Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Paperhouse posted:

It's Purple Haze

And it's most likely Vitamin String Quartet - who are the usual suspects for string versions of popular songs :)

Anyone else jumping on the Masterchef bandwagon this year? I never really follow the other ones, I only like to watch the normal everyday amateur ones with a passion, the young/semi-pro/celeb stuff I don't care for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I have to say the music is particularly ill fitting. I really really don't want food to be portrayed as epic.

I like the old format, in fact, I laughed and became strangely fond of the light drum and bass/dub of the old Masterchef series.

I've only watched the first episode, and yeah, it screams x factor format, which I never really liked to begin with, Charlie brooker has broken down the format so well I get angry when I spot all the techniques used to sway viewers perception present in this series. The old one series hardly did that (the only thing i remember was the oddly drawn out time-scale of the 'winners' announcements that looked like is kept repeating footage of torode/wallace looking grim).

But getting past that, it's pretty ok I think. It's always been the amateurism from a whole range of ages and personalities that's appealed to me and the sweet sweet food.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

DiscoJ posted:

Yeah, it really sounded like the mics just weren't working for a bit.

'It's live a show, what are you gonna do?'

Also, it sometimes seems like Jimmy Carr either hasn't seen, or just doesn't like, the material he has do in that section. Maybe it's just an live vs. editing thing, but I've never seen him look so unsure of himself on any other show.

No?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9iz3KVT0Y0

I could watch masterchef all day if it was presented exactly like that :D.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Unfortunate that you mention Brian Cox, because it reminds me that watching any BBC science program consists of 10 seconds of original CGI footage used continuously, using 3 seconds from different points for the whole program. Arrgghhhhh!!!

Also the new masterchef is doing a good job at making me mad at people crying.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I just tuned in to 24H Panel People to watch Andy Parsons trip his arse up moving to the performance stage. Laughed so much at just the simplicity of a trip.

Right now it's mock the week, and it's really interesting to see how it's all working.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

please no, jedward no

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

So how about that masterchef/great british menu/hairy bikers then? Am I the only one watching the new series of these?

So far all pretty good, the new masterchef format is settling better with me now, although the vegetarian woman seems to be on constant blub alert.

The new GBM is cool, although i was slightly disappointed in a weird way that jennie bond wasn't narrating any more. I'm starting to miss her terrible puns :(

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Comedians are like songs; everyone is apparently listening to the wrong ones and different ones suit different moods.

There's a lot of hate on for many of them in here. Or maybe I just like too many of them. :ohdear:

Anyone watching the new Great British Menu by the way? I didn't realise iPlayer was purging them per week. Urgh, I was a little behind and i lost the last 3 of the North East. That'll learn me.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I've never been particularly offended by David Wallaims and Miranda Hart, but their appearance on the Big Fat Quiz together was some of the most hand gnawing viewing I've ever had the displeasure of enduring.

Plus Jamie Oliver was well pissed. I guess he wasn't sure why he was there either and had a few cheeky ones before going on.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

ChuckDHead posted:

Walliams seems to regularly behave like a bit of a twat on Big Fat Quiz. Watching him getting annoyed over losing to Brand and Fielding a few years back was brilliant.

I sort of get his schtick though, it's tolerable sometimes, at least when I remember him a couple of years ago before he made loads of appearances on shows. He was quite subtle and not so fourthright in his campness, but I think miranda really brought it out into unnecessary overdrive. Plus I've never seen Miranda as a candidate for being annoying either.

It's just when they got together, holy jesus did they suck badly. Joke answers work better when you genuinely don't know! Getting 0 points isn't funny. I secretly pretended the scores were actually a laugh counter ho ho hoo. :smith:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

ChuckDHead posted:

There's a difference between being camp and just acting like kind of an uppity dick. You don't see John Barrowman or Graham Norton getting visibly pissed off over a contest on a TV show (though give Norton a few more years of doing Eurovision and he might crack, I guess).

I did crack a OH SNAP laugh when he was going on about his channel swim and then when Carr mentioned izzard did something like 40 marathons last year Eddie just shrugged it off as no biggie and said something along the lines of "good for you" to Walliams. Such a modest fellow that Izzard, but drat... burn.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Bolt, Ratatouille and Wall-e are all currently showing on iPlayer.

All pretty great films so get them while they're hot (Except wall-e, that always seems to be showing up on iplayer every few weeks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Anyone else watching the Great Sport Relief Bake Off? Usually I'm not a fan of these sort of celebrity versions of shows, but I think the show format is just too good to suck, no matter how it's used.

As someone who followed Masterchef and TGBBO last year, thanks for mentioning this. I think I've got my weekly program sorted for this season now :)