Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Some Strange Flea posted:

I was actually thinking this exact thought earlier today. The most plausible reason is that it's not real.

Derren Brown annoys me because so much of what he does is completely batshit and beyond the realm of an illusionist and yet I'm compelled to believe it's true for no real reason other than wishful thinking. "There's no way that guy on the plane and his family were all actors because that would be so lame." "Oh man, that would totally suck if his Lottery prediction was just a camera trick." This kind of bullshit logic must be how cults and MLMs and poo poo get popular. :(

But you could say this about pretty much every magician. The explanation is always going to be mundane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

LE0N posted:

EDIT, also he isnt that normal or down to earth apparently a friend of mine who used to work in tv said that it got out he used to try and sleep around with staff on his show and he did managed to pull an 18 or 19 year old. She told every one he kept saying "i cant believe im loving an 18-year old!!" during sex. She said it wasnt that uncommon for presenters to do that but with brooker it was just loving awkward. As i said thats the rumour that was going round a few years ago.

Yeah this does sound exactly like something his tv character would do. That fiend, ensnaring the lovely Konnie. I bet it wasn't even a proper Muslim wedding.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So did anyone watch that 'Vatican: The Hidden World' thing that's on iPlayer? It was quite interesting seeing behind the scenes even if it couldn't quite bring itself to criticise anything the Church has done ever.

It's all just so bizarre. It's loving 2010 and there was only one woman in the whole programme. The Pope doesn't have a computer on his desk. The altar boys talk about serving priests. Most of the men wear dresses.

Recommended if you are at all interessted in the Vatican, or if you have someone who enjoys priest molestation humour to watch it with.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

lewi posted:

Whats happening with Channel One/Virgin? They're showing Chuck and Leverage back to back - two of my favourite TV shows. And they just showed an advert for Nikita which they're picking up even though it's only just started showing in the US. Please say this channel will carry on existing...

I'm so sorry.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jeremy Kyle has all the legions of hell at his command, you better watch what you say about him.

Also Jerry Springer and Montel Williams are his nearest US equivalents and they don't seem tough at all either.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Is this where I come to talk about Mrs. Slocombe's pussy?

I just finished another 10 season marathon and every time I watch the lot they get better.

I'm pretty sure only Americans watch that show. It's weird that for a British programme, I only know of it from references to it in American shows and Americans talking about it on the internet. It's not been broadcast in the UK for like 30 years or something.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh OK, I guess I haven't been paying attention to Are You Being Served repeats. It's definitely a lot more popular now on the other side of the pond than it is over here though.

And sorry for calling you American Martytoof.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

fuf posted:

gently caress Andy Parsons I hate him so much :mad:

I'm glad others agree.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion that Britain is the only country that has these kinds of "comedy quiz shows" (Mock the Week, HIGNFY, Shooting Stars, Never Mind The Buzzcocks, etc).

I just don't think shows like that really exist in America (or elsewhere?)

I've heard America doesn't have them. So that would explain why American celebrities always look lost when they appear. They seem to love importing all sorts of our other shows so it seems weird to not import panel shows since they are both popular and cheap to make.

I think other European countries have similar shows though. I know QI has been exported to a few places.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Did no-one watch the Psychoville Halloween special last night? I thought they did an excellent job of having a perfect balance between horror and comedy.

Yeah I thought it was great. Especially the clown's story, those kids were actually pretty drat creepy. And I loved the insane conspiracy stuff at the end, I clearly need to rewatch the first series now because I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. In a good way.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Whybird posted:

In and of itself it was good, but it didn't really change anything that was going on. Most of the stories were either dubious or revealed to be false at some point or another: Joy's and Mr. Jolly's were made up, David's was a dream and Oscar's was a friend-of-a-friend urban legend. But that's probably for the best: one of the things I liked best about Psychoville was that (almost) everything had a rational explanation, not just "it was ghosts".

Yeah the structure of it kind of reminded me of the old Simpsons Halloween specials, they were always amazing. Well they were before the Simpsons became poo poo of course.

