Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

8/8 but the 6 pack question is not like the others - maths under pressure is more difficult that the other questions. (for me at least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Taear posted:

No it's not. Even on pointless a question like that got 80 points.

It's tough if that just happens to be a blind spot in your knowledge. There are no joke options like in some of the others.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cerv posted:

Like 20 people would get “what colour is the sky” wrong though

A photo of planet earth was 95!

I was just thinking that Quiz shows that Judith must have been part of that group that "cheated" to get on too, surely that tars her being the first winner of Millionaire a bit?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

oh but seriously I posted:

One does wonder who even are these people who drop whatever they are doing and start answering trivia questions in the middle of the day

?

Anyone with an office job.

The rubicon question is piss easy, that phrase is used all the time, and anyone with an ounce of curiosity would’ve questioned what the gently caress it means at some point.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

wooger posted:

Anyone with an office job.

The rubicon question is piss easy, that phrase is used all the time, and anyone with an ounce of curiosity would’ve questioned what the gently caress it means at some point.

yeah I mean right here on these very forums it's been used 24 times in 8 years

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Angrymog posted:

8/8 but the 6 pack question is not like the others - maths under pressure is more difficult that the other questions. (for me at least)

Maths questions are impossible to not know though, since you get all the information you need to get the answer.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

I got 8/8 but I think the passing the rubicon question is probably a bit hard for a lot of people. The other answers aren't ludicrous enough to push you in the right direction either.

Taear posted:

No it's not. Even on pointless a question like that got 80 points.

The only one I can't do is the last one because it's a maths question and I can't do numbers in my head.

Actually since we're on gameshows it's really interesting to me on Pointless when we see 1960s songs that to me are obscure as hell getting 60 points or locations in the isle of wight getting 60 points. It's so clear they've got a very specific demo they ask questions of and it's surprising that they do. Salford always coming in as a pointless in city rounds shows how unbelievably southern their demo is for one thing!

Do they actually ask people these questions or use some sort of online algorithm, or just make it up? Always assumed one of the latter two.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Padje posted:

I got 8/8 but I think the passing the rubicon question is probably a bit hard for a lot of people. The other answers aren't ludicrous enough to push you in the right direction either.

Do they actually ask people these questions or use some sort of online algorithm, or just make it up? Always assumed one of the latter two.

For Pointless they do ask people - they use Crowdology to get the answers.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

That's interesting, thanks

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

wooger posted:

It's easy if you know it. Most people will, but it's not as obvious as ones where the other answers are jokes or one that you can work out if you don't know it. People know the phrase, but it could easily come from any of those generals.

Everyone has blind spots in their knowledge.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Strawman posted:

Maths questions are impossible to not know though, since you get all the information you need to get the answer.

That's true, but I seem to remember Tarrant would try to unsettle people who were taking too long.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Showed my brother, who instantly discounted Rubicon as an answer because that's the name of the fizzy mango drink he gets from the kebab shop :imunfunny:

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Have we all watched Save Me and Save Me Too? You've probably seen the ads, but it's about an alcoholic man who takes it on himself to find his estranged daughter when she's the victim of a kidnapping. It's Lewisham Noir, with the protagonist bearing the physical scars (from a post closing time hiding) and a superheroic clothing (a yellow puffa jacket belonging to the ex of his mistress) consistent with the genre. Really recommend it.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah, I used to answer questions for Pointless via Crowdology.

When I was a kid I thought the producers literally went and asked 100 people off the street to give them their answers on Family Fortunes, lol

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Yeah, I used to answer questions for Pointless via Crowdology.

When I was a kid I thought the producers literally went and asked 100 people off the street to give them their answers on Family Fortunes, lol

Back then they probably did.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bogmonster posted:

Showed my brother, who instantly discounted Rubicon as an answer because that's the name of the fizzy mango drink he gets from the kebab shop :imunfunny:

but Rubicon was in the question, not the answer :confused:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've got to series 3 of Ashes to Ashes and man it's mad how much it's just a soft reboot of Life on Mars.
The same storylines (corrupt Super, being investigated by another team) but done over a long period and "better".

Even bits where Gene is portrayed as having being around in London for ages even though he hasn't which I presume were originally meant for the Manchester setting.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Taear posted:

I've got to series 3 of Ashes to Ashes and man it's mad how much it's just a soft reboot of Life on Mars.
The same storylines (corrupt Super, being investigated by another team) but done over a long period and "better".

Even bits where Gene is portrayed as having being around in London for ages even though he hasn't which I presume were originally meant for the Manchester setting.

Oh boy are you in for a surprise

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Everyone enjoying Killing Eve?

I find it very watchable, even though it has absolutely no heart or any real sense of jeopardy. It's stylish as hell and well-written, and I guess that's enough, but I don't know how much longer they can carry on with it.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

Everyone enjoying Killing Eve?

I find it very watchable, even though it has absolutely no heart or any real sense of jeopardy. It's stylish as hell and well-written, and I guess that's enough, but I don't know how much longer they can carry on with it.

I've been posting in the Killing Eve thread but yeah, the first two episodes were a bit "meh" and this season's storyline seemed to be plodding along but that third episode was more like the Killing Eve that I know and love.

