love this so much. This programme makes me cackle with glee.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

About to watch live recording of Taskmaster, should be an interesting time.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Anyone watching After Life on Netflix?

I really can't stand Ricky Gervais, but have watched the first four episodes and it has been really good.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I thought it was okay, some parts are really cringy, like arguing with his coworker, when he says things like "if god created the world, who created god?" and acts like its some amazing argument rather than baby's first Atheism. Like how can he be used to arguing with people on twitter 24/7 about that kind of poo poo and thats the best he can come up with?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Yeah, I'll agree with that - the good bits are good and the bad bits are really bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got really put off by the first episode where it has lots of TELLING the audience his character is actually a good guy via the dead wife videos but not actually SHOWING it in any way

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Appears that Paul Sinha has had an operation on his shoulder and can't move his right arm at all. Makes his live tasks on Taskmaster a bit slower than normal.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I can't stand Gervais but I quite liked the first few episodes. The last two are loving awful though. Every character may as well look into the camera and say 'Ricky you are a flawed and angry man but you are also the most pure and good soul in the comedy world has so don't give up. You are also right about everything and we should all stop being so offended by you. Also if you're suicidal you should just cheer up'.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Nope, hard pass for me still.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Somewhere along the line Ricky Gervais has forgotten what nuance is. All his stuff seems to now have caricatures instead of characters

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah I can't stand Gervais but I quite liked the first few episodes. The last two are loving awful though. Every character may as well look into the camera and say 'Ricky you are a flawed and angry man but you are also the most pure and good soul in the comedy world has so don't give up. You are also right about everything and we should all stop being so offended by you. Also if you're suicidal you should just cheer up'.
If we're going to do some psychological reading on this, then I actually think the show is more about Gervais' adolescent atheism which expresses itself through his desire to find "meaning" in life in the event of a death of a loved one.

Thats not a terrible premise, but this show isn't subtle and ends on a shallow, saccharine ending, so the whole thing feels unsatisfying from start to finish. Its got some good gags though and the cast is excellent but they're not really given that much to work with.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I was childishly delighted at the liberal use of the word "oval office" throughout.

I was also a little disturbed at the suicidal people just need to cheer up and get over it bit, and even more disturbed that my friend I was watching with pretty much said, "Well, he's not wrong is he?"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sudden Javelin posted:

Somewhere along the line

When he stopped having Stephen Merchant to step in and tell him to stop being shite.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The twist at the end of the latest episode of Fleabag was amazing and properly jolted me out of my seat.

The only shame will be that the chances of a season 3 drop dramatically with how good Waller-Bridge is and how Hollywood bound she becomes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Total Meatlove posted:

The only shame will be that the chances of a season 3 drop dramatically with how good Waller-Bridge is and how Hollywood bound she becomes.

I feel bad that I literally only know her from Star Wars.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The_Doctor posted:

I feel bad that I literally only know her from Star Wars.

I don't think Solo will propel her to international stardom. In fact, it might have done the opposite. So I am hopeful about series 3.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tsietisin posted:

Appears that Paul Sinha has had an operation on his shoulder and can't move his right arm at all. Makes his live tasks on Taskmaster a bit slower than normal.

That....seems bad?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Total Meatlove posted:

The twist at the end of the latest episode of Fleabag was amazing and properly jolted me out of my seat.

She has already said there won't be another season :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Fleabag, then.

Yikes.