Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Captain Mediocre posted:

New Taskmaster is better than its been for a long while. The lineup for this series is excellent.

I thought strict Greg was going to ruin the episode. It made it even more hilarious. But I hope it's not a season long bit. Arguing over points is a good part of the other seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Thinking back to growing up in rural Idaho, and all the 88 tattoos I saw. It seems like it was a really significant year for a ton of people. I suspect there was a big event that everyone got them around the same time because it seems like there was a font that was really popular when they went in.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The one thing about the studio this season is it seems like Greg is the one making them laugh. The contestants don't seem to be engaging as much, with each other, or even with Greg.

And holy poo poo they are terrible at the prize task. Mawaan's bunny was good though.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 24, 2020

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

stev posted:

I feel like they used to make more effort with the prize tasks. Like the wedding ring, the blank cheque etc. Now they all seem very last minute, or like they're trying to be funny-bad rather than get points.

I miss the "get Greg a present" task too. The long term tasks were great when they really made the effort, like the tattoo.

Josh was just the best overall.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I don't think there's any real carry over from season to season (except for Champion of Champions) so order could just be best to worst if you wanted?)

So : 7,2,5,4,1,9,3,8,6 (although 8 has some of my favorite tasks I think the cast isn't great.)

And honestly all of them besides 3, 8, and 6 are all pretty equally great.

Edit: Oh poo poo, I forgot 8 had Ian Stirling who might be the best worst contestant in the entire show. So 8 is also great.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 24, 2020

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

stev posted:

Lmao just discovered that the pancake thing they made is French. What a shitshow.

No, they put matcha on it. It's the most Japanese dish ever invented.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Gambrinus posted:

The catapult attempt had me in tears.

It might honestly be the worst performance by any contestant on any task on any season. It was absolutely hilarious.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Daisy wasn’t talking crazy! Shallow diving is a thing.

https://youtu.be/Qc25Ewq9QBI

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

There are strings you can enter in at the dialler to get your phone number displayed, even without credit. I'm genuinely surprised that no one tried that and they all just followed the rules.

I’ve hacked, rooted, and done a bunch of other dumb poo poo with my phones. I have no idea what those numbers are. Why didn’t these old comedians?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My week just never feels complete if I haven't had an 80s bake.

The high point of Bake Off was when that guy baked like 3 dozen different loaves of bread.

And rewatching that, Alvin totally didn't get the credit he deserved for that. Paul's feedback was "Everything was baked absolutely perfectly, but we asked you to make a single sculpture, and you made multiple."

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 10, 2020

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I mean just this season they had "Here's some food coloring, make normal bagels." and people managed to gently caress that up.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Daisy’s performance with the watermelon would be an all time great if it was the first time the watermelon challenge had happened. Because it’s essentially a repeat task it lost as little bit. But holy poo poo the English language doesn’t have a word to describe what she did to that watermelon.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

As is making phallic things and going ‘oooooo’.

That’s no way to talk about Matt Lucas.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I don’t have much of an opinion on Richard except I love that you can see his pure unbridled joy in the barrel task. It’s a classic Taskmaster “game” and he’s just so so excited to try his best at a pointless frustrating task.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Taear posted:

Also as I've said before Matt and Noel don't work with the contestants, it's cringy

Noel's moment of encouragement with Laura in the finale was probably the only good moment either of them (Matt or Noel) had in the entire series, and it's a shame that it happened once in the entire series. But I'm a sentimental idiot.

Also Laura's response of "I quite like my life," after Noel said "Winning would change your life," made her instantly the best finalist. (After being one of the most boring contestants for the rest of the series.)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think I liked it because it was a slap down of any sense of THIS BAKING IS IMPORTANT. Not to say it hasn't kicked off a few entertainment careers, but Bake off is at it's best when the stakes are low. "It's just a cake" and all.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The rest of the world wants panel shows so they can get a couple dozen comedians comfortable on TV but scientists are very clear that the UK alone has more than the planet can realistically sustain.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

tsob posted:

I listened to the latest Taskmaster podcast episode after that, and Ed Gamble (the host) defended the decision to not award Johnny any points by saying people come down on Greg if he's not impartial when judging and it's just left me a little confused, because I thought his schtick as the Taskmaster was being mercurial and just doing whatever he wants when scoring. Which I find far more fun than him sticking rigidly to a defined rule. As to the tasks, even in the same episode, the very next task with everyone having to complete 5 mini tasks, each with only a ten second window seemed annoying too, just because there were so many rules to keep track of i.e. you can't cross this line, you can only move when the door is moving, you have to pick a door and only have so much time to do it and so on. It didn't seem to bother the contestants too much, but as a viewer it felt too complicated for it's own good.