Changing the showrunner each year is a novel idea but is ultimately hurting the show. I know she had other commitments but PWB should have just written each series.

EDIT - I'm rewatching all of Spooks as the whole thing is on iPlayer. The wife has never seen it and seems to be enjoying it. I'm enjoying pointing out the numerous plot holes, much to her chagrin!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I started watching Avenue 5 and had to do a double take when I saw that Kerry from This Country is part of the bridge crew on it. Was NOT expecting that!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I never realised that - I'm slowly watching through This Country with the missus, I will drop that bombshell after an appropriate level of teasing next time we put on an episode...

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I love Rebecca Front, but her accent is so bad in Avenue 5

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Tsaedje posted:

I love Rebecca Front, but her accent is so bad in Avenue 5

I can't help but just think of her US reporter character from The Day Today when I hear her. That accent is ok to me but Lenora Crichlow's accent is super bad.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Finished ashes to ashes. I liked the end a lot although we'd kinda worked it out a while back it was still enjoyable.
I think if you CAN work it out that's the best sort of mystery honestly.

A bit confused how the new show will work though.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
At the risk of sounding all "I don't even own a TV!", somebody mentioned that Corrie was going to start filming again soon but older cast members (like Bill Roache) weren't going to be involved as they're more at risk of the 'rona. I haven't been paying attention, were the big 3 still on? Not sure how far in advance they film these things. Were they showing "classic" episodes in their place if they'd run out? Or replaced entirely with something else?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Taear posted:

Finished ashes to ashes. I liked the end a lot although we'd kinda worked it out a while back it was still enjoyable.
I think if you CAN work it out that's the best sort of mystery honestly.

A bit confused how the new show will work though.

I lost a lot of patience with the first series of Ashes to Ashes, but the second got better and the third was nearly as good as prime Life on Mars. Putting Daniel Mays against Philip Glenister was a genius casting decision

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I lost a lot of patience with the first series of Ashes to Ashes, but the second got better and the third was nearly as good as prime Life on Mars. Putting Daniel Mays against Philip Glenister was a genius casting decision

I genuinely liked them all, but I really like Hawes. Her character was so much better than Sam. Sorry Sam.
Although I do feel like moving it to London was a weird choice.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
What got me was that Alex supposedly had Sam's file and knew what happened to him, and so treated the whole first series as a bit of a joke when by the time we get to series three, we all know what is really going on and that one of the reveals is that she didn't really know what happened to him. It makes it a bit better in hindsight but god lord it was grating

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I liked Beat the Chasers :holy:

Very exciting television programme. The chasers came across very differently as a group for some reason

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Was that the very last Friday Night Dinner? :(

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

franco posted:

At the risk of sounding all "I don't even own a TV!", somebody mentioned that Corrie was going to start filming again soon but older cast members (like Bill Roache) weren't going to be involved as they're more at risk of the 'rona. I haven't been paying attention, were the big 3 still on? Not sure how far in advance they film these things. Were they showing "classic" episodes in their place if they'd run out? Or replaced entirely with something else?

I saw something on Twitter the other day to say that they'll run out of episodes of Corrie in June.

Edit: Found the tweet:

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1255849347511734277

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 3, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Interesting, shows how far in advance they’re filming, and in what kind of quantity.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Tonight on ITV Roy believes he's found proof that 5G causes corona virus while a housebound Kirk and Eileen summon Deirdre with a ouija board

Daedo
May 5, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Interesting, shows how far in advance they’re filming, and in what kind of quantity.

It helps that they've also apparently cut back on the 5+ episodes a week of shows like Corrie and Eastenders to just 2 to eke them out further.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I think i would believe literally anything you told me about Phil Mitchell

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Good episode of Friday Night Dinner, felt like a set up to end the show. Really hope it isn't though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Looke posted:

Good episode of Friday Night Dinner, felt like a set up to end the show. Really hope it isn't though.

I really didn't like it, it felt rushed as gently caress. Especially mark heap coming in with the puppies.
Honestly I kinda feel like last season was when it peaked and when Wilson died it felt much more like the ending than this one. And I swear they said it was going to be the last one ever last time too!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

What got me was that Alex supposedly had Sam's file and knew what happened to him, and so treated the whole first series as a bit of a joke when by the time we get to series three, we all know what is really going on and that one of the reveals is that she didn't really know what happened to him. It makes it a bit better in hindsight but god lord it was grating

She knew he killed himself in her time but that was it. Ray told her what happened to Sam. It did fit, there's not a contradiction with it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Casualty skipped an episode and told us the most important plot points in a 1-minute "previously on" lol

It looks like it was an infectious disease episode, lots of PPE and triage in the car park. Looked like a pretty exciting one! Although the only plot points they brought from it is "Marty had an HIV test, his estranged dad is ill" and "Will knows that Fenisha's baby is Ethan's and has ditched both of them, perhaps forever" (was he in the latest episode at all?)

There was apparently an announcement beforehand but I watch on iplayer later so I genuinely thought I'd just forgotten a bunch of important stuff for a minute there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Should’ve just edited those plot points into the next couple of episodes. Continuity be damned if it means characters are changing clothes halfway through a conversation.