But the stuff at the end with the spy-types after the jewellery actually happened right? Certainly seemed that way since they appeared in the preview teaser thing for the next series.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ahaha Misfits was great. Got to love Nathan eating the Cornetto.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zorba the Greek posted:

Has Damien Lewis become even MORE posh?

I can't take him seriously since I saw this amazingly bad movie poster in the bad movie posters thread in Cinema Discusso-

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Figaro posted:

Poor Tamwar, trapped in a dirty corner of soapland, surrounded by cartoony wheeler dealers, hysterical mothers and exaggerated queen bitches. He'd be so much happier in Hollyoaks

Wouldn't we all?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's quite simple- Phoenix Nights was excellent, everything else Peter Kay has done has been painfully unfunny. His co-writers on Phoenix Nights must have been responsible for all the good stuff.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That thing where he was an ice cream man was pretty funny too actually. It was more than ten years ago though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Seinfeld is great you idiots.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'd say Kelvin MacKenzie is worse than Piers Morgan. Piers at least has been kind enough to gently caress off to America.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

They sometimes do late night specials. Essentially it's the same total madness, but with added sex and violence.

Ah yes, I remember the late night male rape special, it was the talk of my school. "You little gay bastard, I'm going to teach you a lesson you'll never forget!" Tasteful stuff.

Fatkraken posted:

Oh man, I LOVE that British soaps have a special helpline at the end of particularly nasty episodes. "If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in tonight's Eastenders, please call 0800 123 456 for free confidential advice".

Sure it's usually after an episode about something legitimately nasty and widespread like suicide or mental illness or domestic abuse or whatever, but sometimes you wonder if there's someone at home going "poo poo, I DID get raped, kill my rapist then have my husband fall off a roof to his death while running from the police, better call that number!"

They even did the helpline after the Van Gogh episode of Doctor Who. "If you have been menaced by invisible aliens, call this number" (well ok it was because the episode dealt with suicide and depression)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

They should either cancel HIGNFY or get a new permanent host and new team captains. As great as Hislop and Merton have been in the past I'm just really fed up with them doing the same old poo poo every week.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Afterdark posted:

Fantastic! wasn't expecting it to be that good, I was crying from laughter from the absurdity of it but at least it didn't end up like the brookside helicopter crash.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbue9d_brookside-helicopter-crash_shortfilms

How many times was there a police siege and/or explosion on Brookside? Seems like it happened at least four or five times.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

King Crab posted:

Man, I don't get all the Micheal Macintyre hate that's going on here. He seems to really love what he is doing and I think it gives him a great energy.

Why can't we all just team up and hate on the comedy black hole that is James Corden?

James Corden may be an unfunny, boring, unwatchable disgusting fat piece of poo poo but he is less irritating and funnier and a better person compared to McIntyre.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Idioteque Dance posted:

I really enjoyed that show and also think it was far more entertaining than his recent TV series/specials. I'll try to see him live.

About his second-last live show (I think), An Evening of Wonders, he did the oracle trick where he just heard an audience member shout out and he immediately identifies their name, profession, hobbies, etc. Really impressive - I'm not exactly sure how it was done but from reading his book I gather it's about getting the momentum and pressure so great that the audience simply have to say "yes, that's right" to everything otherwise they'd feel like they'd be ruining the show? He mentioned a lot of his hypnotism acts are similar - some people are completely suggestible, some people not, but most people somewhere in between are too embarrassed to be a buzzkill during a great show so they go along with it.

Or am I off-base with that?

I'm not a magician, but yes I was under the impression that this is how stage hypnotism works.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The charts are completely meaningless, and have been for at least a decade. Nobody buys singles any more.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Leyburn posted:

Singles sales are actually at an all time high in the UK. Went from 44m in 2002 to 120m in 2009.