I was hoping it would be you could do doors over, and then whoever took the shortest amount of time to complete all of them.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

This raises the question of what is the harshest judgement that the Taskmaster has ever given? The saddest will forever be Joe begging for his red green achievement to not be taken away, but that wasn't even a decision by the Taskmaster.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Taear posted:

(always acting like the task is for her and Alex)

This is my favorite recurring thing with Katherine. I was thrilled to see that it started with the first task. I don’t think it’s intentionally funny, which makes it even funnier.

Her entire character (or actual personality?) is not quite understanding this weird show, and over the season it’s actually grown on me.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

stev posted:

Yeah it was really good. The photocopier task fell slightly flat but the rest was gold. Best prize task entry since the early days?

Between Alex having his head dunked in water, several blindfolded people stumbling into a bunker, Sarah firing a staple at Alex's head and Lee flailing a nail bat around I'm amazed there were no serious injuries.

There's something incredible that even after 11 seasons throwing some blind folds on people, and telling someone to guide them using just 3 words every 30 seconds produces one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television.

Mike's prize task doesn't beat Josh's tattoo, but it's a good attempt.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Zurtles

Pablo Bluth posted:

Close. Zealanders.

The rare quadruple redundancy.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pork Lift posted:

Whose line is it anyway, maybe?

If you mean sitcom the office is probably the only contender depending on whether you prefer silly manchildren to on the nose workplace misery.

But enough about Ricky Gervais.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Irisi posted:

My god, it was spooky how absolutely every single BBC channel immediately switched to Huw Edwards in black and all the radio stations cut to a single newsreader.

I know they've had this planned since 1968 or whatever, but still, it was a little eerie.

(Also, if this fucks with Strictly or Bake Off next week, my mum and aunties will NOT be pleased. Nothing should get in the way of Sponge Cakes and Sequins Season on the TV)

I believe cremation works quickly enough that they can make her remains into flour by then.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Irisi posted:

Grand Designs may have been going for nigh on 23 years at this point, but still, the programme has the ability to surprise with just how pitifully, wilfully blind to costs, timescales and practicalities the amateur housebuilders are.

This couple tonight are particularly tragic. They have £1 million to build a MONSTROUS 500 metre square house atop a hill in the countryside for them, their 80 year old parents and their children when they come to stay.

The chap: "We'll come in under budget, our builders are very reliable"
The builders: "LOL the steel frame is £50K over budget in the first week and our lorries can't get 'owt up that loving unpaved hill"

The chap: "We'll finish on time"
COVID: "LOL, what was that?"

The chap: "We are sourcing our cladding and windows from Europe"
Brexit: "LOL, no you're not"

The chap: "It will be a wonderful communal living experience for us and our aged parents"
The aged parents: "Don't loving want to live out in the countryside 10 miles from the nearest shop, we like our wee place in town with the bus stop outside, also, guess who's got terminal cancer?"

Absolutely sodding brutal viewing. House was diabolical too, the outside looked like our local health centre, and the roof obstructed all the views from the upstairs bedrooms.

The whiplash between episode 2 and 3 of this series was absolutely crazy.
Episode 2 - Here's a factory built home. It is inexpensive (350k), modern, well built and well designed , finishes in 9 months, no problems, only 20 grand over budget.
Episode 3 - We didn't like literally any of the people we hired, so we taught ourselves how to build a house over 6 years, had to build the house ourselves, and likely spent hundreds of thousands of pounds more than we planned.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I’m shocked at how smoothly I’ve transitioned from genuinely enjoying Bake Off to hate-watching it. With the terrible foreign theme weeks, to just making up random criteria that have no basis on the actual dish, (You don’t want a gooey marshmallow on your s’more folks,) to giving them absurdly terrible appliances (or none at all to make tortillas) and then judging them on the performance of said appliances. It’s essentially a Food Network quality show at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It was obvious who was going to win when they did truly insane flavor combinations that the judges had never heard of before, like *checks notes* peanut butter and jelly.