Downloads aren't really the same thing as the singles of old, as the hundreds of shut down music shops across the country could tell you.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Monster w21 Faces posted:

No you're not. I think it's a sad state of affairs where being a loving waiter has become an aspirational occupation.

Yeah I'm watching it now waiting for Louis Theroux and I'm just baffled. They are getting emotional about being able to fetch wine for rich bastards.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hahaha, that Top Gear thread is terrible.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Space Butler posted:

Oddly enough I've been watching that over the last couple of days. It's a hell of a lot better than the first film at least, I haven't seen the other two.

Are you saying that the cartoon is amazing or that the first film is bad? Because both these things are wrong.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DiscoJ posted:

For me, the repeated content is still interesting enough and the additions funny enough that it's still well worth watching. Also, I feel the show benefits from the way it focuses on a single idea the whole way through. I mean, this stuff may have been covered before, but I don't remember it being this in-depth.

Yeah it's more in depth and also updated. The UK version of super sweet 16 wasn't on the original Screenwipe episode for example. They have taken something that was only a shortish segment on the original and expanded it to fill a full episode and it works well.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Metrication posted:

I thought Jimmy Carr's sketch thing was funny but I'm getting a bit bored with banker bashing now.

Nobody should ever stop banker bashing.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I still have the BNP membership list saved on this computer, so I had a look. There is an Alan Moore on it, but he lives somewhere different from the comic book guy Alan Moore. And also it's obvious from his work and things he's said that he's no BNP supporter.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Actually Josie Long would be great on 10 o Clock live- if you read her Twitter most of her posts are about how much she hates the Tories. So her usual niceness wouldn't be a problem.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

She's pretty funny, and 10 o Clock live has improved to the point where it is also pretty funny!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Beeswax posted:

I'm setting myself up to be publicly humiliated here but I've never really got what's so great about Adam & Joe, with the caveat that I have only heard like 1½ of their shows in total. I love Collings and Herrin, and they keep going on and on about hwo great Adam & joe are. And so does everyone else. I just thought it was a couple of midly amusing hours of two grown men acting like they're children. I don't mean that as necessarily a bad thing but the affected naivete with which they address each other and set up jokes didn't do anything for me.

Feel free to boo me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmIGr-add88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cd2TLIbhMg

marktheando fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 1, 2011

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Reminder that Sky News tried (unsuccessfully, thank gently caress) to set up Richard Littlejohn as some kind of British Glenn Beck or Bill O'Reilly. They are awful.

And if anyone here has Sky tv they are part of the problem and should feel terrible.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Please, get this foul colonial pony poo poo out of this thread. British programmes for British threads.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kin posted:

edit: you know what i'd like to see. A blend of a sci-fi/educational TV show.

This was the original idea behind Doctor Who. Futuristic episodes would teach about science, historical ones would teach history. But then the Daleks were so popular they pretty much dropped the educational stuff in favour of more monsters.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kin posted:

Also, irony detection boxes across the nation exploded this evening when viewers watched the last section of the C4 news. :suicide:

Could you explain for those of us not watching?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kin posted:

It's on 4+1 if you want to watch it in all it's glory yourself, but basically the segment was going on about how sensationalised everything is relating to nuclear power.

Oh I see. Jon Snow has been tweeting lots of bollocks recently about how hopefully this incident means a nuclear free future and how it's a wakeup call etc etc so I'm too annoyed with him to actually watch C4 news right now.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Really? gently caress.

I used to think you were cool, Jon Snow. :smith:

jonsnowc4 posted:

Cannot imagine a free population ever permitting another nuclear power plant built in our time fukushimas legacy to humanity..objectivity? 3:29 AM Mar 15th via Echofon

http://twitter.com/jonsnowc4

Yeah, it's a shame he has Bad Opinions about nuclear power but he generally otherwise seems cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Isn't one of the new main characters a convicted child molestor who was about to get a lethal injection?

Yeah it's going to be great. It will either be car crash tv at its finest, or it will actually be legitimately good like Children of Earth was. So it can't fail to entertain.